*** Official ASUS P5B / P5B Deluxe Thread ***

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dizzymon

Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Smenelian
I bought an external eSata hard drive recently. Problem is, the eSata port on my P5B deluxe doesn't recognize it when I plug it in. Nothing happens at all. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

I bought an estata enclosure and experienced the same thing. I ended up just using the usb 2.0 on my enclosure instead. So is the p5B vanilla not have an eSATA slot on the I/O? I'm a bit confused.

sethhobrin

Aug 8, 2006
Quick question for those familiar with raid capabilities.

Am I able to use a SATA drive to boot and then 3 other SATA drives as a RAID 5 array for storage?

How does one accomplish this configuration in the bios and what drivers are necessary and when do I install them? I want to boot from a single OS drive and then have a seperate raid 5 array for storage. Is this possible?

Would I be better off using Vista to create a software RAID 5 array?

ArchAngelZorak

Dec 11, 2007
I've been running my system based on the P5BDeluxe and E6400 for almost a year now, its always been stable but I know I can improve performance.

I've only tweaked with the settings a little bit, nothing serious.

I'm still using stock cooling but plan on picking up a thermalright 120 Extreme in the next week or so. I'm just curious whether I should get the latest bios before OCing or work with what is has(not sure atm).

I have 2g of Corsair 6400C4's in dual channel rated @ 800Mhz 2.1v and 4-4-4-12, but I've yet to key in these timings and it is currently set to auto.

I'm also currently using a single 8800GTS640 if that has any impact on bios setup.

I'd like to OC to run the memory 1:1 @ 800Mhz which I understand should be possible with this board/memory/cpu combination. It is currently running stock 266 FSB 2:3 mem ratio.

My hardware is quite common, and I'm hoping some of you may have some input to aid me in my endeavor to squeeze every last bit of performance out of this aging system until I can build a penryn based box in a few months time.

mattk8

Sep 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have a P5B Deluxe WiFi mb with a e6400 overclocked to ~3GHz. This system has been working great since I built it many months ago. Now, I can't get it to POST.

Around a month ago, the system started failing to post after powering on (the system would turn on, it would check the CD-ROM drive, etc., but the monitor stayed blank). However, if you pressed restart, the system would usually (95% of the time) POST and boot up as normal. Occasionally this "restart workaround" failed, and the system would have to be powered down, powered up again, and restarted, which would usually fix the problem. Once the system is up it is totally stable, no problems at all.

Today, I tried updating the BIOS in the hopes that this might fix the issue. I updated to the latest 1226 BIOS after downloading the file and using Asus Update to flash the bios from windows.

After restarting, the computer will now not post no matter what I do (restarting doesn't help).

This may be two different problems (BIOS messed up, plus original problem), I don't know. In any case the computer will turn on and appear to be powering up, but the monitor never displays anything and my old "restart workaround" is not doing anything.

Any ideas??? Thanks profusely for any advice.

Rafael

May 11, 2001
ArchAngelZorak,

Welcome to AT Forums!

I have a system pretty much like yours, and I have no problems. It is a good idea to get a after market HS solution. The Ultra-120 Extreme is one of the best HS out there.

It is a good idea to update the BIOS, I do not know what version you got there. But I recommend you to redo all you settings from scratch in the new BIOS. Do not save and use the OC Profiles. They changed a few things and it will not work very well.

Just use 400 Mhz and 1:1, keep the vcore in the default range for the E6400 which is up to 1.35v, you might set the PCIe frequency to 105 manually, and FSB Termination voltage to 1.4, raise the NB voltage to 1.45.

This will probably keep you away from the x1 problem. And use the CPU-Z to check it if you have the PCIe @ x16.

mattk8,

What I would suggest to you is clear the CMOS, leaving the BIOS to default settings. Because I did not see you mentioning it in your post.
Other suggestion is use the EZ Update in the BIOS. It is safer than the Asus Update.
BTW, what Windows are you using? If it is Vista, I think you will have to RMA it, because there are several ppl that had issues flashing the BIOS using Asus Update with Vista.

iLLz

Mar 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mattk8
Hi everyone,

I have a P5B Deluxe WiFi mb with a e6400 overclocked to ~3GHz. This system has been working great since I built it many months ago. Now, I can't get it to POST.

Around a month ago, the system started failing to post after powering on (the system would turn on, it would check the CD-ROM drive, etc., but the monitor stayed blank). However, if you pressed restart, the system would usually (95% of the time) POST and boot up as normal. Occasionally this "restart workaround" failed, and the system would have to be powered down, powered up again, and restarted, which would usually fix the problem. Once the system is up it is totally stable, no problems at all.

Today, I tried updating the BIOS in the hopes that this might fix the issue. I updated to the latest 1226 BIOS after downloading the file and using Asus Update to flash the bios from windows.

After restarting, the computer will now not post no matter what I do (restarting doesn't help).

This may be two different problems (BIOS messed up, plus original problem), I don't know. In any case the computer will turn on and appear to be powering up, but the monitor never displays anything and my old "restart workaround" is not doing anything.

Any ideas??? Thanks profusely for any advice.

I have had the same problem. The new BIOS 1226 and the previous BIOS 1223 do not like to overclock as well as the older BIOS 1219, etc. So when you boot, it will just sit there and not post at all. The only way I could remedy the situation is to unplug the PC, take out the CMOS battery, then set the CLRTC jumper to clear the BIOS. I had let the PC stay in this position for several days to actually clear the BIOS. Then reassemble and you should get the overclock failed message. I had to tone the overclock down considerably to get back up and running. If I set the overclock back to where I had it I got the same problem again and had to wait a few more days to clear the BIOS. It sucks, they butchered the new BIOSes.

ricenoodles

Oct 17, 2006
I have a P5B Deluxe and if I increase the value of anything in the BIOS related to overclocking, when in Windows it will be very laggy and slow. Why? I've not had a problem with this in my previous P5B vanilla.

faz432

Jan 10, 2008
HELP please...the problem I was formatting my old boot hard drive to use as a slave when our power went in the house, when i restarted my computer my USB sockets on my board wouldnt work i managed to find 2 that worked on a pci USB card but my USBs from the motherboard would not.

i've searched for solutions ranging from uninstalling all the USB drivers to reseting the CMOS? i fear i will have to buy a new motherboard...

any help would be very much appreciated thanks

< asus P5B motherboard
Intel E6600 @2.9ghz
msi nvidia 8600gts
wd raptor 10000rpm 36gb
420gb hd
320gb hd
2gb 667mhz Ram
windows xp sp2 />

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Has anyone been successful in getting this board to recognize 4GB of memory?
I have the P5B vanilla and 4 sticks of 1GB Corsair 6400C4 memory. But even after updating to the latest BIOS it still only reports 3008MB. I tried manually entering the memory timings into the BIOS but was unsuccessful.
Now I realize there is a 3GB limit for Win XP 32. But I'm not even talking about the OS yet. I'm just trying to get the BIOS to report the correct amount of memory, then I'll worry about upgrading to Win XP 64.
I've also been searching this thread for a possible answer. But 63 pages is alot of posts to go through. So I thought I'd add another post in hopes of a quicker answer.

JakS

Jan 24, 2008
Hi
I have the Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard with RTC Alarm enabled and set to turn on the PC every morning. It used to work perfectly, but about a month ago I bought a new HD and reinstalled Windows, and since then it hasn't worked properly.

It seems pretty random, and will only turn the PC on about two mornings a week, the rest of the time nothing happens. What's weird (and I'm sure related) is that when I shut down the PC in the evening, as it turns off completely my USB VIOP phone makes a pop sound, if it does that, it doesn't start up again the next morning, if it doesn't make the pop sound it it will start up.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks,
Jack

P.S. Also, there's no option in the BOIS, but if I get this working is there any way to set it to only automatically boot up on weekdays, rather than every day?

Peakers

Feb 10, 2008
Help ! This is the stickiest problem I've encountered in 6 years of system building !

P5B Deluxe/Wifi
C2D E6600
2m Corsair 6400C4

Built this sytem approx 8 months ago, running 500gb Seagate Sata as boot drive, with 2 further SATA HD's, 2 SATA DVDRW's & 1 IDE HD, all in IDE mode.

About a week ago, boot drive started getting flaky - sudden shutdowns/reboots, with chkdisk kicking in and reporting bad sectors (but not huge numbers).
Finally , a couple of days ago, system wouldn't boot - got through post, then dead stop.

I've disconnected everything bar a single SATA drive, formatted, and tried to reinstall XP.

The reinstall gets through all phases and reaches the point where it's loaded the install files
and says it's rebooting to continue installing windows. The process then starts all over again, and repeats over and over.
I've tried playing with SATA settings - setting to RAID and AHCI to see if I can break this cycle to no avail. I've even removed the battery and reset CMOS to defaults - still exactly the same. I've even tried it with just a single IDE drive installed - no difference.

I've no hair left - I've pulled it all out !!

Anyone came across this problem ? Is it the mobo ?

It posts OK and the bios shows whichever drives are connected, but when it boots, it goes straight back to the windows install cycle. Weird thing is, if I repeat the process after the first install atttempt, it shows an existing Windows installation (from the previous failed attempt !!) and asks if I want to overwrite it !!!!!

Please help if you can....... !!

Stahr

Feb 12, 2008
Smenelian and Dizzymon,

Not only do I have the eSata working, but I have a terabyte drive in it !
The enclosure I have handles sata, pata, usb and esata.

if you have XP, go into device manager, click on 'disk drive' and then click on 'action' and 'scan for...'

its a tiny hassle, i just keep a shortcut to device manager on my desktop
this is the best way i have found so far

hope this helps

P5B Deluxe bios 1226
E8400
zalman 9500
Corsair XMS
ati x1950 pro
X-Fi
antec 900
corsair 520watt

spiderhole

Sep 30, 2004
Upgrade to Q6600 or wait for Q9450?

I'm currently running a E6600 in my P5B deluxe and all is working well. I do a lot of 3d rendering that takes full advantage of quadcores so I would like to upgrade the cpu. My original plan was to get a Q6600, but with the Q9450 so close to release I am considering going that route instead. However, I do NOT want to overclock if possible (stability is paramount to me) and it appears you must O.C. the fsb speed @ 1333mhz to run the 45nm processors on the P5B Deluxe. I'm not sure how much overall effect this has compared overclocking the actual cpu clockspeed, which I had some bad luck with on the E6600 (heat issues and various OS and system stability problems). My memory is 4gb DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) cas5 Corsair, so I don't even know if this will allow OCing to 1333 fsb.

Also, I've been reading several posts on the Asus forum from people who have had major issues after updating their bios and installing a Q6600. Everything from no longer being able to post or boot into Windows to overall stability issues. Am I taking a big risk by even attempting a bios and cpu upgrade on this mb? BTW, my OS is XP pro (32bit).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Stahr

Feb 12, 2008
I'm no pro but :

I have a P5B Deluxe bios 1226. XP pro (32bit) Corsair XMS DDR2 800 (pc2 6400) I just installed an E8400 (fsb 1333). I had zero problems.
Both the Q6600 and the Q9450 have the same fsb speed, so you if you buy either one, you need the 1333 fsb.

I would wait, get the Q9450 which is predicted to have a good price, and better performance.
Also, a new bios may be out for the board (even though 1226 is working fine for many).
Overall, I think the risk is low.

Just curious, what were you overclocking the E6600 to ?
I just replaced my E6600 which I had overclocked to 3.0 with stock heat sink and fan, and the same ram mentioned above.

spiderhole

Sep 30, 2004
Actually, I think the Q6600 is 1066MHz FSB. The As far as my previous OC speed, it was under 3ghz (can't remember the exact number) and I tried several combinations of settings based on recommendations on a popular OC forum for the P5B. Main issue I had was heat. Also, found I could NOT install XP with the cpu overclocked or I'd get a corrupt install. This alone was enough to make me very nervous about keeping it overclocked period.

Thanks.

Originally posted by: Stahr
I'm no pro but :

I have a P5B Deluxe bios 1226. XP pro (32bit) Corsair XMS DDR2 800 (pc2 6400) I just installed an E8400 (fsb 1333). I had zero problems.
Both the Q6600 and the Q9450 have the same fsb speed, so you if you buy either one, you need the 1333 fsb.

I would wait, get the Q9450 which is predicted to have a good price, and better performance.
Also, a new bios may be out for the board (even though 1226 is working fine for many).
Overall, I think the risk is low.

Just curious, what were you overclocking the E6600 to ?
I just replaced my E6600 which I had overclocked to 3.0 with stock heat sink and fan, and the same ram mentioned above.

andylove

Feb 18, 2008
Hi,

I have som issues with finding drivers for Windows XP64 Pro. I used to download drivers from asus' download pages, but suddenly after their webupgrade there are only 3 boards left at the P965 site. Can someone point me to the correct link please? I will need all the drivers for my mobo. (asus p5b deluxe wifi)

Also I wounder if I can force an USB device to act like a floppy device in BIOS? I don't have a floppy for the XP installation. I have a RAID0 setup so I will need do have drivers added to the installation.

Thank's for your time, and sorry my poor english ;)

Darknessxk

Aug 30, 2004
Hi, I have a p5b-e motherboard that I picked up around a year and a half ago. Not sure if this has been talked about already in this giant thread but I have a questions about controlling the CPU fan. I have a 9500LED HSF installed which is 3 pin. Now I understand that it is possible to control 3 pin fans if you change the settings from PWM to DC. I've looked around and I don't see that option in the BIOS. I have also updated it to the newest version but I still can't change fan speeds. Speedfan also does not seem to work, but it can change the case fans. Does this motherboard just not support changing CPU fan speeds with 3pin? Thanks.

Redhotmonkey

Mar 19, 2008
Hi all,

much useful stuff here, i am looking to upgrade my ram as have vista 64 and asus P5B deluxe.

I currently have 2 gig of generic ddr2 800.

What is the max ddr2 800 I could have (I know the board allows 8 gig but I am thinking that is the slower memory and not 800 spd?)

And does anyone know what the max 1066 speed ram I could have is, I would really want 4 gig of PC8000 DDR2.

I have not been able to find much at Asus, the QVL for memory seems really out of date.

many thanks newbie on board.

markymoo

Aug 24, 2006
Originally posted by: ryan256
Has anyone been successful in getting this board to recognize 4GB of memory?
I have the P5B vanilla and 4 sticks of 1GB Corsair 6400C4 memory. But even after updating to the latest BIOS it still only reports 3008MB. I tried manually entering the memory timings into the BIOS but was unsuccessful.
Now I realize there is a 3GB limit for Win XP 32. But I'm not even talking about the OS yet. I'm just trying to get the BIOS to report the correct amount of memory, then I'll worry about upgrading to Win XP 64.
I've also been searching this thread for a possible answer. But 63 pages is alot of posts to go through. So I thought I'd add another post in hopes of a quicker answer.

go into bios northbridge settings and turn on memory remap. it will then show 4Gb. when you use post it will display 4Gb even before you enter XP x64, or in system info in the bios.

markymoo

Aug 24, 2006
for anybody who's thinking to pickup a cheap 65mm G0 Kentsfield to run with the P5BD and overclock it. i will tell you DON'T!. i have high end watercooling and can just manage 3.4gig. it passes 24 hour benches but still resets. i had a 6400 to 4gig stable with it. a quad is alot stress on this board. i had some weird anomalies going on when i pushed this quad and the idle temp was only 25C at 3.2! i was also active cooling the mb - going over 400FSB is something else! it better to buy a cheap IP35-E or DS3L board you will get better results!

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I ran a quad on my P5B-D OCed just fine.

Just have to make sure vcore is set awfully high to accommodate the horrible vdroop.

And for me, if i ran four dimms, i couldn't get one MHz past 399 with my Q6700.

markymoo

Aug 24, 2006
@n7
well it's not as simple as doing more vcore, it will not make a difference. I now found out theres a 400FSB wall with this board using Quads exactly what i'm experiencing. Switching to a P5K Premium gets 3.8.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I didn't need over 400 with my 10x multi.
As i mentioned, i hit brick walls at 400 MHz also.
I suppose if you want your Q6600 over 3.6 GHz that's a big issue, but they won't get much past that anyway without a lot of vcore & extreme cooling.

Great board for quads?
Hell no.

But how many other P965 mobos work well with quads...

markymoo

Aug 24, 2006
@n7 - You have the T2R. That really is an awesome board! I am going to change to the T2RS that will improve things.

Ryan Norton

Dec 8, 2005
I think the Firewire chip on my P5B Deluxe has gone bad.

I can't connect any Firewire devices to my PC using either the motherboard's back I/O panel Firewire port or through the Firewire pin header. I've tried the header connected to both my case's front Firewire port AND the included PCI bracket w/ one Firewire port, because at first I thought the problem was the case's ports. Interestingly enough, the ports do carry power, just no data, since when I connected my 20GB clickwheel black and white Ipod, it starts charging, but Windows doesn't recognize that any device is connected. However, the Firewire port on my Audigy 2 sound card does work normally.

I haven't been able to do much to troubleshoot, because there is no ASUS driver for Firewire I've ever found. Also, the only Firewire device I have is the above-mentioned Ipod, although I'm trying to borrow a Firewire external HD for testing. The Ipod is however recognized via Firewire on my Macbook.

I reformatted my boot drive (Raptor) and reinstalled XP recently, but Firewire never worked before anyway.

I really have no idea what else to do. Maybe remove the IEEE1394 controller from device manager and let it be redetected?

Operating system: XP Pro SP2
System specs: E6400, 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 Patriot DDR2-800, ASUS P5B Deluxe BIOS 1226, EVGA 7900GTX, SB Audigy 2, 74GB WD Raptor, 250GB 7200.10 Seagate SATA, Corsair HX620, Lian-Li PC-A05B case