Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017
They've barely dropped at all. They're still selling for over $900 on fleaBay (on the open auctions).
i did not realize fleaBay reflects official prices from intel. lol. also i did say in a few days. Intel officially did not say anything other than the usual "wait for 8th gen"

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
i feel sorry for AMD, they seemed to have bought quite a few 6900x for all these demos at $1050 only to see their prices drop by upto 50% in a few days times. Sad!

Edit: Sorry I thought you meant AMD cpu prices :)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Not surprising the Anti-AMDer's are hitting full swing. I will never understand how anyone could get that way with anyone, even if money influences it.

I could understand preferring Intel (as I have for over a decade now) but as a hardware enthusiast I don't understand those guys either.

I am excited that AMD is shaking up the CPU market and making 8 cores mainstream... at a very competitive price. At $499 the R7 1800X was a day 1 preorder for me, no question.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Not surprising the Anti-AMDer's are hitting full swing. I will never understand how anyone could get that way with anyone, even if money influences it.

I never understood taking sides. You build enough of a variety of PCs, you end up using both AMD and Intel (or NVIDIA and AMD, for that matter). Even when one clearly holds the performance crown, there are reasons to buy the other's products, be it for value, power efficiency, overclocking performance, or just a good sale.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I could understand preferring Intel (as I have for over a decade now) but as a hardware enthusiast I don't understand those guys either.

I am excited that AMD is shaking up the CPU market and making 8 cores mainstream... at a very competitive price. At $499 the R7 1800X was a day 1 preorder for me, no question.
In some ways it's kind of nice. I don't actually have to click on a "Game X Tested" thread on VC&G to know how cards have performed, I just need to look at who posted it. Saves bunches of time.

Reactions: KompuKare

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005

I was an AMD fanboy for many years. As it stands, I'm typing this up on a 5820K system. While I would love to sell my Intel gear and get an 1800X, I have plenty of power to tide me over for a year easy while Intel and AMD shake up the market. At worst I will be able to get a 6900K for less than $600 by that time.

I can say that some people are just in it for the money. I can also say that my GF is a children psychologist, and just today worked with a kid that is incredibly gifted but completely unhinged emotionally. He will literally swing a chair at another kid if they finish a math problem before he does. Some people just never got the help they needed. I feel bad for them.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
You can also identify your most efficient cores. I've noticed on almost all of my chips over the last 5 years (875k, 4770K, others) that at least half the cores run cooler than the other half... and sometimes there's one stand out that's 4-5 degrees cooler with a full 100% stress test from something like Prime95.

Pick those for your higher clocks and keep the rest where they can manage.
My experience has been different. Though there is a 2-4C difference between cores when idle, when under load they eventually reach the same steady-state temperatures.

WR-HW95

Feb 24, 2017
On that LN2 run.
Sampsa said in io-tech news that it was ran on 5.3GHz before he removed it.
He didnt have picture of it, but my guess is that he asked it from Macci , SF3D or Elmor (they we running it regarding article).

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Does anyone know if the R7 prices may drop six months after release? Or would I be better of waiting for their six core lineup that would be priced lower?

New Not surprising the Anti-AMDer's are hitting full swing. I will never understand how anyone could get that way with anyone, even if money influences it.
The way I see it is they want competition, but only if Intel lowers their mainstream and HEDT prices in response, and thus they go with Intel once again, not choosing the AMD product be it as good or superior to Intel's.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
On that LN2 run.
Sampsa said in io-tech news that it was ran on 5.3GHz before he removed it.
He didnt have picture of it, but my guess is that he asked it from Macci , SF3D or Elmor (they we running it regarding article).

I heard that as well. The math suggested that had to be the clock-speed for the WR Cinebench score.

That is ~80MHz faster than the 6900k world record (well, on HWBot).

Would be nice to know if they tried for higher if they simply ran out of time, or that was all they could achieve from the chips they had on hand. It was obvious they had done other runs.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Makes more sense than 5.14Ghz for sure, with newer Cinebench and all.
If that WR result in CB was achieved @ 5.3Ghz than OCing bus and memory/NB yields roughly 5% more performance at the same relative clock, based on 1700X and 1800X CB numbers.

Reactions: Drazick

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
If that WR result in CB was achieved @ 5.3Ghz than OCing bus and memory/NB yields roughly 5% more performance at the same relative clock, based on 1700X and 1800X CB numbers.

There's a reason why I chose to investigate clock scaling when I did my Excavator interrogation.

Okay, so far all of these results have been obtained at 3Ghz. But BOTH of these CPUs run at up to 3.8Ghz... and frequency scaling isn't always perfectly linear.

Sometimes going up 25% in frequency gives you 25% improvement. Sometimes it brings you 5%. And, sometimes, you will get just a little more than you think you should due to certain time-based latencies intermixing the clock-based latencies and a certain synergy occuring that gives you a little extra something something.

Source: http://excavator.looncraz.net/page5.html

If Zen's L3 is setup the way I think, positive scaling with clock speeds is possible.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
From the screen it seems that they upped the bus to 140MHz and the CPU multiplier was under 40x, so probabily untouched. I doubt that they moved the NB multiplier and probabily they only lowered the ram multiplier. In this situation the scaling is about linear with a few percent less... 300MHz on 5.5GHz is 5%... I find implausible an extra 5% increase just fiddling with multipliers... I think that default multipliers are already choosen to maximize performance... The only hypothesis is that they upped the bus and lowered the ram and left turbo and XFR activated. They took the screen at idle, where the multiplier was jumping between default (36x) and in the very instant of the screen was 37.5x or so (i don't remember) but during the run could have also jumped to 39-41x due to the very low temperature granted by the LN2... 140x39 is 5460...

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
From the screen it seems that they upped the bus to 140MHz and the CPU multiplier was under 40x, so probabily untouched.
Screen is not relevant to the run in question, bear that in mind. In fact, the 5.2Ghz run is from 2300ish score.
I think that default multipliers are already choosen to maximize performance...
Sort of naive thought, don't you think?
due to the very low temperature granted by the LN2... 140x39 is 5460...
Glad to let you know that XFR is TDP-limited as well and LN2 OC at this voltage breaks any and all TDP limits.