**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
The reason why I brought up segmenting players based on difficulty is that higher difficulties are supposed to have a chance to drop better gear. The problem arises when a player in a lesser difficulty is simply able to buy gear that is not normally attainable to them (i.e. only drops on a higher difficulty), which gives him an edge. As much as having an auction house may ruin the spirit of a gear grinding game, the players are still acquiring gear that they could technically farm themselves.

The nature of the shared stash makes me think that players may not be segregated...

There's no segregation based on difficulty level. I have no proof of that specifically, but if you dig around you can find Blizzard quotes (not sure if it was interviews or battle.net posts or both) stating they see nothing wrong with twinking lower level characters, so the shared stash is just one way of promoting something most people want to do anyways. I mean, part of their business model relies on item trading...they're not going to purposefully implement ANY barriers to trading.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
there is. This is from the Blizzard page:

"Hardcore characters are a breed apart. With the challenges and rigors of that play style in mind, it's important to note that Hardcore characters on a Diablo III account will share exclusive access to a shared stash (as well as an auction house and gold pool) that's completely separate from the one used by Normal characters. Players will still be able trade items between their Hardcore characters, but they won't be able to give Normal characters access to anything that's only available on Hardcore Mode, or vice versa. "

If I'm misunderstanding you, my apologies. But Hardcare characters are indeed seperated from Normal mode chars. They don't mention if this will apply to the AH as well. I would guess not since you are using currency but that's just me.

Last edited:

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
I decided to try this last night, you can't really do anything but it's cool just to see the game and be able to run around some.

I might try it too. I've had poor luck over the past decade getting into betas, but this'll give me something to look at. The only FULL closed beta I managed to get an invitation to was a game called Carpe Diem--which sucked bad enough that I only remembered the game after checking my archived beta-related emails--and then developer company completely folded about 3 months later.

I did get close to a month of the LOTRO closed beta...fond memories. That was a fun game for a while. Oh...and the final weekend of the SC2 beta, which was basically only stress testing :|.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If I'm misunderstanding you, my apologies. But Hardcare characters are indeed seperated from Normal mode chars. They don't mention if this will apply to the AH as well. I would guess not since you are using currency but that's just me.

Thanks for the quote from Blizzard. It looks like that means the AH is separate as well.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006

"Hardcore characters are a breed apart. With the challenges and rigors of that play style in mind, it's important to note that Hardcore characters on a Diablo III account will share exclusive access to a shared stash (as well as an auction house and gold pool) that's completely separate from the one used by Normal characters. Players will still be able trade items between their Hardcore characters, but they won't be able to give Normal characters access to anything that's only available on Hardcore Mode, or vice versa. "

lol

Well the misunderstanding is my fault, cause I completely ignored hardcore mode when I typed that out. Hardcore is definitely a change of difficulty in a way, but I just never think of it when refering to Diablo difficulty. I meant simply normal, nightmare, hell, and inferno difficulties. That's how I interpreted the discussion earlier, somehow glossing over the fact that hardcore was even mentioned.

So yeah, going back on my words somewhat, there is segregation between hardcore and non-hardcore characters. This is true for both shared stash (there's 1 possible hardcore stash and 1 possible non-hardcore stash per account) and AH (can't buy from non-hardcore AH with your hardcore characters and vice versa). There is no real-currency AH available in-game for hardcore, only the gold AH. They've made all that clear so far, but I don't have links.

For non-hardcore, it seems like it's broken into 2 AH's: 1 gold based and 1 real-currency based.

Sorry for the confusion.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm at a loss. On one hand, I'm so excited for this game, and on the other, I don't want all my free time being sucked into it.

:(

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004

I probably missed the earlier conversation but this really isn't any different than D2. Well, no auction house in D2 but HC and SC chars have always been segmented. Sure you can sit in a chat room together but that's as far as the interaction goes. When I read "segmentation by difficulty" I assumed you meant by difficulty level.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i just watched the hour long beta gameplay at Gamespot...i'm a bit worried about the amount and variety of the skills...not sure i like it.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
i just watched the hour long beta gameplay at Gamespot...i'm a bit worried about the amount and variety of the skills...not sure i like it.

I haven't watched that exact video, but the beta is just the early levels. Think D2...what could you even do in the early levels except the most basic of skills?

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Keep in mind they don't let you customize your skills with runes in the beta yet (and max lvl is 13.) There will be a lot more variety once they push more content into the beta.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah that is one thing I'm worried about too, the whole skill system is completely different now. After looking at how you can modify each skills with gems or w/e I'm less worried about it and I think it might end up being a better system than D2. I mean in D2 you would focus most of your points into a few skills anyway and mostly just be spamming those skills so it doesn't really bother me that there are fewer skills overall.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Are diablo 3 beta keys trade-able according to their TOS/EULA?

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Are diablo 3 beta keys trade-able according to their TOS/EULA?

Technically, I don't think they can stop you if you're given a key via a giveaway/contest. However, Blizzard's keys are added straight to your account, and you cannot let anyone outside of your immediate family play on your account. So, that wouldn't work too well. :p

s1njin

Apr 11, 2011
Does anybody know if this game will work w/ a 360 wired controller? It would seem to be a natural fit to me.

Last edited: