Official Elden Ring Thread

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I figure we might as well start a thread specifically for this game since it's multiplatform and discussions may end up in both console threads.

Game is currently sitting at 97 metacritic score with 45 reviews (under PS5 but a lot of those are multiplatform reviews).

I preordered mine last night at Best Buy and plan on picking it up Friday after I drop my son off at school. I hope to put some hours into it Friday evening.

This has the potential to be GOTY stuff if it lives up to these review scores.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
There is a pc thread going as well. I’ve preordered for both the PC and PS5. Sounds like it will be a pretty epic game and worth revisiting a few times.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Damn I already posted in the other thread but yea I'll be getting it for PS5. I like playing these type of games sitting on the couch. Now if my new office chair didn't take months to arrive I'd probably prefer to play on PC.

I hear this one is supposed to appeal to more people too.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm a little nervous about PS5 framerate being in the 55-60 range on performance mode since they don't have FreeSync support like XBox. Might get this on PC instead since I think I might rather play 1440p with FreeSync than 1800p with tearing when it can't hit 60 fps.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ended up ordering last minute at best buy today for PS5. Apparently they are mailing me a steelbook too which I really didn't want because I won't use it unless maybe it's like a guide?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Downloading the pre-install now on the Series X. Figure I'll put the Xbox in the living room and try this one on the couch on the 65' tv.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm a little nervous about PS5 framerate being in the 55-60 range on performance mode since they don't have FreeSync support like XBox. Might get this on PC instead since I think I might rather play 1440p with FreeSync than 1800p with tearing when it can't hit 60 fps.
I saw the DF video about the beta, but has this been confirmed in the final version?

And where did you hear about screen tearing? I didn't hear about that even in the DF beta videos when the framerate dropped below 60.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Apparently the patch that came out for elden ring recently before release creates some issues.

He reports most of these issue on PC.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I saw the DF video about the beta, but has this been confirmed in the final version?

And where did you hear about screen tearing? I didn't hear about that even in the DF beta videos when the framerate dropped below 60.

I read the Digital Foundry performance review they posted to Eurogamer yesterday. I don't think they made a video yet. They said the framerate was unlocked on PS5 so I assumed they meant VSync was turned off, which leaves tearing as the only option when your framerate differs from 60 fps on a 60 Hz panel with no VRR, which Sony doesn't support right now and most likely never will on HDMI 2.0 (while XBox supports FreeSync over HDMI 2.0). Though at 55+ fps I doubt the tearing would be too bad.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC • Eurogamer.net

Console performance is crap. Recommended to run PS4 version on PS5 or run with VRR display on Xbox. Maybe better to wait a bit.

Yeah makes me want to play on PC where even though my gpu (GTX 1660 Super) is way weaker than what's in the PS5, at least I can use my monitor's FreeSync. FreeSync is such a game changer, it makes 45 fps and up look great (though my screen has a FreeSync range down to 40 Hz). God I wish PS5 supported it. Big reason I expect to buy Series X for playing multiplats and not just exclusives in the next year or two.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I read the Digital Foundry performance review they posted to Eurogamer yesterday. I don't think they made a video yet. They said the framerate was unlocked on PS5 so I assumed they meant VSync was turned off, which leaves tearing as the only option when your framerate differs from 60 fps on a 60 Hz panel with no VRR, which Sony doesn't support right now and most likely never will on HDMI 2.0 (while XBox supports FreeSync over HDMI 2.0). Though at 55+ fps I doubt the tearing would be too bad.

So is "unlocked" framerate different than when you have a 60fps game that just drops frames randomly? Or is that the same thing?

Because I've definitely played games that aren't constant framerate and they have dips but did not have screen tearing. And on the flipside, I've played games with screen tearing that holds a steady framerate.

I'm no expert in this area though so I don't really know.

EDIT:

Reading that link above right now.

It mentions PS4 runs in 1800p to get he 60fps and without as much detail.

Well I'm not playing in anything higher than 1080p. But will that help framerate at all or no? Is it going to be running at a higher res and then down scaled to 1080p, so it'll still have the same framerate issues?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC • Eurogamer.net

Console performance is crap. Recommended to run PS4 version on PS5 or run with VRR display on Xbox. Maybe better to wait a bit.
They did say the PS5 version will run at a higher frame than series x but neither console can hit 60fps.

I would get it for PC but my girlfriend needs my PC to study for her board exams every day after I'm done work so I wouldn't be touching this game at all.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
They did say the PS5 version will run at a higher frame than series x but neither console can hit 60fps.

Yeah, but without VRR the PS5 version is choppy. Xbox runs "better" because the VRR smooths out the dips.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So is "unlocked" framerate different than when you have a 60fps game that just drops frames randomly? Or is that the same thing?

I don't know if we have a good consensus on these terms, but I would argue that Elden Ring does not have an unlocked renderer because the game is limited to 60 FPS on consoles and PC. However, I think the point that they are trying to make is that the game has no function to limit it to a natural multiple of your screen's refresh rate. This is typically referred to as "V-Sync" and it's where a game may be rendering frames at 86 FPS, but the output is only 60 FPS, and if it drops below 60 FPS rendered, the output will likely drop to 30 FPS. This is actually one reason why 120Hz is so nice, because it also contains the natural 40Hz stop in addition to 30Hz and 60Hz.

Because I've definitely played games that aren't constant framerate and they have dips but did not have screen tearing. And on the flipside, I've played games with screen tearing that holds a steady framerate.

I'm no expert on this, but I've found tearing to present itself worse in some games more than in others. For example, Immortals: Fenyx Rising was pretty bad when it came to tearing while playing it on the Xbox Series X. The slowdowns aren't bad at all in the game and the framerate "felt good", but panning across an open world with tons of nice, vertical trees is just asking for tearing to pop up. Since that point, I've upgraded my living room to an LG OLED, so I no longer have that issue. The tearing was also god awful when I was trying to play Guardians of the Galaxy on my HTPC. It had an R5 3600 + RTX 3070, and the tearing was so easy to spot. After upgrading to the LG OLED, it all went away using G-Sync Compatible mode.

Reactions: purbeast0

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, but without VRR the PS5 version is choppy. Xbox runs "better" because the VRR smooths out the dips.
Ha I wonder if they will allow PS5 disc owners to download the PS4 version on PS5.

I guess I will see how it goes tomorrow when I get around to it. Not like I'm dying to play this game but knowing From Software, they are not likely to patch performance issues immediately over gameplay, art, and lore stuff, etc.

Again I think reviewers jumped the gun giving it such high scores without mentioning performance on console. Or perhaps the latest patches just made it worse.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I don't know if we have a good consensus on these terms, but I would argue that Elden Ring does not have an unlocked renderer because the game is limited to 60 FPS on consoles and PC. However, I think the point that they are trying to make is that the game has no function to limit it to a natural multiple of your screen's refresh rate. This is typically referred to as "V-Sync" and it's where a game may be rendering frames at 86 FPS, but the output is only 60 FPS, and if it drops below 60 FPS rendered, the output will likely drop to 30 FPS. This is actually one reason why 120Hz is so nice, because it also contains the natural 40Hz stop in addition to 30Hz and 60Hz.

In the context of consoles unlocked usually means just putting a frame limiter on instead of VSync. At least that's how Digital Foundry uses the term. And yeah, a 4k120Hz display would be nice to have just for VSynced 4k40 modes in games.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Blech, PS4 Pro version is 1800p checkerboarding, which is really rendering at half resolution (1600x1800 instead of 3200x1800) and reconstructing. The 1800p checkerboarding looks gross on Horizon Forbidden West. This really ticks me off that Sony refuses to support FreeSync and HDMI 2.1 VRR, because the PS5 port would have been awesome on FreeSync monitors and full HDMI-2.1 TVs if so. Can't believe I'm strongly leaning towards getting it on PC with my scrubby GTX 1660 Super vs the far stronger PS5 since FreeSync is such an awesome feature. But checkerboard to get 60 fps is a complete no-go for me when there are other options.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Maybe the game will grow on me, but so far it's fairly underwhelming. Graphics are somewhere between PS4 Dark Souls 3 and PS5 Demon Souls. This is maxed out on a 5950x/6900XT and the framerates are all over the place at times. Probably more of a PC optimization issue, but it's not enjoyable. The other thing that I'm struggling with is the input lag. I can click the roll or perry button, lift off and the action happens afterwards. Find it really hard to time anything when I have to click 1/2 second before I need to. Demon Souls, which I played very recently, or even DS3 didn't feel that way. Now I'm hesitant to get the PS5 version and be double sunk into this game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thats weird because for me, demon souls only had input lag if I played it in resolution mode.

If it's one thing I hated about the dark souls type of games is the input lag that sometimes felt like it was designed that way.

Hopefully it's just optimization issues for PC that can be fixed soon. I pretty much expected the graphics to be on par with demon souls too.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Maybe the game will grow on me, but so far it's fairly underwhelming. Graphics are somewhere between PS4 Dark Souls 3 and PS5 Demon Souls. This is maxed out on a 5950x/6900XT and the framerates are all over the place at times. Probably more of a PC optimization issue, but it's not enjoyable. The other thing that I'm struggling with is the input lag. I can click the roll or perry button, lift off and the action happens afterwards. Find it really hard to time anything when I have to click 1/2 second before I need to. Demon Souls, which I played very recently, or even DS3 didn't feel that way. Now I'm hesitant to get the PS5 version and be double sunk into this game.

Have you tried at high? God I hate ultra settings, always seem to tank performance without any gain in visuals.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
From Software is a really lousy dev from a technical standpoint. Hopefully they can clean this up eventually. I will be waiting until things stabilize a bit more.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I pretty much expected the graphics to be on par with demon souls too.

Eh crap, FromSoft games have great atmosphere but they're never anything close to cutting edge graphically. Demon's Souls looking the way it did was all Bluepoint. The original Demon's Souls wasn't impressive at all graphically for the PS3 era it released in.