*** Official ASUS M2N-E Thread ***

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hkenyon

Nov 10, 2006
I just downloaded version 0601 from the ASUS web site. They have extended the power options for DDR that should cover just about every menory chip on the market. I'm using crosshair and have adjusted the voltage to 2.1v We will now see if it makes any difference in attempting to install windows and drivers.

hkenyon

Nov 10, 2006
I used the Utility built in to the BIOS. It's simple and works well. You can even put the files on a flash drive USB if you like. I put mine on C: and everything worked to perfection.

imported_Bigwave

Nov 11, 2006
Originally posted by: hkenyon
I just downloaded version 0601 from the ASUS web site. They have extended the power options for DDR that should cover just about every menory chip on the market. I'm using crosshair and have adjusted the voltage to 2.1v We will now see if it makes any difference in attempting to install windows and drivers.

I can't seem to find a newer bios than 0402...can you please tell me where to get this new 0601 bios?

Thx

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Sometimes when I try to restart my computer when it is overclocked, it refuse to even boot. I have to leave it off for a bit then turn it on a minute later for it to turn on, then it's fine. It ran prime 95 stable for a few hours. Is this the soft reboot problem some people were complaining about?

pedropaulo

Nov 12, 2006
A new bios for the M2N-E ?
Please specify the location for download, i´m using the mems at lower voltage and therefore with lower performance

hkenyon

Nov 10, 2006
I went to ASUS global web site. I just checked at it's still there. My system is a lot more stable now, however I feel that I'm not out of the woods yet...It's getting close. I also installed the MS patch and the AMD drivers. I now have the fastest system I have ever used. I also have a acer 8216 laptop that I need to install the MS patch on, It's one of the best laptop's I've ever seen or used.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
This board isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I hit 2.6GHZ on my X2 and I'm pretty happy about that. There are still problems when it starts up, but as long as I don't need to restart my computer it won't be a problem.

hkenyon

Nov 10, 2006
I have a M2N32 WS Professional board with a AMD 4200 2 gig of DDR2 Menory. If I'm posting in the wrong place please accept my Apology. I did flash to 0601 and everything is working better.

Jedi Knight

Nov 14, 2006
Anybody go more 305 frequency? Now, I am using Sempron 2800+, I only go to 305 bus speed (1.6@2.440Ghz =8X305), RAM Corsair Value 667. When I set more 305, the system can not boot, alway have message "Load BIOS fail....", although I raise Vcore to maximum 1.56, setting RAM is 400, HTT multiplier is 3x. BIOS 0402

There are a guy can go to 375 bus speed with Sempron 2800+ http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=115706

I don't know how he go so far !

Now I am only overclock to 50% with my Sempron. Sad !

My friend use MSI K9N Ultra 2F can go 330 bus speed easily.

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
Damn, it looks like there could be an update coming for vdimm? M2N-E would rock after that.. I have this G.Skill-kit and it did run @ 920MHz with MSI K9N Ultra, but with M2N-E and 1.95V, there's no hope to overclock at all :|

By the way, does anyone else have the problem, when using 0402-BIOS that there's no opportunity to update BIOS from USB anymore (using EZ Flash)? There was the option in 0302-BIOS, but it was gone after updating to 0402.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I still have the mobo's original BIOS. My computer has been perfectly fine right now. =)

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
I read an article yesterday that says they successfully put a BIOS from the M2N-SLI into the M2N-E. Do so at your own risk of course, but here's some info.

Thread

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
Yes, they put the BIOS _chip_ in it, I think that none of us doesn't have a spare BIOS chip from M2N-SLI ;)

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: kenzy
Yes, they put the BIOS _chip_ in it, I think that none of us doesn't have a spare BIOS chip from M2N-SLI ;)

Yeah I saw that but they say the chips are identical, soooo I was thinking you may be able to just flash a M2N-SLI BIOS on a m2N-E board... *shrug*

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
Yep, that would be nice to know if it was possible. I don't know have you guys noticed that CPU-Z says there's a 570 SLI-chipset in M2N-E when you've flashed newer bios than 0302. With the original BIOS, CPU-Z says that there's a nForce 570 Ultra-chip... so, that _could_ be possible.

gregorio

Nov 14, 2006
Lots of problems here to guys.
I built this machine for a friend and put vista on it; ran flawlessly.
Didnt want to leave him hanging with an RC so i decided i would put good ole stable winXP on for him. Not a chance. If it isnt hanging its corrupting files...a real pain.
Anyone else experience this?

I noticed on this forum that some were using 0402 but it wasnt even available to me on the website..so i followed the ftp link.

Installing now...see how she goes.

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
Well, that's obviously a memory issue. Your RAMs are getting too low voltage to operate properly, or they are not supported by the motherboard. That's the main problem with the M2N-E, because there's only 1.95V available for RAMs, and most of the DDR2-kits would like to have more than 2.1V. Try to make your RAMs slower and give them 1.95V manually from the BIOS, that could work.

EDIT: ...and you should never flash BIOS when your system is that unstable. There's a 50-50 possibility to ruin everything.

gregorio

Nov 14, 2006
I hear ya.
But you have to understand, i attempted to install vista and xp several times each. Everytime i installed Vista, there was not one problem; period. XP on the otherhand was a whole different story.

Anyhoo, I flashed.....still no go......you were right, i upped the voltage without touching ram timings and everything works fine now. Guess i assumed that the board would automatically ship off the right voltage for the ram via ID; guess not.

thanx for the discussion guys.

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
Hmm, I received a new M2N-E yesterday, because my old one didn't like to last longer. There's a 0305-BIOS in this mobo, and I saw that this BIOS isn't officially released at the Asus's website. Well, this BIOS seem not to have any kind of difference between the 0304... this one does have the same FSB problem that the 0304 has. I can reach 2.7GHz clocks, but I can't boot up with that FSB, so I have to use FSB below 230 to boot and reboot normally. That's kind of important, because my wife uses this PC too ;)

Well, no one has told me that do you have the USB-problem in EZ-Flash with 0402-BIOS? That's why I'm not going to update this BIOS to the beta, because I would like to use EZ-Flash with a USB-stick.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
What are the benefits of updating your BIOS if there's NOTHING wrong with your computer. Everything is stable. I ran Orthos once....and my computer became slower after that....I'm won't be overclocking for at least a year because of the warranty. =)

Also....I've asked this questions many times before, yet I don't get a direct answer. How do you update the BIOS with an MP3 Player. I don't have a floppy drive or USB drive.

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
Well, you just have to format the mp3-player to a FAT-filesystem and copy the .bin-file in it. Then reboot and go to BIOS and start the EZ-Flash-utility. It detecs the USB-drive and gives you info of the .bin-file. Simple.

And of course you don't flash your BIOS if there's no incompatibility/instability issues. I'm looking forward to a BIOS that let's you adjust more voltage for DDR's and gives you more stability in overclocking. At the moment, this mobo isn't bootable when using FSB over 229MHz, and that's quite irritating. I'm not really into those beta-BIOSes, so I will wait for the stable release.

Jedi Knight

Nov 14, 2006
What highest bus speed anybody archive ?
Me: maximum is 305, RAM Corsair value 667 set to 533 (RAM 667@800, timing default 5-5-5-15, command rate 2T), HTT multiplier is 3X, Sempron 2800+. I use clockgen to set to 306 but PC restart immediately. My Sempron can run stable at 300X8=2400Mhz, Vcore default. How to avoid the restart when set bus more 300 ? I use BIOS 0402. Is it the limit of mobo or BIOS ?

kenzy

Nov 14, 2006
I'm using 0305-BIOS and I can't use FSB over 229 if I like to reboot normally. My system is stable with 240FSB too, but I can't boot more than once without clearing the CMOS. There's a few bugs in the BIOS I think. I hope they fix it to the next stable BIOS, I'm really not a friend of BETA-BIOSes.