Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I was so surprised to see the market up on Friday I sold another portion before the close. Glad I did. I knew it was only getting worse.

By the time we hit bottom we are going to see the best buying opportunity since 2008.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I was so surprised to see the market up on Friday I sold another portion before the close. Glad I did. I knew it was only getting worse.

By the time we hit bottom we are going to see the best buying opportunity since 2008.

It would have to fall really far to be a "best buying opportunity". Like 60,70%. Something tells me you aren't going to be wanting to buy if it falls that far.

Unemployment is going to jump to double digits pretty quickly. I think you are underestimating the impact these closures will have on the economy, plus the oil shock.

Nov 8, 2012
It would have to fall really far to be a "best buying opportunity". Like 60,70%. Something tells me you aren't going to be wanting to buy if it falls that far.

Unemployment is going to jump to double digits pretty quickly. I think you are underestimating the impact these closures will have on the economy, plus the oil shock.

Well, there's some obvious presumptions of us (the investor) not losing our jobs. But in general, yeah, if the market falls that far I will invest the shit out of it.

I've always said this - if the market never recovers you have a fuckton more important shit to worry about than a worthless dollar.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well, there's some obvious presumptions of us (the investor) not losing our jobs. But in general, yeah, if the market falls that far I will invest the shit out of it.

I've always said this - if the market never recovers you have a fuckton more important shit to worry about than a worthless dollar.
Thats where your investment in canned foods and shotgun shells pays off.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1
Nov 8, 2012
This is going to sound bad - but are hard economic times worth (potentially) saving 2% of humans?

It would be ironic if after this is all said and done that if AFTER the fact - more people die from the economic depression globally than the actual virus.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
and the dow opens at -2500 points (-11%)?!
circuit breakers instantly kick in 1st second of trade.

commodities market still open.
oil freefalling to $28.65/barrel.
Love printing $!!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is going to sound bad - but are hard economic times worth (potentially) saving 2% of humans?

It would be ironic if after this is all said and done that if AFTER the fact - more people die from the economic depression globally than the actual virus.

The lower mortality figures are with at least a somewhat functional healthcare system. Italy is spiking because their's is swamped.

Really would be better just to pass the biggest stimulus we can to carry us through and tell everybody to stay home for a few weeks. Then you can turn stuff back on as testing is available and procedures to stamp out clusters before they happen are implemented.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Still time to open a CD if you want to earn SOMETHING on your bank account this year lol. https://www.discover.com/online-banking/cd/

1.75% at my Discover bank.
Oh hell no. I need my money liquid ready to buy. You're crazy if plan on staying in CD this year and not planning on taking advantage of buying opportunity that's to come. Last night I was thinking this was possibly Great Depression 2.0. After sleeping on it, I think this is repeat of Great Recession 2.0.

Reactions: Bitek

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
This is traders market now. If you're playing on the short side, you have about 3-4 weeks before risk/reward setup starts becoming unfavorable. Because longterm the market is going to recover.