Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I can't even afford one Tesla stock let alone 100. :p (have to buy in groups of 100 with the site I'm on)

My Victoria Gold stocks are doing well though... if only I had bought more of those. I could make a couple 100 in profit if I sold now.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yet another EV carmaker will be listed ....

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese electric vehicle (EV) maker Li Auto Inc, backed by food delivery giant Meituan Dianping, has filed for a U.S. initial public offering.

The move, announced on Friday, comes as share prices of EV makers including Tesla Inc and Nio Inc have surged in recent months.

Five-year-old Li Auto, formerly known as CHJ Automotive, is building Li ONE extended-range electric sport-utility vehicles in China's eastern city of Changzhou.

Unlike rival Tesla and Nio's pure battery electric vehicles, Li ONE allows drivers to charge their cars with electricity or gasoline. Li Auto has 21 showrooms in China, the world's biggest auto market, and aims to operate 60 by the end of this year.

The Beijing-based company, led by chief executive Li Xiang, sold 9,666 vehicles in the first six months this year. China's overall electric vehicle market, however, fell for the twelfth straight month in June.

In a filing to U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Li Auto said it intends to list its shares on the Nasdaq under the symbol "LI" .

Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and UBS are the underwriters for the IPO. Reuters reported in January that Li Auto filed for a U.S. initial public offering, aiming to raise at least $500 million, citing people familiar with the matter.

It was only a matter of time.

But I wonder how they will be able to list new shares since at there was a push in Washington to DELIST all Chinese stocks? Also, wasnt the NASDAQ and NYSE supposed to change reporting requirements for Chinese companies?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The hammer finally to drop on Chinese listed stocks:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration plans to soon scrap a 2013 agreement between U.S. and Chinese auditing authorities, a senior State Department official said, a move that could foreshadow a broader crackdown on U.S.-listed Chinese firms under fire for sidestepping American disclosure rules.

The deal, which set up a process for a U.S. auditing watchdog to seek documents in enforcement cases against Chinese auditors, was initially welcomed as a breakthrough in U.S. efforts to gain access to closely guarded Chinese financial information and bestowed a mark of legitimacy on Chinese regulators.

But the watchdog, known as the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), has long complained of China's failure to grant requests, meaning scant insight into audits of Chinese firms that trade on U.S. exchanges.
The lack of transparency has prompted administration officials to lay the groundwork to exit the deal soon, according to Keith Krach, undersecretary for economic growth, energy and the environment, in a sign the PCAOB will give up on efforts to secure information from the Chinese.

"The action is imminent," Krach said on Monday in an emailed response to questions. "This is a National Security issue because we cannot continue to afford to put American shareholders at risk, to put American companies at a disadvantage and allow our preeminence of being the gold standard for financial markets to erode."

(in depth story continues....)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I was so tempted to short Moderna post market yesterday. It hit almost $90 when the news broke last night. Today it hit a low of $78 on profit taking before rebounding. Hard to say what happens next. Could have made a quick short buck.

What I've noticed about these high flying covid plays like Altimmune that hit a high of $33 before pulling back to $23 today was that its always best to wait if you are interested.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone riding SPCE? I got in around ~16.

Can someone explain to me why I am loosing money on Gilead? I figure I am just long on it now, but HAD expected a boost!

Also, preemptive right on BioInvent International AB at 1.38sek .it looks like a nobrainer hell yea, right?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Can someone explain to me why I am loosing money on Gilead? I figure I am just long on it now, but HAD expected a boost!

You aren't down much and it has held up well compared to so many other stocks. I suspect it hasn't gotten a pop because Remdisivir isn't much of a panecia. It only reduced mortality of COVID-19 by 3% and there isn't much information on how many people are getting it.

Reactions: cytg111

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Anyone riding SPCE? I got in around ~16.

Also, preemptive right on BioInvent International AB at 1.38sek .it looks like a nobrainer hell yea, right?

I traded Spice this week. Damn thing about Spice is I bought the shares late afternoon at $20.50, and one hour later the stock fell to $17 when the entire market sold off on the LA closure news. Sold before it went that low.

I dont know about Gilead, but if dont sell you wont lose anything.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
NIO looks like its breaking down back to $10

LOL

I bought 20 $13 put options for next week on Wednesday. The stock would not surrender that price so I got 99% of the money back when the shares were weak.

24 hours later, those puts are now up 120%. Doh!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
store shelves are bare, atms around here are running out of cash.... when does it all catch up to the market?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
store shelves are bare, atms around here are running out of cash.... when does it all catch up to the market?
Ask yourself the more important question first: why would it catch up to the market? The market has very little to do with the current economy. You could have as accurately stated: "My arms are bare, my ATV is running out of gas.... when does it all catch up to the market?" or any other completely unrelated statements that have nothing to do with the market.

RearAdmiral was correct. As long as the governments are printing money (trillions of dollars), it has to go somewhere and the best place right now to put it is in the market.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
will this then be called the " made it rain" bubble in a few years? or it just does not matter any more, markets and real life are so disconnected and debt is just a word that gets thrown around sometimes, but functionally meaningless.

i know, deep thoughts. haha. i'm just having a little trouble figuring out what the hell to do to keep my family in a good place.

over 2 years worth of salary in the markets, and real-estate investments. right now i'm mowing lawns to try to make a little extra and we are trying to pay off debt as fast as possible.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
will this then be called the " made it rain" bubble in a few years? or it just does not matter any more, markets and real life are so disconnected and debt is just a word that gets thrown around sometimes, but functionally meaningless.
In 2016 Trump promised massive deficit spending (to possibly later be turned around).

But so did Clinton (albeit to a much lower degree)

This debt wasn't a surprise. And in the history of the world, short term debt has made stock markets soar. The problem only comes when the debt is due. But, politicians are long gone by then and it is someone else's problem.

We need deficit hawks back:
But, deficit hawks are political losers in a two-party system. As long as one party can (rightfully) claim to raise the economy and stock markets in the short term with more spending (infrastructure, military, education, welfare) while cutting taxes, that person wins the election.

Reactions: herm0016

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The shelves here are full, ATMs have plenty of cash, and roads are full of traffic and cars.

But gold is now around $1,840 /oz and silver is above $21 /oz. Last time silver broke $21 was back in 2016. So there are people worried about all this printing and longterm debt.
https://www.kitco.com/market/

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007

i know, deep thoughts. haha. i'm just having a little trouble figuring out what the hell to do to keep my family in a good place.

over 2 years worth of salary in the markets, and real-estate investments. right now i'm mowing lawns to try to make a little extra and we are trying to pay off debt as fast as possible.

It will be inflated away. Unfortunately the problem (as usual) is wages won't really keep up with it - but that's a problem for later down the line.

This fall I may start exploring the job market to see just how far I can push my base salary (or hourly rate if I decide to continue this route). I may even renegotiate with my current employer and state government printing of money as my reason - have to stay ahead of the asset inflation. :p

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Awesome! Ridding any "unhealthy" debt will be a huge help when a downturn comes. As long as you can afford mortgage / food if stuff hits the fan, most should be fine really.