Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That's a bummer man. Tough miss but if you could predict all of those jumps you wouldn't be posting here!

I would bore you with the sordid details of my BKKT love / hate relationship. Suffice to say I've lost as much as I made.

Now I just threw in the towel and hold 1100 shares, just have to holdl this crap I guess.

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Coinbase is now the 5th most downloaded app on the ios app store, beating Instagram Snapchat and Tiktok.

Closing in on IPO price.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
goodbye FAANG

now we have MAMAA
There's new sheriff in town. And his name is Tesla. Anything that doesn't include Tesla, Nvidia, AMD is missing the big picture. I would include Coinbase but that's too speculative for some but not me.

Coinbase is now the 5th most downloaded app on the ios app store, beating Instagram Snapchat and Tiktok.

Closing in on IPO price.
Love Coinbase and think the stock will be future multi bagger. Very bullish on Coinbase stock longterm.

Reactions: IEC and Roger Wilco

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
You gotta do your research and not waver in your beliefs and instincts that result from it.

For me the only reason not invest in FUBO (or at least sell options on it) is if you're convinced it'll go bankrupt eventually. Its in a good space and they have good ideas. So a while back, when FUBO was around 24 iirc, I sold 10 $30 puts for next Jan. So about 14 months from now. I got about $14000 for them. My thought process was "I'll buy FUBO at $16 any day of the year".

Today I'm pretty happy with that call.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pelosi is worth $120 mil. Its not a political issue.

Her husband is conveniently labeled as an "investor" and "venture capitalist'. He's the flunky that applies all of the info she gets so she isn't exposed by making trades herself.

Reactions: KMFJD

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What in the hell Avis?

Oh....so painful..

I was messing around with that stock here and there. In 2020 I bought 1,000 shares at $18, during the pandemic crash. I sold for a token amount a day later because Hertz was in deep doo doo at the time and trading for about $5, not yet even filed for the much expected bankruptcy.

Slowly but surely over time Avis (CAR) recovered in 2020, going back up to $50-$60. As earnings improved it was suddenly a $100 stock, although trading volume was kind of light. I would buy and sell it here and here. A quarter later, it was now a $150 stock.

Now its 90 days later. What is the price today?!!! FIVE HUNDRED DAMN DOLLARS PER SHARE!!!

I could have turned $18,000 into $500,000 in about a year and a half.

Needless to say, I am mad at myself. :)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm up like $120 on my BKKT 15 put. Should I just take it and call it a day?

I sold the stock for a tiny profit.

I read an interesting article on Seeking Alpha that seems to make sense:

The author suggests SHORTING the stock down to $20. He says that when the company files its S1 form to register all the SPAC shares, the number of outstanding shares will explode from what is widely reported as only being 50 million to about 350 million, which will likely cause the stock to crash.

The deadline for this filing is mid November, days before option expiration.

This is, of course, speculation. I think the company will release earnings either shortly before or after mid November and it will give a clearer picture of what BKKT is really worth. Should it be a $1.5 billion dollar company or a $10 billion dollar co?

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Does anyone here still remember the IRTC thing? Was that last year or this year? Everything sort of runs together since the pandemic.

I've been sitting on those 100 shares since then and its been a real turd. Today something happened. Not sure what.

This thread was a lot more active back then. What happened? Did everyone get burned by meme stocks?

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
This thread was a lot more active back then. What happened? Did everyone get burned by meme stocks?

TSLA did exactly what ponyo said it would and nobody wants to admit just how right he was? :D

I think it's getting trickier and trickier to pick single name winners which is what this thread used to be about. You have your usual suspects who somehow just manage to keep doing well over time, but everything else just kind of moves with the tide. Also, people have gotten more into mutual funds to cover a wider swath of industries and it's not exactly thrilling to talk Mutual Funds.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Anyone buying the dip in Zillow? It has gotten rocked and is down to 68 from a high of 200. Everyone I know loves using it though.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Anyone buying the dip in Zillow? It has gotten rocked and is down to 68 from a high of 200. Everyone I know loves using it though.
rumors on reddit are that Rocket Mortgage will buy zillow if it tanks and plug it into their Rocket Homes initiative.

Also heard the stock dip is nothing to worry about as their main business is still fine, just their venture into building/renovating was rocked by materials costs and should be back on track.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Ugh.

Sometimes seeing a stock price for the first time in a while is like seeing an old girlfriend who got really hot since you broke up.

I had MARA when it was in the 20's but I dumped it for some reason. To buy something else or avoid a margin call. Now its over $60.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Ugh.

Sometimes seeing a stock price for the first time in a while is like seeing an old girlfriend who got really hot since you broke up.

I had MARA when it was in the 20's but I dumped it for some reason. To buy something else or avoid a margin call. Now its over $60.

i sold amd at 2$

granted i only had 100 shares, but still

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
i sold amd at 2$

granted i only had 100 shares, but still

I had 1000 shares of AMD when it oscillated between $8 and $10.

I think it even dropped under $8 once and the next time it "popped" up to $11 I couldn't flush the turd fast enough. I think it was over $20 fairly quickly after that. The thought of it makes me MAD.

I thought I was so smart back then. Now I've at least accepted the fact I know nothing. That gave me a decent, solid starting point. If you think you know every damn thing its hard to make room in your stupid head for the info that really matters.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Ugh.

I had $MARA in the $2's last year, but I didn't trust its ability to follow crypto pricing at the time. Super small share size I'm sure as well since I was brand new to the whole watching stocks thing back then.

I'm definitely no veteran, but I've become more "diamond handed" now (still nowhere near the real diamond handed...) after taking some losses... you just get used to it.