Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I dont know why they rushed it so much. It could look like they really want to push things. Be it software adoption and entire eco system getting into gear but man its a brual experience for many reviewers and first time adopters to be used as a spearhead for that strategy.

I can underatand it but what they fail at is explaining it communicating about it and eg setting some deadlines different goals.

Reactions: CHADBOGA
Mar 10, 2006
I dont know why they rushed it so much. It could look like they really want to push things. Be it software adoption and entire eco system getting into gear but man its a brual experience for many reviewers and first time adopters to be used as a spearhead for that strategy.

I can underatand it but what they fail at is explaining it communicating about it and eg setting some deadlines different goals.

They probably wanted it out ASAP because they would like Ryzen to compete with KBL-S/BDW-E for as long as possible before SKL-X/KBL-X arrive.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
Looncraz, I just wanted to point out that you posted an MSI Afterburner image of your GPU usage when discussing the setup as CPU bottlenecked. ;)

Of course. If the GPU is at 100% consistently - there is no CPU bottleneck.

Dips show either the nature of the game/scene, but the same system at two different frequencies in the same area showing a change in dips will show you the CPU bottlenecks.

The fact is that this tells you much more than frametimes ever will - and in a much easier to digest manner.

Reactions: Drazick

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
AMD has been saying that Zen launches in Q1 since summer. It's rather odd for a mobo maker to claim late Q2.
They get samples late and bad support. And no numbers for sale.
Its hardly surprising effect we have then because the mess especially asus makes is hardly intended and lack of boards is lost revenue.
But its understandable amd does it to get things moving because its market dominated by Intel so the blame game is sorta boring.
Its what it is but amd could be open about it. Tell what will be fixed and when. And what will not be fixed and why.
I mean when you rush things out the door you do have to explain it. Lisa kind of should have got into it because some bs from a marketing director is not gona take care of it.
I think the rushness is also because they saw they could get the zen die to so high freq. A 1800x beating a 6900 in r15 who would have expected that? I surely didnt. So they kind of trade some extra fmax for a bit/lot of mess.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011

That response is total B.S..

Zen was delayed from Q4 to Q1 and I know for a fact that at least one motherboard manufacturer was planning a January release - roughly coinciding with Z270 releases.

I can't say I'd be surprised if the AMD BIOS teams weren't busy on the AGESA and reference setup to help every motherboard company, but I know that they were working with Asus hand-in-hand for a good long while - and Asus boards are more delayed than most (or at least as much).

Likewise, Gigabyte didn't seem to have any problems.

I think the big answer was right here:

Also, in January and February, all board vendors’ production lines were occupied with Intel 200 series boards before Chinese New Year and tried to ship as much boards as we can to ensure we won’t have stock issues while Asia was on New Year vacation.

Bingo! The companies prioritized Intel over AMD (as usual)... then went on vacation.

In general, it’s been too long for AMD to launch a new CPU, so they forgot how to do it, so they launched the CPU just like they were launching the graphics card. They didn’t care about the platform eco-system, so the eco-system is suffering and stock is delayed.

AMD has launched a new CPU every 18 months like clockwork. AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+, AM1, FP3, FP4, XBone/PS4...

We are flying in new batches every 3 days to try to fulfill the back orders ASAP, so they should be all back in stock soon. With all the board reviews released, per Newegg and Amazon, the AMD memory limitation issue is slowing down the sales though.

Well, that's strange... they say they're flying in new batches every 3 days to fulfill back-orders... then say AMD issues are slowing down sales... that is hilarious... maybe it's the lack of boards that is slowing down sales?

This, right here, is what it looks like when Intel has owned these companies for so long. They have become accustomed to doing things Intel's way... and they didn't expect AMD to be able to offer a product anyone would buy... so they didn't plan on needing to release anything early - they thought their initial shipments of board would handle demand for a few weeks.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
That response is total B.S..

Zen was delayed from Q4 to Q1 and I know for a fact that at least one motherboard manufacturer was planning a January release - roughly coinciding with Z270 releases.

I can't say I'd be surprised if the AMD BIOS teams weren't busy on the AGESA and reference setup to help every motherboard company, but I know that they were working with Asus hand-in-hand for a good long while - and Asus boards are more delayed than most (or at least as much).

Likewise, Gigabyte didn't seem to have any problems.

I think the big answer was right here:

Bingo! The companies prioritized Intel over AMD (as usual)... then went on vacation.

AMD has launched a new CPU every 18 months like clockwork. AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+, AM1, FP3, FP4, XBone/PS4...

Well, that's strange... they say they're flying in new batches every 3 days to fulfill back-orders... then say AMD issues are slowing down sales... that is hilarious... maybe it's the lack of boards that is slowing down sales?

This, right here, is what it looks like when Intel has owned these companies for so long. They have become accustomed to doing things Intel's way... and they didn't expect AMD to be able to offer a product anyone would buy... so they didn't plan on needing to release anything early - they thought their initial shipments of board would handle demand for a few weeks.
I agree AMD clearly got the fecal covered end of the stick. But I am not sure it was by design, or even choice. Probably just bad luck.

That said, Asus at least, does seem like it is flying in orders.

Last edited:

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
This is a real strong marketing campaign for Alien: Covenant that AMD has going on with 20th Century Fox.

Very bizarre ad - both for the movie and for AMD. The great irony is that the render farms used to do all the effects were most likely Intel/NVIDIA-powered. I take that back, I don't think that's irony.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree AMD clearly got the fecal covered end of the stick. But I am not sure it was by design, or even choice. Probably just bad luck.

That said, Asus at least, does seem like it is flying in orders.

Asus screwed this up worse than anyone else. Which is sad as i considered them one of the better mobo makers but im not sure what to think about their AM4 launch with all the bricking mobo's that only seem to effect them. Gigabyte and ASrock are having way fewer issues.

Reactions: unseenmorbidity

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Asus screwed this up worse than anyone else. Which is sad as i considered them one of the better mobo makers but im not sure what to think about their AM4 launch with all the bricking mobo's that only seem to effect them. Gigabyte and ASrock are having way fewer issues.
In addition the crappy memory support on the Asus compared to Gigabyte and ASRock.

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Very bizarre ad - both for the movie and for AMD. The great irony is that the render farms used to do all the effects were most likely Intel/NVIDIA-powered. I take that back, I don't think that's irony.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you seem to be in the very small minority. The youtube video was posted a few hours ago, and out of the 300,000 views so far it looks like it has a 97% approval....
You are right that it not being irony though, since they are most likely using Radeon Pro SSGs.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011

I don't think the "bricking" is actually a real bricking - or an Asus only thing. I've already done it today three times on an ASRock AB350 Fatalwho? K4. In fact, I couldn't save any new settings to the BIOS because it would "brick" the system.

Clearing the BIOS didn't fix it. Only removing the battery and all power and waiting for about 20 minutes would fix it. It seems some settings, as rumors claimed, are stored on the CPU/SoC and take a good while without a connection to socket power to be cleared.

Thankfully, the updated BIOS seems to have largely resolved my bricking... and I can set boot order and other things in the BIOS now.

--

On a side note, My 960 Evo 256GB NVMe performance on Ryzen is perfectly in line with expectation in AS SSD... as in, it's faster than on Intel.

Ryzen, Windows 10:

Samsung256Evo_Ryzen_Win10_AS_SSD.jpg

Xeon E5 2680 v4, Windows 10:

as_ssd.JPG

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you seem to be in the very small minority. The youtube video was posted a few hours ago, and out of the 300,000 views so far it looks like it has a 97% approval....
You are right that it not being irony though, since they are most likely using Radeon Pro SSGs.
97% approval from less that 3% of all views: 291,000 of viewers were apathetic.

Also, don't pretend that your opinions are facts - the SSG isn't even available yet.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009

And yet there are still some people on here insisting that there is something wrong with anyone who would buy an Intel system right now.

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
finally... a result with Process Lasso! hard for me to believe that this is the first review i've seen to test using Process Lasso... as it works so great with my 48 core setup with games. It seems that all Ryzen folks should be using it... at least until MS gets their scheduler fixed.

Found a review from the Czech Republic that used Process Lasso but only 1 data point and likely a best case scenario Would be interesting if you add such a test too
"http://www.svethardware.cz/recenze-ryzen-1700x-a-1800x-v-testech-amd-povstalo/44045-5
Through Google Translate
"Just in the process list and choose the right one to choose that will pay him the possibility of using only physical cores. In the case of Stamp the osmijádrových are always the first one, so the numbers 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14. As seen in the screenshot, it really works and was also immediately see the difference on the frame rate, which in the Doom scene immediately rose from 100 to 130 FPS.
That's what I tried and then with the Core i7-7700K, the FPS in the same scene Doom after disabling HT cores fell by 142 to 125 FPS, making it clear that it is indeed a problem of incorrect use of logical cores Stamp the processor."

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Well I hope this AMD powered Android is better behaved than the Android in the original Alien film, or else people might be blaming AMD for that. :p