Official AT Guild Wars 2 Guild Thread

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i did the math...

and it seems running AC over and over again with chest drops is probably the most profitable aspect in the game.

Average 4 items per chest, 3 chests... 12 items drop.

Time to complete AC with full clears ~ 25 minutes.

Complimentary to Farming in CS... unless ur a high DPS warrior who can tag everything, you will hit DR within the first 5 events.
Meaning long enough to get daily.

In that 5 runs, you will probably get a little bit more then AC, but 5 events will take you somewhere between 25-30 minutes.

farming for gold in AC = Win unless someone wants to correct me.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
If you know how to flip stuff on the AH, you can hardly beat the gold earned per effort input at least.

And going on an 'ori run' is usually pretty good as well. Doesn't take that long and you can come out of it with about 1G purely in Ori as well as a pretty sizeable amount of ancient wood/elderwood/mithril/omnomberries/jewels/coral. Plus you're bound to run into some events/random drops along the way.

I know that for Jade Quarry at least some guild(s) put up node maps each time they refresh, though I haven't done one in a while. Unless you're chasing pets/dyes/legendaries you really don't need that much gold at all.

Even so, I wish I was still holding onto all my Elaborate Totems from when they were 1-2s lol, I can't believe how much they've skyrocketed in the last couple weeks.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Even so, I wish I was still holding onto all my Elaborate Totems from when they were 1-2s lol, I can't believe how much they've skyrocketed in the last couple weeks.

Yeah, I think it was after they banned a huge wave of bots that everything started skyrocketing. Abyss is selling for just under 10G and Celestial for 6G at the moment.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I really love GW2 it's a shame they are changing their core design to add in gear treadmill and power creep. I simply don't see any way around it, it is what it is, biger stats. My only explanation is simply pressure from NCsoft. I think the way they are rolling out the ascended gear speaks to this 2 slots at first and a slow rollout of more slots and ways to obtain the inflated gear. It's a delicate approach to something I feel Arenanet was forced into, obviously the player retention and concurrent active players isn't where it needs to be. I don't feel like this approach will cause people from all the other gear driven mmo's to give gw2 a try. Raiders gonna raid.

It's such a shame that this wrench was thrown into an otherwise epic content patch including a new zone a new dungeon and a new spvp map

I still don't know why they are chasing a group of people that the game simply doesn't appeal to it, this are the same people who will never be satisfied with "just one more tier" and they don't even have subscription to make this approach necessary. Everyone I seen saying GW2 complains the game being boring for all sort of reasons but never because the stat grind was too easy.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I still don't know why they are chasing a group of people that the game simply doesn't appeal to it, this are the same people who will never be satisfied with "just one more tier" and they don't even have subscription to make this approach necessary. Everyone I seen saying GW2 complains the game being boring for all sort of reasons but never because the stat grind was too easy.

I'm not even sure the "no progression after 80 with exotics" crowd really care about stats but in fact care about exclusive items only a few will wield while they are "max stats" so they can be unique snowflake.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
You don't need to be even somewhat of a powergamer to be fully exotic'd in little time at all. Unless you need a dungeon-only stat combination then you can get full exotic armor, weapons, and jewelry right from the AH. Or you could just go for 80 rares for a fraction of the price and be nearly as powerful; point being I think there are a lot of people who either get their rares and don't feel a drive for exotic or get exotic and don't care about a legendary; and once you hit that point there really isn't anything to do.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
You don't need to be even somewhat of a powergamer to be fully exotic'd in little time at all. Unless you need a dungeon-only stat combination then you can get full exotic armor, weapons, and jewelry right from the AH. Or you could just go for 80 rares for a fraction of the price and be nearly as powerful; point being I think there are a lot of people who either get their rares and don't feel a drive for exotic or get exotic and don't care about a legendary; and once you hit that point there really isn't anything to do.

But once they get ascended they will be forever satisfied.

Either you create a gear treadmill for these people, and apparently there are dozen of game titles for them or you will never satisfy them.

This started as one of the few titles for people that dislike gear treadmills and could care less about vertical progression.

I know, they want both crowds.
I don't believe they can get them, especially because there are games that stroke the epenis of the gear treadmill players much more.

So yeah, not being a power gamer to get max stats has always be one of the differentiating qualities of the Guild Wars franchise.

"Skill>Time spent playing".

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
But if you don't give people something new to obtain, what is there to do? WvW sucks, a person can only have so many alts, farming is well... farming, dungeons are ok but definitely not interesting enough to do 'just for fun', zone completion is amusing but hard to care about for any zone pre 65/70 (whatever the exotic cutoff is), and jump puzzles/achievements are just grind for grind's sake. The only good answer I can think of is sPVP or play the AH (I'm one of those guys that finds that to be endlessly interesting) but unless four of my friends decide they want to sPVP, it's just not that appealing.

I'm not sure how else they expected this to progress given the current crop of content, which is all quite accessible (in a good way) and easy (arguable whether that's good or bad), but I can't blame them for creating a bandaid fix to try to keep players playing, because that's what they're really lacking.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
But if you don't give people something new to obtain, what is there to do? WvW sucks, a person can only have so many alts, farming is well... farming, dungeons are ok but definitely not interesting enough to do 'just for fun', zone completion is amusing but hard to care about for any zone pre 65/70 (whatever the exotic cutoff is), and jump puzzles/achievements are just grind for grind's sake. The only good answer I can think of is sPVP or play the AH (I'm one of those guys that finds that to be endlessly interesting) but unless four of my friends decide they want to sPVP, it's just not that appealing.

I'm not sure how else they expected this to progress given the current crop of content, which is all quite accessible (in a good way) and easy (arguable whether that's good or bad), but I can't blame them for creating a bandaid fix to try to keep players playing, because that's what they're really lacking.

If you think that the only way to achieve progression is gear stats there are loads of games out there.

At least that was how I would respond to you up until 3 days ago based on 7 years of Guild Wars and 3 months of Guild Wars 2.

Apparently Anet decided to give me the finger and I'm not giving them more gem purchases.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
guild wars => Explorer wars! gotta get 100% map completition.
Guild wars => Solo Wars! who needs a party without a holy trinity!
Guild wars => Grind wars! So much grinding required for legendary.
Guild wars => Lions Arch Troll Chat <-- this is end game for a lot of us.

This game needs rework... i am close to being burnt out at the moment... which is why im holding on legendary. I have a feeling if i got my legendary, you guys wouldnt see me anymore.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
guild wars => Explorer wars! gotta get 100% map completition.
Guild wars => Solo Wars! who needs a party without a holy trinity!
Guild wars => Grind wars! So much grinding required for legendary.
Guild wars => Lions Arch Troll Chat <-- this is end game for a lot of us.

This game needs rework... i am close to being burnt out at the moment... which is why im holding on legendary. I have a feeling if i got my legendary, you guys wouldnt see me anymore.

Does a new grind for more powerful items solve that for you?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Does a new grind for more powerful items solve that for you?

only if it looks good..

i was ranting the other day about how everyone now has the AC sword.
Well when chives and i were farming for that sword we didnt have anything close to a 180 tear run per day routine.

Infact it took almost the entire day farm 100 tears alone.

Now i look to the left.. someone has the AC sword.. i look to the right.. another has the AC sword... i look up... AC sword... meh... you get what im saying?

Not that im really complaining about the AC tears numbers, i got my lvl80 fully geared the moment she hit lvl80 which was comedy cuz i had over 2k tears stocked up.

But as of this moment, a lot of us arent after the stats anymore. Were after cosmetics. Because the game content gets boring... grinding even more boring... rolling new classes.. unless ur name is Zin... not a lot of us wants to restart at 0....

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
only if it looks good..

Well when chives and i were farming for that sword we didnt have anything close to a 180 tear run per day routine.

Now i look to the left.. someone has the AC sword.. i look to the right.. another has the AC sword... i look up... AC sword... meh... you get what im saying?

Not that im really complaining about the AC tears numbers, i got my lvl80 fully geared the moment she hit lvl80 which was comedy cuz i had over 2k tears stocked up.

But as of this moment, a lot of us arent after the stats anymore. Were after cosmetics. Because the game content gets boring... grinding even more boring... rolling new classes.. unless ur name is Zin... not a lot of us wants to restart at 0....

Rolling alts with no penalty was at attracted me into the first GW in the first place.
10 LvL20 with their elite armors and that completed all the campaings.

So gear grind is a big annoyance for someone intended in rolling 8 level 80s.
That is my progression, learning all the classes from the inside out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
only if it looks good..

Kuz, you're the only person in the game that sticks to one character, really. GW was always about playing all the alts, and understanding the game far beyond a simple 111 2 111 2 111 2 111 2 play style. (well, now you ahve a guardian, I guess. so grats on expanding yoru horizons :D)

That seems to be your wheelhouse--fine. But those that got into GW and were anticipating this sequel, were into playing all classes and seeing what they bring to the table. gearing up is preposterously easy and quick, so is leveling, and so is the breadth of content once you finally get to the end levels. This is why the game is designed, and expected, to play several, if not all classes.

I'd wager your precious AC sword that the vast majority of players out there are running 4 or more alts.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Fractals is quite the dungeon, finally one that requires actual mechanics to beat and encourages you to switch skills around from boss to boss.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Fractals is quite the dungeon, finally one that requires actual mechanics to beat and encourages you to switch skills around from boss to boss.

I thought its the usual Anet great ideas but terrible execution again because I do not understand why getting DCed kicks you out of the dungeon and can't re-enter is remotely a good idea.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I thought its the usual Anet great ideas but terrible execution again because I do not understand why getting DCed kicks you out of the dungeon and can't re-enter is remotely a good idea.

That is servers melting due to too many users.

New content - tons of users back.

"Wait, not enough, I don't like Joe from the server department. Lets add a free trial to coincide with it!:twisted: "

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
For the record i stopped playing this game about a month ago now, the reason it simple, many feel the same reason as me.

1. Game is just way to easy.
2. The pvp is lacking. no real goal to it.
3. Having three races and they all love each other is not a good design. I could not wrap my head around any of the stories they put forward to you, having 3 races in a fantasy mmo all carebear for each other does not seem plausible to me.
4. Every class feels the same.

I enjoyed it for the $60, but I knew when I got 2 characters to level 80 in about 2 months it was not something many would play long term.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
For the record i stopped playing this game about a month ago now, the reason it simple, many feel the same reason as me.

1. Game is just way to easy.
2. The pvp is lacking. no real goal to it.
3. Having three races and they all love each other is not a good design. I could not wrap my head around any of the stories they put forward to you, having 3 races in a fantasy mmo all carebear for each other does not seem plausible to me.
4. Every class feels the same.

I enjoyed it for the $60, but I knew when I got 2 characters to level 80 in about 2 months it was not something many would play long term.

"Hi, I played the game so much and to such depth I don't even know there are 5 races, not 3."

Take his other feedback at your own peril, but sounds like someone that never played the game spitting the same diatribe GW2 haters have been spewing even before launch.

Which also goes with the posting history displayed in these forums on any talk about GW2.

I find absolutely surprising the amount of people that claim they know they won't like a MMORPG because a, b or c, and they still go ahead and buy it.

No wonder MMORPG players and MMORPG have such a bad name with other players.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
That is servers melting due to too many users.

New content - tons of users back.

"Wait, not enough, I don't like Joe from the server department. Lets add a free trial to coincide with it!:twisted: "

While it is expected there will be a sizeable rise of playerbase in new MMO content, I do not understand Anet's obsession with one-time only events because that without fail always provide for miserable experiences for every player involved, especially putting in a combat event in a zone with by far the highest-population that has zero combat since launch.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
While it is expected there will be a sizeable rise of playerbase in new MMO content, I do not understand Anet's obsession with one-time only events because that without fail always provide for miserable experiences for every player involved, especially putting in a combat event in a zone with by far the highest-population that has zero combat since launch.

Yeah, no idea either.