*** Official ASUS M2N-E Thread ***

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Gautama2
So NO ONE has had success overclocking on this? Or is everyone only posting their problems here, and this only represents a small percentage of ASUS m2n-e owners?

Inspire was able to get his cpu to around 2.8GHZ, but the RAM needs more volts to keep up with the cpu, so that's what the problem with this motherboard is, the ram voltage is just too low.

sicknasty

Aug 16, 2006
I'm not sure on the percentages for either the boot issue or overclocking, but I have seen people with this motherboard who do not have these problems.

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006
I just passed 13h of dual instances of SP2004 Blend with AVG full system scan running in the background (for 12 of those 13 hours - an accident, really...) @ 2.7 GHz. I'll let you guys know if it fails. I'm still miffed about the whole vDIMM issue, but I'm not going to let it keep me from using my computer.

sicknasty

Aug 16, 2006
Ok I've booted at 250 FSB with 1.425 Vcore volts, 2.0 v for the RAM, but it's running at DDR2 500 right now. Is there a way to run my memory faster without raising it to a 533 divider?

Now I've booted at 260 FSB with 1.375 volts. Clearly I'm not having a CPU issue. I can only boot with these higher FSB speeds if the memory divider is at 400. Going to try and work on fixing this somehow. If I'm wasting my time let me know.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
Originally posted by: mitaiwan82
Originally posted by: inspire
That's right, this board's features supposedly include 15-step vDIMM settings (1.80v-2.50v in 0.05v increments), but, in reality, the board only has 4 (1.80v, 1.85v, 1.90v, 1.95v).

hmm that does seem pretty shady - I will definitely submit a technical inquiry once I get the board and set it all up. The M2N-SLI Deluxe board has the same description, but I'm wondering if it actually has the 15-step voltage adjustments implemented...
It says .0125 increments doesn't it? That would make it a 15 step process.

sicknasty

Aug 16, 2006
New 0307 BIOS just came out for SLI Deluxe, released the 16th but couldn't get them until now for some reason. M2N-E have one coming soon perhaps?

Does anyone know how to read release notes?

Cali

Jul 18, 2006
I was wondering if anyone is having any problems putting their comp. in STANBY.

When i put mine in stanby it wont wake up. The computer is still running but windows wont start back up. I still am running the stock bios version 103. I am going to upgrade it today. Im hoping that will fix it

mitaiwan82

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Gautama2
302 bios just released, wonder if this fixes anything?
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I downloaded and flashed this BIOS (Used a floppy drive...dunno if EZ flash will work) after building my box last night....everything seems stable so far.

Originally posted by: acegazda
Originally posted by: mitaiwan82
Originally posted by: inspire
That's right, this board's features supposedly include 15-step vDIMM settings (1.80v-2.50v in 0.05v increments), but, in reality, the board only has 4 (1.80v, 1.85v, 1.90v, 1.95v).

hmm that does seem pretty shady - I will definitely submit a technical inquiry once I get the board and set it all up. The M2N-SLI Deluxe board has the same description, but I'm wondering if it actually has the 15-step voltage adjustments implemented...
It says .0125 increments doesn't it? That would make it a 15 step process.

When I got this board in yesterday, I was looking through the manual and found a revised specification page within it. It states that the vDimm has only a 4-step voltage control. :frown:

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Do I have to use a floppy to flash, or can i use a cd? Since you know... i dont have a floppy drive...

Cali

Jul 18, 2006
I dont think you can from a CD(but i have no proof). I am going to go buy a flashdrvie so i can update bios that way

kenmasters

Aug 19, 2006
Yeah, I checked the website. On the Features page(the first page you see) it does list 15 step vdimm control. But if you dig deeper, they list 4 step voltage control.

This sucks, we were robbed. Also, I just got the 302 BIOS this morning and loaded it. thankfully, I have the corsair XMS2 800MHz memory. Everything seems to be okay for now

Cali

Jul 18, 2006
I just updated the bios to 302 and i am still getting problems when i try to boot up. Some times it loads and other times it dosnt. It really only happens when i overcock.

I dont really know how to manually overclock so i put it on the "AI Overclock" and that gives me problems.

Does anyone get problems when trying to boot up?

Gray Fox

Aug 19, 2006
You can flash it using the Asus update tool included on the mobo cdrom.

You have to get the file from the "File Map" as opposed to the actual "Bios" tab on the M2N-E downloads page. It was released yesterday, they probably still have to update the page fully. Chances are they are going to release a revised compatible memory list perhaps, as the notes for the release say it addressed memory problems.

opmike

Jun 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Cali
I just updated the bios to 302 and i am still getting problems when i try to boot up. Some times it loads and other times it dosnt. It really only happens when i overcock.

I dont really know how to manually overclock so i put it on the "AI Overclock" and that gives me problems.

When you go into the BIOS, try to gradually increase the HTT and see how far you can get without it hanging on reboot. We have the same CPU, and mine would hang on anything past 220...

scumlash

Aug 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Cali

Yeah I had no luck whatsoever with the 'AI Overclock' but manual o/cing went quite well, apart from the inability to soft boot. Still I cannot overclock my video card and am no closer to knowing if its a problem with my card or the mobo. I'll just use it as is for now and look for a different board down the track, maybe a dfi.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
MSI k9n platinum, maybe the least problems out of am2 boards... the biostar is supposed to be good as well.

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006
Originally posted by: sicknasty
Ok I've booted at 250 FSB with 1.425 Vcore volts, 2.0 v for the RAM, but it's running at DDR2 500 right now. Is there a way to run my memory faster without raising it to a 533 divider?

Now I've booted at 260 FSB with 1.375 volts. Clearly I'm not having a CPU issue. I can only boot with these higher FSB speeds if the memory divider is at 400. Going to try and work on fixing this somehow. If I'm wasting my time let me know.

You're wasting your time. I can't hit a non-trivial OC without dropping my memory to DDR400. If you want your memory to go faster, drop your cpu multiplier and raise your HTT to compensate.

Unless 0302 is significantly different from the beta version, it won't fix anything that I've been having problems with (maybe if you're lucky it will fix the soft reboot issue (I only have a soft reboot issue - no soft boot issues anymore....)).

I usually flash the BIOS with a flash drive.

FYI - I had some issues tweaking with my software, so I clocked back to 2.6 GHz just to be safe. Still no problems. I may go back up to 2.7; we'll just have to see.... Oh! I still haven't received a call back from Asus tech Support (Brent). I'll be calling him back this evening if I get the chance and can remember...