**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Depends what your goals are and what you have fun doing. You definitely have time, but it's certainly a grind at some points and the ultimate reward is basically a different weapon model with 'custom' stats that will likely be replaced not that far into the expansion. Allegedly having the current relic completed will provide some progress for the next one, but who can say what that amounts to.

I did mine, and actually when all is said and done I'll likely have two Zeta weapons but it was something I wanted to do and I've already got almost everything levelled/a house/a ton of money/etc.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Depends what your goals are and what you have fun doing. You definitely have time, but it's certainly a grind at some points and the ultimate reward is basically a different weapon model with 'custom' stats that will likely be replaced not that far into the expansion. Allegedly having the current relic completed will provide some progress for the next one, but who can say what that amounts to.

I did mine, and actually when all is said and done I'll likely have two Zeta weapons but it was something I wanted to do and I've already got almost everything levelled/a house/a ton of money/etc.

Should I put in the effort then? I guess I should try, my determination and mind needs to get up a bit, healing only 1250~ HP doesn't help alot.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Well I've given up on this game. Too much focus on casual/social stuff. There hasn't been a challenging dungeon since Pharos Sirius and they quickly nerfed that. If you can't beat it while chatting about the lastest pair of panties your male miqo'te is wearing then I guess it's too hard.

It all plays to the audience though I guess, I think the community got more up in arms about males being able to wear the latest female glamour gear then I've ever seen lol

Heavensward has some cool new jobs and such but I don't think it's going to change in regards to difficult content. If anything that is going to become even more rare.

You've beaten coil? Got any tips on how to dodge divebombs better? I seem to always get clipped by it.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well unless you're clearing Final Coil the relic is the only way to get a weapon better than a Shiva-Ex one currently. Though at the same time if you're not running Final Coil you don't really need a super fancy weapon either and a Shiva or Soldiery weapon is perfectly good and far, far easier to obtain.

Again, it's up to you and what you like/want to do. You don't really need it for anything and it is a serious timesink (latter stages are going to take significantly longer than collecting Atma) but if you love dungeons (that's the bulk of it) and want to farm them already for glamours/cards/soldiery/etc then maybe it fits your schedule. At this point Atma is basically the quickest/easiest part and is followed by (imo) the worst part, the Animus books. You might want to look up the stages and decide if it's worth the effort.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
FFXIV had a two-week free login period. They sent me an e-mail to let me know about it the day after it expired. Fail. I'd definitely have played a bit at least.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
You've beaten coil? Got any tips on how to dodge divebombs better? I seem to always get clipped by it.

Yeah and had full bis for a quite while now which really didn't help my getting bored.

My group had pre-assigned spots in relation to Bahamut. After twins indicator shows up we start moving to those spots and on the way watch for the direction twin is coming from, if it's to your spot you adjust and then quickly move to your spot when safe. It's a little tricky to run and rotate your camera fast enough and the hit box is a lot bigger than you might think.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
We use a similar system, but we're only starting to get into the divebomb phase reliably so I guess it comes down to more practice. Bahamut's dives are really freaking wide and if I move anything but laterally until the dots disappear I'll get clipped. Sometimes I'll be in twin's path and clipped as well.

I think the part I'm having the most problem on is: should I move when twintania's green icon occurs? At that point the divebomb path is set and I should GTFO and start running to my position while watching for twintania?

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah the second you see twins green marker it's safe to move, the faster you react to it the more time you have to figure out if twin is coming your way.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
So I tried that method last night: works perfectly and I didn't get clipped all night! :D

now if we can get reliable attendance so we don't have to keep retraining tanks to do phase 1...

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So I resubbed.....

Did crossfire get worse in the last six or eight months with this game? I have 2 x 7970 and am having some large crossfire issues. Disappear entirely when I drop to 1 gpu. Frame pacing is unplayable despite high frame rate. Tons of artifacting.

Might be my 2nd gpu is dying though. I bought it refurbished. Never had any issues with it in any other game though. I do notice that the artifacting gets worse when temps get high, but its pretty bad all the time regardless. Might be time to retire them...

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Never run Crossfire myself, game runs more than well enough on a single 7950 so can't say. I'm not aware of any significant technical changes in the major patches, it's mostly been content but I generally skim those sections at best anyway. I'd check your drivers first.

Up to like 64-65 Triad cards! It really is quite a fun distraction, particularly since you can play while in queue. I wish you could chocobo race while in queue - and copying TT's idea of having 'racers' planted around the world that you could challenge for bonus XP or maybe some of the training manuals/food would be a neat way to improve it, I think people like that about TT.

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
So I resubbed.....

Did crossfire get worse in the last six or eight months with this game? I have 2 x 7970 and am having some large crossfire issues. Disappear entirely when I drop to 1 gpu. Frame pacing is unplayable despite high frame rate. Tons of artifacting.

Might be my 2nd gpu is dying though. I bought it refurbished. Never had any issues with it in any other game though. I do notice that the artifacting gets worse when temps get high, but its pretty bad all the time regardless. Might be time to retire them...

This game is really strange with stability. I run a single 580 and FFXIV has occasionally caused my entire system to become unstable and even reboot. This never happened with any other game.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
So Heavensward is available. My brother preordered it, and my opinion on preordering is simple (Don't do it), he found out the Steam version isn't available and he might not get his refund. Should he still email Squeenix to see if he can?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't think requiring a new character is how any expansion has worked in almost any MMO lol. It's "just" a new continent/race/story/jobs/levels essentially. Unless you're dying to be the Au Ra race, but in that case I'd recommend a fantasia before making a new character.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So I'm still figuring out how much things have changed and it looks like quite a bit. Trying to figure out which class to play. I have a Bard and SMN that were high ilvl before I quit, ~95. The Bard is working on atma books, the SMN is still on atma stones.

I'd like the option of having both classes playable on higher level content but I don't think that's possible right now without working relic quest on both. I'd really rather not have to do that. Are there high ilvl weapons that don't suck right now that I could use for SMN?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Soldiery weapon is i110 or Shiva Extreme weapons are i115, best value weapons. Past that it's either relic, Dreadwyrm (final coil) or ironworks (final coil tomestone drop).

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Soldiery weapon is i110 or Shiva Extreme weapons are i115, best value weapons. Past that it's either relic, Dreadwyrm (final coil) or ironworks (final coil tomestone drop).

Also 2.55 is coming March 31st and there is a rumor about Encrypted Tomestone being added to CT.

But yeah, Soldiery weapon is basically handed to you and i110. Get that and forget the relic unless you really want to do it.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Also 2.55 is coming March 31st and there is a rumor about Encrypted Tomestone being added to CT.

But yeah, Soldiery weapon is basically handed to you and i110. Get that and forget the relic unless you really want to do it.

Interesting. Any info on what's coming up in this patch?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
It all plays to the audience though I guess, I think the community got more up in arms about males being able to wear the latest female glamour gear then I've ever seen lol

After seeing some of the latest 'uproar' over the Triple Triad tournaments and how absurd the reaction was - and how absurd-er some of the reactions are to the dev/official replies actually bothering to address it - I think you could really make a case for them listening 'too much' at times. The community isn't always wrong but it sure as hell isn't always right either - and it's kind of insane how incompetent the vocal minority is (or how the vocal minority is always the incompetents). Repair costs, gil fountains, Pharos Sirius, magicked stable brooms, FATE completion, "RNG", being poor and I'm sure more I'm blanking on have all been treated the same way - "Losing shouldn't be part of the game" essentially. I think sometimes Yoshi should tell them to suck it up lol.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Eh, a lot of the changes were for the better. Magicked stable brooms were just ridiculous to make (glazenut for a fucking broom? really?) and lots of the little tuning things were nice overall.

I didn't feel like pharos needed to be nerfed but it was certainly VERY difficult for its ilevel when it just came out. I barely cleared it with i90 people that sort of knew what they were doing and wiped a few times on siren. Couldn't clear it with 2 blms when 1 of them didn't have a good enough weapon thanks to siren enrage. i75 was a little optimistic for the requirement.

2.55 is just unlimited FCOB runs and easier triple triad matches against npcs, that's about it.

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Eh, a lot of the changes were for the better. Magicked stable brooms were just ridiculous to make (glazenut for a fucking broom? really?) and lots of the little tuning things were nice overall.

I didn't feel like pharos needed to be nerfed but it was certainly VERY difficult for its ilevel when it just came out. I barely cleared it with i90 people that sort of knew what they were doing and wiped a few times on siren. Couldn't clear it with 2 blms when 1 of them didn't have a good enough weapon thanks to siren enrage. i75 was a little optimistic for the requirement.

2.55 is just unlimited FCOB runs and easier triple triad matches against npcs, that's about it.

Yeah pretty much. Also the last part of the main story quests before HW.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I kind of liked it. It was something that benefit the entire FC afterall - I don't think making it a little more demanding was a bad thing. It fits with the traditional completely idealistic model of how people like to imagine guilds run lol - one guy does the gardening, one guy does the gathering, one guy does the crafting AND BY OUR POWERS COMBINED WE CAN CLEAN OUR CHOCOBO STABLES!

But more than that it's that these kinds of things blow up based on bad information and overreactions. People thought you needed to clean the stables to feed the chocos - not true, thought they needed a broom every day - not true, thought you only crafted a single broom at a time - not true. There was no consideration for the fact that carpenters could use some practical/useful crafts at the time, that you could craft brooms once and be set for weeks/months, that it wasn't the end of the world if your stables weren't sparkly for a little while until the plants were done growing. But there's never a cooldown or 'lets wait and see how this goes' it's just hyperbole straight out the gate of how terrible it is. Which is completely expected considering, you know, "gamers".

But I think it's a slightly slippery slope how quick SE/the team is to assuage it sometimes. God forbid when the airship crafting comes out and it's actually kind of expensive or time consuming. I can't wait to see how that pans out lol.