Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 118 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Finally saying that people don't 'actually' play GTA V because DoTA 2 and CSGO top the Steam charts is a strawman.
Guess what, the third most played game on Steam is GTA V.

GTA V actually does fairly well on Ryzen, according to TechReport's tests. The 1800X can do a solid 60 FPS, with no frame drops:
gtav-16.png

No CPU, not even the 7700K, can do a solid 120 FPS. They all have time spent beyond 8.3 ms. But the 1800X comes out in fourth place, behind the 7700K, 6700K, and 6950X. It just about ties the 5960X.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Yes, I have a i7-6700K, so I might not need to upgrade for a while.

I was just disputing the argument that no one could possibly build a powerful PC primarily for gaming.

I think Ryzen is a great start. Just because it loses out in gaming doesn't mean it's DOA, far from it. BIOS updates and Windows patches will help improve gaming performance. And AMD crushes Intel on workstation stuff. Anything above a i7-7700K in Intel's lineup is pretty much dead and buried now.

In fact, I think this is perfect. There is a nice balance being struck between AMD and Intel; pros and cons on both sides. Equally balanced; that's best for the market, where the effects of competition are best exemplified.

For now;

Intel: pure gaming
AMD: everything else (including if someone needs gaming along with the other things)

Now it will be interesting to see what AMD can do with Vega, as unlike Intel, NVIDIA has not been laying dormant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Intel Pure gaming, for now.. They need those consumer level 6 cores to start rolling out soon I feel. But yes, I agree.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Seems to me that you conveniently forget the same issues Intel faced in the past.
AMD should give you a free t-shirt for your efforts.:p At least my 4790k still holds its own against the new *yawn* threat from Ryzen and the backplate spec didn't change without any notification from the manufacturer. I'm truly disappointed that they chose to demonstrate deceiving gaming benchmarks to promote the thing when it can barely hold its own against years old Intel offerings that are much cheaper.

majord

Jul 26, 2015
6UpneNX.png

Still can't get over the perf/watt of this thing.. 8 SMT cores Sustaining 3.2ghz @ 70w package power in Pov ray (with the performance to match its clockspeed) is something I don't think anyone, even Intel could have predicted. and this is from a "runt" 1700 , on day one.

Scaling this down to the mobile world, where Raven Ridge will sit, and combine it with Polaris graphics.. Cannon lake better be good!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
oh man, AMD down another 3% pre-market this morning. What a glorious buying opportunity this is off the backs of ignorant sockpuppets. :D Naples isn't out for another couple of months, and everything we see from yesterday shows how amazing Naples, AMD's baby, will be. AMD is crushing it and Intel is probably wetting themselves over the reality of the situation. (hence the focus on "OMG gaming is kinda bad! whaaaaa!")

...but hey, the shortsells probably made some money for once this last year. :D

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Yep, AMD is still on the rise. They even not have released the best, this year.

Reactions: Drazick

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Intercommunication between CCXs causes a penalty of around 10% in gaming tests, head over SA forum for details.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I game 3440x1440@100hz. The Ryzen CPU failed to break 100fps in some games compared to the intel chips. Some of those game results were really terrible. I don't care about 200fps vs 500fps, but I do care when Ryzen can't even feed a GPU to max out a 100hz monitor. I'm planning on a 1080ti and I don't want 1070 performance from it because my CPU can't keep up. I'm not alone here. A lot of people are kind of freaking out about this.

OK found two games at 1440p and 4K for you ;)

I dont know what settings they have used but i have asked them and waiting their reply, when ill have the settings ill post them for you. From the first look it looks like Ryzen will not have any problems at your resolution.

https://hwbox.gr/reviews/cpu-apu/39937-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review.html?showall=&start=5

LGA 2011-3

Intel Core i7 5960X

Cooler Master Nepton 240m

GIGABYTE SOC Champion

4x Corsair Vengeance LPX @2133MHz C15 16GB

GIGABYTE GTX 1070

OCZ Trion 150 SSD

LGA 1151

Core i7 6700K

Deepcool Assassin II

ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger

2x HyperX Fury @2133MHz C15 8GB

GIGABYTE GTX 1070

OCZ Trion 150 SSD

AM4

Ryzen 7 1700X

Corsair H110i GT

GIGABYTE X370 GAMING 5

2x Corsair Vengeance LPX @2133MHz C15 32GB

GIGABYTE GTX 1070

WD Black M.2 SSD

g22.jpg

g33.jpg

g55.jpg

g66.jpg

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
6UpneNX.png

Still can't get over the perf/watt of this thing.. 8 SMT cores Sustaining 3.2ghz @ 70w package power in Pov ray (with the performance to match its clockspeed) is something I don't think anyone, even Intel could have predicted. and this is from a "runt" 1700 , on day one.

Scaling this down to the mobile world, where Raven Ridge will sit, and combine it with Polaris graphics.. Cannon lake better be good!
What's the power consumption at wall, & your config please?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Zin, I swear upon all things both holy and not, that if AMD fixes these performance issues I will **eat my Ryzen box** and post proof right here in this thread.

I can't imagine it would be any worse than cat food, but what's up with making bets and eating things? Also, I hope they don't accidentally send you one of those large wood crates that reviewers received :p

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'm just going to scrap my Ryzen build and build a G4560 system. You know, cuz Kabylake and all. :rolleyes:
@VirtualLarry is that you? :D

Are people forgetting that the 7700K is better for gaming than Intel's own $1,700 6950X? HEDT is not measured by gaming alone. Ryzen 7 is a HEDT part that destroys the perf/dollar model.

AMD's competition for the 7700K has not yet been released - Ryzen 5.

Last edited:

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
SMT issues will be mitigated to the point that they are only a 2~5% penalty, instead of 10~20% as they can be now. I think the SMT penalty is being made to appear larger than it is by poor scheduling across the CCXes. Fixing that, by itself, should help reduce the deficit.

I intend to use Process Lasso to force any poorly threaded (and problematic) games/apps onto just one CCX. I suspect that VMWare Player will be just such an app, where I will need to force it to the second CCX. That, though, would also allow me to assign games to the first CCX, so I can then play games while running calculations in VMWare Player (usually in Linux Mint these days, but also Haiku OS).

That's a capability I will lack with any other reasonably priced CPU.
Good news, thank you. I was noticing that intel suffers a similar small penalty of a few %.

Reactions: Space Tyrant

lefty2

May 15, 2013
Quick question:
Has anyone tried running Ryzen on Windows 7/8/8.1?
How well does it run?

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Quick question:
Has anyone tried running Ryzen on Windows 7/8/8.1?
How well does it run?
I know the taichi motherboard I bought says it only supports windows 10. But it should still work in windows 7. You might have to force drivers or something, and that would suck.

Just do a free a upgrade to 10. You will have to do it eventually anyways.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Part of the problem is AMD didn't release the final microcode to motherboard manufacturers until 3 weeks until release, so they have had no time to sort the bios, thats why the bios are buggy and lack features.
The different way the cache is set up up between intel vs amd is something that is not accounted for in game builds, also the way threads are handled betwwen ccxs effects performance as does the resource allocation with SMT.
The different memory dies (sk hynix/samsung) their speed and timing between reviews made a difference as well as possibly windows drivers.

Thats a hell of alot of stuff that could effect game performance, AMD shot themselves in the foot here by rushing this, hell they would have been better delaying and launching alongside vega for double impact and mature drivers/bios.
Now people have got the incorrect impression ryzen sucks for gaming and the trolls are dancing around the bonfire spreading fud.