Official Avail. Nov 13th - Android 4.2 - LG Nexus 4 - Asus Nexus 7 - Samsung Nexus 10

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
These are fixed lenses. There are no moving parts.

no, they are autofocus lenses. there are moving parts inside. if you tap to focus you can hear them moving/clicking into focus, if you listen very closely.

some much older phones like the G1 were fixed focus, but most recent smartphones have not been.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Well been checking out my N10 for the last few hours. One thing that ticks me off though is it has a fair amount of back light bleed on pretty much all the corners. Its fairly noticeable on black or dark backgrounds. Is it impossible to get a table that has a nice uniformed screen? I have tried at least 10 different tablets this year and they all sucked in that dept. Is the Ipad the only tablet that has near perfect screen and almost no back light bleed?

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Still nothing from Google about my N4 order :/

No back-order email, no shipping email, nothing. This is just sad. I ordered literally 10 minutes after it was available and I haven't heard a damn thing except for the initial "order complete" email 25 minutes after purchase.

What does it say when you go to order history? ordered 8:52 am pacific time so I guess we ordered within 20 minutes of each other. I also got the email receipt ~30 minutes later and nothing since. Entire time order history listed Nov 15 as shipping estimate, even this morning. Then around 9:30 central I got the email with the tracking info that was blank until 3 pm. Around 7pm it started listing the delivery date as Monday with being originally scheduled for a Tuesday delivery. Louisville KY origin.

It looks like it will reach the nearby UPS facility tomorrow morning. Is there any way for me to get the package tomorrow rather than have it delivered Monday?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is there any way for me to get the package tomorrow rather than have it delivered Monday?

Depends on the UPS facility it is getting delivered to. Give them a call and see how agreeable they are, IME the smaller the facility, the more likely they will be to working with you.

Feb 19, 2001
Scheduled For Early Delivery On:Monday, 11/19/2012, By End of DayOriginally Scheduled For Delivery On:Tuesday, 11/20/2012, By End of Daywoot woot!

Nexus 10 that is....

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Depends on the UPS facility it is getting delivered to. Give them a call and see how agreeable they are, IME the smaller the facility, the more likely they will be to working with you.

Looks like they are "closed" for weekends. This sucks, both got here on Friday and sitting 12 miles away, can't get either before Monday.

348kab4.jpg

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
What does it say when you go to order history? ordered 8:52 am pacific time so I guess we ordered within 20 minutes of each other. I also got the email receipt ~30 minutes later and nothing since. Entire time order history listed Nov 15 as shipping estimate, even this morning. Then around 9:30 central I got the email with the tracking info that was blank until 3 pm. Around 7pm it started listing the delivery date as Monday with being originally scheduled for a Tuesday delivery. Louisville KY origin.

It looks like it will reach the nearby UPS facility tomorrow morning. Is there any way for me to get the package tomorrow rather than have it delivered Monday?

Still says shipping estimate Nov 15th. Still pending in Google Wallet, and still pending on my CC. I called earlier today and the guy I spoke with said that it's still processing and that I should receive an email by the EOD today, or over the weekend, but I'm thinking that the CSRs, while not their fault, don't really know any more than I already know.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Still says shipping estimate Nov 15th. Still pending in Google Wallet, and still pending on my CC. I called earlier today and the guy I spoke with said that it's still processing and that I should receive an email by the EOD today, or over the weekend, but I'm thinking that the CSRs, while not their fault, don't really know any more than I already know.

I do think your order "exists", will ship out and you should have it Wednesday.
After reading your post, I went to check my BOA account expecting to see the payment cleared. Nope. The balance has been "restored" as if my order had been canceled. Also the transaction has disappeared from the activity list.
I'm afraid they might recall.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
So he's impressed with the CRT off animation which has been included feature since Nexus S 2.3 Gingerbread. Great. Next he'll discover Face Unlock.

I really really hate when reviewers think a feature is new when it has been around for ages. Same thing happened when folders were improved in ICS. Just goes to show that most reviewers are just hacks doing it for page hits.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
After reading your post, I went to check my BOA account expecting to see the payment cleared. Nope. The balance has been "restored" as if my order had been canceled. Also the transaction has disappeared from the activity list.

from my readings, this is a good sign. I have seen numerous people see their pending charge disappear and then either their order delivered or get tracking.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I really really hate when reviewers think a feature is new when it has been around for ages. Same thing happened when folders were improved in ICS. Just goes to show that most reviewers are just hacks doing it for page hits.

I'm pretty sure folders were improved in ICS? I don't remember being able to drag and drop icons onto each other to create a folder in GB?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

We're still waiting for your initial quick impression. :colbert:

So is it worth the upgrade from GNex? Does it feel much faster?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I'm pretty sure folders were improved in ICS? I don't remember being able to drag and drop icons onto each other to create a folder in GB?

They were improved, but many reviews said something like "android now has folders to organize your home screens!!"

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004

The charge is still pending on my CC. I'll call today about it and see if I can at least get the shipping charges refunded. It's not that I'm upset I didn't get it right away, I'm upset at Google's clearly lacking ability to be a competent online retailer.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
So I just ordered the Nexus 4 through T-Mobile. They were only selling it on contract, but it had a $300 instant discount so the price went from $500 to $200. The lady I was on the phone with was quite nice, I explained I just wanted the phone and would be cancelling the contract asap so she waived the activation fee. So the only thing I have to do is pay the $200 ETF when I get the phone.

So my total cost is $409, not too bad I'd say. They said it will ship in 3-5 days.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
The charge is still pending on my CC. I'll call today about it and see if I can at least get the shipping charges refunded. It's not that I'm upset I didn't get it right away, I'm upset at Google's clearly lacking ability to be a competent online retailer.

Agreed. I don't mind the poor inventory count, it's how they handled what little inventory they had. Orders should have been handled chronologically with transparency from start to finish. It's not just about delivery time, customers would rather have an item in a slow moving transit than a fast moving one, since that meant being in the dark for 3 days.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
So I just ordered the Nexus 4 through T-Mobile. They were only selling it on contract, but it had a $300 instant discount so the price went from $500 to $200. The lady I was on the phone with was quite nice, I explained I just wanted the phone and would be cancelling the contract asap so she waived the activation fee. So the only thing I have to do is pay the $200 ETF when I get the phone.

So my total cost is $409, not too bad I'd say. They said it will ship in 3-5 days.
Not too bad, but then again the $500 represents a $150 higher cost than from Google.

Of course, dealing with Google has proven to be a major downside for so many people. At least with T-Mobile if you were going to be with them anyway, you may as well take their $6-7/mo discount over the 2-years. You'll have your phone in a week too, from a company with much better customer service than Google has proven to have.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Not too bad, but then again the $500 represents a $150 higher cost than from Google.

Of course, dealing with Google has proven to be a major downside for so many people. At least with T-Mobile if you were going to be with them anyway, you may as well take their $6-7/mo discount over the 2-years. You'll have your phone in a week too, from a company with much better customer service than Google has proven to have.

It's proof Google isn't ready for the world of physical goods yet, as the Nexus 7 was another screw up. At some point though, it will be a disadvantage not to have a retail presence in some fashion when Apple and Microsoft both have their own stores. And I say disadvantage, because Best Buy and carriers are not the best advocates for their products.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Nice ping and download speed. I'm almost jealous. But then I remember how often I got EDGE with Tmobile and no signal in my basement.