Discussion ***Official*** 2022 Stock Market Thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't see why those monkeys trust anything RC says or does. All he does is profit off them. Still in his mid 30s and made 100s of millions with his stupid shenanigans.

Even Gamestop has done nothing but lose money since he has been monkeying around with it.

One hundred years from now, RC will be remembered as the pied piper of memesters, getting people to YOLO $80 call options on a $20 stock he dumps on their head.
The market needs its losers. These particular losers are directly handing over their money to those with established wealth. It's both hilarious and sad. Hilariously sad.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Looks like the DOJ wants to rein in Google's search payments. In particular this could be really bad news for Apple because that's like 90% of their "services" revenue.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Looks like the DOJ wants to rein in Google's search payments. In particular this could be really bad news for Apple because that's like 90% of their "services" revenue.

Im torn on this. On one hand Goog pays to be the default search engine, and while its not illegal, its monopolistic. I think in the end they settle with the DOJ and stop making payments.

Duck Duck Go will then IPO, and eventually be bought out by Samsung or Apple in 2026/7.

From what I was reading, DDG has been profitable since 2014 but is privately held.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

I was wondering when they were going to go after these payments. They seem very anti-competitive, like colluding with a competitor to sell your products only.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I was wondering when they were going to go after these payments. They seem very anti-competitive, like colluding with a competitor to sell your products only.

I believe that everyone that takes the payments allows people to change the default search. But obviously not too many people bother with that.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
More people will be exiting stocks and holding onto cash. That's fine. Inflation will inevitably go down and people will return to stocks. However far out into the future that is. Reports like this make it clear it's not happening anytime soon.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
More people will be exiting stocks and holding onto cash. That's fine. Inflation will inevitably go down and people will return to stocks. However far out into the future that is. Reports like this make it clear it's not happening anytime soon.

Cash is a bad place to be during high inflation. Its losing value at the rate of inflation, but perhaps that's better than losing at the rate of the stock market.
I moved some of my money to short-term bond funds which are getting increasing yields from higher bond rates. I also think real estate is a good place to be. The value of the real estate goes up in price and many riets pay a dividend.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Cash is a bad place to be during high inflation. Its losing value at the rate of inflation, but perhaps that's better than losing at the rate of the stock market.
I moved some of my money to short-term bond funds which are getting increasing yields from higher bond rates. I also think real estate is a good place to be. The value of the real estate goes up in price and many riets pay a dividend.
I'd be interested in seeing how the real estate sector plays out over the next year.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The opposite of cash is debt. Debt is usually the best thing in times of inflation. Meaning borrow money and buy assets that you can sell later at an inflated price (all while inflation makes your debt easier and easier to pay off). Physical real estate could be part of that purchase. But real estate in general hasn't done well (Vanguard's REIT VGSIX is down 9.75% in the last year) so you have to be careful what you buy in real estate.

This time around, the best strategy would have been investing in energy, but that has a lot more to do with political issues and wars than inflation.

Otherwise large value stocks have done better than other stocks in times of inflation (health care, IT, financials, consumer staples, communication, industrials, etc). Short term bonds aren't too bad either although then you are just doing about the same as cash. Cash or cash equivalents is often what people end up with, which as you said isn't good, but it does give lots of buying opportunities.

For me personally, I started shifting into S&P500 stocks and value stocks a few months ago when the price was down. I'm now looking into European and international value stocks as the dollar is quite strong making those stocks cheap. I do this through the mindless method: I previously chose my investment mix and these two areas are what I am currently low.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Rate hike odds have jumped to including a 16% chance of a full point hike.

The Food Price increases are very problematic.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
NVDA hits new lows for the year. Down 9.47% today. Still more lows to come.

Bear markets always seem to find a bottom, then the bottom falls out again. And again. And again.

This year reminds of the "buy the dip" rallies of 2000 and 2020. There were some extreme ups followed soon after by extreme downs.

Since the government still does not get it and keeps pumping more and more stimulus dollars into the economy, Bidenflation will continue to take its toll.

We we need is government austerity and 10% spending cuts across the board.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is freaking hilarious lol.

eKzQI7x.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: IEC and FelixDeCat

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Number of people taking Unemployment is trending downward again. Wall Street's not gonna be happy about that.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Bear markets always seem to find a bottom, then the bottom falls out again. And again. And again.

This year reminds of the "buy the dip" rallies of 2000 and 2020. There were some extreme ups followed soon after by extreme downs.

Since the government still does not get it and keeps pumping more and more stimulus dollars into the economy, Bidenflation will continue to take its toll.

We we need is government austerity and 10% spending cuts across the board.
Maybe the strength of the economy should not be a market but rather how well it's citizens have basic needs met vs insane wealth inequality, quality of life, good wages and more. The stock market is fine for people who have time to invest very long-term and hold, and the very wealthy that they can play and weather ups and downs. It's absolutely terrible to be the primary indicator of an economy's health.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's going to be a good buying day today. Need to get them in before the dividend date.