Discussion ***Official*** 2022 Stock Market Thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I got a couple brokered CDs at the very high 4's. Anything more than a year is no longer available though.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1671223661626.png

today's another down day.

6 month chart says double top so it's going to head back oct 2022 lows.
timber.
going more bonds in non-retirement acct for 2023.

in retirement portfolio, keeping the course with 60% stock/40% bond allocation

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
That depends on if you think tesla is a car company or not. Car companies trade around 10 PE, so if its a car company, then Tesla is way over valued at 30 PE. Or is Tesla is a technology company? Tech growth companies trade around 30 PE, so then its fairly valued.
I think of Tesla as a car company plus a battery company. Not sure that I'd call batteries "technology", but they are quite hot at the moment. So, $100/share would be a speculation play rather than a true valuation of the stock. I didn't think Tesla would increase it's rate of fall and do 1/3rd of that hypothetical $50/share drop in just 5 trading days.
1671568942026.png

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I got a couple brokered CDs at the very high 4's. Anything more than a year is no longer available though.
Sorta unrelated, but I just had a CD that was called. Never happened to me before. I simply ignored whether CDs were call-protected or not. The weird part is that the called CD was paying 2.5%. My noobness doesn't understand why a relatively low interest CD was called back.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I'm leaning towards the more pessimistic view of 2023, so I will just have to remind myself that it is long term investments, and that I haven't lost any money as long as I don't sell. So definitely not going to buy anymore stocks at this point.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Will someone please think of the children APEs? After some long pauses, at various price floors, APE is continuing to plunge. Even though many other crypto and meme stocks are soaring due to the fed, even that can't help the APEs. https://www.google.com/finance/quote/APE:NYSE
After plunging from $0.90 to $0.66 after that post, APEs are up 80% today. Now $1.23. Any ideas why?

Edit: I see now that AMC is requesting a shareholder meeting to convert APE shares back into AMC shares. This would make the APE shares the same price as AMC shares. So, APE has to rise, AMC has to fall, or both (if that goes through).

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Good time to buy Tesla now or wait...That is the question.

Probably won't chance it though, hard to tell where it ends up at this point.
I hope you waited. Tesla is on a direct downward spiral. Who knows when it will end, but I'm not touching it until $100/share and only then it would be a temporary play hoping for a quick buck on a bounce. And even then, I would have to strongly think about it before just plunging into this falling knife.

Edit: at the rate Tesla is dropping, it might hit that $100/share before New Years.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I hope you waited. Tesla is on a direct downward spiral. Who knows when it will end, but I'm not touching it until $100/share and only then it would be a temporary play hoping for a quick buck on a bounce. And even then, I would have to strongly think about it before just plunging into this falling knife.

Edit: at the rate Tesla is dropping, it might hit that $100/share before New Years.

I'm rooting for $69.42/share. ;)

Reactions: dullard

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Try $54.20 a share for a buy point. :eek:

Why? Because irony demands it!

Reactions: dullard

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Im up 7% for 2022. :)

Im still long and as result, my 7% gain for the year has now fallen to a 3.5% loss for the year. :(

Assuming worst case scenario, the QQQ closed at $268, could go to $230 by March 2023 if inflation does not start to drop rapidly. Im not selling now unless things start to look like QQQ sub $200 might happen.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah I don't really have much money to put into it anyway so didn't buy. I would only really be able to buy a few shares, and at that point I may as well just put that money into silver. :p

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Im still long and as result, my 7% gain for the year has now fallen to a 3.5% loss for the year. :(

Assuming worst case scenario, the QQQ closed at $268, could go to $230 by March 2023 if inflation does not start to drop rapidly. Im not selling now unless things start to look like QQQ sub $200 might happen.

You're working until you're 90. Plenty of time to average in with new money.

• Haha
Reactions: FelixDeCat

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
^ Couldn't find that one on the forum emoji list. It looks a bit like an excretion. And fitting. On a brighter note I got a Christmas present, a CD interest payment showed up today for the deposit to my checking made yesterday. I guess I can't blame some of us switching to CDs with 4% staring at you from the brokered ones.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
^ Couldn't find that one on the forum emoji list. It looks a bit like an excretion. And fitting. On a brighter note I got a Christmas present, a CD interest payment showed up today for the deposit to my checking made yesterday. I guess I can't blame some of us switching to CDs with 4% staring at you from the brokered ones.

Hopefully 2023 will be more like 2021....although its not likely. Probably another year of misery thanks to reckless government spending keeping the gas on inflation.

The answer is austerity in government. But now, we cant possibly implement it until at least 2024 as the 2023 budget is done.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Hopefully 2023 will be more like 2021....although its not likely. Probably another year of misery thanks to reckless government spending keeping the gas on inflation.

The answer is austerity in government. But now, we cant possibly implement it until at least 2024 as the 2023 budget is done.
That includes tax increases as well as spending cuts according to the definition of government austerity policy. A combination of both to reduce government budget deficits.... so if you're willing to have higher taxes..

Edit: I'm not opposed to some degree of tax hikes btw. But if others go by a different definition of govt austerity like lowering taxes a lot (like trickle down) while slashing spending then the debate will just go around in circles.

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Most banks stocks are way down from their highs and pay a good dividend.

I sold BNS very late last year to rebalance(turned out to be near peaks), and will be going back in again at the start of the new year.

Overall I was down 9% in 2022(Raytheon was my winner this year), and I except the markets to be stagnant next year.

Reactions: cytg111

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
and I except the markets to be stagnant next year.

I continue to believe it will entirely depend on whether they get their cut to zero or not. The favorite for the end of next year is where rates are currently. That's not exactly going to excite Wall Street.