*** Official ASUS P5B / P5B Deluxe Thread ***

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fishy007

Sep 11, 2006
Originally posted by: spiderhole
Originally posted by: KvT
audigy 2zs...

I'd steer clear of the asus p5b series. Too many folks having critical issues with these cards. the dq6 sounds good

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm in the midst of builing a machine with almost the same parts (p5b dlx, e6600, audigy2z).

Also, can anyone recommend what would be the best pci slot to run the Audigy card if my only other device is my pci-e vidcard (xfx 7950gt xtreme). How does the onboard audio compare to the Audigy?

Thanks,
M

Personally I haven't had any trouble with the P5B. The issues seem to be hit or miss. That being said, I'm not 100% sure the board is unleashing the proper power of the CPU and components. I don't know if that's because of the controller chip (i965) or the board itself though.
My Pentium 640 ran almost as fast. The only place I've seen a major difference is when ripping DVDs.

As for the slot for the Audigy, I had it in the 3rd slot (the bottom one), but it was sharing an IRQ with....something. I moved it up to the first slot to give it its own IRQ.

KvT

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: spiderhole
audigy 2zs...

I'd steer clear of the asus p5b series. Too many folks having critical issues with these cards. the dq6 sounds good

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm in the midst of builing a machine with almost the same parts (p5b dlx, e6600, audigy2z).

Also, can anyone recommend what would be the best pci slot to run the Audigy card if my only other device is my pci-e vidcard (xfx 7950gt xtreme). How does the onboard audio compare to the Audigy?

Thanks,
M

well, read this thread from the first page. if you are in doubt this one will make you decide easier maybe. I personally have issues with the mobo and the ocz ram. (remember I have the vanilla version). also, some guys reported computer crashes (BSOD) while using the soundmax onboard drivers on their P5B deluxe. so prob it's best to disable onboard sound from bios if your plan to use an audigy pci card anyway. these cards have problems with posting for the first time. (most of them need an updated bios). all in all, they don't have a clean background.
this is a link to a core 2 duo ready mobos review. (it has a good perspective but htere are more reviews like this)
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=c2dmb&page=2

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
I don't think there is ANY motherboards with a clean background. All of them have BIOS updates to fix some sort of problem.

As for the onboard sound, it needs a bit of polish. I hear static in the background when I'm on desktop, while moving my mouse around. Don't tell me it's too loud, cause I have the volume below the lowest hash mark. The driver update I got only seemed to fix the crackling I had. When I get the chance, I will get a sound card.

Sound card wise, I don't think you will have much problem if you assign its own IRQ as stated above.

I am darn happy with my P5B Deluxe. It OC's well, can now support dual graphics cards and proven pretty stable (atleast for me :D ).

andytaro

Aug 28, 2006
Hi Guyzz,
I got managed P5b Dlx to work in SLI mode. (yes SLI) I had to use hacked driver to get SLI working. I use evga 7900GT(500/1700) and XFX 7900GT(470/1400) and OCed both cards to 540/1600.
I have my E6400 Oced to 3.4Ghz (1.4vcore). When I run 3Dmark06, I only get 6200 !!! Waaaaay tooo low for 7900GT SLI cards. (if i don't Oc vid cards, I get 5990)
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=515403
When I run 3dmark with a single vid card, I get 5600.( vcard OCed to 540/1600).
Strange thing is that when I run battlefield 2 in Sli, I only get 60FPS and lags compared to 80-90FPS without lag in sigle 7900GT mode.
Also AOEIII FPS drops in half when I use SLI.
I don't have a SLI bridge so this maybe impacting my score as well as the 2nd PCi-e is only x4 (I explicityly specifed to run in x4 mode in bios).

Anyone doing crossfire with the latest bios? Could you post your experience with crossfire on p5b Dlx?

I use antec smartpower 500W which is sufficient for 2 7900GT.

imported_vertex

Sep 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Fishy007
These boards have had problems with the high speed OCZ modules. Switching to Corsair or Kingston would probably solve the issues.

Does anyone have OCZ sticks running on P5B?

Tomorrow I'll get my mobo and I've already bought OCZ PC2 6400 2x1GB Dual Channel Platinum revision 2.

Should I Change Sticks (option is G.E.I.L. DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit (GX22GB6400UDC))

or

Should I change Mobo?

Thx!

Charlie50

Sep 26, 2006
I've just setup a P5B DL with Cosair 2G/PC2-6400C4. Its running fine now. I did flash with the latest 6.14 Bios soon after assembling the board. Easily OC to 3G/9X/333 (at 1:1).

My problem was with the AI Suite which I just wanted to try out. Don't think I'll use it but since it's upplied I thought I'll see what it would do. Problem: Error message comes up - Assertion failed.....etc. etc...CpuUsage.cpp. It was looking for this file a few directories below Administrator. But my system does not have an "Administrator" directory. After closing this error message window, a smaller window with the message "abnormal program termination" appears. If you close this by clicking on X, the program closes down. If I just click anywhere else on the screen beside it, this window disappears and I'm into AI Suite - only problem is that the monitoring displays (speed, usage, voltages, etc) do not appear. The AI NOS function worked - I was able to change the FSB but it had to reboot. I might as well have used the Bios Screens.

Anyone have this problem with AI suite? I tried both the version on the CD and on the Asus website.

KvT

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: vertex
These boards have had problems with the high speed OCZ modules. Switching to Corsair or Kingston would probably solve the issues.

Tomorrow I'll get my mobo and I've already bought OCZ PC2 6400 2x1GB Dual Channel Platinum revision 2.

Should I Change Sticks (option is G.E.I.L. DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit (GX22GB6400UDC))

or

Should I change Mobo?

Thx!

you can try them out. it can't hurt...
i'm also curious to see if there's anyone else using that setup...
I use P5B and ocz 6400 but I can't tell you about stability as I'm just testing it. I need a couple of days to run that comp on light and heavy load.

NewtypeX

Sep 26, 2006
I'm having the same problem as many of you have had getting the P5B to POST. Same story...the board is powered, all of the fans are running, the vid card's fan is running and the onboard Asus logo lights up red; however, I get no video to even get into the BIOS and update it, nor do I hear any beeps.

These are the components:

E6400 CPU
1x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 RAM
Geforce 7600GT Vid card
Antec 450W PSU

I tried testing with a one-year-old LGA775 P4 CPU, DDR2 533 RAM, a 6600GT video card and a different 500W power supply...to no avail. All I could ever get was a black screen (as the graphics card gets absolutely no signal) and a bunch of whirring fans. I did connect the 4-pin ATX connector so that's not the issue. I tried clearing the CMOS and I even tested it outside of the case to make sure I had no grounding issues and still no go.

I figure it's the board since all of the old parts which are working fine on my one-year-old rig right this minute would not work on the P5B. RMA'd the board yesterday and hopefully will get a replacement back later this week. I'll keep you guys posted.

This is the first time I've had a problem with an ASUS board (4th build with them) but apparently this isn't an isolated issue. :(

Jun 13, 2006
Strikez,

Wow, thanks for reminding me to set the Vcore. My system OC'ed @ 3 ghz was running idle about 51C and 55 to 56C at load...I set the vcore in the bios to 1.25 and man, my system is running about 45 C at LOAD....this setting make a 10 degree difference. I had seen this suggested before because of the reason you stated but I had forgotten about it...best tip in the forums for the P5B Dex wifi :) I'm gonna OC a little higher since I'm running much cooler now.

Originally posted by: Strikez
Originally posted by: darkryft
Just tried some additional settings and voltages, using this build:

Core 2 Duo E6700 Retail
Corsair XMS2 PC-8500 2GB
Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP Bios Verison 0614
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fata1ty
2x Western Digital 150GB Raptors in RAID 0 on ICH8R controller
Plextor PA-716A DVD-Writer on JMicro ATA controller
ATI Radeon x1900 XTX
Windows XP x64 Edition

I still cannot pass this damn BSOD whenever I so much a tweak the FSB a single Mhz:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Does anyone....anyone have an idea why the FSB is causing Windows to blow up?

Hi Darkryft, the pins he is refering to are the power supply 8 pin socket located near the cpu socket, it has a small black plastic tab covering 4 of the holes you can remove the plastic tab and place the 8 pin connector or 2 for 4 pin connector from your power supply into the holes.

One thing I noticed with the ram is that my system when it boots only shows it as pc 6400 ram, I thought it would say PC 8500, minor issue as it is running at 1066 anyway in the bios.

Another thing I noticed is that this board when you overclock it and you dont set a vcore voltage the bios chooses to run it higher then what is needed on my board, this is probably why I see people complaing about high temps set your own Voltage as low as you can. I have my E6600 runing on 1.25 volts @ 46 celcius. Bus speed 426. Before I manually set it the cpu temp was running 53 celcius and hitting 62 playing games. I havent tried raising the FSB past 426 as I only have the boxed heat sink and fan. Hope this helps some Good luck.

P5B Deluxe (Bus speed 426)
BIO ver 614
E6600 retail (Idle Temp 46 celcius load approx 52 celcius)
Corsair XMS2 PC-8500 2GB (5-5-5-15) @ 1066 mhz
36 gig SATA western digital HD 10000rpm
xfx 7900 gs ( This card O/C very well without big jumps in temp core clock speed 630 mhz memory clock 830, temp 55 celcius)
Sound blaster Audigy

imported_vertex

Sep 26, 2006

you can try them out. it can't hurt...
i'm also curious to see if there's anyone else using that setup...
I use P5B and ocz 6400 but I can't tell you about stability as I'm just testing it. I need a couple of days to run that comp on light and heavy load.

Thanks for your comments, I have 0614 and 07006 beta BIOS to flash tomorrow, let's see.

;-)

KvT

Sep 24, 2006
I took my comp back from the repair shop where they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Still I get random crashes to BSOD whenever I run a game for a while. The temps on the video card never exceed 65 degrees and the cpu under load goes to 45. The PSU has enough power and Amps on the 12V rail. It also has protection for power fluctuations so the PSU should not be the source of the problem. I've also tried to use an Audigy 2 sound card and disable onboard sound to eliminate this variable. To no avail. I'll run memtest86 tonight to check for any errors but I highly doubt a faulty ram (I've changed the memory sticks once). Everything runs at stock speeds. In desktop it's stable but that just doesn't cut it for me.
So far this computer has been a waste of money and now the retail shop doesn't acknowledge it's a hardware failure hence they don't want to replace anything. They say they can't duplicate the crashes i get when they run 3dmark tests.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555
The board doesn't let me put my ram to the right settings :( It keeps knocking up the memory timings to 5-3-3-15 instead of 3-3-3-12 like how it should be. I hope their new bios will make the board really good, maybe they will add in memory timings to their bios too. I idle at 42C and load at 55C with the stock intel hsf. Is that normal?

Did you set the timings manually and use the voltage specified by your memory manufacturer?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555
The board doesn't let me put my ram to the right settings :( It keeps knocking up the memory timings to 5-3-3-15 instead of 3-3-3-12 like how it should be. I hope their new bios will make the board really good, maybe they will add in memory timings to their bios too. I idle at 42C and load at 55C with the stock intel hsf. Is that normal?

Did you set the timings manually and use the voltage specified by your memory manufacturer?

Yeah, you gotta have stuff on manual and turn off the "auto" crap dude.

Kanis

Sep 27, 2006
Is it possible to disable the PEG Link Mode on the vanilla P5B? From other posts, it appears the option may be in the P5B-Deluxe, but I can't find it in the vanilla P5B BIOS. The reason I ask is because I have a factory overclocked 7900GT and whenever I play a graphic intense game (or test optimal settings via coolbits), the graphics begin to "tear" and the system will lockup pretty quickly.

I originally thought the issue was a motherboard/memory compatibility issue. I had OCZ memory and RMA'd it for Corsair TWIN2 that other posters reported success with. However, I'm experiencing the exact same behavior now that I have the Corsair memory in. Now, I'm wondering if this PEG Link Mode may have something to do with it, as it only occurs in graphic intense operations (or monkeying with the video card clocks). As long as I'm surfing the web or typing up documents, it works just fine. I'm not overclocking anything, so it's all the basic settings in the BIOS for me. :(

Is another updated P5B BIOS expected anytime soon?

Thanks for your help!

Kanis

---------------------
Asus P5B @ 266FSB
E6400
Corsair XMS2-6400 (DDR2-800, 5-5-5-12, 1.9V)
MSI Geforce 7900GT (500/1530)

LightSide

Sep 27, 2006
Hi, was hoping I could get some really basic help on the P5B Deluxe.

I?m in the process of building a new system and have just ordered a P5B Deluxe and 2GB of PC2 6400 Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB).

I was looking at the MB here: http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1295&modelmenu=1 and saw that there are four physical memory ?slots? on the motherboard. Two are colored yellow and two are colored back.

So I assumed that I?d put the two sticks of memory in to either both the yellow slots or in to both of the black slots? to me the color coding would indicate that type of placement.

Then I downloaded and was reading the a pdf of the manual for this MB (from here: http://support.asus.com/download/downlo...spx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B%20Deluxe.

On page 13 (2.4.1) where it talks about memory, it labels the inside yellow/black pair as DIMM A_1 and DIMM A_2 and calls them Channel A. It lists the outside yellow/black pair as DIMM B_1 and DIMM B_2 and calls them Channel B.

So should I load my two sticks of memory based on the color of the PCB (both sticks in yellow or both in black slots) or should I load my two sticks of memory in the same channel (both in the inside yellow/black or the outside yellow/black pair)?

Thanks a lot for any advice, this has me a bit confused.

Fishy007

Sep 11, 2006
Originally posted by: LightSide
Hi, was hoping I could get some really basic help on the P5B Deluxe.

I?m in the process of building a new system and have just ordered a P5B Deluxe and 2GB of PC2 6400 Corsair XMS2 (2 x 1GB).

I was looking at the MB here: http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1295&modelmenu=1 and saw that there are four physical memory ?slots? on the motherboard. Two are colored yellow and two are colored back.

So I assumed that I?d put the two sticks of memory in to either both the yellow slots or in to both of the black slots? to me the color coding would indicate that type of placement.

Then I downloaded and was reading the a pdf of the manual for this MB (from here: http://support.asus.com/download/downlo...spx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B%20Deluxe.

On page 13 (2.4.1) where it talks about memory, it labels the inside yellow/black pair as DIMM A_1 and DIMM A_2 and calls them Channel A. It lists the outside yellow/black pair as DIMM B_1 and DIMM B_2 and calls them Channel B.

So should I load my two sticks of memory based on the color of the PCB (both sticks in yellow or both in black slots) or should I load my two sticks of memory in the same channel (both in the inside yellow/black or the outside yellow/black pair)?

Thanks a lot for any advice, this has me a bit confused.

I believe you do it based on colour. From wha I remember the slots are:

Yellow-Black Yellow-Black
A B

If you only have 2 sticks, you want one in each yellow or one in each black. One in channel A and one in Channel B.

Charlie50

Sep 26, 2006
Hi
Yeah - the manual was a bit confusing because they didn't explain it well enough. For dual channel, you'll be using A1+B1 or A2+B2. Which means - use the two yellow slots together or the 2 black slots together. I've got the P5B DL too.

Good Luck.

Strikez

Sep 2, 2006
Originally posted by: BigTwin
Strikez,

Wow, thanks for reminding me to set the Vcore. My system OC'ed @ 3 ghz was running idle about 51C and 55 to 56C at load...I set the vcore in the bios to 1.25 and man, my system is running about 45 C at LOAD....this setting make a 10 degree difference. I had seen this suggested before because of the reason you stated but I had forgotten about it...best tip in the forums for the P5B Dex wifi :) I'm gonna OC a little higher since I'm running much cooler now.

Originally posted by: Strikez
Originally posted by: darkryft
Just tried some additional settings and voltages, using this build:

Core 2 Duo E6700 Retail
Corsair XMS2 PC-8500 2GB
Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi AP Bios Verison 0614
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fata1ty
2x Western Digital 150GB Raptors in RAID 0 on ICH8R controller
Plextor PA-716A DVD-Writer on JMicro ATA controller
ATI Radeon x1900 XTX
Windows XP x64 Edition

I still cannot pass this damn BSOD whenever I so much a tweak the FSB a single Mhz:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Does anyone....anyone have an idea why the FSB is causing Windows to blow up?

Hi Darkryft, the pins he is refering to are the power supply 8 pin socket located near the cpu socket, it has a small black plastic tab covering 4 of the holes you can remove the plastic tab and place the 8 pin connector or 2 for 4 pin connector from your power supply into the holes.

One thing I noticed with the ram is that my system when it boots only shows it as pc 6400 ram, I thought it would say PC 8500, minor issue as it is running at 1066 anyway in the bios.

Another thing I noticed is that this board when you overclock it and you dont set a vcore voltage the bios chooses to run it higher then what is needed on my board, this is probably why I see people complaing about high temps set your own Voltage as low as you can. I have my E6600 runing on 1.25 volts @ 46 celcius. Bus speed 426. Before I manually set it the cpu temp was running 53 celcius and hitting 62 playing games. I havent tried raising the FSB past 426 as I only have the boxed heat sink and fan. Hope this helps some Good luck.

P5B Deluxe (Bus speed 426)
BIO ver 614
E6600 retail (Idle Temp 46 celcius load approx 52 celcius)
Corsair XMS2 PC-8500 2GB (5-5-5-15) @ 1066 mhz
36 gig SATA western digital HD 10000rpm
xfx 7900 gs ( This card O/C very well without big jumps in temp core clock speed 630 mhz memory clock 830, temp 55 celcius)
Sound blaster Audigy

Good to see that worked for you. For your info I upgraded to the beta bios 706 and no problems have presented them selves and every thing running smooth. I usually play games and noticed Higher FPS then before but running mark 3d 2006 no difference in score.

Strikez

Sep 2, 2006
What Bios ver are you running. I noticed you have a EN7950GX2/2PHT/1G GeForce PCI-E and OCZ ram. I would suggest you flash to the beta bios on the Asus website as it mentions 7950x2 cards and if I recall OCZ ram. This may solve your problem. I find using the ALT F2 on post to flash to the new bios easiest. Dont forget to put the new bios on a clean floppy disk though.

KvT

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Kanis
Is it possible to disable the PEG Link Mode on the vanilla P5B? From other posts, it appears the option may be in the P5B-Deluxe, but I can't find it in the vanilla P5B BIOS. The reason I ask is because I have a factory overclocked 7900GT and whenever I play a graphic intense game (or test optimal settings via coolbits), the graphics begin to "tear" and the system will lockup pretty quickly.

I originally thought the issue was a motherboard/memory compatibility issue. I had OCZ memory and RMA'd it for Corsair TWIN2 that other posters reported success with. However, I'm experiencing the exact same behavior now that I have the Corsair memory in. Now, I'm wondering if this PEG Link Mode may have something to do with it, as it only occurs in graphic intense operations (or monkeying with the video card clocks). As long as I'm surfing the web or typing up documents, it works just fine. I'm not overclocking anything, so it's all the basic settings in the BIOS for me. :(

Is another updated P5B BIOS expected anytime soon?

Thanks for your help!

Kanis

---------------------
Asus P5B @ 266FSB
E6400
Corsair XMS2-6400 (DDR2-800, 5-5-5-12, 1.9V)
MSI Geforce 7900GT (500/1530)

I get the same crap in games. Comp locks up (BSOD). If you find any solutions I would very interested to see what did the trick for you. tkx and good luck.

@strikez. If you're reffering to my rig all I can say is that i've updates the mobo (P5B vanilla) to the lastest bios available on the asus website, which is 0509. I don't think the P5B deluxe bios works on the vanilla version. but tkx anyway

Pappa60

Sep 27, 2006
I'm using OCZ PC2 6400 2x1GB Dual Channel Platinum chips. They are work OK for me now. I had some trouble with their initial setup but I manually changes timings and now have a decent OC with stock cooler.

Originally posted by: vertex

or

Should I change Mobo?

Thx!

Tomahawk903

Sep 24, 2006
The only way I got the P5B board to post is this.. I took it out of the case, reinstalled it. 2. took the battery out of the motherboard, reinstalled it. 3. Jumped the pins on cmos jumpers to clear cmos on the motherboard, and got to post on the screen. I can not put my finger on which worked but it worked for me.