Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I'd be shocked if we don't see this in a hurry this morning. :confused:
dow down -1850 points at opening bell :eek:

that -7.3%
so why didn't the market halt trigger activate?

edit:
well, that was fast.. market halted 3min into trading day.
I guess the trigger was the s&P and not the dow

edit2: oil still trading?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
So is the bull market officially over?

I noticed some stock market news sites are slow or timing out. Marketwatch is down, Seeking alpha is slow. Everyone is panicing and trying to research what to do next.

I am lucky to have some dry powder. Will wait until the volatility ends to put it to work.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So is the bull market officially over?

I noticed some stock market news sites are slow or timing out. Marketwatch is down, Seeking alpha is slow. Everyone is panicing and trying to research what to do next.

I am lucky to have some dry powder. Will wait until the volatility ends to put it to work.
I'm in watch mode. I'll let the big boys play.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
oil trading steady between 32.4 and 32.5 during this market halt.
guess commodities aren't affected by this halt

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
markets resume.
dow now down -2000 pts :eek:
that halt didn't do much

Nov 8, 2012
lol got this from my Robinhood newsletter.....

Basically a new company that wants to act like a new Netflix - but with a slight twist of making things that are 8-10 minute episodes? Anyone else find this dumb?

Why does every start-up these days have to be just a rehashed version of a product that already exists? I guess they think that they can just be the new take-over fad akin to Myspace falling to Facebook or something.

Don't use it as a verb...
Quibi wants to be a noun. The adorably-named mobile video startup — short for "quick bites" — just raised a not-so-adorable $750M in additional cash from its private investors (it hasn't IPO'd yet). That brings Quibi's total fundraise to a gargantuan $1.75B — and it doesn't even launch until April 6th:

• Quibi is like a mobile-only Netflix, but its movies and video series are broken into 8-10 minute episodes (Quibi wants 8-10 minutes to be known as 1 "Quibi"). It's for people with short attention spans (aka, all of u-
  • The world has not yet tasted a Quibi, making its value all the more surprising — Quibi's massive fundraise is rare for a pre-launch startup (though having Disney and Comcast as investors, and Shrek-creator Jeffery Katzenberg as co-founder definitely helps).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Basically a new company that wants to act like a new Netflix - but with a slight twist of making things that are 8-10 minute episodes? Anyone else find this dumb?

Sounds more like they looked at all the Youtube vids around that length with a crap-ton of likes and were like "I know what to do".

Problem is Youtube is random video's mostly not "episodes"... so I agree sounds dumb.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Why does every start-up these days have to be just a rehashed version of a product that already exists? I guess they think that they can just be the new take-over fad akin to Myspace falling to Facebook or something.
how many min is a current 30min show w/o commercials?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Warner Brothers cartoons were 6-10 minutes. Seems like a winning time frame.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sold my $23 SQQQ calls at $5 before the halt. Last short to take profits is a rotten egg.

Good luck everybody.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
how many min is a current 30min show w/o commercials?

Usually somewhere between 22-25m depending on the show.

Fake edit: I was kinda close - based on google answer:

Hour long shows used to be around 45-47 mins. These days it's around 41-42 min (on traditional networks). For half hour shows, it's around 21-22 mins these days and used to be around 25 or so

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

If twitter can make a fortune by creating a glorified forum/email list that limits you to 240 characters and vine can make a fortune by making videos that are 6 seconds, then surely making another app that arbitrarily limits you to a certain minimal time frame will make you rich. ;)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If twitter can make a fortune by creating a glorified forum/email list that limits you to 240 characters and vine can make a fortune by making videos that are 6 seconds, then surely making another app that arbitrarily limits you to a certain minimal time frame will make you rich. ;)
Who knew that The Terrance and Phillip Show would be prophetic?

Reactions: Captante

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I am eyeing XOm, but if the price war continues, it might get even lower. On the other hand, AMD has dropped a bit as well. Between these two, its hard to decide.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I can't read these things right. I sold all my AMD stock right after the open today with the intention of shorting. And I've already lost hundreds (of usd) by mid day because AMD went UP two points after its initial big drop just after the market's open.

I guess I should not have sold so early, should've waited for a bounce up. But then if I sold at that point who's to say whether or not it kept going up? edit - not using any margin borrowing, doing it with brokerage cash.

Last edited: