**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 433 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Or you can have a respec option but something that doesn't allow you to keep respeccing on the fly like in WoW.

I never heard anyone complain about a games inclusion of a stat distribution system before. As it stands now every barb is the same, every Wizard is the same etc. The only thing that separates us is gear.

Not complaining about stat distributions. Just saying allowing stats and then punishing players for not researching the game (by disallowing respecs) before playing it is a terribly stupid and antiquated idea.

so tell me, what's a good idea that allows you to respec but doesn't punish players for respeccing too often? By virtue of setting limitations on the # of respecs or even the amount of time before respecs, it punishes casual players and people who want to experiment and test things.

wow uses respecs are a gold sink and its effective enough at that, but I don't want to compare diablo or torchlight to a mmorpg since that's getting too far off topic.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Wanted to chime in a bit on the game. Many have said that they have never found or rarely have found items for their own characters. I have actually found most of the items on my WD on my own. My zuni chest, zuni boots, manajuma knife, ukhapian serpeant, gloves, vile ward. Only things I've bought are my zuni ring, lacuni /w crit, ammy, and blackthorne pants. I actually have better rings than my zuni, but I like the set bonus for my bears build.

Anyhow,

It seems most items I find rolls 75% of the time. Example, I've found about 4 vile wards, 3 int and 1 str+int, but the str was higher. 3 skorns, all int. 1 echoing I found while using my barb, it rolled str.

It seems, in my exp, Blizz has made it that your class stat is the priority on multiclass uniques.

Of course, I can only speak for myself and my own experience though.

As many have

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Or you can have a respec option but something that doesn't allow you to keep respeccing on the fly like in WoW.

I never heard anyone complain about a games inclusion of a stat distribution system before. As it stands now every barb is the same, every Wizard is the same etc. The only thing that separates us is gear.

yeah I don't get the apologists here....when has being able to customize your stats EVER been a bad thing? It's like just arguing for the sake of arguing

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Not complaining about stat distributions. Just saying allowing stats and then punishing players for not researching the game (by disallowing respecs) before playing it is a terribly stupid and antiquated idea.

so tell me, what's a good idea that allows you to respec but doesn't punish players for respeccing too often? By virtue of setting limitations on the # of respecs or even the amount of time before respecs, it punishes casual players and people who want to experiment and test things.

wow uses respecs are a gold sink and its effective enough at that, but I don't want to compare diablo or torchlight to a mmorpg since that's getting too far off topic.

If someone is a casual player they're not going to be respecing often because they don't play it enough. They're not going to be hitting any limit

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
yeah I don't get the apologists here....when has being able to customize your stats EVER been a bad thing? It's like just arguing for the sake of arguing

No one is saying it is a bad idea, just that games force you to keep those decision or relevel. They are also saying have ANY limitation to respecs stifles innovation in builds.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Interesting... I tried logging some stats between MP levels and acts...

Long story short, MP4 gimped my goldfind rate by ~30% compared to MP2 thanks to deaths and more difficult monster. MP3 was somewhat similar, but not as bad. ...

I've been doing the same thing lately. I've taken different run types, durations, and calculated my effective exp/hour according to my DPS. The higher your DPS, the more difficult the monsters you should be killing to effectively make use the time involved versus the reward of each monster killed. Basically, I figured out that the more exp/dps (higher number) is better. If I tried something else (a higher or lower MP, different run pattern, different act, etc...) then my effective exp amount would lower or raise, allowing me to see that my time could more effectively be spent doing the opposite of whatever I just changed. This will become especially important with the additional experience rewarded for higher MP going into 1.0.7. I'll google doc my spreadsheet when I get home to show you what I mean.

Basically the guy put up a spreadsheet on google docs showing that the kill speed on MP1...

Here is the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7tAwGDT2NWqYjhtS3hqU1N6dm8/edit?pli=1

Ya, the problem with that spreadsheet is it's based on 30k DPS. That's great, for someone that has 30k DPS, but a lot of people that are PL40+ will more often than not have 100k+ DPS, at least. So the spreadsheet can't be taken as the end all be all for everyone. Not to mention, people play differently, with different skills and different characters. Which all affects how effective your exp will be gained.

I'm sure you'll also find my spreadsheet interesting for said purposes. ^^

Also, as far as what MP you do that is most efficient depends on your gear.

Exactly. :)

Edit: Here it be. Unfortunately I use Openoffice, and .ods isn't supported with google docs, so I had to copy/paste it and lost all the pretty formatting I had done. I'm not about to redo all that, lol. >.<

Last edited:

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
No one is saying it is a bad idea, just that games force you to keep those decision or relevel. They are also saying have ANY limitation to respecs stifles innovation in builds.

You know how I know that is BS? Both PoE and D2 have a system where you have to stick with the skills/stats decisions you make leveling up and both of those games have infinitely more character builds than D3.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
You know how I know that is BS? Both PoE and D2 have a system where you have to stick with the skills/stats decisions you make leveling up and both of those games have infinitely more character builds than D3.

PoE doesn't allow you to respec? Not interested. Being forced to keep your original build selections is an antiquated design element.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Wanted to chime in a bit on the game. Many have said that they have never found or rarely have found items for their own characters. I have actually found most of the items on my WD on my own. My zuni chest, zuni boots, manajuma knife, ukhapian serpeant, gloves, vile ward. Only things I've bought are my zuni ring, lacuni /w crit, ammy, and blackthorne pants. I actually have better rings than my zuni, but I like the set bonus for my bears build.

Anyhow,

It seems most items I find rolls 75% of the time. Example, I've found about 4 vile wards, 3 int and 1 str+int, but the str was higher. 3 skorns, all int. 1 echoing I found while using my barb, it rolled str.

It seems, in my exp, Blizz has made it that your class stat is the priority on multiclass uniques.

Of course, I can only speak for myself and my own experience though.

As many have

You sir, have good luck in the game, or it's rigged.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Ya, the problem with that spreadsheet is it's based on 30k DPS. That's great, for someone that has 30k DPS, but a lot of people that are PL40+ will more often than not have 100k+ DPS, at least. So the spreadsheet can't be taken as the end all be all for everyone. Not to mention, people play differently, with different skills and different characters. Which all affects how effective your exp will be gained.

I'm sure you'll also find my spreadsheet interesting for said purposes. ^^

That spreadsheet is just a baseline to show that the MP system doesn't award playing at higher levels. Obviously if you do higher DPS, you can farm higher MP's more efficiently, but still less efficiently than lower MP levels, so it does apply to all. It just doesn't make sense for some to clear full areas at MP1 before the enemies even realize they are there, it kinda takes the fun out of it too :awe:.

That being said, although Blizzard is adjusting the exp points to fix this, it looks like the MF amount is staying the same, so it will still remain more efficient to farm lower MP levels when looking for them. But at least the higher exp points will give you an incentive to farm higher levels now.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
That spreadsheet is just a baseline to show that the MP system doesn't award playing at higher levels. Obviously if you do higher DPS, you can farm higher MP's more efficiently, but still less efficiently than lower MP levels, so it does apply to all. It just doesn't make sense for some to clear full areas at MP1 before the enemies even realize they are there, it kinda takes the fun out of it too :awe:.

That being said, although Blizzard is adjusting the exp points to fix this, it looks like the MF amount is staying the same, so it will still remain more efficient to farm lower MP levels when looking for them. But at least the higher exp points will give you an incentive to farm higher levels now.

I'll be curious to see how the new exp changes work out. I know my brother and I will be doing some higher MP level farming and I'll be spreadsheeting that, too. :D

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'll be curious to see how the new exp changes work out. I know my brother and I will be doing some higher MP level farming and I'll be spreadsheeting that, too. :D

Yeah, I think it will be a good change. I'm looking forward to speeding up my leveling. I don't have a ton of time to play, so it will be nice to hit 100 before I turn 100 :biggrin:

It would be really neat if they awarded with better affixes on items the higher MP level you farmed. Like each increasing MP level has a higher monster level that dropped higher item levels or something. I'm not a big fan of hinging everything on MF% and chance to drop, regardless of difficulty level.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

No, they have more meaningless micro-choices. Ultimately they don't make a difference; in D2 you could distribute your stat points a trillion technically different ways, but the ultimate difference it makes is virtually negligible. The only stat that actually made a tangible difference to your character was Vitality. Skills weren't much better; building consisted of "rush your main skill [which was almost always a big powerful AoE so you only needed one button to press], put 20 points into it, then put 20 points into all it's synergy skills".

I only played PoE for one weekend a few months ago (it sucked) and it played out very similarly. For all the boasting about it's "web" or "grid" or whatever it is, building ultimately comes down to "Pick 'Major' nodes then draw a line between all of them. If you go left, you'll end up with marginally more stat X. If you go right, you get marginally more stat Y." It looks neat at first glance, but what it boils down to is "Pick the major nodes you want, connect them in a way that gives you the stats most useful to you"; they even have a 'calculator' of sorts on the official site to show you the most direct path to take between them. It's not a bad idea really, but it's not nearly as complex as people give it credit for either.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

Yeah they should make the MF go up more significantly at higher MP levels. EXP is nice, but MF gets you legendaries/set items and those get you gold.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

Nonsense. If limitations on re-specs are so bad, then they would let you change class at will. Games with limited or no re-spec options and complex build options have sort of a game within the game of developing the best possible build.

This is just one of many things where plays *think* they want it because it makes the game easier, but in the end it makes the game less fun in the long term.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

That is not true. At a point your character movement speed effects the efficiency. In MP1, I can't sprint the entire time so my runs are a bit slower than MP3 where I am not as fury starved. A monk I play wit on occasion has like 270k dps unbuffed. He can do MP6 just as fast as MP1 because his movement speed is what is holding him back, not the mob health.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
That is not true. At a point your character movement speed effects the efficiency. In MP1, I can't sprint the entire time so my runs are a bit slower than MP3 where I am not as fury starved. A monk I play wit on occasion has like 270k dps unbuffed. He can do MP6 just as fast as MP1 because his movement speed is what is holding him back, not the mob health.

Correct, there are a few builds where movement speed is the holdup. The author of the spreadsheets mentions that in the threads linked earlier.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I'm looking for 1 or 2 people who would be interested in starting a HC character to play together. Rules would be you can only play the character in the group and you can't use the AH. You can only use what we find in play and pass between each other. I can play a few times a week at night. I think it make the game a little more interesting.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone having issues with the AH lately? It's been really slow for me, and I just had a few auctions listed as "expired" but they wouldn't move to completed. A few of them were sales too, and after I added 10 new auctions, it just overwrote the expired ones and I lost the gold and items (they never moved to completed).

I had the same issue on 2 of my accounts.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Anyone having issues with the AH lately? It's been really slow for me, and I just had a few auctions listed as "expired" but they wouldn't move to completed. A few of them were sales too, and after I added 10 new auctions, it just overwrote the expired ones and I lost the gold and items (they never moved to completed).

I had the same issue on 2 of my accounts.

Might be server wide. My in-game ping today was 600+, but I didn't really feel it.

AH took forever to load just to say how many items i had auctioned. Posting transactions took a long time too. Chat channels were also half what they normally are.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Might be server wide. My in-game ping today was 600+, but I didn't really feel it.

AH took forever to load just to say how many items i had auctioned. Posting transactions took a long time too. Chat channels were also half what they normally are.

OK, yeah I'm having the same issues then. It showed 0 for items auction, and just a red spinning circle below in the bid section, until I went to another tab then came back.

I'm glad to know it's not just me, I've been messing with my wireless network lately and thought I messed up something.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
The AH slow loading has been happening to me more and more lately as well.

I've also been tweaking my network adapter, router, modem, et al, in hopes to cut down on the lag-outs I experience. I play during the day, so network traffic shouldn't be the typical excuse, but I (and 50% of battle.net) have been fighting lag out deaths since...May? Lol.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
The AH slow loading has been happening to me more and more lately as well.

I've also been tweaking my network adapter, router, modem, et al, in hopes to cut down on the lag-outs I experience. I play during the day, so network traffic shouldn't be the typical excuse, but I (and 50% of battle.net) have been fighting lag out deaths since...May? Lol.

It just becomes a whole different issue when I lose gold or items, like what happened yesterday. Granted the amount was only 10k, and I didn't really care about the item, but I've read cases of people losing millions because of this same exact issue with the AH expiring the auctions, but not moving them to completed.

The only reports I've seen of this were last year though, which is why I thought there was an issue with my network and not the game. Oh well, I'll make sure I don't put any high value items up on the AH until it starts running better again.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Depends on the method, but yea, far as I know they've been pretty accommodating to multiboxing in WoW throughout the years as well.