*** Official ASUS P4C800/Deluxe (875P) Thread ***

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: computer
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Thats Ok, a gig will do me fine for now, at least I can run the PQI at 2,2,2,5. Thanks

I am running an ASUS NCCH-DL dual Xeon EMT64 rig right now. With a utility called Tw865 you can enable performance mode on all 4 sticks BTW.
Oh. This is the P4C800 thread. ;) Do you know if that utility will work with this mobo? Are you SURE it's enabled, did you check it with CPUz? On this mobo, it still shows enabled in the BIOS, but it shows disabled in CPUz, and it's known that using 4 sticks disables it, so CPUz is not incorrect.

I didnt know about the utility until I had sold off my P4C so I havent tried it on that, but YES CPUZ shows it enabled after you apply it with the utility. The NCCH-DL uses the 875P chipset by the way.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Thanks for the info. If anyone wants it, you can get it here: http://www.cpuid.org/download/Tw865.zip . I find it a bit strange though there's no mention of it on their home page. Makes me wonder if they removed it because it caused problems or maybe because it didn't work properly.

From the info I could find on it, it's supposed to work on 865/875/848 chipsets. I ran it, and it ran ok but I didn't try to change anything yet....didn't need to. But when I try another two sticks of memory (if Geil will match them) I'll try it for PAT.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: ScottFern
What bios would you guys recommend for stability and performance? I am running Rev 1006. I believe its one of the first. I know I shouldnt fix it if it ain't broken, but I just really wanted to know if I could get anything else out of this mobo performance wise.

Also, what are your experiences with AsusProbe and the bios temperature readout. They are completely different. Which is the one to trust?

I just got this board to replace an Abit IC7-G I finally gave up on. The Rev. 2 board I got from Newegg had BIOS 1014 installed. I flashed to BIOS 1019 before I did anything else. This BIOS is very stable so far, as is the board itself. I OCed to 228FSB 1:1 CL2.5-3-3-6 with stock Intel HSF and ran Prime95 Torture Test for over 24 hours without error. CPU temps never went over 45C (Asus PC Probe). Idle in Windows is 27C. Idle in BIOS is 33C. I used Arctic Silver5 per mfg instructions and temps improved over the first week or so to these levels.

I don't have any experience with any other BIOS for this board.

The reason for your disparate temps between BIOS and Windows is, the CPU is never idle in BIOS so CPU temperature is higher in BIOS than at "idle" under Windows (although the CPU is never truly idle in Windows either).

So both temps are accurate (or as accurate as your monitoring software can be) because the temperature readings are from two different CPU states.

The Abit board had a history of reporting temps ~10F higher than actual. I've read the Asus board has a history of reporting temps ~10F lower than actual. But what's important is establishing a baseline temp you trust as accurate for your set up. It is nice not to see that 60C reading I used to see under load with the Abit board anymore.

I have an extreme air cooling set up but I'm waiting to install it and OC higher because this board is so new. I don't want to FUBAR the warranty just yet. But I won't be able to resist for long. And this board, unlike the Abit board, has the Intel CPU retention mechanism attached to the board with screws and nuts as well as a backplate. The Abit board used cheap push pins and no backplate.

I'm very happy with this P4C800E Deluxe so far. Easy to install and set up. Very stable. Designed and built well. A huge improvement over the Abit IC7-G IMO.

rickyman

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2004
i want to know if TCCD ram works on this P4c800-e board with at least like 550-600+ fsb on ram or cpu.

Xeon

Sep 14, 2003
Wow, the list is still here.

I'm looking to build a new system so I guess I better go find the forum for the new 925XE architecture.

*Waves to all the Old timers*

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Xeon
Wow, the list is still here.

I'm looking to build a new system so I guess I better go find the forum for the new 925XE architecture.

*Waves to all the Old timers*
Hey where ya been Michael? :shocked:

uOpt

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2004
The only problem I ever had with this board was that it sometimes detects failed overclocking - although I don't overclock anything.

I have a 2.8C and 2x 512 MB PC3200 ECC on it.

Did anybody have a similar problem? Is one of the BIOS updates doing anything about it?

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MartinCracauer
The only problem I ever had with this board was that it sometimes detects failed overclocking - although I don't overclock anything.

Did anybody have a similar problem? Is one of the BIOS updates doing anything about it?
Different BIOS versions won't fix that. That's another bug with this mobo. It happens to me all the time, but only when the PC is unplugged, then plugged back in! So if yours is like mine, sounds like you are having power failures of which you are unaware. Unless of course you KNOW about any power failures or if you are purposely cutting power to it.

uOpt

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2004
Oh, yeah that fits. It does that after I hard disconnect power when fiddling with it.

I now have a reliable UPS in front of it so I won't have unexpected non-starters.

Still, that's embarrasing. Is that an Asus, BIOS or chipset bug?

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Still, that's embarrasing. Is that an Asus, BIOS or chipset bug?
I don't think it's any of them alone, but a combo of all three (and maybe more)--since I know all Asus mobo's don't do this, and I know all 875 chipsets don't do this, plus all its BIOS versions still do it. I think it's just a bug of all 3 of them, just an odd characteristic of this mobo.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: micnn
Originally posted by: Chad
Anyone else try the 1021 Final BIOS? I'm loving it.

what would be the benefit? care to elaborate?
I tried asking that twice, he won't answer. :frown: I guess he's "left the building". ;)

AristoV300

Golden Member
May 29, 2004
The 1021 BIOS is only worth upgrading if you plan on using the 479 adapter. Otherwise the 1019 is fine, techinically nothing important as changed since 1018.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: AristoV300
The 1021 BIOS is only worth upgrading if you plan on using the 479 adapter. Otherwise the 1019 is fine, techinically nothing important as changed since 1018.
Ok.........so what's a "479 adapter"? :confused:

Chode Messiah

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2005

why are you using ecc ram?

uOpt

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Chode Messiah
why are you using ecc ram?

Here is a copy and past of my usual answer.

Does anybody know whether using the 479 adapter leaves ECC functionality intact?

Is the Pentium-M even equipped to do ECC?

Here is my standard blurb on why ECC RAM can be important and the
lack of it can shred the contents of your harddrive:

It is true that the average error rate of RAM has been lowered
dramatically, and it has been lowered faster than the number of RAM
cells in a system has increased. So even though you may have 2
Gigabytes of RAM now you have less errors per year than you had with
64 Megabytes ten years ago.

But, the rate is not zero. And the bigger problem is RAM physically
going bad. You can easily have one of chips malfunction, or you can
get some dirt in the sockets or cause other problems that make your
RAM return something you didn't write into it.

Now, why is that so bad? Obviously you have random values and strings
in programs turning around and you can get wrong numbers of
calculations or you can get segfaults as a result of "bent" pointers.

But that's not the real issue. The real issue is that it can shred
the contents of your harddrive.

Why can it shred the contents of your harddrive?

Because the filesystem buffer cache can, and will, be affected. The
operating system uses a certain amount of RAM as cache for the
filesystem. That can be quite a lot. A home PC with 1024 MB RAM and
running Windows and Office has plenty of RAM to spare and operating
systems (Windows and Linux alike) use all the memory not used for the
application for cache of disk contents. Besides "harmless" caches of
readonly pages like for the application's code itself there is also a
write-back cache of filesystem contents.

The cache works by having a copy of a disk block and associated with
it a value that indicates where that block belongs.

Now, if you have bad memory, you might have one of these blocks
modified and the wrong data is eventually written to the disk.

That is the harmless case.

The harmful case is that the index that says where that blocks belongs
is damaged. If that happens the right blocks gets written to the
wrong place on the disk.

So you can instantly ruin (corrupt with random data) any file on the
filesystem. Even files you haven't even looked at since the PC is up.
Any file.

And it gets worse. If the new faulty location overwrites a directory
entry, then you can lose any number of files in one snap. Or if it
its any allocation table, you end up with totally wrong blocks in some
files. Or you can overwrite an allocation table holding blocks for a
directory. Or you can kill the superblock or other critical
information that makes you unable to mount the filesystem at all.

Note that this is true even for filesystems that don't cache
directories and allocation tables, caching only file contents. It is
a file content cache block that is written over a directory or
allocation table. The victim of mishap, the new target block,
doesn't have to be in the cache to become a victim.

So this is why I have ECC RAM.

For me as a software developer ECC RAM is also a question of
necessary paranoia. If I get a segfault in my programs I need to be
absolutely sure that it is caused by my application or by my kernel
changes. I need to be absolutely sure it is not hardware. It would
truly suck to spend weeks to track down a memory corruption that turns
out to be a hardware problem.