Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 184 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I got my FX-8350 for $100 after the $50 value in the form of a free game I was going to buy anyway.

In other words, $100 for a 4/8 chip could be a major selling point to some segment of buyer.

Though AMD saying the R5 is for 1080 gaming is crazy!!! One thing all those R7 reviews taught me is that there are millions (millions!!!) of gamers who play at 1920x1080 medium settings and no AA with a Titan and a 7700k. And that's barely adequate, even at that. There is just now way anyone could game at 1080 on an R5 and an RX480 GPU. Never happen.

Though in all seriousness, testing the R5 paired with a 480 (or the new 580) is perfectly reasonable. Even better if they can also test the 1600X with a Vega, too.

Reactions: phexac

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
And again with a $200 GPU you will be 99% GPU limited in modern games, especially next gen games.
With a current $200 GPU Like RX480/GTX1060 the G4560 is the worst CPU you want for modern games.
So, will you be GPU limited or CPU limited? Make up your damn mind.

The savings against any Intel option is obvious to anyone that doesn't live with their head in the sand. 2-3 years down the line, Intel has no CPU upgrade to slot into your Z270, whereas AMD has any number of upgrades.
Coffee Lake.
So first up, you're saving on actually having a GPU within the budget, and secondly you're saving by having MOBO that you can put a better CPU into in 2-3 years time.
Once again, if we are talking about gaming performance, then until reviews and whatever else AMD has planned, we have no clue how will it stack in real life against CPUs AMD prices their stuff against.

If you are satisfied with an 2 physical core and cannot see how you would be needing more,what r you doing in a thread where most of us are interested in higher core count.
I am presently sitting on 6400 and eyeing r7 1700 (so for once i will have to resort to spending money on decent dGPU), so stop trolling.

Even a i5 with 4 physical core cannot keep up in BF1 multiplayer.
And you claim Ryzen with 4 physical cores can? Please.

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017
I am presently sitting on 6400 and eyeing r7 1700 (so for once i will have to resort to spending money on decent dGPU), so stop trolling.

And you claim Ryzen with 4 physical cores can? Please.

So if you don't need it why would get a r7? Lol

And r3, the 4c4t are going up against i3. So yes. They will be better for the money.

I see you are true to your name.. Lol fail!!! :)

Reactions: Drazick

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
Because until i3s become 4c4t, they lose to G4560. So, i3 is out of picture entirely.

That's fallacious reasoning in terms of the actual market.

i3's continue to exist and sell well overall. Just because a well researched enthusiast wouldn't buy one now doesn't mean that there isn't a market for something in the same price bracket.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Sarcasm is lost on you, isn't it?

Most things are lost on me...

I did catch the cynicism but the sarcasm must have been too overt. Also I think all tests are valid; the relevance, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: lobz

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017
So, i3 is out of picture entirely.
which planet do you roam.

What are you willing to bet on that? Not to mention that they go against G4560, not against i3s.

Its the same debate we had years when people were arguing over 2c vs 1c2t and then 2c4t vs 4c4t.

its not a discussion up for debate. its a fact like global warming. just because you are running circles around games from 2-3 years ago, does not change anything. it only shows how Thick you are

Do they? Check over at mindfactory suggests they sell way worse than .... G4560, too.
where? over how long. its been out for about a month or so. that means sh*t. fail again

EDIT you are one hypocrite if you are buying R7 when you are so in love with an entry level cpu. you are not putting your money where your mouth is. shame. at least it goes well with your display name :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
So there are two RR? 15-35w and 35-65w?

I don't know the exact power details, but the bga RR is releasing 2nd half this year and AM4 is next year according to the latest roadmap. Unfortunately the roadmap had minimal details. But AM4 version should be up to 65 watts.

With RR desktop not coming out till next year, I more so understand why they bothered to make BR available on AM4 now.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
So there are two RR? 15-35w and 35-65w?
This is most problematic thing to accept. But lets look at clue which we have.

Raven Ridge is mobile APU codename. Already there is 35W package, with 4C/8T+11 CU Eng sample floating around with 3.0/3.3 GHz core clock for the CPU. This design is supposed to scale from 4 to 35W. AMD can just disable CU's and CPU cores to fit it in 4W TDP envelope. There is no problem here, at all.

Raven Ridge is coming 2H 2017 for mobile. That is unquestioned. Desktop Raven Ridge is coming Early 2018.

Next. Horned Owl is supposedly server, embedded and machine learning market APU, that is not based on 16C/32T, 64 CU+HBM2. According to sources it is supposed to be variant of Raven Ridge APU, and Banded Kestrel is separate design with 50% of Horned Owl Package. Horned Owl is supposed to fit in between 35 and 95W TDP envelopes. Horned Owl comes 2H 2017, and Banded Kestrel is coming... in 2018.

Why would you need separate design if you already have a design that fits it perfectly? It does not make any sense. But it appears to be the case.

There is another possibility. What if Raven Ridge 4C/8T+11 CU design is actually... Banded Kestrel.

We know that HBM2 is supposedly expensive, right? Maybe AMD decided to go all out on APU, and make one gigantic design to fit alongside the Ryzen 7 CPUs, in the same line, with similar naming scheme? For example Ryzen 7 1800G 8C/16T+22/24 CU design+ 4 GB of HBM2 with 512 GB/s, and price it accordingly, at 499$?

Lisa Su have said before that they will have Vega GPU stacks rolled out "sort of top to bottom".
4096 GCN core dGPU,
3072 GCN core dGPU,
1408-1536 GCN core APU.
704-768 GCN core APU.

The only thing that would be against this idea is that this APU would absolutely cannibalize the sales of the Ryzen 7 CPUs.

Anyways, this is just my theory. We will see what happen.

Last edited:

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
EDIT you are one hypocrite if you are buying R7 when you are so in love with an entry level cpu. you are not putting your money where your mouth is. shame. at least it goes well with your display name
Calling my CPU entry level while owning a Vishera? Man, you should apply for troll school, because you have some learning to do.

Perhaps it is time to wonder why this cpu is so damn fast. Instead of looking for weak spots it might be saner to look into the branch predictor because it must have some secret sauce.
Because it does not clock high. Easiest question of my life.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Erm, you have just said, that the CPU is so fast, because it cannot clock so high ;).
It is really fast on per clock basis. But then you consider that it clocks lower than Broadwell and it does not look so damn fast anymore.

By the way, semiaccurate's article [the non-paywalled part, nobody is going to pay $100 for semi-inaccurate news, let alone $1000] directly contradicts your hypothesis of what Horned Owl and Banded Kestrel is. For one: Kestrel is said to be out in middle of the next year, not this year. So the 4C sample you're seeing is certainly the Horned Owl.

And considering that Stoney Ridge remains on AMD's roadmap, at least right now, Raven Ridge DOES NOT scale to 4W.

Reactions: french toast

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
which planet do you roam.

Its the same debate we had years when people were arguing over 2c vs 1c2t and then 2c4t vs 4c4t.

its not a discussion up for debate. its a fact like global warming. just because you are running circles around games from 2-3 years ago, does not change anything. it only shows how Thick you are

where? over how long. its been out for about a month or so. that means sh*t. fail again

EDIT you are one hypocrite if you are buying R7 when you are so in love with an entry level cpu. you are not putting your money where your mouth is. shame. at least it goes well with your display name :)
Could you present your arguments without being a child about it? Your childish taunts are ruining a good read, please.

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017
Could you present your arguments without being a child about it? Your childish taunts are ruining a good read, please.
you cant clap with one hand, can you?

Calling my CPU entry level while owning a Vishera? Man, you should apply for troll school, because you have some learning to do..

err..Im not the one trying to claiming my entry level is better/same as R3/R5/R7.