Massive improvement to what? To give incentive for people to not work together?
Aside from fate/hunt rewards working unfavorably for solo players compared to parties I haven't had a problem with it in a long time. Damage dealing is obviously the simplest way to contribute and contributing with healing is somewhat contingent on having a party to heal, but on the whole it's rarely an issue imo.
Massive improvements needed
1) if SE wants so many people working together, they need:
- to make changes that allow people to see the mob right in front of their face, for one. When massive groups of people gather together, the game currently prioritizes drawing player characters over anything else, no matter what SE has said to the contrary. This has always been a problem for fates that draw a lot of people (read Odin/Behemoth). If you can't see the target, you often can't contribute, plain and simple.
- to make changes to the way your individual/group participation is evaluated. Ever since AAR release, fate evaluations (and now hunts, which use the same system) have been based on how much enmity you (or your party if in a party) generate. Just to be clear, you have to generate enmity--how close you are to the top of the enmity list doesn't matter. Hit the mob once to get the low evaluation, generate > X enmity to get mid evaluation, generate > Y enmity to get the full evaluation. Hunts may have more than 3 eval levels, or there is some slightly more complicated calculations invovled, but that's the basic idea. On smaller fates, X and Y are smaller values and easier to hit. On bosses designed for larger groups, like Odin/Behemoth/A's/S's, they are higher and require a party of 2 at minimum. But for things like Odin/etc, the enemies usually die so quickly it can be difficult to reach Y or even X...because of the number of people and how long the fight lasts (and how long you participated in the fight. Also, due to how jobs generate enmity, tanks (and in some aoe cases, healers) have the easiest time contributing to the evaluation. 8 tanks (or maybe swap in a couple healers) = piece of cake. Normal party setup = screwed over. You might as well not even come with DD jobs if you desire the best shot
at the full evaluation.
2) if SE wants more competition, they need
- to rework the claim and/or reward system so that not everyone and their mothers are fighting and getting credit for every mob 24/7.