** OFFICIAL DOOM 3 THREAD** - DOOM 3 1.1 PATCH RELEASED!

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Spudd
Originally posted by: BroeBo
Anyone else find the end boss to be too easy? I played in the hardest mode you can play in the first time (maybe Marine) and he was super easy (run around in a circle killing the weak guys then unleashing the soul cube on the big dude)...now im on to the hardest mode...this is going to be insane....

He is once you figure out that only the soul cube can hurt him. They should have had the ground start breaking up and floating up and down in pieces once his health got to 65% to make things difficult. :p

That said, it's possible that it's just that you had it on normal or easy. Try playing on insane and see if it's easy. They'll probably throw Revenants, Cacos and Barons at you instead of Imps and those crawler things. That should be more than hard enough for you.

they give u hints through out the game that says the soul cube is the only way to defeat him...i just assumed that i could only hurt him with it...and it worked in like 4 or 5 shots..

Most of the game was pretty challenging but I really thought the end guy would change modes and do stuff other then just walk around and fire 3 rockets everyonce in a while. i played it on the hardest mode i could play when i first bought the game. i dont like playing games that I spend a wad of cash on to be easy :)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I heard medium quality is best for 9800 PRO's?? I run mine on high at 1024x768 and its fine. Dosent lag and looks like far cry did :D works for me.

Andvari

Jan 22, 2003
http://www.auburn.edu/~goldema/warning.jpg

I'm getting these warnings imediately after loading a save file. For example, the autosave at the beginning of the Alpha Labs, like in my screen shot. As soon as the game is loaded, I press ~ to bring down the console and those 3 warnings are there. Why am I getting those warnings? Seems like I remember getting a similar problem in Quake 3 as well. I'm not running any mods, my DoomConfig file is unedited, and my AutoExec file shouldn't have anything in it that would cause this.

The pak003 file seems to be the pak file with all the sounds in it, and guisounds.wav is nowhere in that file. Should it be? This is weird. Oh and BTW, I'm not actually experiencing any problems that I'm aware of. No crashing, no sound/graphics problems. I'd just like to know why I'm getting these errors.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Oh yea one really annoying thing i found about this game is that things dissapear once youve killed them!! wtf? i like to examine what ive killed :p I tried looking at a pinky but yknow it attacked, bashed me to hell and i was forced to kill it :( Apart from that though, great game!

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
From my experience I think some of the enemies only disappear if you "overkill" them. If you do just enough damage to barely kill them, they slump over and die, and stay on screen. Then you can walk over to them and beat their brains out till they disappear.

welst10

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2004
Doom 3 multiplayer is almost unplayable to me. So many problems. Servers say full when the browser indicates there are many space left. Ping sucks. ID has a lot of fix and updates to release.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
I've played the game through in its entirety, and now it's my turn register my thoughts:

THE GOOD

- The visuals are simply stunning; probably the best I've ever seen in a game.
- Voice acting was some of the best I've ever heard. This is an often overlooked aspect of gaming, IMO.
- The engine ran smooth at high detail on my mid-range system. No stutter or chugging.
- The atmosphere was near perfect. Fear and aprehension easily experienced.
- Character models, both human and demon, were beautiful, especially the Hell Knight.
- Weapons were well-modeled and varied.
- The details were incredible, from the blood writing on the walls to the exposed conduits, computer monitors, and hissing steam.
- The special effects were very well done.
- The plot was engaging enough to keep me interested.
- PDA concept with emails and audio files was a nice touch.
- Generally excellent presentation.

THE BAD

- Lackluster, repetitive, linear gameplay.
- Poor enemy AI.
- Weak level design. Hallways and little rooms get boring after a while.
- "Monsters in closets."
- Weak weapon sound effects.
- Crap ending full of loose ends.

Overall, I'd give the game 85%.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
I just found out the flashlight kills those Flamin flying Skulls with one whack :p hehe

(one was in my face, and I missed the weapon switch)

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
9/7 - DOOM 3 BETA PATCH RELEASED!

Doom 3 beta patch is out!

id Software has decided that they want to do a beta run of the DOOM3 patch before sending it out into wide release.

GENERAL
- Updated some cvar docs

INTERFACE
- Added toggle functionality to movement commands (i.e. toggle crouch as opposed to holding the button down) - Added in_togglecrouch, in_togglerun, & in_togglezoom
- Fixed g_voteFlags so that spectator and nextmap could be individually toggled
- Made print screen bindable.
- Added mouse wheel scrolling to server list (gui list boxes).

NETWORKING/MULTIPLAYER
- Bumped damage up on rocket jumping in multiplayer
- Decreased damage from chaingun to 25 in multiplayer
- Exploding barrels to full damage to attacker in multiplayer
- Increased height for falling damage in multiplayer
- Made r_skipNewAmbient, r_skipSpecular, r_skipBump, and r_shadows cheat protected
- Made g_fov modifiable in mutiplayer from 90 to 110
- Changed server protocol version from 1.33 to 1.34
- Fixed rocket launcher dealing no splash damage to player at certain angle in Edge 2
- Added join messages when players join an MP game.
- Fixed players stuck spectating when no spectators vote is passed.

RENDERING
- r_aspectRatio now uses 0, 1, or 2 (4:3, 16:9, 16:10)
- Fixed in-game videos disappearing if you go to the menu and return

...mirrors coming soon.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Now fix for the game forgetting what weapon you had previously equiped to the flashlight when you look at a PDA?

I thought that would be an easy fix. :confused:

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I bought Doom3 3 days ago and my friend asked me if Doom3 supports gamepad/joystick? I look around and I don't see anything on Doom3 control settings. So I assumed it does not support gamepad right?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
9/28 - DOOM 3 1.1 PATCH RELEASED!

A new DOOM 3 patch, which is no longer beta and now updates the game to version 1.1, is now OUT! The change list is pretty much identical to the 1.05 beta one, but there is an extra singleplayer fix which people had been asking for: "Fixed issue when switching between flashlight and previous weapon after using the PDA". FINALLY! As before, the update resets your progress in a saved game, so you'll have to play whatever level you're on from the beginning.

Mirror 1
Mirror 2

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
The level restart detail blows goats! I had to God-mode it all the way thru Hell to get back to the Balrog guarding the Soul Cube. Bleah. Also, it doesn't appear they've fixed the static and dropouts with nForce 2 mobos. Double drat.

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Soviet
I heard medium quality is best for 9800 PRO's?? I run mine on high at 1024x768 and its fine. Dosent lag and looks like far cry did :D works for me.

I have a 9800pro, 128MB mem, 256 bit mem bus width, non-OC'd.
I'm doing 1152x862 medium quality, with occasional lags (<10% of the time).

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Spudd
From my experience I think some of the enemies only disappear if you "overkill" them. If you do just enough damage to barely kill them, they slump over and die, and stay on screen. Then you can walk over to them and beat their brains out till they disappear.

Exactly the thing I miss from the original Dooms -- that awfully sweet melting sound of exploded humans/imps and piles of gore that stay where they are. Made the use of the rocket launcher VERY addictive. Same goes for the demon types -- cacodemons with insides hanging out, pinkies with a bashed-up look on their faces -- now they all just evaporate into thin air. tsk tsk tsk.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
I dont get it ...

I was on the last map, and then they released a patch ...?
I took my time playing obviously,,,, and it looks like they did also ..

Needless to say ,,, I didnt install a patch for my last hour of play ...

:thumbsdown:

galaga88

Oct 2, 2004
Wow, this thread is huge. I hope this hasn't been asked already. Anyways, I've heard people mention that Doom 3 really loves 1GB of RAM. I downloaded the demo to try on my 512MB A64 system, and it seemed to run great, with memory hiccups only coming after loading a save game. Is the full game similar? It's not like RAM is expensive nowadays.

draazeejs

Aug 12, 2004
I got some delays opening doors and stuff, only sometimes, when I had 512 RAM, upgraded to 1GB and it runs silk smooth.
Maybe something was wrong with my WinXP settings, not sure, but now it runs very well, no problem, and, as you said, RAM costs not so much nowadays anyway.