Official Elden Ring Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I played for like 4 hours last night. Think I am at the first "real" boss in the game. It was shortly after I got to the round table. I turned it off after dying a few times at the boss. Faced a couple mini-bosses or something on the way as well as one in a cave. I started as the Samurai and so far am happy with my choice.

I am not fully understanding the whole summoning thing. It only works in certain areas and it seems to be a bit random as to where it works and doesn't when facing random packs of enemies.

I am having no issue with the framerate on PS5. I am playing in performance mode and noticing very minimal drops from 60fps. No screen tearing or anything when it does drop. Initially when the camera would pan and there would be something in the way and it jumped forward a little bit to get around it, I thought that was a stutter but once I realized it was just the camera moving forward temp to get around something, I realized it wasn't stuttering. But like in the middle of the game I am not really noticing much drop at all. It's happening but going to like 55fps or whatever from 60 for a short period of time just isn't bothering me at all. I don't know if it's because I'm running at 1080p or not but yeah, it's perfectly playable for me in performance mode.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm also playing on performance mode. I made it as far as the wolf cave. I'm paying as a Confessor class and I ended up farming a brass shield from the city gate ruins. It needed 16 strength so I farmed some more

I also beat the mini boss in the wolf cave too which gave me some sort of fire talisman. I do notice sometimes when it's raining and you try to move the camera a lot, there's a dip in frames.

I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to go next but I suppose I follow the yellow lights at the grace.

What's the difference between applying ashes of war to my sword with standard vs quality? I couldn't understand what it meant so I didn't attach it yet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm also playing on performance mode. I made it as far as the wolf cave. I'm paying as a Confessor class and I ended up farming a brass shield from the city gate ruins. It needed 16 strength so I farmed some more

I also beat the mini boss in the wolf cave too which gave me some sort of fire talisman. I do notice sometimes when it's raining and you try to move the camera a lot, there's a dip in frames.

I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to go next but I suppose I follow the yellow lights at the grace.

What's the difference between applying ashes of war to my sword with standard vs quality? I couldn't understand what it meant so I didn't attach it yet.
I tried both standard and quality and I couldn't tell you the difference lol.

I think that wolf cave is more of a side quest type of deal right? I found another one similar to that with some fire booby trap things, opened a shortcut that lead to a fog door but I never went in there because I had a ton of ruin and didn't want to die and have to worry about fighting the boss over and over to get em back.

I am a bit past the city of ruins part. You go left up that path through the arches as far as the next spot to go. You can kind of tell where to go when you get to the grace thing and just look at the direction the light is blowing with in the wind, very similar to how Ghost of Tsushima showed you how to go with the wind. But you only really see that when you are near one of those things.

I'm also finding the controls to be somewhat clunky like I felt with Demon's Souls. I think it's just because there is so much crap to do. The worst offender for me though is when I have the bow on and just want to go back to the damn sword. I press right dpad to pick the sword and it does nothing and next thing I know I am melee'ing with the bow doing no damage. I've tried to make it a habit to press left dpad to just switch back to the shield which puts the sword back in my right hand.

Also, this happens to me like every damn time I look at the map. I press the touchpad to look at the map, then press the touchpad again to close it. Only pressing it again does not close it, it brings up some other menu, so then I have to press circle to get out of that menu, and circle again to get out of the map. Why touchpad doesn't toggle the map is beyond me and just annoying cause I can't break the habit lol.

Reactions: jman19

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I'm also struggling with controls. I try to one hand my sword and end up swinging it instead. I spent 20 minutes trying to kill the one heavy guy near the city ruins too. He didn't drop anything good at all.

Or I'll try to cast my urgent heal spell but instead I fumble around and accidentally cast the assassin spell.

I did end up getting a great sword but it's pretty heavy so I'm not using it yet. What's funny about this game is you will explore and just run into some craziness that will have you running away.

I think I should continue along the path of the grace to at least get to the world hub.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If you guys are having some difficulty with this game, it's gonna seriously kick my mouse and keyboard FPS playing self all over the place.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If you guys are having some difficulty with this game, it's gonna seriously kick my mouse and keyboard FPS playing self all over the place.

I think it's easier than other Souls games I have played, and definitely easier than Sekiro. Then again, I have played a bunch of Souls games and am used to them now lol.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Anyone getting annoyed by the PS Plus advertisement that pops up if you don't have PS Plus every single time going into the game?

Reactions: purbeast0

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I just started playing and I'm already on like my eighth try to try beating the first soldier

I'm playing with the hero. He is so slow to get up. I guess because of his dexterity

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I just started playing and I'm already on like my eighth try to try beating the first soldier

I'm playing with the hero. He is so slow to get up. I guess because of his dexterity

You're not trying to fight Tree Sentinel are you? You gotta be ridiculously great at Souls games to beat him at the beginning of the game.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You're not trying to fight Tree Sentinel are you? You gotta be ridiculously great at Souls games to beat him at the beginning of the game.
No. Just the soldier of G something. Like still the training part

I'm just terrible. The only game I've played with a controller in the last 10 years is dying light 2. but that goes pretty well.

I've only played fps with mouse and keyboard

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
So far 10 hours in on the PC and another 5 on the console and a grand total of 1 unique trophy unlocked. Doesn't feel like I'm making much progress, even though I have a lot of the map showing and a few dozen Sites of Grace.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So far 10 hours in on the PC and another 5 on the console and a grand total of 1 unique trophy unlocked. Doesn't feel like I'm making much progress, even though I have a lot of the map showing and a few dozen Sites of Grace.
I made it past the storm gate barricade with the giant ogre guy. Beat him and then ran past all the archers. Not sure where to go from there. What's nice is you can fast travel easily from the map.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Anyone getting annoyed by the PS Plus advertisement that pops up if you don't have PS Plus every single time going into the game?

I got tired of LG WebOS giving me ads so I started using Adguard Home and come to find out over 20% of my internet traffic is ads / tracking crap. Give that or PiHole a spin.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So when I turned it on last night I figured out how to stop this.

Go into your settings in Elden Ring and there is a network tab. I believe it is on that tab. There is a setting for how you want to start your game up - online or offline. It was defaulted to online, so was trying to connect, failing and showing that PS+ advertisement every time before going into offline mode. I turned that option to offline and rebooted the game to see if it would come up, and it didn't.

• Love
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So when I turned it on last night I figured out how to stop this.

Go into your settings in Elden Ring and there is a network tab. I believe it is on that tab. There is a setting for how you want to start your game up - online or offline. It was defaulted to online, so was trying to connect, failing and showing that PS+ advertisement every time before going into offline mode. I turned that option to offline and rebooted the game to see if it would come up, and it didn't.

Thanks, that worked great.

Reactions: purbeast0

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So everyone else like calling the dogs on everyone?

Now about ten hours in it's fun going any picking off every miniboss that pissed me off in the first hour or two lol.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm still trying to find the night calvary that will drop the ashes of war shield barricade. I think that will help me out before I go to the main objective, or the castle.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I defeated Margit last night. After I was leveled up a bit (was at 21 I think) it was not too bad. I think I died like 5-6 times before getting him, but each time I had him at like less than 25% health left. I was initially trying with this +7 spear I found but I ended up doing better and defeating him with the +2 samurai sword I have built from the beginning.

And damn, this just looks so badass. Had to stop and stare for a bit.

3DDAuyw.jpg

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Did you upgrade your Flask replenishment amount? Should be +2 or so by the time you get there.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Did you upgrade your Flask replenishment amount? Should be +2 or so by the time you get there.
Looks like he found some extra golden seeds. I was watching FightingCowboy stream his walkthrough prep for this game and the first thing he's gonna show people how to do is gather a bunch of golden seeds and find a stronger weapon.

I have not upgraded my weapon at all but I've only found one other sword that does like +15 more damage than the confessor's boardsword that you get.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Damn I have barely done any of the main quest yet. I just like going and finding dungeons and taking out whatever big bastards I can find in the open world. Uchigatana with sheathe attack is a madman in boss fights.