"Official" DFI nF4 Ultra-D / SLI-DR Thread

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

starwars7

Dec 30, 2005
So I just started up my DFI Ultra D for the first time. And I had the Nvidia Geforce 7900 in the PCIE4 slot, and the bios is positing the following:

2-1-16-1

Does that mean that the PCIE4 is running at 16X, or 2X?

Thanks!

DavidK21770

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: HoldenMan
Ack....just building my system, Infinity NF4 Ultra...keep getting the PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable error message, followed by 'exiting nvidia boot agent' or something like that......then DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK ANC PRESS ENTER

Any reason why this would be?

The HDD, floppy and optical drive all appear in BIOS.....

is it normal to have this occur during building until windows is installed?

Any idea what it is?

Even tried booting with just the bare minimum connected, still the same deal.

Maybe just try installing windows then see what happens?

Sounds like it can't find anything to boot from. Do you have a bootable device before it in the BIOS -- that it can boot from?

nib95

Jan 31, 2006
have the temp reading issues of the expert been sorted out on the latest BIOS?
because I use to idle at 24 degrees before, and load at 38, now after installing the latest BIOS I idle at 34 and max load is about 46.

Spinne

Sep 24, 2003
Hey,
I just bought a spanking new DFI LanPartyUT NF-4 Ultra-D motherboard and installed my old CPU. My rig is now failing Prime95 with a Rounding Error. Memtest86 gives no errors in the BIOS though. At random, my rig gives me a BSOD with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL error. When I reboot, the failure agent says that Windows recovered from a serious error due to an unknown device driver. Any suggestions? I'm running Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT Ram btw.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Spinne
Hey,
I just bought a spanking new DFI LanPartyUT NF-4 Ultra-D motherboard and installed my old CPU. My rig is now failing Prime95 with a Rounding Error. Memtest86 gives no errors in the BIOS though. At random, my rig gives me a BSOD with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL error. When I reboot, the failure agent says that Windows recovered from a serious error due to an unknown device driver. Any suggestions? I'm running Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT Ram btw.

LanParty no likey Corsair ram. Check out dfi street.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Any suggestions on chipset fan replacements? Mine has started to make a nice pretty loud humming noise and overall doesn't seem to be cooling worth a damn anymore. Sadly, my PCIE card of course goes over the stock one, so whatever the replacement would be it would have to accomedate.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: alexandreBR
and so... any news towards fix for the cpu temp monitoring?

I do really think it can't be working properly.

There was a beta bios for the expert over on dfi street. All it did though was add an offset to the temp though. No real fix as of yet.

Radiohead57

Feb 11, 2006
Recently swapped a 3500 Venice (had been running at 2.6ghz) out of my rig and replaced it with a 148 Opteron. When making the switch I entered the bios and returned all the CPU multi, Vcore, VID settings etc to default before removing the 3500. All of my memory options and timings were not disturbed at all as the board has been rock solid. I then installed the 148 and mounted a Thermalright XP120 and rebooted without any issues. The board was supplying the CPU with betweeen 1.35 and 1.36Vcore to the chip at default settings.
This is my third opteron, I have had excellent results with my other 148 (running 2.9ghz+ in an asrock 939 Dual at slightly over default Vcore around 1.4V according to the Asrock bios and a few monitoring utilities), my second a 146 (running 2.6GHZ in an EVGA NF41 SLI AX ((Jetway clone)) at pretty much default Vcore as well).
Heres where this gets a bit interesting. After my initial boot I decided I would see just how far I could take the chip at default Vcore, not too darn far surpriseingly enuff. I thouhgt it may be a limitation of my memory whch I had been running 1:1 with the 3500 Venice but it hadn't caused me any issue previously so I started thinking onchip memory controller. I ended up feeding the opteron pretty much the same voltage I had be feeding the Venice just to get to 2.5ghz
CPU startup Vis 1.425
CPU Vid 1.425
CPU specila Vid control 110%
Needless to say these voltages fed to the opty raised my temps significantly even with the XP120. I set my RAM to 166 (yielded around 194 mem bus speeds) and met with better success then moved to 180 around on the RAM (yielded 230mhz membus), 250FSB on the CPU and all seemed well but still required significant voltage (those listed above. I left the machine running overnight folding after completeing sevearl loops of memtest without error. Sat down this morning thinking it would be nice to try lowering my voltage because of my temps and guess what. I slowly lowered my voltage between boots expecting a non booting issue like I encounterd last night. Guess what, now running 250X11, mem bus 230, 7-3-3-2.5 1T Vcore 1.35 CPU special Vid control @104% HTX4 =1000. I guess maybe there really is something to burning a chip in as my CPU temps under load with the XP120 (folding) is 47C which is a far cry from the 60+ temps I was getting before I started lowering my Vcore. I should also mention that I am running 2X1gig OCZ 3200 (OCZ4001024ELPE) and that the machine is rock solid at 2750.

A couple of questions.
1. Why would a chip that required 1.425V, CPU special vid control of 110% sudenly require significantly less voltage to maintain the same clock less than 24 hours later????

2. Any suggestions as to how I can get this beast to 3.0GHZ without watercooling?

I am going to attempt to get the membus to 250mhz from its current setting so that its runnning 1:1 with the system bus, I'llmost likely try relaxing my mem timnigs a bit to do that but I can see where I'm gonna have to start dropping the HT from X4 to X3 in all likleyhood. I've heard differeing takes on performance hits from this. Does the system truely suffer a alarge performance hit when going from X4 to X3 on the HT bus?

Any help would be appreciated.

kr0z

Banned
May 4, 2006
Purchase Advice - Geil Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR 2.0GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the memory I want to purchase for my Ultra-D.

Geil Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR 2.0GB( package consists of two 1.0GB memory sticks). GE2GB3200BHDC.

* 184pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered, high performance DDR memory modules.
* GeIL 5ns 32x8 & 64x8 Density DDR Chip.
* 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB.
* Optimized SPD for Dual Channel DDR motherboards.
* Blue Aluminum Heat Spreader.
* CAS 2.5 - 6 - 3 - 3 (GE2GB3200BHDC)
* 2.55V-2.95V
* Retail package.

Should it be ok?

:)

DidlySquat

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
yo peeps, a8n-sli "deluxe" owner (soon to be ex-owner) here, with a question about moving to DFI. If I replace my "ass"-us mobo with a DFI NF4 Ultra-D, will I have to reinstall anything ? They're both NF4 (although the A8N is SLI), so I'm hoping everything will just work the same, and windows will not need to be reinstalled. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

DavidK21770

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: DidlySquat
yo peeps, a8n-sli "deluxe" owner (soon to be ex-owner) here, with a question about moving to DFI. If I replace my "ass"-us mobo with a DFI NF4 Ultra-D, will I have to reinstall anything ? They're both NF4 (although the A8N is SLI), so I'm hoping everything will just work the same, and windows will not need to be reinstalled. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

I went from an Asus K8V to a DFI expert and had to repair winXP -- I seem the remember that it would boot, so I could do the easy repair by just starting an install from windows itself (instead of booting from floppy). That was a different chipset and CPU so I was surprised that it booted. But, I'd still backup and do the repair -- safer and more likely to be stable when your done :).

letdown427

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: kr0z
Purchase Advice - Geil Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR 2.0GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not being a snob, but there's your problem. I can't say it definately won't work, but you're likely to have more trouble than if you stretched to say, that 2GB of G.Skill PC4000 for $150(apparently) on newegg.

Ask on dfi-street maybe, but I'm prett sre they'll say Value = BAD.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you :)

kr0z

Banned
May 4, 2006
Clearly I shouldnt have asked here.

I asked at dfi-street and was advised that this ram runs without fault.