*** Official ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe (nForce4) Thread ***

Page 92 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Can anyone please tell me if the drivers on the CD are ok for this mobo, or are all of you using the newest drivers from the Asus website, OR, nVidia website? I know how flaky drivers are, and sometimes the new drivers are screwed up and the drivers on the CD are best. Other times, the inverse is true. I have XP/SP2 installed now and I need a direction now for drivers so I won't corrupt the OS with trial and error and all sorts of driver versions for each piece of hardware.
Thank you.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Is this thread dead??

Like a typical screwed up mobo maker's website, it's no different for this mobo. Even the so-called "updated" drivers are the SAME that's on the CD, even though their website says they are NEWER!!

So, I'm trying to install the drivers and I can't get rid of the yellow ? mark in the Device Manager for "RAID Controller". I try and install the drivers from the CD (Si RAID driver" on the menu) and it asks if there are any single drives on the controller, I said yes, then it says the drive "will be invalid"!! What the heck does that mean?? Sounds like if I install that driver the HD will get erased! Why is the yellow mark there, when of course F6 was pressed during the XP install and the drivers were installed then?! I also tried to manually install the drivers by updating the driver manually from the Device Manager and nav'ing to the folder on the CD. I went to both the folder called "Disk" and XP says it doesn't like that driver (something about can't verify if it will work), then the other folder seems to be ONLY for RAID since it's called "RAID_DRIVER"!!

Someone please clear this up.
Thanks.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
computer- I just re-installed XP (w/ SP2 slipstreamed) on my brothers PC that uses this board, and in the process - before the install - went from BIOS 1002 to 1016.

I don't remember having the Si RAID problem when I did the initial install last February, but he definitely has it now.

I tried pointing windows to not only the nVidia drivers, but the Asus SI drivers, and even downloaded the SI drivers...all to no avail.

What did end up working was taking a trip to Windows Update, which ID'd the SI as not have having a driver installed, and offered one for it. After letting Windows Update install the driver, all was well on the next reboot.

Try Windows Update if you haven't already and see if that takes care of your problems...

Chuck

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: chucky2
computer- I just re-installed XP (w/ SP2 slipstreamed) on my brothers PC that uses this board, and in the process - before the install - went from BIOS 1002 to 1016.

I don't remember having the Si RAID problem when I did the initial install last February, but he definitely has it now.

I tried pointing windows to not only the nVidia drivers, but the Asus SI drivers, and even downloaded the SI drivers...all to no avail.

What did end up working was taking a trip to Windows Update, which ID'd the SI as not have having a driver installed, and offered one for it. After letting Windows Update install the driver, all was well on the next reboot.

Try Windows Update if you haven't already and see if that takes care of your problems...

Chuck
Are you referring to what I mentioned? I fixed it by clicking the "Makedisk" app on CD in the Si folder and made a new floppy, then manually updated them via the Device Manager, and that finally worked. No more yellow ? mark for the controller in the DM.

Now I just went to the M$ update site and I saw TWO updates for the Si controller. You only saw one? Actually, they only LIST one, but it's actually TWO. One is something like "Pseudo processor controller" update and the other is a "RAID5" update. I didn't do any benchmarks before them, but after them....HIDEOUS. All I ran was PCMark 04 so far, and on my PC I get a HD index of 7004 (see Rigs below for PC info), and on my customer's PC (also WD740) it's less than HALF of that of 3400!!!! :shocked: It also showed "General HDD usage" of (get this) a seemingly impossible figure of 0.034MB/sec!! :shocked: So, you need to check your benchmarks before and after the update, and of course the M$ A$$HOLES don't offer a way to remove the POS!!!! The WD740 on my PC is on the Promise controller, and on his it's on the Si Controller (both cases it's a single drive). The only thing I can do now is switch controllers to see if the results speed up. Either way, I'm going to have to restore with Ghost to a previous point before the M$ update site installed the drivers--to check results before they were installed, and in the event the Nforce controllers are faster, switching controllers is not a good idea so I'll have to start over from the basic Ghost image.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Well, I'm getting BSOD after BSOD with that POS M$ update driver installed!!! And I KNOW BETTER than to f**k with M$ driver updates too!!!! I tried to go to the DM and "rollback driver" since that's the ONLY WAY to remove the POS, and I got fatal stop errors after that! I moved the HD to the Native Nforce controller, no BSOD's and the PCmark04 results were better at 3978, still SUCKS really bad though and the "General HDD usage" this time was a staggering .006 MB/sec!!!!

Does this mobo suck?? I of course can't read all these posts, so those of you that use it, are you seeing horrible HD benchmarks? I can't even run AIDA32 on it. Every time the program would try and start, as soon as it got to "Scanning PCI devices" I got a total system lockup each time and had to hit the reset button to restart the PC!!

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
I'm getting nothing but "fatal errors" and crashes!! I put the WD740 on the Native nVidia controller, and now in the System Tray is that icon to "safely remove devices"!!! What the hell?? :shocked: Is Windows supposed to treat that controller as an EXTERNAL USB or FireWire device??? That's exactly what it's doing! Every time I restart the PC, I get "the system has recovered from a fatal error" or "serious error". It's like you have to "unmount" or "disconnect" the HD BEFORE you restart or shut down Windows!! After sending the error report, the M$ page is http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.as...75-3d35-45c6-ae06-14de400a0f4f&SID=708 , so can someone PLEASE take a look at that?
The 1st & 2nd areas listed is N/A.
The 3rd line is also N/A since the power settings are set to "Always on" and standby and hibernate are disabled!
4th line again is N/A, no AV software is installed. I don't know what they mean by "filter drivers".
5th line: SATA cable is brand new. Second part: WD740 has no jumper settings. But I do have pins 1 & 2 shorted which the drive says "disables spread spectrum clocking". They are jumpered because this is bad to have on in the BIOS, therefore the pins being jumpered. Chkdsk has been run.

Now the other issue appears to be video related (card is the BFG Tech 7800GT). Take a look at this: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.as...47d-175c-4e9d-ae29-2bf5e49e72f3&SID=11 . That's the resultant page of the error report on that crash. That page leads to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078 . This happened when I closed out some IE browser windows. The very latest drivers are installed for the 7800GT! All of its settings are default, except for that "write combing" which I unchecked as per the pages recommendation.

NONE of these errors are showing up in the Event Viewer for some reason even though they show up IN Windows! :confused:

Again, does this mobo suck, is it a POS?? Should I tell the customer to get another? Could these problems be caused now by moving the HD from the Si controller to the nVidia controller? I KNOW I should reformat after doing that, and I am, but I wanted to run some tests first.

PLEASE, anyone, info!!! :disgust:
Thank you.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Well I guess this is another futile attempt, but here goes. Now I know SOME of you HAD to have run CPUz, so what's the deal with "CPU/11" being shown for the "FSB : DRAM" area under the "Memory" tab? This is the latest version, 1.32. I searched for this at G and see it's quite common, but of course no one knows why.

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
clint

Been reading the posts you have up, it seems to me that you may have a power supply problem can you supply specs on the system I was trouble shooting these for awhile and since built a couple. However one thing that I have learned to ignore on my system is that safely remove hardware comes up for the raid array don't know why just does but not with fatal errors or crash recovery. Raptors have since day one had problems with this mobo my assumption is that they have fixed although I would be lying to you if I said I have been following this thread much lately since I don't own raptors.

steam

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: steamnputer
clint

Been reading the posts you have up, it seems to me that you may have a power supply problem can you supply specs on the system I was trouble shooting these for awhile and since built a couple. However one thing that I have learned to ignore on my system is that safely remove hardware comes up for the raid array don't know why just does but not with fatal errors or crash recovery. Raptors have since day one had problems with this mobo my assumption is that they have fixed although I would be lying to you if I said I have been following this thread much lately since I don't own raptors.

steam
Thanks for the reply. The PS is 680 watt, 36A on the 12v, 3.3v = 40A, 5v = 50A. I'm not running any RAID. With the WD740 on the Si controller, I didn't see that external storage device icon in the System Tray. It was only when the HD is connected to the Native nVidia controller! Plus, now, it's GONE from the System Tray! I'm not sure what I did to get rid of it.......I THINK it left when I "rolled back" the driver for the HD in the Device Manager to do some comparison benchmarks with different drivers.

I have not had a single crash nor error ever since I disabled the Si controller in the BIOS, and removed/uninstalled the drivers for it! Apparently the Si controller is very buggy.

When I start over, reformat, I'm keeping the Si controller disabled and of course not installing any drivers for it. Before that though I'm going to do more comparisons with and without that nVidia "SW driver" which popped up during the chipset installation, it I think has something to do with the HD and Native controllers (both IDE and SATA I think). I know on my last nVidia mobo, tests were WORSE when it was installed!

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
Ok unless PSU is very chinsy its ok, but there were some high power ones that did give this board problems because they were not what they seem 680 that should be fine btw you do have all the power ports plugged into the video card etc right....
I geuss i am not following but is this what you are doing is hot swapping the drive or are you just changing the controller port between boots, if its the former your on your own, but the later then you should disable which ever you are not using in the BIOS. I myself use the the NV controller becuase of the RAID, the Si seemed to be seldom used but I can't say i have ever tried it. There have been several experts who have stated shut down what ever you are not using the bios on this board including legacy and drive ports. The SW driver is for the nforce, it goes along with SATA and IDE drivers, my advice is get ahold of 1007 bios revision and the 6.7 noforce drivers, its worked for me and I know that several revisions after made peoples preformances tank, I think they are about 1016 now. Another thing with this board and this has been noted by a friend of mine also, for what ever reason when you take the panel off and touch the board, yes grounded, it just dies at random times. That goes away after about 2 days.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Ok unless PSU is very chinsy its ok, but there were some high power ones that did give this board problems because they were not what they seem 680 that should be fine btw you do have all the power ports plugged into the video card etc right....
I geuss i am not following but is this what you are doing is hot swapping the drive or are you just changing the controller port between boots, if its the former your on your own, but the later then you should disable which ever you are not using in the BIOS. I myself use the the NV controller becuase of the RAID, the Si seemed to be seldom used but I can't say i have ever tried it. There have been several experts who have stated shut down what ever you are not using the bios on this board including legacy and drive ports. The SW driver is for the nforce, it goes along with SATA and IDE drivers, my advice is get ahold of 1007 bios revision and the 6.7 noforce drivers, its worked for me and I know that several revisions after made peoples preformances tank, I think they are about 1016 now. Another thing with this board and this has been noted by a friend of mine also, for what ever reason when you take the panel off and touch the board, yes grounded, it just dies at random times. That goes away after about 2 days.
Sure, it's connected, it's a 2 row x 3 pin connector. But that I found rather interesting is the PC would boot and work FINE, WITHOUT the power connector connected to the video card!

Yeah, what I did was just remove the HD from one controller and put it on the other (from Si to nVidia). Like I mentioned previously, I know you should reformat after that (and I am), but I was just doing that for testing purposes. But no, it's not hot-swapped! I'd never do that! The PC of course is shut down, unplugged, THEN the HD was moved. I don't think the Native controller can be disabled in the BIOS, only 3rd-party controllers. Now I think you can disable the PRI and SEC IDE ports if that's what you mean, but that's IDE and not SATA and the optical drives are on the IDE ports.

The only chipset drivers I see at the site now are v6.65 and earlier. (Christ, its' going to take 3 days to download them!)**

This mobo came with BIOS 1015. I noticed at their site they say that version limits DDR400 to only DDR333 under load!! "3. Modify DDR max speed from 400MHz to 333Hz when full loading." Well that sucks! Maybe that's why like you say the performance is bad with this version? Apparently 1016 is the same way since I see no note of them rescinding that anencephalic "feature". Typical mobo website....look at how it says "333hz" instead of "333mhz". Now I call that a performance hit!! LOL. :Q

**Say, just what the HELL is wrong with the Asus website ALL THE TIME?? That POS is either DOWN, bad links, or in the rare event you CAN get to the friggin' download page, the downloads are at about 100 baud!! My d'loads are about 1000k everywhere else, and that website I'm trying to d'load something right now that's taking forever....slower than a dial-up!! :disgust:

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread all the trouble I had getting the nVidia SATA controller drivers installed. Apparently they are not on the CD, I even went though it manually. If I recall, I had to click a "Make disk" exe file and put the drivers from that operation on a floppy, then let XP recognize them!

I'm getting deplorable HD results on Winbench99 for some reason. Results on all the other benchmark programs were great (Sandra, HDTach, PCMark04, AIDA32, et al), yet on Winbench they are WORSE than an IDE Seagate 7200rpm/8mb/80gb, which was the SLOWEST HD I tested in a batch of 6! That's why I'm trying to experiment with drivers for the controller. (Winbench results were: Hi-end disk Winmark of only 36,500 and Business disk Winmark of only 18,500 AT BEST, it's usually about 32k and 13-15k respectively. On my P4C800-E Deluxe w/the WD740, they are 49,000 and 20,000!) :confused: :Q

I wish others would post their HD benchmarks for this mobo, and their video benchmarks if they are using a 6800GT or 7800GT so I'd have something to which to compare them.

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by: computer
[Sure, it's connected, it's a 2 row x 3 pin connector. But that I found rather interesting is the PC would boot and work FINE, WITHOUT the power connector connected to the video card!

yes it will thats why i asked, along with all the power supply rails for the mobo also you have to have them all plugged in if you sli for sure, a 7800 was not around when i was settin up but my assumption is that it draws more power then the 6800 ultras which were noted for using alot of power on this system.
Yeah, what I did was just remove the HD from one controller and put it on the other (from Si to nVidia). Like I mentioned previously, I know you should reformat after that (and I am), but I was just doing that for testing purposes. But no, it's not hot-swapped! I'd never do that! The PC of course is shut down, unplugged, THEN the HD was moved. I don't think the Native controller can be disabled in the BIOS, only 3rd-party controllers. Now I think you can disable the PRI and SEC IDE ports if that's what you mean, but that's IDE and not SATA and the optical drives are on the IDE ports.
thats exactly what i mean, but also the printer port, firewire, etc etc. anything you are not planning on using
The only chipset drivers I see at the site now are v6.65 and earlier. (Christ, its' going to take 3 days to download them!)**
From nvidia? I downloaded 6.7 literally minutes(in seconds) before my first reply to you don't have to get the nforce drivers from ASUS its 35044KB you need a better connection if thats the case!!![/quote]
This mobo came with BIOS 1015. I noticed at their site they say that version limits DDR400 to only DDR333 under load!! "3. Modify DDR max speed from 400MHz to 333Hz when full loading." Well that sucks! Maybe that's why like you say the performance is bad with this version? Apparently 1016 is the same way since I see no note of them rescinding that anencephalic "feature". Typical mobo website....look at how it says "333hz" instead of "333mhz". Now I call that a performance hit!! LOL. :Q
this i am checking into, i need to hard reboot and check my bios, i don't think everest shows mem clock if it does let me know otherwise i need to dust off cpuz and find future mark. I am pretty sure that i am still at 400, although I remember there was a problem if you ran over 1 gig on 2 512 chips... is that the case? [/quote]
**Say, just what the HELL is wrong with the Asus website ALL THE TIME?? That POS is either DOWN, bad links, or in the rare event you CAN get to the friggin' download page, the downloads are at about 100 baud!! My d'loads are about 1000k everywhere else, and that website I'm trying to d'load something right now that's taking forever....slower than a dial-up!! :disgust:
it sucks and don't bother using the automatic updater that works for ship [/quote]
I'm getting deplorable HD results on Winbench99 for some reason. Results on all the other benchmark programs were great (Sandra, HDTach, PCMark04, AIDA32, et al), yet on Winbench they are WORSE than an IDE Seagate 7200rpm/8mb/80gb, which was the SLOWEST HD I tested in a batch of 6! That's why I'm trying to experiment with drivers for the controller. (Winbench results were: Hi-end disk Winmark of only 36,500 and Business disk Winmark of only 18,500 AT BEST, it's usually about 32k and 13-15k respectively. On my P4C800-E Deluxe w/the WD740, they are 49,000 and 20,000!) :confused: :Q

I wish others would post their HD benchmarks for this mobo, and their video benchmarks if they are using a 6800GT or 7800GT so I'd have something to which to compare them.
I can't help you with the bench marks, but does it have somehting to do with the on board cache by any chance?
Let me hard reboot and check out my settings, I don't remember if you can shut down the nvidia controler or not, will check that out too.
steam

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
yep locked in at 400 HZ(just kidding) and you can shut donw the native controller, if you need to just like you can shut down the si. I geuess I don't want he newer revisions of this bios

steam

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
From nvidia? I downloaded 6.7 literally minutes(in seconds) before my first reply to you don't have to get the nforce drivers from ASUS its 35044KB you need a better connection if thats the case!!!
No, I was checking the Asus website and the d'load page for this mobo. That's where I saw v6.65, and anything you try and d'load from them REGARDLESS of server location takes AGES. No, nothing wrong with MY connection since like I said I get blazing d'loads from anywhere else, however it may be the connection from my location (hops) to theirs that's screwed up.....constantly.

this i am checking into, i need to hard reboot and check my bios, i don't think everest shows mem clock if it does let me know otherwise i need to dust off cpuz and find future mark. I am pretty sure that i am still at 400, although I remember there was a problem if you ran over 1 gig on 2 512 chips... is that the case?
I had to use the latest version of CPUz since the version I first tried crashed the program and shut it down. It says "Under load", so if you open CPUz and check it that way, it's going to show 200mhz (400mhz) and not 333mhz. I guess you'd need to run memory benchmarks with CPUz open and refreshing to see if the memory speed decreases. Did you try that? I haven't yet, the PC isn't hooked up right now since I'm doing finishing touches on the wiring.

I can't help you with the bench marks, but does it have somehting to do with the on board cache by any chance?
You lost me there, ;) , on board cache for what?

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Steam?

Another thing, what are people's feelings on using Asus nVidia drivers or the drivers from nVidia's website? I d'loaded the v6.7 chipset drivers from nVidia, but I'm wondering if that's such a good idea since they are sort of "generic" or general versions and not mobo specific (if such a thing exists, and I would think so).

In case anyone is interested (and I certainly was), I was finally able to find out the specs of the retail fan on the retail HSF unit of a 4400+ X2 CPU. At least on the one I have, it was a Delta #AFC0812DD which exists no where on the net!! I emailed Delta and he first said the fan is not a off-the-shelf fan, it was custom designed, and built for AMD. And that theyhave a NDA with AMD, and were not able to publish the specs to public. He said contact AMD for the info, which as we know is impossible. After some coaxing, I got the CFM rating at least, which is 29.69cfm @89.6°F and an incredible 57.13 cfm @107.6°F. I found out the RPM rating by shorting the thermistor, which is also an incredible 5000rpm! That's according to the Asus PCprobe. You just don't get that kind of CFM from a 80x20mm fan, and I also never saw an 80mm fan that was 5000rpm. The Vantec Tornado (80x38mm) is 4700rpm. I knew the Delta fan was really strong since it's a .75A fan...which of course is at the max RPM.

Odd thing is, the CPU is still 80°F at idle with the thermistor shorted! That's the same temp as a 80x25mm 36.5cfm Zalman I tried on it. Could be that's about as cold as the CPU can get. However, I ran "CPU Stability Test" which previously made it 96°, and this time it's only 87°.

.75A is A LOT for a mobo header, so I'm thinking it's not a good idea to short the thermistor without using a 4-pin power connector w/RPM sensor pass-thru. I know on my P4C800-E Deluxe, .3A is the max the headers can handle.

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
sorry life sucks when you work weekends, i have to fix my car irst so I won't have alot of time to play cpuz today, when I did i don't remember the mem speed dropping, not that I remember all that much but something like that would have made me mad.
How many sticks of memory are you using on this thing, you should be able to get to 400 as long as you are set to 2t and not using all the channels.

As far as the drivers go ASUS just uses nvidias drivers, the 6.65 was outdated months ago so that shows how much they update there site, nvidias site is the only place to get those drivers, its fast and reliable. Those drivers(6.7) are now selectable to amd specfic platforms, so my geuess is that n4 is now being used in intels, I am not up on intels becuase I don't like the "man".

Mobo header is rated at 1.0 amp if memory servers the manual states the exact reading, and most of the fan headers are run of the same controller(in paralell), so c&q controlls more then one fan the execpection is the header for the n4 fan(if equiped) which always stuck at full voltage. My cpu runs at 33C/91F almost all the time I hit 50C once when I ran the fans at lowest (they are all manually controlled) speed during a high ambient day(about 80F) while running prime95, under normal conditions my n4 chip is always hottest, and the vid cards come in second. That temp was reached at while OC at 10%.

steam

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
sorry life sucks when you work weekends, i have to fix my car irst so I won't have alot of time to play cpuz today, when I did i don't remember the mem speed dropping, not that I remember all that much but something like that would have made me mad.
How many sticks of memory are you using on this thing, you should be able to get to 400 as long as you are set to 2t and not using all the channels.

As far as the drivers go ASUS just uses nvidias drivers, the 6.65 was outdated months ago so that shows how much they update there site, nvidias site is the only place to get those drivers, its fast and reliable. Those drivers(6.7) are now selectable to amd specfic platforms, so my geuess is that n4 is now being used in intels, I am not up on intels becuase I don't like the "man".

Mobo header is rated at 1.0 amp if memory servers the manual states the exact reading, and most of the fan headers are run of the same controller(in paralell), so c&q controlls more then one fan the execpection is the header for the n4 fan(if equiped) which always stuck at full voltage. My cpu runs at 33C/91F almost all the time I hit 50C once when I ran the fans at lowest (they are all manually controlled) speed during a high ambient day(about 80F) while running prime95, under normal conditions my n4 chip is always hottest, and the vid cards come in second. That temp was reached at while OC at 10%.

steam
I know the feeling. I work 12/7/365!!

I'm using 2 sticks of memory, 2x1gb.

Thanks for that info, I found it in the manual, but I can't make out EXACTLY what they are saying, it's rather vague. It says it supports fans of ".35-2A (24 watt max)" but it doesn't say if that's TOTAL or EACH. 24 watts for ONE fan seems incredibly HIGH!! But looking at the next part: "or a total of 1A-3.48A (41.76 watts max)", that's a bit confusing since why would they mention a TOTAL of only 1A?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what I take that to mean is ONE SINGLE fan cannot exceed 2A (TWO amps), so where did you get that 1A from Steam? If you meant to say "...if memory serves", then I understand what you meant. I don't know the specs on the chipset fan, so I don't know what its requirements are. The mobo has a total of 4 headers.....chipset, CPU, and two chassis fans. Respectively, that makes [unknown], .75A 9 watts max, .11A 1.32w & .37A 4.44 watts. So that puts me at a known of under 15 watts and 1.23A, and the chipset fan isn't going to draw ~27 watts and 2.25A. So I guess I'm in the clear by shorting the fan's thermistor on the CPU.

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
Thanks for that info, I found it in the manual, but I can't make out EXACTLY what they are saying, it's rather vague. It says it supports fans of ".35-2A (24 watt max)" but it doesn't say if that's TOTAL or EACH. 24 watts for ONE fan seems incredibly HIGH!!

I dunno my CPU fan can draw .5 amp(in afterburner) so..... I made my statement about as clear as the manual upon reading post-posting. From what we figured as we were setting them up is that the board can handle up to 2.0A on each header. The 2.0 amp being the absoulte maxium it can handle ever, typically you double the most your fan motor is rated for and thats what it takes to intially start it(just a second or so). So a good nominal amperage would be no more then 1.0 A(thats what was stuck in my head) on each header. The second rating is for the buss system for the headers, and those are the absoulte max combined, or so we in the forum figured. Another thing is that the chipset fan is in no way syncronized to the CPU Fan. Two headers are unregulated, and the cpu and channel 1 are regulated throught the Q-fan function, if you want to use them.

I did run the newest CPU-Z and I don't clock backk, shes a firm 200 and not moving, I ran it during the mem test in everest and while running prime 95. Taskmon was reporting 100 cpu usage and 1.18 gigs of mem on the PF. One odd thing I must have not used prime since SP2 becuase my DED kicked in.

Since you are running only 2 channels they should be on 2t, so you are not dividing the mem, they must have done something in the latest revisions, I would still see if you can find rev 1007 it works for me. Oh yes the sticks are in the proper slots correct? 1st and 3rd(from the cpu die)

steam

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Since you are running only 2 channels they should be on 2t, so you are not dividing the mem, they must have done something in the latest revisions, I would still see if you can find rev 1007 it works for me. Oh yes the sticks are in the proper slots correct? 1st and 3rd(from the cpu die)
steam
I think you missunderstood me. The memory on the PC is running fine. I was quoting what the Asus site about BIOS versions 1015 and later:
I noticed at their site they say that version limits DDR400 to only DDR333 under load!! "3. Modify DDR max speed from 400MHz to 333Hz when full loading."

steamnputer

Mar 3, 2005
[/quote]
I think you missunderstood me. The memory on the PC is running fine. I was quoting what the Asus site about BIOS versions 1015 and later:
I noticed at their site they say that version limits DDR400 to only DDR333 under load!! "3. Modify DDR max speed from 400MHz to 333Hz when full loading."
[/quote]

Oh I thought you said it was clocking back, which really did not make alot of sense anyways. I would venture a bet that in theyre(ASUS) poor translation they mean to go back 166MHZ(333) when running all the slots(a full board) not actual memory loading. If you read the manual as carefully as I did its full of things like that were they confuse english words.

Is everything else working now?

steam

schriss

Jan 7, 2006
Some say they can't overclock, they have problems etc.
So I thought I will share my results.

I own A8N-SLI Premium, I have volt modded it to allow vcore up to 2.0.
My Athlon64 (1800MHz) runs rock stable on this board at 2450MHz 1.65v at FSB of 271MHz, multiplier 9x, HTT 3x, RAM set to DDR266, CL2-2-2-5.
My 3DMark 2005 score with 7800GT (500/1.22GHz) is 8382 on this board.
If someone doesn't like setting everything manually in the bios and prefer easier, load-defaults and all-auto type of board then avoid A8N-SLI.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
[/quote]

Oh I thought you said it was clocking back, which really did not make alot of sense anyways. I would venture a bet that in theyre(ASUS) poor translation they mean to go back 166MHZ(333) when running all the slots(a full board) not actual memory loading. If you read the manual as carefully as I did its full of things like that were they confuse english words.

Is everything else working now?

steam
[/quote]
Yeah, I've NEVER seen a manual that was written correctly. You'd think they would get ENGLISH speaking people to do some proof-reading. :disgust:

I've been busy with other things, and getting the aesthetics completed. Everything is working ok, but I'm still getting incredibly low results on WinBench's HD results. All other benchmarking software looks great except for it. I don't understand it. Right now I'm comparing results using different controller and HD drivers. I'll post what I find.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: schriss
Some say they can't overclock, they have problems etc.
So I thought I will share my results.

I own A8N-SLI Premium, I have volt modded it to allow vcore up to 2.0.
My Athlon64 (1800MHz) runs rock stable on this board at 2450MHz 1.65v at FSB of 271MHz, multiplier 9x, HTT 3x, RAM set to DDR266, CL2-2-2-5.
My 3DMark 2005 score with 7800GT (500/1.22GHz) is 8382 on this board.
If someone doesn't like setting everything manually in the bios and prefer easier, load-defaults and all-auto type of board then avoid A8N-SLI.

Schriss, what do you mean by "then avoid A8N-SLI"?

If your memory is set to 266, you must be getting low memory bandwidth results. You can't run it at DDR400?