**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

psychosiz

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks for the response. I am thinking on transferring my two mains. I dabbled with some other stuff, but I have one at level 60 and another at 35. They are both different, just now sure which I feel like playing.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well, just keep in mind that the primary reason for alts in most games (getting to play multiple classes) has been pretty well remedied in XIV because of your ability to freely swap to and level all of them. Personally I love just being able to have one character that I can fill multiple roles with (and loved it in FFXI) but if you like having multiple that's up to you. I can't say I miss all the base quests lol.

Also Gold Saucer is a pretty impressive looking place, I only had time to patch, look around a little bit and play the Sudoku-esque mini Cactpot but the map is a lot bigger than I expected and reading the notes makes Chocobo Racing sound pretty cool. Triple Triad will be neat to kill time with eventually but I don't see myself getting into the collection aspect of it.

Zeta Zodiac weapons seem to be a 'light' grind again, but a much reduced one. You have to fill 12x "Mahatma" items/infusions (which cost 200 soldiery each), but they only seem to require 40 'light' to fill, so it's ultimately only going to be about 1/4 of the nexus requirement. I can't say I mind that at all, even doing Nexus wasn't too bad - I found it the most enjoyable of any stage I think since you can do 'whatever' really.

Very close to completing my "Last Resort" but AK refuses to drop the lost treasure and then need Qarn/Hullbreaker/SV. Think I'm up to something like 0/15+ runs, tons of fun going in there as a tank and seeing you have more HP than the other three party members combined lol.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I cancelled my WoW sub last week since the game is fun no more personally. I'm now REALLY tempted to give FFXIV a full try with a one month sub to try it.

I'd really like to play on a server with some of you guys so if I end up liking the game and staying i'd have a chance to play with some of "AT friends" and don't feel too much alone lol.

What server are you on Darkewaffle?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Bought the 20 bucks digital download and started the download during lunch. Will be set tonight to start and give this a try!

So, what server are you guys on?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
2.51 Patch Notes

They always put up pretty comprehensive notes shortly before the patch or during the downtime itself on the Lodestone.

I'm on Leviathan, no idea where anyone else is. AT never had much of a presence on the game afaik and I always played with my group from NWN/WoW/etc. However aside from (and even including at times) the current progression raid (currently the 'final binding coil of bahamut') much of the content in the game can be completed with a PUG group because of retroactive nerfs and ever improving gear every few months.

Also the game has implemented something called "Party Finder" which is like an in-game message board for party recruitment which has really caught on, it's quite active with notices for all sorts of different parties. Crafters advertising, levelling or farming parties, practice parties for progression/difficult encounters, wedding invites/announcements, lol, the works. Essentially there's a lot you can still accomplish even just playing solo or with pickup groups. I'd say the community is above average for an online game, FFXIV reddit is quite active and a good resource.

One thing to keep in mind when making a new character is that you can change your class at pretty much anytime but you will definitely get faster queues into content as a tank or healer. And progressing the story (which ultimately leads into pretty much branches into everything else) is gated a few times at the primal fights or at certain dungeon completions. Play what you think you'll enjoy most (and try them all if you want) but just be prepared for some potentially long waits if you do go DPS (although you can do any number of other activities while waiting of course).

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Too bad Leviathan is off limit for now...i'm gonna start a toon on the Primal world anyways on another server just to try the game and restart a new one on Lev as soon as it is available for new characters.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Played a couple of hours yesterday...just wanted to get out of the freakishly boring tutorial where you just run around the city and ask/give people stuff. It's ok so you can learn the setup of the city but dammit it was boring :p

I did a few quests outside of the city, environnements are good looking, gameplay similar to many other games out there so the learning curve was quite easy.

Not sure how long i'll play this, I feel it lacks something...hook factor...which I did not get yet. But i'm gonna give this a chance and play more, at least get to level 10, grab a profession and see how it goes.

Armor design so far is horribad...damn my Marauder wear a puffy arms coat...not what i'd expect from a 2H axe weilder lol. Plus, quest rewards goes into your Armoury chest and not your backpack? Why if I may ask? To unclutter your backpack? Not a bad idea but I had to damn search where that chest was lol (in the menu :p) and assign the icon in my bar.

I saw on the map some kind of public events where they show a progession toward it's completion...is it the same stuff as Rifts in Rift or public events in Guild Wars 2? Look like it is.

I really hope it gets better. I bought the $20 digital game, does it come with the sub or i'm just in starter set kind of game? Should I sub to unlock other features I might not have? The site is not that clear about that and I don't see anywhere is I have the equivalent of a 30 day sub with the purchase or anything...

psychosiz

Jan 8, 2015
In terms of a hook line, for me that came around level 15ish during the main questline in the story. I am not sure if story is important to you, but if it is, I would wait for that part and maybe run a dungeon or two to get a better feel. This game is also better IMO (as many others are) if you play with others.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
In terms of a hook line, for me that came around level 15ish during the main questline in the story. I am not sure if story is important to you, but if it is, I would wait for that part and maybe run a dungeon or two to get a better feel. This game is also better IMO (as many others are) if you play with others.

Yeah well for that i'll have to find a guild/friends in game which I don't have. I know some of you play on Leviathan but this server is colsed to new characters for now.

I'm on Exodus right now, Marauder level 5...

I'll give this a real shot though and play until I can at least doa dungeon run with a pug...

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure you get 30 days free with the initial purchase and there are no subscription 'tiers' except for some pricier ones allowing you to create more characters per server.

Starter armor is all race based, most of it is pretty good looking imo though can't be dyed and won't necessarily match your class. I see pieces of it used as glamour at 50 quite regularly though.

The options for the game are very extensive. You can change it so that equipment rewards from quests or obtained from dungeons/etc are deposited directly into your inventory if you so choose, don't recall where offhand but there's a ton of settings that can adjust all sorts of nifty things. Worth poking around in there.

The 'public event' is a FATE, "full active time event". They spawn all over every map in the game pretty much - mouse over them for progress completion and estimated level. Participating in them rewards XP based on how much you contributed, they're worth hitting up when convenient but you will have enough quests and XP bonuses to not need to grind them really. I'd highly recommend following the story quest and your class quests (from your class guild) and reading the tutorials they pop-up for you, it will introduce almost all of the basics as you go.

Hook for me was crafting. Additionally all the combat classes tend to become more interesting to play around mid 20s imo when some more useful/fun buttons unlock. Then at 30 you get your 'advanced job' which helps a lot as well. Further levelling multiple classes has the benefit of certain abilities being able to be 'equipped' to other classes - for example the marauder ability 'mercy stroke' is a useful ability for other damage dealers as it costs no TP and doesn't trigger the GCD, free damage basically.

There's constantly FCs (aka: guilds) and LSes (aka: custom shared 'chat channels', kind of like a 'community') recruiting in most of the major cities (Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, Uldah). There's no penalty for joining/leaving - no harm in messaging one of them. Lots of folks are still out there levelling ninja/alt jobs.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure you get 30 days free with the initial purchase and there are no subscription 'tiers' except for some pricier ones allowing you to create more characters per server.

Starter armor is all race based, most of it is pretty good looking imo though can't be dyed and won't necessarily match your class. I see pieces of it used as glamour at 50 quite regularly though.

The options for the game are very extensive. You can change it so that equipment rewards from quests or obtained from dungeons/etc are deposited directly into your inventory if you so choose, don't recall where offhand but there's a ton of settings that can adjust all sorts of nifty things. Worth poking around in there.

The 'public event' is a FATE, "full active time event". They spawn all over every map in the game pretty much - mouse over them for progress completion and estimated level. Participating in them rewards XP based on how much you contributed, they're worth hitting up when convenient but you will have enough quests and XP bonuses to not need to grind them really. I'd highly recommend following the story quest and your class quests (from your class guild) and reading the tutorials they pop-up for you, it will introduce almost all of the basics as you go.

Hook for me was crafting. Additionally all the combat classes tend to become more interesting to play around mid 20s imo when some more useful/fun buttons unlock. Then at 30 you get your 'advanced job' which helps a lot as well. Further levelling multiple classes has the benefit of certain abilities being able to be 'equipped' to other classes - for example the marauder ability 'mercy stroke' is a useful ability for other damage dealers as it costs no TP and doesn't trigger the GCD, free damage basically.

There's constantly FCs (aka: guilds) and LSes (aka: custom shared 'chat channels', kind of like a 'community') recruiting in most of the major cities (Gridania, Limsa Lominsa, Uldah). There's no penalty for joining/leaving - no harm in messaging one of them. Lots of folks are still out there levelling ninja/alt jobs.

Good points, thanks dark. What i'm looking for the most is the Advanced Job really, love that system in this franchise.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
I would play with you guys but alas, I'm not sure if one can transfer a character to another world, plus I don't think I could be able to play with my FC members.

Gold Saucer also seems a bit underwhelming but it's still really fun.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Warrior is a great upgrade from Marauder for certain, it's just kind of intrinsic to most RPGs/MMOs that low level combat leaves something to be desired. One other thing to keep in mind is that all the advanced jobs have more than one class requirement, so in order to attain Warrior you will need to level MRD to 30 and gladiator to 15 for example. But you would want to do that anyway (even without the requirement) for valuable crossclass skills like Flash/Convalescence/Provoke.

And the minigames in GS leave something to be desired, but Triple Triad has really caught on lol. Personally I'm not a huge fan but have quite enjoyed doing a bit of Chocobo Racing thus far - my only complaint is that it's a little laggy/slow to respond, hopefully that gets ironed out in time. Haven't tried any of the GATEs/events/etc yet.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm gonna start a new toon and this time i'll try the Gladiator. Always liked sword and board setup and this time i'm hooked with the Vikings series so that'll fit :p

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
I'm gonna start a new toon

You know you don't need to do that right. You can change your class just by equipping a different weapon, modify your appearance in game with aestheticians, or completely rebuild your character (race, gender, etc.) with a Fantasia (I got 2 for free, but I think they cost real money beyond that).

And someone asked above, you can pay for server transfers as well.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
You know you don't need to do that right. You can change your class just by equipping a different weapon, modify your appearance in game with aestheticians, or completely rebuild your character (race, gender, etc.) with a Fantasia (I got 2 for free, but I think they cost real money beyond that).

And someone asked above, you can pay for server transfers as well.

wow, didn't knew that. I just started playing the game so I have to learn it comlpetely on my own...not sure if I have the patience to do this but i'll do my best.

Thanks for the info but it's too late hahah...

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Anyone with deactivated accounts, there is going to be a free login campaign starting tomorrow. I guess it's going to last all through next week instead of the standard weekend event. Good time to give the new stuff a try.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm on hyperion, primal cluster.

Server transfers are like $15. I started on midgard and moved to hyperion after learning all of my guildmates from FF11 were on there.

It's useful to level all the classes and it's not difficult to do either. You'll need a lot of useful cross-class abilities to be truly a master of your job.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
So i'm pretty sure I just finished the main scenario, but patch 2.51 was supposed to have the second half, wasn't it?

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
So i'm pretty sure I just finished the main scenario, but patch 2.51 was supposed to have the second half, wasn't it?

No, 2.5 part 2 (I have heard some people refer to it as 2.55) has the second half. 2.51 was just gold saucer, zeta relic and stuff.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
2.52 will the the latter part of the 2.50 story continued - or so the plan goes currently, yes.

Heavensward planned for 06/23 - I'm glad they pushed it back a bit to early summer. It gives people plenty of time to finish up just about anything they still want to do.

PAX East gave a little bit of info about the expansion, nothing too revolutionary though Yoshida did make some cool comments about FC crafting and airships. It sounds like they'll start off as glorified retainer ventures to "scout" but as time goes on they'll become combat equipped and able to transport players - it sounds like they may discover new areas or maybe generate 'instances' for you to explore for a period.

Seems neat, though I'm hoping it's relatively accessible to big/small/solo FCs equally. Or at least somewhat.

Also they added a nice touch that when Heavensward releases the raid content will still be locked for two weeks to encourage people to enjoy the story and not rush so much or feel the pressure to do so. Good idea imo.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Well I've given up on this game. Too much focus on casual/social stuff. There hasn't been a challenging dungeon since Pharos Sirius and they quickly nerfed that. If you can't beat it while chatting about the lastest pair of panties your male miqo'te is wearing then I guess it's too hard.

It all plays to the audience though I guess, I think the community got more up in arms about males being able to wear the latest female glamour gear then I've ever seen lol

Heavensward has some cool new jobs and such but I don't think it's going to change in regards to difficult content. If anything that is going to become even more rare.