**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Odin is a little bit of a bastard, can't really have a healer or DPS slacking off (though if you have a group of 8 and take only 1 tank that'd probably help). If that ends up in the Trial Roulette there's going to be so much vote abandon for it lol.

Lucis seems pointless for crafters, I hear it's nice for fishers though. I might go for one of them eventually just because but have plenty of other things I'd rather do first. Even the new body pieces don't really help with much of anything but I do appreciate getting the armory chest space back.

Alex drop rate seems to be as high as 20-30% for a Gold on a fate? Only going off a few second hand reports.

I had a total brainfart and rolled greed on the first drop in WoD and won the tank belt as SCH lol. After one run I feel like it was pretty well done, I want to say they reduced trash but made the encounters a bit more involved.

New crafted weapons are pretty handsome.

Lots of questing to do still and haven't hit the new dungeons yet but so far so good for the patch.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Omnilex Novus at last! The alex from fates helped, probably got an extra 1-3 most days without too much trouble.

Latest hildibrand installment was as ridiculous as ever but actually ended pretty well, it wasn't completely shallow and learning more about Uldah/Sildih/Belahdia was actually kind of interesting along the way.

The main story is... a little scatterbrained I feel. I guess it's kind of understandable how it jumps back and forth between Uldah intrigue, primals, Ascians, dravanians, the empire etc as the Scions basically perform triage but at the same time there's a lot to keep track of. And it's made all the more arduous by the long intervals between quests. I did particularly like the Midgardsormr arc.

Also RIP Moenbryda. She was actually pretty cool. Though I'm not prepared to say she's gone for good yet.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
DX11 is definitely in the pipeline though I don't think there's any concrete date yet. Subsequent major 2.5x patches are still coming in likely Feb-Mar and the expansion is scheduled for "Spring" which is most likely Apr-May, that DX11 will arrive with or following the XPack is the general impression iirc.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
DX11 is definitely in the pipeline though I don't think there's any concrete date yet. Subsequent major 2.5x patches are still coming in likely Feb-Mar and the expansion is scheduled for "Spring" which is most likely Apr-May, that DX11 will arrive with or following the XPack is the general impression iirc.

Good, I bought an i5 just for this game and it still runs bad D:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
So, people still play this game? I'm really tempted (again) to give this a try.
Is the monthly fee still 12.99?

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I can't speak towards other servers (mine is one of the larger ones afaik) but the game is still very much active in my eyes. I think the regular content patches (major ones every 3 months with subsequent "medium" updates once or twice in between) has really engendered a lot of goodwill with the playerbase and they've done a pretty good job of incorporating feedback into making the game better. Simple little things like the reducing the number of times you have to click to assign a retainer mission or being able to have certain windows (stay) open at the market board - convenient stuff like that adds up over time.

There's multitudes more things to do now than there was this time a year ago - and while contrived - they've included a lot of mechanics to reward/incentivize 'far along' players to go back to older content which helps those playing catch up.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
the vertical progression of gear, for better or worse, makes it very easy for old returning players to gear up.

Run high level roulettes, run expert roulettes... in 2 weeks and you'll be rocking the same/better gear slotwise. After the new patch drops most people will have the last patch's BIS in a few weeks.

Shiva is easy and your weapon is on the same wavelength as the high allagan stuff. /shrug

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yeah, a friend of mine just started again having not played since pre 2.1. He's got a lot of story quests and such to clear through first, but once you unlock CT/ST and the new set of dungeons you could easily run through them a few times, get a bunch of soldiery and probably a few drops and end up almost up to date in not too many days. Or if you've got crafter friends most of the i90 stuff is dirt cheap to make at this point and gives a decent head start, I made him a set of cashmere/saurian healing stuff to replace that fugly old darklight/strategos stuff lol.

Allegedly at least two other people I used to play with are considering re-subbing since their WoW group is already losing steam but I'll believe it when I see it. People love them some expansions, and at least one of them always wanted to be a Ninja lol.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
wow expansion has less end game content than FF14 right now, I won't be surprised if a bunch of people resub for FF14's exp.

New race, 3 new classes and a whole new set of raids/dungeons... I can't wait to get some dark knight and machinist action on. They just need to expand our armory.... 25 slots is not enough.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Indeed. I also wish they'd move glamouring away from "make this piece of gear look like this this other piece of gear you actually 'physically' posess" and make it more of a catalog system like Diablo uses. So that each time you get something with a new appearance it just 'unlocks' that look permanently in your "glamour log" or whatever. You'd have to still bind or destroy tradable items when the glamour is obtained (could even do a desynth -> 'glamour essence' type thing so it's optional) so people can't just re-sell stuff, but ultimately I think it would be way nicer. Could even weave it in with the dye interface then.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Hory crap I got my Omnilex Nexus. The light grind wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated (admittedly the recent doubling of light helped lol) but considering I'm going to be doing WoD a handful of times per week and CT/ST at least once and expert every day - if you just keep an eye out on one of the trackers for when some of those are in the bonus window and wait to run them it helps out a fair bit. Otherwise I just did a mix of HM primals and T4 when they were bright.

Gold Saucer patch in two weeks! It's going to be a madhouse soon as it opens lol, but I'm really interested in trying out Chocobo racing and Triple Triad at least. Looks like it'll reward some nifty glamours as well.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
turn 5's your first "mechanic check" type of boss fight that no amount of echo buff will help. Conflags will 1 shot you, death sentence still hurts, twisters are insta kill, low dps means adds don't die, dreadknights, etc.

You'll notice this pattern as you clear coils. First 3 turns are "farm" turns and the last one is the "tough" turn.

Also I'm still barely getting lights. Not farming them at all outside of expert/trials and I don't main paladin anymore.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You can get a i110 weapon so easily these days, don't be sad. Run ST a few times and tomestone/sand your way to a shiny i110. Or shiva it up.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Not to mention most of the T5 weps are ugly as sin lol, you're not missing out really.

Monk is the the next to last class I have to level (still haven't played Ninja) but I find myself wishing I'd done it sooner, I've really liked it all the way up to mid 40s so far. I generally play war/sch and but I do want a tertiary DPS just in case. The whole movement thing is kind of contrived/arbitrary, but at the same time I like the more engaged playstyle it provides.

And man I have run WoD more than a few times each week and still haven't seen my stupid healing skirt lol, rough.

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
I've had the 110 soldiery weapon since a few days after hitting 50. 6 weeks later and I still can't find a group to even try T5...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
What server? consider transferring if you can't get a T5 clear party going. If people won't even clear t5 its unlikely they'll try the later coils.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I think it's more likely they're already past it and don't have a reason to go back. T5 still has a stigma surrounding it and there's not really any reason to do it aside from catch-up at this point.

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Balmung, very populated so no need to transfer. I could probably get a group together if I really tried, there just seems to be very little interest.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Damn, I only got like 5 days left on my sub, should I resub or just wait til the expansion pack comes out first?

psychosiz

Jan 8, 2015
I've been thinking about coming back to this game. My old guildies are gone and I was thinking of re-rolling a new character. Is it worth it at this point? If yes, what are some good servers with active guilds out there?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Depends. Personally I'd rather just pick up where I left off (unless you really didn't make it very far) rather than re-do it. You could always transfer your character if your server doesn't have much activity during your play time.

As for activity, I dunno for certain. I think there some census type sites around that might give you some idea (XIVsoul?). Some completely unscientific and mostly unfounded searches indicate

× Balmung
× Behemoth
× Excalibur
× Exodus
× Gilgamesh
× Hyperion
× Leviathan
× Sargatanas

tend to be the most populated US servers.