Discussion ***Official*** 2022 Stock Market Thread

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The S&P is still 15% higher than it was at the beginning of the pandemic. QQQ is even higher at 25%. As I've been saying there's no justification for anywhere near these price levels without the money printer.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The S&P is still 15% higher than it was at the beginning of the pandemic. QQQ is even higher at 25%. As I've been saying there's no justification for anywhere near these price levels without the money printer.

Yeah, but morans keep buying anyway.

Whadaya gonna do?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Anyone think six month treasuries are looking decent? 3.9ish%, and don't have to lock money away for two years while rates continue to climb. Already maxed out my I-bonds. The only consideration is losing buying opportunities through March, but there's other money for that ...

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Anyone think six month treasuries are looking decent? 3.9ish%, and don't have to lock money away for two years while rates continue to climb. Already maxed out my I-bonds. The only consideration is losing buying opportunities through March, but there's other money for that ...

I dunno. Powell insists they are not slowing down until inflation goes to two, so we may see another big hike before year end.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I dunno. Powell insists they are not slowing down until inflation goes to two, so we may see another big hike before year end.

Yeah agreed, but might make sense to stagger the buy ins at least? Then the money is doing something for two months until the next increase, and can be recycled in March. Who knows, it would take a lot of cash for that to really produce anything. $100k only earns $2000 over six months ... certainly better than I've done buying VTI all year.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wish I had cashed in My VGCX stock back when it was in the 14 range but I got greedy. I was waiting for it to go to 15+. Or at least around that range. It's at 7.51 now. :eek: I put a lot of money into that one too... like 3 grand.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
i've given up on returns being good for this decade

but i hope things get better in the 2030s

When the inflation target is reached they say it will time to buy. Of course the smarter ones are just averaging down over the long term.

My health is in decline, I wonder if I will make it to the 2030s. If I dont post here anymore, you'll know what happened.

I wish I had cashed in My VGCX stock back when it was in the 14 range but I got greedy. I was waiting for it to go to 15+. Or at least around that range. It's at 7.51 now. :eek: I put a lot of money into that one too... like 3 grand.

Thats a tough one. Gold, silver, etc have not benefited from runaway inflation. That stock has a very low pe ratio and is a long term survivor. I also see its thinly traded. You can call it dead money until the demand for gold returns.

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Thats a tough one. Gold, silver, etc have not benefited from runaway inflation. That stock has a very low pe ratio and is a long term survivor. I also see its thinly traded. You can call it dead money until the demand for gold returns.

Yeah just going to hold it for now. Small gold mines are tricky, some don't do well, some do very well. But when they are small is the time to buy. Anyone that bought KL Gold or Goldcorp a few decades ago for example is basically rich now. But at the time of buying it's a gamble. I had a lot in Gowest but I felt it was not going very far so I sold what I had at a loss and put it into Victoria. The issue with Gowest is they kept hitting snags that basically stopped production for months at a time.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

The 2 year treasury looks very tempting. You can get a 2 year ETF, with a growing yield, and be able to jump out whenever you want.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The 2 year treasury looks very tempting. You can get a 2 year ETF, with a growing yield, and be able to jump out whenever you want.
One thing to keep in mind is that while a bear market can be miserable, history has shown exiting a bear market provides strong gains at the onset of a new bull market.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

But in ETF form, your principal will decrease as rates go up, no? That’s why I was looking into buying them directly.

There’s no chance I’d buy two years directly though, only six months. I think there’s going to be too much opportunity over the next couple years to waste money on locking in a measly 4%. Looking at a mountain property up north in NH or VT as well

Reactions: Ken g6

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There’s no chance I’d buy two years directly though, only six months. I think there’s going to be too much opportunity over the next couple years to waste money on locking in a measly 4%.

Until they turn back on the money printer, 4% is going to look pretty good.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I could see triple hikes every meeting until white collar people accept they are going back to the office.

I wonder how high it will have to go.