Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
"Capitalism was never meant to be about maximizing short-term shareholder value." - George Zimmer

Tailored Brands is considering bankruptcy. They own Mens Warehouse and Joseph A Bank. The founder of Mens Warehouse, George Zimmer was fired in 2013 and the company nearly went bankrupt a few years later. Now this time, they are toast.

Had they kept George around, things might have been different, who knows.

Here is a really good read if you have the time. Its from 2016, but there are pearls of wisdom from a long time entrepreneur:

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201606/tom-foster/george-zimmer-mens-wearhouse.html

None of that surprises me. All we need are the collared shirt - no pants with the new webcam working standard :p

But yeah, no seriously - the concept of paying $300 for a complete shit suit at places like Men's wearhouse baffles me.

Christ, pony up about $500 and you can get an ACTUAL DECENT legit wool Italian suit instead of the polyester shit they make them out of for the kids.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Hmmm so based on HTZ I should be buying all the Tailored Brands stock I can get

I think that ship has sailed. Everyone's stimulus checks are already spent; however if we get another round of stimulus checks maybe it does go to the moon.

Nov 8, 2012
"Capitalism was never meant to be about maximizing short-term shareholder value." - George Zimmer

Tailored Brands is considering bankruptcy. They own Mens Warehouse and Joseph A Bank. The founder of Mens Warehouse, George Zimmer was fired in 2013 and the company nearly went bankrupt a few years later. Now this time, they are toast.

Had they kept George around, things might have been different, who knows.

Here is a really good read if you have the time. Its from 2016, but there are pearls of wisdom from a long time entrepreneur:

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201606/tom-foster/george-zimmer-mens-wearhouse.html

I actually read that whole thing last night - and it is pretty interesting.

You have to wonder who is right there.... I mean, the people on his board were people that he groomed, taught, and personally approved of to put them up in such positions....

Yet the others were (according to Zimmer) the ones who wanted double up executive pay and shit like that. He mentioned that he has like a $500k salary and donated it to an employee scholarship fund or something.

But... I mean... the board had to UNANIMOUSLY agree to out him? If these are all people you groomed and help become successful, I can't imagine what the fuck you're doing to make them all turn against you.

Regardless, Men's Wearhouse is shit ;) It definitely went downhill when they kicked him out... But I mean... suits just aren't worn anymore except in certain industries (mostly legal).

I live by and will die by ALWAYS wearing one to a job interview though.... Plenty of kids these days don't.

Reactions: IEC and FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Its official.....gold spot hit a record high of $2005 early this morning. Futures contract pulling back however to $1975.

Assuming the worst case scenario for the election - a divided nation attempting to follow two leaders who claim to have won, who knows how that would play out.

When Trump was elected in 2016 I had a dream about civil chaos. Hopefully that does not come to pass. I pray for a peaceful election and stable markets. :)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Apple declared a 4 for 1 split that goes into effect for share owners on Aug 24 and for trading on Aug 31, Last time they split was 2014 allowing shares to be bought at close to $100 each. Same thing here depending on what happens to price between now and the Aug dates. Stock price went from $384 to over $407 after hours yesterday.

Just a heads-up.

I have about 200 shares that are already more than $50,000 in the black so I want to see a meteoric rise in price after the split.

edit: thanks ponyo. I don't know what I was thinking.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I haven't been keeping up but I assume that the record highs for gold have something to do with how much money is in the system. That was the same logic for the 2012 peak. What people didn't understand though, was that all of the QE programs back then didn't matter since the money being created was just going straight into bank excess reserves. It could only cause problems if banks started to use the excess reserves to make lots and lots of new loans.

This time though, most if not all of the money went directly into the economy - stimulus checks, Payroll Protection Program, unemployment, etc., etc. Add a dovish Fed and the fear seems more real.

But if large swaths of the population are either living-in-their-car broke or just barely making it, that seems more like the path to deflation rather inflation. You need high demand for limited resources to stimulate jinflation and if everybody is struggling, you're not going to get that.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Amazon declared a 4 for 1 split that goes into effect for share owners on Aug 24 and for trading on Aug 31, Last time they split was 2014 allowing shares to be bought at close to $100 each. Same thing here depending on what happens to price between now and the Aug dates. Stock price went from $384 to over $407 after hours yesterday.

Just a heads-up.

I have about 200 shares that are already more than $50,000 in the black so I want to see a meteoric rise in price after the split.
You mean Apple. They're great company. I wish I could go back in time and get back the 15,000 shares of Apple I had in 2001. Apple has since split 2:1, 7:1, and now 4:1. If I kept those 15,000 Apple shares I bought when Apple total market cap was only $4 billion, it would be 840,000 shares of Apple after this upcoming 4:1 split worth over $85 million. LOL. Never in my wildest dream did I think Apple would grow to be the world's most valuable company in 20 years. But I learned valuable lesson from that mistake. Look forward to future trends and invest in companies that make innovative products its owners really love.

PS, I wouldn't count on Apple doubling from here anytime soon. Apple is possibly the world's best company but it's already close to $1.7 trillion market cap. If it was to double, that would mean like $3.4 trillion market cap. We're in crazy tech market right now but even that would be a stretch imo.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
You need high demand for limited resources to stimulate inflation and if everybody is struggling, you're not going to get that.

My discretionary spending is almost nothing since late February.

Even the people with money... aren't spending. What can you (safely) spend it on?

Reactions: Charmonium

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
But if large swaths of the population are either living-in-their-car broke or just barely making it, that seems more like the path to deflation rather inflation. You need high demand for limited resources to stimulate jinflation and if everybody is struggling, you're not going to get that.

That would work if we still had a large middle class. But because of modern day wealth inequality, most of the population no longer really has an influence on stock prices, housing prices, etc. Now add printing of money like never before seen: guess where that money will end up? To the small fraction of the population that does influence stock prices, housing prices, etc.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
LOL. Apple added over $175 billion in market cap today and is now worth $1.842 trillion! And people were complaining and calling Tesla crazy overvalued for being valued at $266 billion. Apple added 2/3 of Tesla's total market cap today! Just in 1 day.

Personally, I loved the move in Apple today. Apple showed it still had it and can still move up big. That 4:1 stock split is going to hurt its volatility so it's going to move like grandpa after the split. Apple will have more than 16 billion shares outstanding after the 4:1 split. Meanwhile, Tesla only has 186 million shares outstanding. Huge difference in number of shares and why TSLA can move like a rocket up or down. But I expect TSLA to do its first ever stock split very soon. Possibility at its shareholders meeting on Sept. 22. I'm guessing possible 10:1 split. We shall see.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
LOL. Apple added over $175 billion in market cap today and is now worth $1.842 trillion! And people were complaining and calling Tesla crazy overvalued for being valued at $266 billion. Apple added 2/3 of Tesla's total market cap today! Just in 1 day.

Personally, I loved the move in Apple today. Apple showed it still had it and can still move up big. That 4:1 stock split is going to hurt its volatility so it's going to move like grandpa after the split. Apple will have more than 16 billion shares outstanding after the 4:1 split. Meanwhile, Tesla only has 186 million shares outstanding. Huge difference in number of shares and why TSLA can move like a rocket up or down. But I expect TSLA to do its first ever stock split very soon. Possibility at its shareholders meeting on Sept. 22. I'm guessing possible 10:1 split. We shall see.

they should give you a time slot on jim cramer's show lol

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Apple declared a 4 for 1 split that goes into effect for share owners on Aug 24 and for trading on Aug 31, Last time they split was 2014 allowing shares to be bought at close to $100 each. Same thing here depending on what happens to price between now and the Aug dates. Stock price went from $384 to over $407 after hours yesterday.

Just a heads-up.

When Apple first broke 200 and topped out at 225 in 2018 my father owned 200 shares and had a small profit. Then Apple Iphone sales slowed and the stock plummeted to $180. He sold at a small loss. The stock continued to bounce up and down with analysts upgrading and downgrading the stock. The bottom fell out of the entire market taking Apple with it, hitting a low of $145 a few months later.

Much of the selling at that point was related to Fed rate hikes that were perceived to have gone too far and an ongoing trade schism with China. The the Fed eased, people ignored slowing iPhone sales and looked at service revenue growth and the entire market went back up. Apple has since doubled.

I've never used an Apple product, but that is stock you buy on the dip. ;)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Flipped some Workhorse, sold too soon. They make electric motors for vehicles and own 10% of LordsTown Motors which will merge with DPHC to form a SPAC. Bought 1,000 DPHC @ 11.89, current price $13 in aftermarket trading.

Production of low cost consumer grade pickups starts next year.

Last edited:

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
1596559130085.png

Because if you want to buy a 1oz gold medallion at spot for a cat named Bitcoin, it'll cost you over $2000 to do that right now.

Also, it may be a great time to take out a low interest rate loan as their rates may be lower than the coming officially reported inflation numbers: https://apkmetro.com/fed-weighs-abandoning-pre-emptive-rate-moves-to-curb-inflation

Oh, and this all probably means stocks will keep going up up and away.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
View attachment 27486

Because if you want to buy a 1oz gold medallion at spot for a cat named Bitcoin, it'll cost you over $2000 to do that right now.
Physical gold is expensive right now. Even generic 1 oz gold bars are selling for $2,100 right now on Apmex.

https://www.apmex.com/category/1000...ulardesc&f_metalname=gold&f_allAvailable=true

And silver is rocking too. JM Bullion is paying $29.15 to buyback 1 oz American Silver Eagles.

https://www.jmbullion.com/sell-to-us/

Nov 8, 2012
Thoughts on a buy for Carnival / Royal Caribbean?

Are people getting restless and wanting to travel via boat again? Flights are starting to fill as well though obviously attendance is still down drastically (a lot of it is just less routes in general).

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital out with their Q2 2020 letter and of course Einhorn under performed yet again. :D Greenlight returned 1% while S&P 500 was up 20.5%. With Einhorn, you lose money when the market is down. And when the market is up, you still don't make money. And you get to pay 2% in annual fee and 20% of the little or no profit you make to Einhorn for the privilege of having him burn your money. lol.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4364188-greenlight-capital-q2-2020-letter

Dude is so stubborn. He's never wrong, only the market. And he's so bitter about Tesla and Elon kicking his ass on his short position that it's now gone far beyond business to personal. He thinks Tesla is fraud like Wirecard. lol. Yeah, good luck with that. At the rate Einhorn is under performing and losing money, he's going to have to close shop and just manage the family office money like all the other one trick ponies.