Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 182 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I fear that may get a bit annoying - AMD clearly now have the technology to produce a really good single chip gaming solution, whether they've got the spare R&D for a niche thing like that is another matter.
The APU in question is called Horned Owl. It is not meant to be for gaming market, first, despite its possibilities being used there.

There is a little confusion. AMD will offer Ryzen 3 CPUs in 2h of 2017. But the Raven Ridge APUs are not going to be available for mainstream desktop market till 2018. On the other hand, the Horned Owl chip is going to be available 2h 2017.

Horned Owl was designed first in mind of server, machine learning and Embedded markets. I thought that it will be called Raven Ridge.

Reactions: Drazick

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Horned Owl was designed first in mind of server, machine learning and Embedded markets. I thought that it will be called Raven Ridge.
It is Raven Ridge, same way Zeppelin IS Summit Ridge.
On the other hand, the Horned Owl chip is going to be available 2h 2017.
Laptop Raven Ridge, any issues? From what little i see on both, Horned Owl is basically a big laptop/embedded APU, while Banded Kestrel is an attempt at 15W ultrabooks.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
It is Raven Ridge, same way Zeppelin IS Summit Ridge.

Laptop Raven Ridge, any issues? From what little i see on both, Horned Owl is basically a big laptop/embedded APU, while Banded Kestrel is an attempt at 15W ultrabooks.
Yep, and Banded Kestrel has 5.5 CU's.

Great job.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
The 1400 and 1500X are too closely priced for what they offer - AMD should have priced the 1400 at ~130 and it would have killed off the i3s once and for all.

They are probably going to do that with Raven Ridge I supppose.
They probably want to leave room for R3's. Remember they still have Bristol Ridge APU's to sell, so they might be uncomfortable to sell R3's below 100$.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
they are all unlocked so I say it's perfectly OK as it is. OCers will choose the cheaper one everybody else the 1600x. No need for a 3rd sku.

The quads are probably the worst binning chips that can't reach higher clocks (and not necessarily dies with broken cores).

And we should all pause and appreciate the fact that these chips is churning out of glofos ovens... to my uneducated guesstimation that was by far the biggest hurdle. Its almost a miracle.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
They probably want to leave room for R3's. Remember they still have Bristol Ridge APU's to sell, so they might be uncomfortable to sell R3's below 100$.
Yep, and next year the Raven Ridge APUs are supposed to replace Bristol Ridge in this market.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I think we'd better wait for them to be released and tested by reputable sources before we pass judgement on any of the new parts.

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
Hardware Unboxed just did some testing on the 2500K. The results go directly against what the Adored TV "Ryzen - the tech press loses the plot" video claimed.

Thought this was relevant, given the controversy sorrunding the reveiw process. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with Ryzen itself though.

Reactions: tidy and psolord

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
The timing of the AMD Windows scheduler announcement is to be expected. MS is in bug fixing & polish mode for the Creators 2 update. Both the fast and slow ring have builds of it. They won't be adding anything new until it goes GA.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
Hardware Unboxed just did some testing on the 2500K. The results go directly against what the Adored TV "Ryzen - the tech press loses the plot" video claimed.

Thought this was relevant, given the controversy sorrunding the reveiw process. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with Ryzen itself though.

Entirely depends on the set of games.

Computerbase's testing used a different set of games, so they got different overall results.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Entirely depends on the set of games.

Computerbase's testing used a different set of games, so they got different overall results.
The point didn't depend on which was faster anyways. The point was that the old slow 8 thread CPU made up a lot of ground. Whether it arguably passed it or not is irrelevant.

These techtubers are having a pissing contest atm, which would be comical, if it wasn't so pathetic.

Last edited:

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Have they even caught up though? Those results aren't even close, and that looked like a pretty good set of modern games and the battlefield results directly contradict each other. Someone is making **** up or there are other factors (like memory speed).

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Have they even caught up though? Those results aren't even close, and that looked like a pretty good set of modern games and the battlefield results directly contradict each other. Someone is making **** up or there are other factors (like memory speed).

They looked at the Battlefield 1 multiplayer and showed in areas with more people the Core i5 2500K was faster and in places with less people the FX8370 the opposite happened.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
One cannot take the HW Unboxed and Computerbase data and use them to refute one against the other. It will obviously depend on what games are tested, as well as the test methodology.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Here's an interesting part:

"In official information for channel partners AMD revealed that Ryzen 5 are focused on 1080p gaming:

We’re thrilled to let you know we have an incredibly strong roadmap and our upcoming AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor will be focused on 1080p game play. The best is yet to come!"

So far Ryzen has not done as well in 1080p gaming.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Don't know if this deserves their own topic or not...
AMD-Hoja-de-ruta-2018-Zen2-Pinnacle-Ridge-y-Raven-Ridge-768x409.jpg

Seems that ZEN wil get a refresh on 2018....

but... Why Stoney Ridge is still alive at 2018????
@NostaSeronx is right?
And the refresh will be at 22nm?

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Here's an interesting part:

"In official information for channel partners AMD revealed that Ryzen 5 are focused on 1080p gaming:

We’re thrilled to let you know we have an incredibly strong roadmap and our upcoming AMD Ryzen™ 5 processor will be focused on 1080p game play. The best is yet to come!"

So far Ryzen has not done as well in 1080p gaming.
Plot twist: they mean GPU limited 1080p gaming and will use rx480 for official(tm) comparisons. In fact, i bet on the latter part.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Plot twist: they mean GPU limited 1080p gaming and will use rx480 for official(tm) comparisons. In fact, i bet on the latter part.
That is probably accurate. They are likely calling it a 1080p gaming CPU, because it's cheap.

Which they are! $170 for an unlocked i7 is some good value! You can't even buy a used 4770k for that!

No CCX bugs either...

gIp742P.png

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
I find it interesting that there's no mention of Zen 2 for Pinnacle Ridge. I mean, stuff like that should show up on the roadmap, right?

Hm, is this a refresh like Kaveri -> Godavari and Carrizo -> Bristol Ridge? Higher clock speeds with little tweaks here and there resulting in a polished product?

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
The timing of the AMD Windows scheduler announcement is to be expected. MS is in bug fixing & polish mode for the Creators 2 update. Both the fast and slow ring have builds of it. They won't be adding anything new until it goes GA.

This is typical AMD and on some part Bulldozer all over again. I mean their design decision with the ccx was made years back (before win 10 release...) and ES version were at least around for a year. So there should have been more than enough time to fix it. Same as with bulldozer.

As the underdog you can't really on software getting adjusted to your uArch. Won't happen. And just denying the issue in PR statements doesn't help either. I really wonder why AMD never learns. Intel can just do nothing and watch AMD dig their own grave. I mean they now made an offical statement. Any backtracking would be admitting huge incompetence.