**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I would guess if it's an upgrade to Artisan tools, the artisan tool will be directly or indirectly required yeah.

Though I was also thinking it could be a 'welfare' or alternate version of the Artisan tools which might be easier to obtain for the less dedicated crafters. Maybe providing an enhancement of some to Desynthesis. Or might be a new artisan level "luminary" type weapon using some of the other achievements (such as the "craft 3000 HQs" perhaps).

IMO a sidegrade is most likely. Though there's also a lot of talk about "maybe he meant off-hands or secondary tools" - who knows.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
"Higher level" was kinda vague, but he wasn't vague about "primary tools". I hope we have upgraded crafting armor before more upgraded primary tools though. Sidegrades sound most likely to me too. Possibly tools you can craft to sell to ppl who never bothered with the previous upgrades?

In any case I still haven't gotten around to crafting all the turn-ins for my other primary tools, even though I've collected most of the mats, so I'll probably not push to get it done til I see what 2.3 brings.

I'm literally 1 fate away from completing my SCH animus though!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
they better give us another 25 slots for the weapons then if it's a sidegrade or alternate tool that boosts desynthesis.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yeah, I'm a bit short on Armory space myself. I wouldn't mind a Moogle Storage kind of system a la FFXI where you can store 'sets' (like my Cavalry or Infantry or Battlemage gear especially) in a single ticket or something like that. Or mannequins could also be handy for that.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You can already shove AF in the armory along with seasonal stuff. . They just need to expand that out so you can store other "sets". Battlemage, cavalry, etc should all be made storeable.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Took a day off for the patch and had a grand time :D

Desynth would have been awesome if I were still levelling any crafts, but all the same levelling it isn't that bad (at least until you hit 60-70+ imo) and I didn't have much trouble obtaining my new demimateria for the master books and churning out some of the new recipes. I was annoyed at first that much of the new recipes are "demi-materia gated" but at the same time it keeps the markets much more stable - imo if a ton of new accessories were able to make it to the market very quickly, it would have been pretty disruptive to other goods (mostly materia). As it is, I think they'll simply slowly drop in price as more demimateria becomes available and the primary bottleneck is slowly removed.

The new dungeons are pretty well done. Tamtara is actually kind of creepy and the music there is awesome - really suits the mood. Hullbreaker was pretty fun, I thought the bosses there were entertaining.

ST at this point is pretty chaotic but also has a good balance of trash to 'content' imo without making it too long/too short. Some of the story elements there are cool as well. As XIV's story moves beyond the conflict with the empire and delves more into the Primals and Allagan civilization and "others" I find it's becoming more interesting.

Have barely touched the new quests yet and haven't done Ramuh/Hildibrand/Moogle/Riddle/chocobo. So much to do - though I'll probably still spend most of the night doing desynth and crafting :D

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I haven't had time to dig too much into the crafting aspect yet. Actually last patch's set of crafting/mining grind really put me off crafting in general so I'm not too sure I want to pick it up again. How are you leveling desynthing? Just making/buying things off the MB and then desynthing it for skill ups?

The 3 new dungeons are good, though it's annoying they removed all speedrun aspects from it. There are hard bottlenecks that force you to kill every single mob (that hit really hard) and doors that will block you from speedrunning every couple of pulls or so. These runs will all take the bare minimum of 15-20 minutes each regardless of how good you are geared.

Don't know if they changed brayflox, but I wouldn't be running these expert dungeons more than once a day.

ST is... chaotic. As a tank I don't get to experience much of the "fun" mechanics so it was pretty boring for me. I got my piece for the week so I won't be back until next, and I think I'll queue as a DPS so I can have some fun.

But is it just me or do the bosses have a shitload of HP? The bosses all took 3 melee LBs which only did like 10% damage total.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I've only done LW so far but I levelled it early on just buying up cheap stuff off NPCs and desynthing it. If there's cheap(er) stuff on the MB by all means take advantage of it. Eventually NPC stuff became pretty cost inefficient and I'd just pick up stacks of mats for an easy to make item, quick synth, desynth and repeat.

Also certain weapon parts and torn/worn/frayed/etc items can also be desynthed which can be really effective and cheap. I did really well buying up all the 'bloody cesti covers' for next to nothing (which can themselves be desynthed actually), turning them into Wildling Cesti, desynth (which often returned the Cover to me) and repeat. Frayed Chefs Belt, Cracked Shepherds Belt were also pretty useful to me as were Legionnaire Visors.

Past that I've just been quick synthing and desynthing whatever has a low material cost to me - I did a lot of Peisteskin stuff because there was a lot of cheap skin/leather available. But by that point I was mostly grinding to try to get demimateria. I think once you hit 60-70 you'll mostly 'level' with i55/i60/i70 stuff for a while, eventually i80/i90 I guess. Whether you want to craft your own or rely on drops, could go either way on that one.

It would help if my stupid friends would bother to pass on the LW desynthable items that they don't actually want, but evidently that's really hard to remember when that greed button pops up lol.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I gotta pick up and plow through at least the weaver stuff for the masters tool. Although I did accumulate a healthy amount of myth crafting mats through expert dungeons so I probably have enough to do all the classes.

The new accessories for DOW are goldsmith right?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yeah, all the new DoW/DoM i90 accessories are GSM. I don't think any have sold on my server yet, but they're slowly popping up on the AH. It might take a minute for the market for them to develop because they probably need to drop in price somewhat (1.1-1.5M on ours) and some random dude on the internet posts up a fancy spreadsheet on reddit letting the sheep know "its ok! just meld it this way AND OMGTHENYOUCANHAVEBISGEAR".

I'm hoping the myth increases all around 'trickle down' to cheaper myth mats soonish - they were even below 50k for a short time a few weeks ago but then Novus reared its ugly head and I think people are using them for their maps (or whatever it is) again. But cheaper myth would go a long way to both making the final products cheaper (hello AF augments) and more accessible and sell in greater volume (I'd consider it a net gain personally as a seller).

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
I have such a huge mental block in regards to how the crafting system has evolved. It doesn't make sense to me, but I just don't enjoy it like I used to. Are 3* synths involved with AF augmentation? I haven't looked into it yet.

I'm liking the content of this patch so far. ST is kinda fun as is the 1 new dungeon I've tried (Tam Tara). And there's plenty of stuff for people like me who have a static that's a little behind the curve on end-game progression. We finally cleared t7 as a group yesterday with a fairly quick and clean clear, getting 3 people their 1st win and our group's first tomestone.

I'm kinda worried about how difficult it might be to collect allied marks given the random spawn time etc of elite marks vs. working during the day (lol), but we'll see. I haven't tried hunting any yet.

Edit: by random spawn time etc I really mean unknown. But there's also the talk of how quickly they get killed.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Technically, yes, the mats for the AF augments (and the augments themselves) are 3* crafts. At the same time, you can't HQ the augments so you can just NQ everything which is quick and easy regardless of your gear/food/etc. However you do still need to hit the 3* minimum control/craftmanship requirements which is generally the major roadblock there.

I love crafting more than ever (and gardening! i am bummed that none of the new recipes use Jute :(), but when I started playing again after taking a break until about a month after 2.2 was patched in it was a bit overwhelming getting back up to speed.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
thats sort of how I feel. I don't have the motivation to get back into crafting (even though I loved it) just because of the overwhelming grind involved. There's no "great" gear to get and everything you make is inferior to raid drops, so there's no real point other than to make money, which I have nothing to spend it on other than more mats and more gear to sell. I don't even have my crafting gear all max melded out, and I'm still missing a few pieces of crafter/gatherer AF.

Allied marks are apparently easy to get if you just teleport around. There's a lot of hunt LSes forming on the servers, jump into one and roll around with a group for a few hours and you'll get 300-400 marks easily.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Maybe I'll reserve hunting for a weekend task every now and then.

I love crafting more than ever (and gardening!

I'd probably like gardening, if I could participate. Short of grinding out an alt to create my own FC (or ditching my current one, but that's a stupid reason to do so) for the singular purpose of gardening, most of us can't. I figure we'll all get to try it when personal housing is released.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Actually gardening isn't that interesting once it's been all 'figured out' (which it pretty much has at this point) but it's nice to have it on the side and requires very little maintenance but can still be pretty lucrative - so I love that part of it lol. Plus there's just something fun about running up to the house and seeing the plants ready for harvest. I don't think the chocobo stuff they put in will be all that desirable - but a small note in the patch did mention some of the previous intercrosses may have been changed - speculation is that some of the 'loops' for the valuable materials could have been broken/changed but I'm betting nobody will know for a week or two since I doubt seeds that were planted prior to the patch would have their intercross 'stripped' by the patch.

I'm looking forward to personal housing simply for another garden patch. I wish cottages could hold two.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Well of course that's why I think I'd like it. XD

It wouldn't be so lucrative with more people doing it, but I cringed when I read in the patch notes how the chocobo raising feed comes from gardening.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
sad, because my FC has a large house, 3 plots and we don't do any gardening. I gardened a ton in FF11 and I'm just plain not interested in spending time in ff14 anymore for that sort of stuff. I shove random seeds into the plots for random funs.

edit: got any recipes I can try for gardening?

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well, the valuable stuff tends to be broombush, jute, and glazenut (and their component seeds) which go something like this.

Linseed + Mandrake = Azeyma Rose Seed
Azeyma Rose + Mandrake = Star Anise Seed
Star Anise + Almond = Jute Seed
Jute + Mandrake = Jute Seed

Honey Lemon + Prickly Pineapple = Apricot Seed
Apricot + Honey Lemon = Royal Kukuru Bean Seed
Royal Kukuru Bean + Apricot = Glazenut Seed
Glazenut + Apricot = Glazenut Seed

Almond + Mandrake = Nymeia Lily Seed
Nymeia Lily + Almond = Broombush Seed
Broombush + Almond = Broombush Seed

Don't quote me on Broombush, I'd have to do some more digging, and there's more than one way to obtain some of the seeds listed but afaik these are working crosses (unless the latest patch changed something regarding the final "looping" steps).

In general you'll want to use Grade 3 Thanalan soil for most plantings (though Shroud can also work for certain situations) and alternate planting your seeds in a clockwise manner.

It appears that intercrossing (which produces the 'new' seeds during harvest) appears to only require one adjacent plant and is determined when planting - so basically don't plant something next to nothing if you want to get seeds back from it - the first one will of course be next to nothing but if it's a cheap seed you can simply tear it out and replant another once you get the rest of the beds filled.

They only need 'tended' to like once per day, you can fertilize them about once per hour which (allegedly) reduces the time to harvest by an hour with each application. Since most plants take 5-7 days to grow, a few fertilizer (which is very cheap - Fishmeal from one of the housing vendors) per day can get you to harvest about a day early.

I jumped into the second step of Jute since Azeyma seeds weren't overly expensive, but you can start wherever depending on what you want and what you want to spend initially. If you want to start some place/target something specific and any of it's unclear let me know - a lot of the information that's out there is useful and true but also pretty disorganized lol.

=================

I'm hoping the myth increases all around 'trickle down' to cheaper myth mats soonish

Ok, so it seems to be more of a flood than a trickle lol. There's more myth mats (50+ for some) on the AH already than I've ever seen on my server and the price is steadily trending down - I even picked up a few for less than I offer to pay through general chat. I just need more time to actually craft them now lol. I think most of the crafters seem to be eyeing new recipes and focusing on different stuff so there's a lot of room to post more 3* gear for sale.

Also when grinding out desynth I'd recommend looking for items with only one or two main materials (raptorskin merchants belt for example) - imo it makes it much more pleasant when you're guaranteed to get back a demimateria or >=50% of your material cost.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Not sure what you mean with topsoil. I dig up some here and there when I remember, do they act as fertilizer? (fishmeal?) Or do you need 1 slab for every plant?

I have some honey lemon seeds, should I try to get some apricot to breed royal kukuru beans first?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Ah, whenever you plant you have to use one piece of soil and one bag of seeds for each individual 'bed'.

That's the only time you use soil, when actually planting. After it's planted you can fertilize once per hour-ish with Fishmeal.

That would work but again it really varies on price imo. Some of the 'intermediate' seeds were really expensive on mine but quickly dropped due to high supply and low demand so you could be able to skip a step if that's the case.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Progressed on the story last night. It was actually a little impressive - the Uldah conflict is appropriately somber, the political intrigue surrounding Carteneau and the three nations interesting, and Ramuh's presentation as a wise guardian (of sorts) was a welcome change from the 'DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY' "personality" of the other primals thus far.

I'm pretty sure I get to celebrate defeating Ramuh by returning to Revenants Toll and doing some more busywork quests however lol.

Great patch all in all thus far and I've still only done a fraction of it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
collecting soils and seeds now so I can plant a 3x3 for some honey lemon/apricot seeds first. Prices are through the roof on my server.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I tend them whenever I fertilize (which is whenever I get the chance) but yeah, I'm pretty sure you only have to about once every 24h and they'll be fine.

Nearly 85 GSM desynth, fortunate enough to get 3x Garuda Demimateria from desynthing an old Garuda's Van I had sitting around. Now I just have to find someone to buy one of the weapons - which are still prohibitively expensive simply by virtue of the Battlecraft 3 demimateria, not to mention the primal ones.

Can't decide whether I want BSM or ALC for third desynth. Lots of applications for both of them.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I started on the master tool (the first one prior to the patch) for weaver and realized I need 100 freggin twinthreads. Spent about 35 minutes making them and only ended up with about 20 with 3 NQs (was trying to HQ them). I also needed to eat hq bouillabaisse to be able to HQ them somewhat reliably.

This is going to take another 3-4 hours total of nonstop crafting...

I also started a set of honey lemon x prickly pineapples, hoping to get some apricot seeds out of them. So I have a bed of mirror apple x rolanberries and a bed of prickly pineapple x honey lemon. How long does it take for them to mature?