**Official ATOT "I don't work in IT" club**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Construction, Project Management to be precise.
However, I do seem to get all the "IT type" work in our small office, and at my Daughters Dental office, but I don't mind!

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
What if you are a software engineer for a software company? I.E. not programming to support the internal IT system, but your labor produces the products directly to be sold. Does that count as IT or not?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
I count beans, lots of beans:)

I do computers for fun, friends and family. I pay someone to do IT at work

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SampSon
I no longer work in IT.
It's great.

Except today I wished I worked in IT, or had some authority in how to use a computer properly. We had to do a experiment utilizing previous settings that we would modify on a machine. The guy who usually does the lab tests has his own presets in the program.

However the lab tech in charge of the lab (not a computer type guy) wanted us to do things HIS way. We started the program and went into the "test method" to modify OUR presets to match this lab test. However, he wanted us to go into "run test" and then modify the parameters before hitting start button (I guess he was afraid we would save a new preset file to clog up the HD more).

He made us exit the presets window without saving our settings (even if it meant overwriting), and he wanted us to save it using the other method. I had to enter our test parameters all over again. Wasted 5 minutes of my life. The point is you save either way, and he only wants us to save using his method. It's like not letting me hit CTRL + S and making me close the file and type everything all over again so I can hit FILE => SAVE with my mouse.

I may not be IT, but I've worked IT, and yea that guy is just a tech, not an IT guy, so I was pissed. What makes it worse is he's not computer saavy. If he was technically competent and just wanted us to do things his way, I could understand. He just didn't see what I meant when I wanted to at least save our test settings so I didn't have to enter all those fields all over again.

I had a sudden urge to want to do IT again, but then the thought of how low level it is made me regret that thought.

dingnecros

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2005
checking in... High power RF engineer .. I think there shud be an Official "I do not work as a software/IT/computer professional" club. To many EE's are not working as EE's these days. Remember kids u cant spell gEEk or enginEEr without a EE ;)

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
No way do I touch IT.

I write drivers! Still, it's miles from IT. And I actually have to have OS theory knowledge to do my job.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nope...never have, probably never will. (/me is not that geeky)

Worked over 30+ years as a heavy equipment/crane operator, filling in the slow spots driving trucks of all kinds and sizes..
Currently working on an AS degree in Architectural Drafting/Engineering Drafting.