*** Official ASUS M2N-E Thread ***

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ephebus

Feb 27, 2007
Originally posted by: geokilla
Maybe it's auto locking?

I find that very unlikely, but only testing will show.

Can't anybody please check the value of the PCI bus with ClockGen after raising the CPU clock, as I asked above? Even a small increase will do, as the PCI clock (if unlocked) will raise proportionally from its default value of 33.33 MHz.

morganzion

Nov 22, 2006
clogen is not a reference, by default the pci is syncrinized with the pci-express bus ( 100mhz) so, in tyhe bios, just fix the freq to 100 to be locked

but, i want to enable bitlocker in vista x64 but i don't know if this motherboard can be compatible ?
how to make this m2n-e compatible ?

Ephebus

Feb 27, 2007
Originally posted by: morganzion
clogen is not a reference, by default the pci is syncrinized with the pci-express bus ( 100mhz) so, in tyhe bios, just fix the freq to 100 to be locked

The PCI clock is, in the vast majority of cases, synchronized with the CPU base clock. In the case of the M2N-E, the manual clearly states that. Quoting myself from a previous post:

"Manual says (on page 4-20): CPU Frequency: indicates the frequency sent by the clock generator to the system bus and PCI bus."

ClockGen will read and show the current/actual values of all clocks from the PLL chip on the motherboard. A PLL (Phase-Locked Loop) is an electronic circuit which, on motherboards, is responsible for generating/dividing/multiplying all clocks necessary for the system's operation.

Since your signature says your motherboard uses the nForce 570 SLI chipset, it can't possibly be an M2N-E, as the latter uses the nForce 570 Ultra, doesn't have SLI and can't lock neither the PCI nor the PCI-E bus, at least according to the information in the BIOS configuration section of the manual (which is also often unreliable).

Anyway, I'd be very interested to know about your motherboard model too (whichever it is), so maybe you could also do the test for me - raise your CPU frequency a little, set the PCI-E clock to 100 and get me the reading of the PCI clock from ClockGen.

morganzion

Nov 22, 2006
"The PCI clock is, in the vast majority of cases, synchronized with the CPU base clock." no, it is not because my cpu is at 1800@2826 mhz so, immagine a pci bus a 66 mhz instread of 33 mhz ^^

???? what about wista bitlocker with this board ??????

Ephebus

Feb 27, 2007
"The PCI clock is, in the vast majority of cases, synchronized with the CPU base clock." no, it is not because my cpu is at 1800@2826 mhz so, immagine a pci bus a 66 mhz instread of 33 mhz ^^

Man, you can't even get the name of your motherboard model right, much less elaborate on this subject. If your PCI clock does remain locked even with your 57% overclock, of course it's because your mobo gets this clock from the PCI-E clock or even keeps it always locked, as geokilla suggested before. My statement about the PCI clock deriving from the CPU clock still holds true in most other cases.

Now, if you want your future posts here to have any credibility whatsoever, please tell us exactly what is the model of your mobo (because as I said, if its chipset is an nForce 570 SLI it surely isn't an M2N-E), and also post a screenshot of the clock readings from ClockGen.

johnno

Jan 20, 2007
CPU = 2568.51
FSB = 285.39
RAM = 367.01
PCIE = 100.00
PCI = 33.34

ok? 100% Stable. Tested with Orthos etc.

Ephebus

Feb 27, 2007
Originally posted by: johnno
CPU = 2568.51
FSB = 285.39
RAM = 367.01
PCIE = 100.00
PCI = 33.34

ok? 100% Stable. Tested with Orthos etc.

Great, johnno! That's all I needed to know. Thanks a lot!

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
Ok so I didn't read this thread/forum before I bought all the parts for my new computer, but I wound up with an M2N-E and I'm having some problems. I know I'm a n00b to the forum but I read through the first 5 pages of the thread and theres just so much. Hopefully someone who's been around for a while can give me some quick answers. Everyone here seems very nice and helpful.

So here are my pertinent specs:
Asus M2N-E
CORSAIR XMS2 (2.1V)
AMD 4400+ X2 Brisbane
Antech NeoHE 550 (no power problems w. asus board)

My problem was that a week after my XP Pro/Ubuntu installation where I had no problems at all, I come back one day, the computer had rebooted and GRUB was giving me an error. Was able to get into XP after a few reboots to get important files. Thought it was a HD problem, RMA'd it to newegg. New HD, re-install goes great, again about a week later (to the day I think), come back and GRUB Error. Looked up the code 17 and said something like, Partition found but can't read File System. After a few reboots I'm able to boot to XP, CHKDSK runs and says I have a corrupted MFT (this happened the 1st time too I think).

So I finally got clued in about this Memory voltage problem and now I'm on my 3rd install of XP but this time I set vDIMM to 1.9v in the BIOS. Running well for 2.5 days now, hopefully I won't come back to another corrupt MFT.

So my question is...do you think the voltage incompatibility was giving me my corrupt MFT and will my setting it to 1.9v in BIOS solve this? I have only changed the voltage, not the MHZ or anything like that, still at PC800. Do I need to? I am told all writes to MFT go through memory and if theres an error in there then it will be mirrored to the MFT. The memory isn't bad, I ran MEMTEST for 7 hours over night the other day and it passed 12 times no errors. I had originally thought it was a problem w/ my resizing the MFT through diskeeper, though I have done this successfully in the past. But I think it's more likely this voltage problem, needless I did not even install diskeeper this time.

Also, in BIOS timings are coming up as 5-5-5-something 2T. I have no idea what these do really besides the fact I know lower numbers are better. If the system proves stable at 1.9V, is it safe to move these down to 4-4-4-something 2T?

Sorry I know that was long. Thanks for any help!

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
Haha, thanks for the welcome.

1.95v? Really? I saw a Newegg Cust Review and he said 1.9v was the only way he could get it stable. I figured since its 2.1v RAM that it could do 1.95v easy but since the board is finicky I'd take his advice and go 1.9v, but I don't like the idea of under-clocking my RAM so I'll bump it back up to 1.95v when i get home.

Do I need to mess w/ timings or Mhz at all? They're all auto now, but I read a bunch of people bumping the RAM Mhz lower, I'm not sure of the numbers. Oh I also set it to DDR800 or DDR2 800 on a different screen in the BIOS. Also I'm running the latest 802 BIOS.

maxpower211

Jan 9, 2007
please set the voltage to 1.95V
welcome to the asus world....

With my 2V ram, when I set it to 1.9V or higher I get random BSODs. Only time I get a BSOD at 1.8V is when coming out of standby.

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
Should I under-clock my ram to 667 @ 1.9v instead of my current setting of 800 @ 1.9v

imported_Troc

Jan 8, 2007
Guys,

With thanks to all you who have read and answered my complains and questions on this mobo, I'm glad to announce that mys system is running smooth for 5 days now, and passed several tests. I just changed my memory modules and my troubles became history. I'm not into OC, so my bios settings are on auto/default. I also changed my video card, but I runned a bunch of tests for 3 days with the new memory before that.

The interesting facts about this solutions are: 1) My old memory modules (samsung 533mhz) required 1.8v, and the new ones require 1.9v; 2) My old memoy was tested a lot with memtest, and passed everytime with 0 faults; 3) My system was fine running XP x86 and the troubles started when I installed vista x64; 4) My new memory modules are not listed in asus qvl, but the m2n-e mobo is listed in corsair site as compatible with this mobo.

It's been so long since I've been strugling daily with this mobo problems, that I almost feel bored now... lol

Peace!

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
Troc - what memory are you using? Is it this (2.1v) or this (1.9v). Just checking. I have the stuff rated to 2.1v and underclocked to 667MHz 5-5-5-15 2T @ 1.9v, this ram is on Corsair's site as well. My system has been up since Sunday but last time I was fine for a week then dead, no problems before hand and I ran super pi a few times. This time now that I under-clocked the ram and voltage I think I'll be stable. MEMTEST ran 7 hours and ran Prime95 last night for 3 no errors. I'll keep everyone posted

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
Update:

I've been running great for a week now, and a little over 4.5 days straight at the moment. Think the under-clock/voltage fixed the problems, still not happy about it though!

Have people been able to run at 800 speeds and just under-clock the voltage?

Mase075

Feb 28, 2007
I haven't had a single reboot yet. I am running 2x512 Corsair XMS 1.9v at 1.95v in the bios and running at 800 speed. 0802 bios. Windows XP x64 Edition. I am not overclocked. Maybe I just lucked out?

Treason

Feb 22, 2007
this board is usually fine when u dun overclock though...its only when u overclock the headache begins..especially if ure rams need high voltages...if not ..ure stuck at underclocking the ram..like me..sad..though i might b doing something wrong..

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
How do I update the BIOS for this mobo. I have neither a floppy drive or a USB. I have an MP3 player. The BIOS version I currently have is 0103. I remember seeing on the Asus site stating that you can't flash the BIOS if it's prior to 0203. I'm asking this because CPU-Z can't see my second core. I have a similar problem to this guy. Link

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
can you use their asus update program thats on the asus download site? with that you just download the file, then point the program in windows to that file and it reboots and updates the bios for you.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
But updating BIOS in Windows is not recommended is it not? I've heard that many BIOSes got corrupted, forcing the people to RMA the bored.

johnno

Jan 20, 2007
Many folk do say update through Windows at your own risk!
But, I have updated the Bios three times through Windows, and have had no problems.
I don't think you can go back to an older bios by doing it through Windows.
I'm currently using the latest 802 Bios and a 28% overclock, everything rock solid.

jhpope

Mar 6, 2007
yikes! i never heard that.

I too have used the Windows update 2 or 3 times. If its not the recommended way to update bios...which is? Isn't there a way to update bios from the bios itself? Does my flash drive need to be a specific format to update it this way?

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
But I can't update with flash drive. The ASUS support site says that I can't flash the BIOS prior to 0203, and I have 0103.>.<. Plus, I don't have a floppy drive either. My flash drive is my MP3...lol.