Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
The problem is if SMT in gaming does not get fixed the Ryzen 5 quad cores with SMT will get beaten by a Core i5 7500 in gaming. It also makes the R5 1600X more vulnerable as for optimal gaming you need to switch off SMT and if Intel drop the price of the Core i7 7700K,it will be 4 faster cores with SMT against 6 slower cores.

Intel must be somewhat relieved AMD managed to so monumentally fuck up SMT in games.

Now they are relying on games developers to fix performance - how is that going to work for all games??

Why do AMD like releasing half finished products to the market??
Yup, this is exactly what I am worrying about. I was planning on the 1600x, but now I am uncertain again. Maybe I should get the 8 core...

Reactions: coffeemonster

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html?page=2

Ryzen 1700 gets owned by a 3570k in gaming. 5 year old i5 beats it. I have come to the firm conclusion that AMD went for a deceitful preorder cash grab. Lots of disappointed people right now. No two ways about it. I don't think I can live with myself if I install this thing. I might have to take it back.

Is there any point to your post? Or did you just come to say: "AMD sucks! Intel FTW!" ?

I rather want to know what is causing Ryzen's poor gaming performance (and whether it is fixable).

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html?page=2

Ryzen 1700 gets owned by a 3570k in gaming. 5 year old i5 beats it. I have come to the firm conclusion that AMD went for a deceitful preorder cash grab. Lots of disappointed people right now. No two ways about it. I don't think I can live with myself if I install this thing. I might have to take it back.
That review looks like click bait sensationalist garbage. Don't buy into obvious bs!

Reactions: lightmanek

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Personally, I'm waiting for the revised motherboards. Every new uArch it's like this, 2-3 months should see Rev 1.1 boards and MS qualify AMDs Windows 10 submissions. Sounds like there will also be some game patches by then as well.

Zen looks really good actually, except max OC. Wonder why all the efficiency cheerleaders aren't posting their kudos. ;)

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Am I the only person thinking this is a majorly positive release for AMD? Some of the performance numbers have been very encouraging. Often taking the outright lead over Intel.

Excel, C-Ray, Adobe Premier, Handbrake, Blender, Cinebench, OpenSSL results were all very competitive. I think there are some great signs for Naples.

No, you are not the only one.
Many others, myself included, share your view. You summarized it perfectly, it is a majorly positive release, and you are giving it the right perspective. This is a major accomplishment by AMD.
I would go as far as calling Ryzen a beautifully balanced design. It has a lot of CPU computing power, and has enough to stay right there with the competition in gaming.
Ryzen performance can only go up as time goes by.

BrandonT

Feb 23, 2011
I notice that Anand has the 1800X swapping places with Intel 7700K on the Handbrake tests, while other sites show a considerable advantage to Ryzen on Handbrake. This is the sole reason I'm looking to upgrade from my 3570k @ 4.4ghz. Thoughts?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
So let me get this straight. For my workloads Ryzen matches a 6900K on average at 1/2 the price... and I'm supposed to be disappointed and upset?

I don't care if gaming perf at 1080p low aka peasant settings needs a fix, I game at 4K high/ultra and that's solidly GPU-bound.

There are games and apps today where I need more cores/threads than my 6700K. Which I upgraded to from a i5-3570K because 4 threads wasn't cutting the mustard any longer.

Sure there are platform teething issues.

Sure there is little OC headroom.

But perf/$ it is a bargain.

AMD should have marketed it as the Affordable Core Act.

Mar 10, 2006
I would like to see AMD improve Zen+ in quite a few aspects.
1. Memory latency.
2. Inter CCX bandwidth.
3. SMT resource allocation in a manner which does not adversely affect single thread performance.

I also hope AMD and GF tweak the 14nm rocess and improve physical design of Zen+ to run at 4.5+ Ghz. Anyway Zen is a decent foundation to build on for the next 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You sound a bit disappointed ;)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
To shorten my thoughts up:
If the i7 7700k is a viable processor choice for you, then you should stop looking at Ryzen 7 all together.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
To me Zen looks good and to the point. This is what AMD promised and they delivered.

It is true that anyone who buys a R7 1700 (or more) at $329 is highly unlikely to play at 1080p. In real world anyone playing games at 1080p is most likely using a Core i5 CPU + Radeon 470/480 4GB. Or even less like a Core i3 CPU.

This is the common scenario here in India where Core i5 sells like hot cakes and few people buy Core i7 by paying an arm and a leg. Ask any shopkeeper and he will tell you that for every 100 Core i5 he sells, 10 core i7 are sold.

A better comparison for 1080p gaming will be Ryzen R5 1500 vs a Core i5 7500 + RX 470/GeForce 1060. Or better yet, a Core i7 7700 (non K) vs Ryzen R5 1600X + RX 480 8 GB/1060 6 GB.

Remember, only us enthusiast overclocks. Most people don't even open BIOS.

Since my professional work involves working with Illustrator, Photoshop, Android Studio etc, Ryzen is a wet dream come true for me considering the price/performance ratio it gives. Professionals don't overclock as we need stability during constant workloads. No one wants their PC to reboot due to overheating in the middle of a rendering session as Time is Money for us. AMD should promote Ryzen R7 as a workstation oriented CPU first and then gaming. It sure beats Intel in workstation tasks.

Even if it is about gaming, I believe games are not yet optimized for 8C-16T CPUs. Most of the games we are playing right now are console ports and consoles have 8C-8T CPU with weak cores. Even a Core i5 or Ryzen with 4C-8T will match them for 1080p gaming.

I somehow really like the SoC approach Zen has taken. I am someone who doesn't like paying for features I won't use. As a typical gaming PC/household PC, all I need is a PCIe x16 GPU + maybe a PCIe x1 sound card + maybe a x4 NVMe SSD. I can get all that in cheap Ryzen motherboard too as these are in the CPU itself. This saves my money.

It is wise to not rush in to buy Ryzen right now. If you have already purchased than you got nothing to worry about. I suggest we wait and watch the next 2 months during which Windows 10 Creators update is coming and during which mature drivers and BIOS will be available for all motherboards.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
First my apologies to the forums and mods for my crying like a baby. I'm done crying (promise) and I'm keeping the CPU. Why? I already know what its like to have an Intel CPU, and to be honest, I kind of appreciate the drama of all this. So, I will look forward to BIOS updates, clever ways to tweak the OS for more performance etc. It might be a slower CPU, but there is this challenge/fun/tweaking factor to this build that the very process of it all is kind of exciting still, so I'm sticking with it. After a year or two if I don't want it, well, then I'll swap it for something else.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Can someone test this CPU with 6 vs 8 cores for gaming?
Or does someone have these tests? They're easy to do from the tools AMD provided they should be out there.

Or Moonbogg since you've so lovely posted with this CPU. Want to do some gaming tests with 6 and 8 cores?

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
First my apologies to the forums and mods for my crying like a baby. I'm done crying (promise) and I'm keeping the CPU. Why? I already know what its like to have an Intel CPU, and to be honest, I kind of appreciate the drama of all this. So, I will look forward to BIOS updates, clever ways to tweak the OS for more performance etc. It might be a slower CPU, but there is this challenge/fun/tweaking factor to this build that the very process of it all is kind of exciting still, so I'm sticking with it. After a year or two if I don't want it, well, then I'll swap it for something else.

Or you can donate it to me now and I'll test it for you against your current system :D

Reactions: moonbogg
Mar 10, 2006

I wouldn't recommend it. Why stick with a product that you don't actually want? :p

You have a good system with SNB-E. Send it all back and wait for Skylake-X, which I think will -- frankly -- be a much worthier successor to SNB-E than Ryzen is.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Can someone test this CPU with 6 vs 8 cores for gaming?
Or does someone have these tests? They're easy to do from the tools AMD provided they should be out there.

Or Moonbogg since you've so lovely posted with this CPU. Want to do some gaming tests with 6 and 8 cores?

You mean 3930K vs 1800x? I'd love to, but I'm not sure they will be worthwhile because I won't build the Ryzen rig until the 1080ti comes in. It would be 1080ti vs 2x 980ti. I can do it that way but it won't be apples to apples. I guess I could do testing at 1080p for you and it won't matter GPU wise.
Another reason I'm keeping this chip is because I seriously had to sit through HELL'S worst traffic to get to microcenter. I'm not giving up so easily after all that. I'll start compiling some benchmarks.

Oh, you meant 1800x 6 vs 8 core. Yeah sure when I get it I'll do that.

Reactions: richierich1212