**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Anybody else grind Ifrit to never see your weapon drop? I've done around 25 runs this week and didn't see a single lance.

I'm getting to the point I'll buy the 55 HQ lance. Sigh.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I was extremely lucky with Ifrit HM. First run, my staff dropped and I was the only WHM. SCORE!

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Anybody else grind Ifrit to never see your weapon drop? I've done around 25 runs this week and didn't see a single lance.

The droprates are a lot more tolerable if you're going for more than one weapon and you're playing with your LS/FC so things no one "needs" for their main can still get handed off to someone for an off-job.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't even want the Ifrit bow it's so gods damned ugly lol. Now the Garuda bow on the other hand...

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005

Yep.. Something like 30 runs before I got my sword. Then on my 4th Garuda run I got my weapon there. While thankful I feel like I wasted a lot of time doing Ifrit!

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
The moogle bow seems to be the best primal bow, though it won't be obtainable again til they bring back the moogle fight. Sadly, the only moogle weapon I obtained in 1.0 was for the 1 class/job I'm almost guaranteed to never play: GLD/PLD.

I'm just glad to hear that you can lot the primal drops. I almost went on a rant about the 1.0 drop primal drop system here, but I'll just say it sucked monkey balls. It took 60 runs for me to get my 1st (and only) ifrit weapon, though it only took a few moogle wins before getting the sword.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Did some guildhests and some of the grouped guildhests today. pretty cool.

need to read up on how to play with a group again as I haven't played an MMO in awhile and not sure what the keys and stuff are for group play in FFXIV. any good sites for this?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Did some guildhests and some of the grouped guildhests today. pretty cool.

need to read up on how to play with a group again as I haven't played an MMO in awhile and not sure what the keys and stuff are for group play in FFXIV. any good sites for this?

Honestly, the guildhests and first few dungeons are kind of designed with players getting the feel for what their class has to do.

If you are still playing as THM. You have 2 jobs, do damage (wait till tank gets agro, nothing worse than a DPS that starts unloading immediately and pulls agro), and second job which is more situational, putting mobs to sleep. If you have a good tank/healer that can do fine with a few baddies attacking the tank at once it's no worries, but if the tank and/or healer have a rough time, sleeping the mobs is nice.

Sleeping is nice in some situations and makes things easy mode in most cases. As a WHM I have a single target sleep spell (yours is aoe) and I rarely ever use it as I find more going more interesting and keeps my paying attention more. I'll normally only sleep if the tank is bad and wont pull whatever it is off me.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Honestly, the guildhests and first few dungeons are kind of designed with players getting the feel for what their class has to do.

If you are still playing as THM. You have 2 jobs, do damage (wait till tank gets agro, nothing worse than a DPS that starts unloading immediately and pulls agro), and second job which is more situational, putting mobs to sleep. If you have a good tank/healer that can do fine with a few baddies attacking the tank at once it's no worries, but if the tank and/or healer have a rough time, sleeping the mobs is nice.

Sleeping is nice in some situations and makes things easy mode in most cases. As a WHM I have a single target sleep spell (yours is aoe) and I rarely ever use it as I find more going more interesting and keeps my paying attention more. I'll normally only sleep if the tank is bad and wont pull whatever it is off me.

i did try to sleep a few mobs at first but seemed like other people were hitting them. I don't think my sleep is AOE, at least not yet anyway (i'll have to check, I'm lvl 16 atm). Does seem like I can sleep more than 1 at a time though, just have to recast on the 2nd mob.

I mainly need to figure out how to quickly target what the tank is targeting.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
mouse targetting is a bit iffy for me, reminded me of how bad mouse targetting was on ffxi, the hit boxes are off and i always end up targetting something else

tab targetting works best

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
hmm...my server must have crashed...

wish you could skip the intro video for starting a new class.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
i did try to sleep a few mobs at first but seemed like other people were hitting them. I don't think my sleep is AOE, at least not yet anyway (i'll have to check, I'm lvl 16 atm). Does seem like I can sleep more than 1 at a time though, just have to recast on the 2nd mob.

I mainly need to figure out how to quickly target what the tank is targeting.

It might be a trait that upgrades it later, I don't really remember tbh as I solo/grinded my THM to get level 26 for Swiftcast to use on WHM.

Lower levels people will screw up and hit sleep mobs too not even understanding and bad dps is just bad and will always do it.

hmm...my server must have crashed...

wish you could skip the intro video for starting a new class.

Intro video? You made another character? If so, why? You only need and realistically should only have 1 since they can learn every class/job.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It might be a trait that upgrades it later, I don't really remember tbh as I solo/grinded my THM to get level 26 for Swiftcast to use on WHM.

Lower levels people will screw up and hit sleep mobs too not even understanding and bad dps is just bad and will always do it.

Intro video? You made another character? If so, why? You only need and realistically should only have 1 since they can learn every class/job.

The intro when you create your character, you can't skip it.
I know, but you can't be another race... since I couldn't log into my server and I still wanted to play, I created a new character on another server.

I need to find a good FC but don't see too many people talking about them for recruiting. Really don't want the hassle of being the leader of my own and recruiting people. Was talking to a guy last night about one but my laptop crashed due to overheating and I haven't seen him on since.

oh, and /beckon quests suck!!!!!!! this is a terrible way to do a quest. the guy can't just follow you? He forgets what he's doing and constantly needs you to tell him to come to you?

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
They do suck, but it's tremendously easier if you just make a quick macro for your bar for it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Around level 20-22 doing the storyline quest. You'll get to pick a Grand Company to join and then do a quest and get seals to get a mount.

I just did Tam Tara dungeon story quest last night, how close am I?

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Well, I finally got around to getting level 44 garuda. Then, continued on with the questline. Got the "rescue" mission done, and basically, the next main story quest I have is level 49.

Heh, I'm only 47. Great :\ And, I got 47 finishing up my pugilist and flame hunting logs, plus the side quests in Mora Dhun (or whatever the area is called). /sigh, I guess it's level/fate grinding unless I can find some side quests elsewhere.

Oh, I do have that side dungeon I just unlocked. That should be good for at least a half level to a full one, before I get bored with it.

On a side note, I actually didn't have to wait all that long on the duty finder for Garuda. But, I think I ran with people who were guilded together (2 higher levels pushing a lower level through). It makes me wonder...what about people who are slow going through? Or start the game later.

There will probably always be people going through the lower level dungeons, since you can level up so many classes on one character. But, at the same time, most people wouldn't re-que up for Ifrit, Titan, or Garuda, when they've already done it, would they?

That means, unless they get friends or guild mates to help, that its very possible people are going to get stuck, story wise, and not be able to continue.

I'm kind of glad I got most of this out of the way early, when it was still relatively easy to go through the duty finder and get a groups for this stuff.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
All around good weekend for me... alchemist to 42, goldsmith to 38 or 39, and moved other various crafts up from 25 to 30, got weaver to 38... and started running brayflox's for cavalry set. Got the belt and the ring and that's about it. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort, but the pieces look really good and should be good up until about 40s, and I'm only lvl 36 right now.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Made it to 50 bard; I honestly wish they were a little more support oriented and had fewer AoEs. I'm not sure that I really need three separate AoE attacks on top of flame arrow lol. Otherwise I like it and my group is glad to have ballad at least.

Also started Marauder and Gladiator, both around 20 and I think I enjoy Marauder more. The AoE just makes it much more pleasant to level/do fates and pick up adds with. Plus my FC has like four pallys and not a single warrior.

Has anyone else turned any Aetheryte Rings into materia yet? They don't seem to have the same "affinity" that most other crafting items do and when I materia'd mine I got ele resist materia rather than crafting ones. No big loss but not sure they're really worth breaking down if that's the case as non-crafting materia is so hit or miss as far as prices go. Some people are saying they're turning into DoW/DoM materia instead of DoH, so could be an oversight.

Goldsmithing is my next profession. Going to experiment with spiritbonding while levelling it to test if HQ/materia number and/or grade influence the rate it's gained. In retrospect there's so much I wish I'd known/thought of while doing my first professions lol, oh well.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I definitely notice HQ items spiritbonding faster than regular ones. I generally craft using HQ equipment, and on the odd occasion when I fail to make a HQ piece for myself I notice that piece is always the last one to finish bonding. I don't think materia really makes it faster or not though; I could stick an ice resist into some non HQ piece and see how slowly that bonds, but it's not a good control example since the original pieces is not HQ and can affect the bonding speeds.

But then higher level pieces also bond slower than lower level ones, so... there's quite a lot of variables.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yeah, I plan on first starting off with just a NQ brass ring vs a HQ brass ring with 5 resist materia or something in it simply as a proof of concept as to whether or not one binds faster than the other. Past that, then a HQ vs a HQ with materia, HQ with 1 materia vs HQ with 5 materia, HQ with 1 grade 1 vs HQ with 1 grade 2, etc.

Provided you replace the items at the exact same time and always wear them together (hence why rings would be such a good subject) it should simply be a matter of crafting and then comparing the spirit bond percentage over time. The only thing I wonder about is I swear your 'top' ring gains bond and loses durability very slightly faster than the lower ring. Like they'll bond or break one craft apart somehow, but I feel like you should be able to see the difference (or lack thereof) long before that.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
funny you should mention that, because I always upgrade my rings at the same exact time and meld them with the same materia, and yet one ring is always breaking faster than the other one. I thought maybe I just screwed up and equipped the wrong ring or something (noticed I was using a silver ring instead of "Silver Ring of the crafting" one time... lololol) but I repaired both to full, and the next time I noticed it they were unevenly broken again.

/wutdafuq