**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
that explains why I don't have any retainers... was taking my sweet time on quests. >_>

Also which benchmark tool? The previous one? That one lets you edit your character, do you use the same character data for your retainers?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Two retainers? I hadn't noticed you could get more than one yet, any idea if that gives you more room to sell on the Market Board or just more storage?

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
that explains why I don't have any retainers... was taking my sweet time on quests. >_>

Also which benchmark tool? The previous one? That one lets you edit your character, do you use the same character data for your retainers?

Correct

Two retainers? I hadn't noticed you could get more than one yet, any idea if that gives you more room to sell on the Market Board or just more storage?

I believe it gives you both; more storage and more Market Board room.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

And yea, the retainer customization is basically identical to the character creation tool, same access to loading and saving appearances.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
man, and here I thought the game was broken for not letting me put stuff into the armory.

What the heck is that thing for then?

(on topic: will create galka for retainer, named Dixie Normus)

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
forums are up, though getting a good pounding

my main character is Rob Wolfe on Excalibur, gonna start archer but i have cnj at 30, marauder at 19 and others in the lower teens, got mining at 20 which i dont remember doing but its a nice surprise lol

I made a mithra retainer, in honor of my ffxi character, gave her the same appearance and name

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
man, and here I thought the game was broken for not letting me put stuff into the armory.

What the heck is that thing for then?

(on topic: will create galka for retainer, named Dixie Normus)

The armory holds armor/weapons/accessories, lots of it obviously. Why? Because when you switch classes/job you need to have that armor/weapons/accessories with you so the armory is basically a inventory for that. Instead of clogging up your normal inventory that all the normal junk goes into. The retainers you can look at sort of like a bank, each holds like 170 items iirc. There is also an armoire which will hold cosmetic only armor (holiday stuff etc)

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
LOL. I think i've been playing this game completley wrong...but then...I guess you can do whatever you want so there's no "right" way.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Also, not to take anything away from you gothamhunter but if anyone is looking for nearly any info on the game, I highly suggest checking out the Neogaf OT. It is the best OT for a game I have ever seen, a lot of the pics have embedded links to more info/videos/music depending on what the pic is for. It really is extremely well done.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Also, not to take anything away from you gothamhunter but if anyone is looking for nearly any info on the game, I highly suggest checking out the Neogaf OT. It is the best OT for a game I have ever seen, a lot of the pics have embedded links to more info/videos/music depending on what the pic is for. It really is extremely well done.

Good resource, I'll add it to the OP actually. I have no problems linking elsewhere; I just wanted an OT started for here :)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The armory holds armor/weapons/accessories, lots of it obviously. Why? Because when you switch classes/job you need to have that armor/weapons/accessories with you so the armory is basically a inventory for that. Instead of clogging up your normal inventory that all the normal junk goes into. The retainers you can look at sort of like a bank, each holds like 170 items iirc. There is also an armoire which will hold cosmetic only armor (holiday stuff etc)

I think the thing that comes by default is the armoire (couldn't put anything in). There's an actual armory...? When do you get that?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Good resource, I'll add it to the OP actually. I have no problems linking elsewhere; I just wanted an OT started for here :)

Fair enough, didn't want to seem like I was being a dick :D

Is this "retainer" the equivalent of a "bank toon"/mule in other games?

Yeah, basically, but retainers can and in the future will be able to do more for you as well. But they can be seen as your bank.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I think the thing that comes by default is the armoire (couldn't put anything in). There's an actual armory...? When do you get that?

The armory is the window where you select your different weapons/armor/accessories. You know that window you select which slot and see all the equipment for that slot and can equip from there. That is the armory. The armoire is there from the start, but is (at least from what I seen) a actual physical (in game physical) item you need to interact with. You don't have anything you can put into it yet because as I said above, it is for cosmetic only armor and I *think* armor sets in the future.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Once you hit 10 and do your level 10 class quest you will be granted access to your "Armory Chest". This essentially 'unlocks' class switching (once you join that class' guild) and allows you to access the 'equipment only' inventory called the 'Armory Chest'. You can see it here, though that's a little bit dated.

Most importantly, imo, it lets you use the "Gear Sets" button located on the character screen which lets you customize class/equipment setups so that whenever you swap, you don't have to re-equip everything and it's ready to go immediately.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah, I thought it might be an actual "armory" in the inn where I can put all my stuff. I've been using my armory chest, ran out of the 25 slots for primary weapons, and had to start dumping it into bag #4. Was hoping for something like the mog house storage in FF11, I guess.

Going to trash a lot of them most likely and only keep HQ stuff or stuff that's close to being spiritbound (turn into materia).

Or just... do my quests and get a retainer. Gosh I need one.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
my inventory was almost full when i logged for the first time, retainer as well, gonna have to dump everything in the market or go on a crafting binge

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Man my inventory only got even slightly full when I was crafting a bunch of certain items for levelling. I suppose I didn't take any of the items from quest rewards though, I knew that much from the earlier betas :D

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
What classes/jobs does everyone here plan on playing mostly? I managed to get all 3 mage classes to 20 (along with a few others to their teens) and I'm still undecided. I really prefer support/healing classes so I was thinking of going scholar but I had a lot of fun with lancer and thaumaturge.

I originally wanted to be a bard but it sounds like they're going to be more DPS focused than support like I hoped they would be. This changes pretty much hourly for me so I don't even know what I want to play anymore.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
im gonna start an archer from 1, i will probably end up playing warrior or monk in the end though, got those at 19 and 10, gonna try to get into serious crafting

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I levelled Archer to 20 and only a couple of classes to 6-8 for 'sub' abilities. I've been hellbent on Bard since I saw the sweet looking harp-bows lol.