Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
I still have my AMD and nVidia from long ago..when do I take profits? They're mainly in my retirement accounts.
Usually atleast 2 to 3 years before your retirement. As you get closer to retirement, your equity allocation should keep decreasing.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Bought small starter position in APHA at $8.16 this morning. Just enough to keep it on my screen and interested. There's the House vote on Wednesday and UN Commission vote later this week on whether to remove cannabis from its list of narcotic drugs so I don't want to take too large position in case we get sell on the news event. But I am bullish on cannabis stocks and want to buy both CGC and APHA.

EDIT: added more APHA at $7.75.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
Crazy times. Global pandemic. number of cases are spiking all over.... Yet... the best November ever for stocks in all of history.

Hopefully people sober up when sales aren't up-to-par for the holiday season.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Sold some TSLA December 04 $580 puts for $19.45 each. I sold close to ITM because I actually want to get assigned. If it hits, then I'll sell the shares to S&P on Dec 18th. If it expires worthless, I pocket the premium.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
ESPP is such a joke. Purchase for this quarter just happened at fiancee’s company .. stock worth $400 now, purchased at $181 today. Luckily I told her to start maxing it out earlier this year.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Ohh. A 15% discount is nice. Mine is only 5% on a relatively stable stock, so I don't even bother.

Still kind of like a 5% raise minimum on whatever you put in, assuming you sell immediately. Whether that’s worth the effort is the question ..

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
XPEV fell nearly 11% today.. any particular reason why? looks kinda attractive in the low 50's

Nov 8, 2012
Still kind of like a 5% raise minimum on whatever you put in, assuming you sell immediately. Whether that’s worth the effort is the question ..

I think most make you hold on to it for at least a 1 quarter and that plays into the risk.

Most also don't get that price advantage to my knowledge.

I agree if it's just a 5% discount - I wouldn't go for it. If it was 5% discount with a buying price advantage, I would. Thankfully mine is 15% with the price advantage, so I gladly participate.

Dec 10, 2005
I thought about that, but there is a $40 minimum fee when selling, and there is also no advantaged purchase price (just 5% off price on last day of quarter). Coupled with the only modest amount I'd contribute, the profits would be fairly small. Not worth it for the increased tax headache and the modest increase in risk (since I already carry the risk of working for my employer).

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Mine is 15% with a 2 year look back. So lowest price over the last 2 years (on specific buy-in dates). I put in the full 10% gross.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
XPEV fell nearly 11% today.. any particular reason why? looks kinda attractive in the low 50's

All the EV cos got smashed....HARD.... except Tesla (and non EV co GM):

Capture.JPG

If you know how market making works (most people dont), the banks/people/institutions that hold large stock and option positions for trade are called market participants (MPID on Level 2). Most things are run by robots these days but more times than not the largest participants of them all in a stock - the market makers - will manually intervene.

So lets say you have an EV company thats doing really well. There is nothing wrong with the company, earnings were good or acceptable, and sales are going great. The stock has rallied tremendously because of all this. Its a good, investable stock.

ON DAYS like you see in the watch list above, despite everything I mentioned in the last paragraph, if one or more companies in the same business as your favorite company are doing poorly because of some bad news, then its likely their negativity will spread to ALL companies in the same sector...as you see above...including your favorite EV co.

The role of market makers is to be the buyer of last resort. If two EV companies are doing bad in the market, you are likely to cram down the price of the good EV stock you make a market in figuring that whoever holds this stock is likely to start selling it. Being that you have to be on the other end of the transactions, you PREEMPTIVELY knock out all the bids to a price you think is fair and offer your inventory for sale at the lowered price. Sometimes people start buying at the discount and price goes back up.

NKLA was continuing to fall on yesterdays move by GM not to take an equity stake, and KNDI was killing the Chinese EVs after notorious short seller Hindenberg questioned their sales. That contagion spread to most all EV co's today and profit taking, short selling and put buying ensued.

And there you have it.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Crazy times. Global pandemic. number of cases are spiking all over.... Yet... the best November ever for stocks in all of history.

Hopefully people sober up when sales aren't up-to-par for the holiday season.

just more evidence, if you need it, that market |= economy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
All the EV cos got smashed....HARD.... except Tesla (and non EV co GM):

Oh no! I'm now only up ~110%!
321gk9f.png

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
EV premarket not looking good at the moment....

View attachment 34932

Out of those, the motley fool believes GM is the best EV stock to buy for the long run. They had one of the first EVs, the "bolt" and have a lot of experience making cars. Unfortunately for them and their stock price, they did have a bankruptcy recently and they aren't sexy as they don't make tequila, flame-throwers and shorts.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Sold TSLA Dec11 $550 puts and bought more TSLA Jan15 $400 calls. I'm done for the day. What a rush!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Out of those, the motley fool believes GM is the best EV stock to buy for the long run. They had one of the first EVs, the "bolt" and have a lot of experience making cars. Unfortunately for them and their stock price, they did have a bankruptcy recently and they aren't sexy as they don't make tequila, flame-throwers and shorts.

Motley Fool doesn't believe GM is the best EV stock. That's Tim Green the writer who believes GM is the best EV stock since he owns the dog. Motley Fool owns Tesla shares and not GM. If Motley Fool believed GM was the better long run stock, they would own GM and not Tesla.

Tim Green is a moron.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

GM has been around forever and the 2009 BR was due to 80 years of accumulated debt to the worthless unions. They are definitely a value play but likely wont see Tesla like returns.....until they nix the unions. ;)

Nov 8, 2012
GM/Ford for EV vehicles is funny.

The only thing they have going for them is they are still selling $70k+ gas-guzzling trucks like hot-cakes.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The gain on my Pfizer investment is almost $20,000 by now (if you include the Viatris shares).

*does the happy dance*

I might end up breaking a milestone this year I didn't think I had a chance at.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
GM/Ford for EV vehicles is funny.

The only thing they have going for them is they are still selling $70k+ gas-guzzling trucks like hot-cakes.
Cybertruck will be game changer. Delivery starts in 2022. It's going to be iconic vehicle. I can't wait to get mine.

I watched interview Elon did yesterday at the magazine award show in Germany. During the interview, Elon said Tesla would be open to merger with legacy automaker but he wouldn't do hostile one. I've been thinking about what Elon said and VW keeps popping in my head. I think there's small chance VW could ask for merger with Tesla. Herbert Diess, chairman of VW, greatly admires Elon and Tesla and is trying his hardest to push VW to completely electric. Diess actually lost his VW CEO title this year and was pushed out from that role because the old guards at Porsche saw Diess as a threat. It's amazing really. Diess doesn't want VW to suffer the same fate as Nokia. Yet he's getting pushback at VW for his desire for quick change to all EV. But if VW becomes part of Tesla, there would be no pushback and Diess would win because VW will live and thrive under Elon and Tesla. Something to watch going forward.

Here's Herbert Diess letter on how he's trying to save Volkswagon.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-we-transform-volkswagen-herbert-diess/

I have high confidence VW will survive the transition to EV. I don't have the same faith with GM and Ford. I think one or both will be toast and will be bought for scraps by the Chinese.

Reactions: woodman1999