OFFICIAL 2011 goals report, 2012 new goals thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
2012 goals:
1) 1 rep bench 235 (260 stretch goal) (upadted from 225/250)
2) get to sub 195 pounds (180 is my long term goal)
3) 32" waist (pretty much the long term goal)
4) 8K (10K stretch goal)
5) Touch a 10' basketball rim again. (4" shy right now)
6) Get a damned squat rack
7) Close a captains of crunch #2 gripper (and buy them) 5 times in a row

1) Having checked since new years. I ahve made osme small gains though. Probably could do 210 anyway
2) Currently at 199.2 but that is weight fluctations. Probably averaging 204 right now. Down about 6-8 pounds.
3) Not sure but I might be there right now. Definitely 33" if not 32"
4) Ya, this is not going well.
5) Closer I think but not sure if this is a realistic goal.
6) not yet
7) Thinking about ordering soon. $20 for a #1

Sep 29, 2004
2012 goals:
4) 8K (10K stretch goal)

Made a new friend via basketball that has been lifting for 20 years. He is new to the area so we have started lifting together. Guy knows alot about lifting.

So today I checked out my one rep max for bench. 225! Not bad seeing that my previous best was 205. My friend says that my 235 goal by end of year will be no problem. I think my longer term goal is to put up 300 pounds.

And I ordered a rack yesterday.

UPDATES:
1) Bench 235 ... currently 225
2) 195 pound body weight ... down from 212 to about 204.
3) 32" waist ... currently a snug 34"
4) 8K ... nope
5) touch 10' basketball rim .... closer but still have a few inches to go.
6) buy squat rack .... ordered yesterday (there is a thread about it somewhere)
7) Close captains of Crunch #2 gripper .... now own #1 and #2 and can close #1 after 2 weeks at it.

neocpp

Jan 16, 2011
Since this is up..

1. Broke 4:40 in the mile. It actually was a lot easier than I imagined, probably thanks to ridiculous amounts of base. 4:38.9 in a solo time trial. Hoping for 4:35 or so in a race.

2. Still have not run an official marathon. Maybe later in the year.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
My goals for 2012:

1. Get fit enough to complete the Oil Creek 100 Mile trail race in under 24 hours.
2. Lose weight. Get down to 170 by race weekend.
3. Keep up my whole body strength thru body weight circuit training.
4. Run 2000 or more miles.

Good luck to you all in 2012.
Status update:

1. We moved to FL so now I'm training for the Wild Sebastian 100. Going well so far.
2. Losing weight, I can tell by my clothes and how my face is looking. But my scale was broken in our move and I can't weigh myself in the meantime.
3. At least 2 strength sessions per week. Plus I'm going to work on cross training with my road bike, maybe once per week.
4. Because of the move I may not make my goal, but I am ramping up my mileage. Will be at over 700 miles for the year by the end of the month. I may make it...

Keep up the good work everyone.

rga

Nov 9, 2011
So I wanted to add my goals to this thread because I started SL5x5 on Thursday morning, and I'm going to for my first B workout tomorrow morning.

1. Get through the first 12 weeks without missing a work out.

That's it. If I can follow that workout as laid out, increase the weight every workout, and continue eating well, I'll be happy in 12 weeks, and if I have any particular lifting goals I'd like to achieve, I'll edit this post.

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
I never set any goals for 2011 except for weight loss. I'm pretty proud of what I've done, even though I made excuses for the first 2 months and didn't get started until March. I've lost 36 pounds so far. It was hard to get motiation to get started, but easy to keep going once the results started showing.

Goals for 2012 are much more ambitious (and exciting!):

Chinups - 10 - I can almost do 2
Pushups (real ones, not girl ones!) - 50
Run 5k race - hopefully in May - currently can run 2.5km on treadmill no problem
Weight - 130 lbs
Climb Kilimanjaro - September
Complete Tough Mudder http://toughmudder.com/ - October - this one is dependant on my team actually forming

Updates:

Chinups - 5
Pushups - I still haven't tested my max yet. Will do this tonight!
Ran 5k race April 29th. 31:33.5 Personal Best! Started out too fast and the last km was very rough. Signed up for 10k in July.
Weight - Down 54 pounds. 4 more to go. (Then an additional 5 more because I keep lowering my goal. Once I get to the newest goal I'll have lost 1/3 of my original weight.)
Climb Kili - Booked for September
Tough Mudder - Booked for October. Signed up for 2 other shorter mud runs before then, just to get a taste of what I'm getting myself into. :)

Edit: Only 20 pushups. :( Going to have to work on that.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
2012 goals:
4) 8K (10K stretch goal)

Ran 5.15 miles last night. I think the GPS on my phone was off as normal. Probably 4.9 miles or so in reality. but I use the GPS as my goal measurer. So, goal attained! Not bad. Last best run was 3.84 miles. I managed my pace well last night and it jsut worked out. At 3 miles i said one more. At 4 miles, I said screw it. And kept going.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Ran 5.15 miles last night. I think the GPS on my phone was off as normal. Probably 4.9 miles or so in reality. but I use the GPS as my goal measurer. So, goal attained! Not bad. Last best run was 3.84 miles. I managed my pace well last night and it jsut worked out. At 3 miles i said one more. At 4 miles, I said screw it. And kept going.

congrats! sounds like you should hit your stretch goal of 10K definitely by the end of the year.

good luck!

rga

Nov 9, 2011
rga,

Good program. Stick to it. The rewards will come.

I'm already seeing results: My back is getting wider; I can see my traps bulge out a little bit when wearing a tank top. My legs are getting stronger, too. I've noticed my quads starting to develop further down around my knee. Tomorrow will be the end of my fourth week, and I have not yet missed a workout. It's been tough getting up at 3:00am some days, but I've done it!

I stopped cutting this week; I'm now eating about 3200 calories daily. I've maintained a weight of 162 this week eating that. I'll stick with this diet for a few more weeks, and see if I gain any weight. If not, I'll have to start eating more. Not sure how I'll do it, considering I've been eating between 1800-2400 calories for the last year, but I think my body will start craving the food once the lifts become even heavier.

I wanted to add that I'm extremely excited to squat tomorrow. Moving up to the 35 pound rings!! Yay!!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
rga,

Good work.

When I think about myself a year ago when I started Strong Lifts, I can definitely see the changes. It's nice to notice the little things. Like my shirt still being tight in the arms just like when I was heavier. But realizing that my biceps/triceps are the reason they are tight these days.

Blackdog,
Thanks. At 5 miles, my right knee started to hurt. So I read up on it. Sounds like going up more than 10% at a time is a bad idea and that knee pain can occur. I bascially did a 40% leap over what i have been doing lately. So I will have to work into the 8K. But man, that's about 60 minuts of running non stop. Crap, maybe I'll pull a half marathon some day ;-)

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
I never set any goals for 2011 except for weight loss. I'm pretty proud of what I've done, even though I made excuses for the first 2 months and didn't get started until March. I've lost 36 pounds so far. It was hard to get motiation to get started, but easy to keep going once the results started showing.

Run 5k race - hopefully in May - currently can run 2.5km on treadmill no problem
Weight - 130 lbs
Complete Tough Mudder http://toughmudder.com/ - October - this one is dependant on my team actually forming

Weight - 130 lbs - Goal reached!

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
My goals for 2012:

1. Get fit enough to complete the Oil Creek 100 Mile trail race in under 24 hours.
2. Lose weight. Get down to 170 by race weekend.
3. Keep up my whole body strength thru body weight circuit training.
4. Run 2000 or more miles.

Good luck to you all in 2012.
1. The 100 miler isn't going to happen this year. I have a hip imbalance which has led to repeated groin injuries and knee issues. Working hard to correct this now. FAIL
2. I am down to 176. Started at 201 on May 1. so far so good
3. Coupled with #1. so far so good
4. On track, but barely. May be close. so far so good

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
I never set any goals for 2011 except for weight loss. I'm pretty proud of what I've done, even though I made excuses for the first 2 months and didn't get started until March. I've lost 36 pounds so far. It was hard to get motviation to get started, but easy to keep going once the results started showing.

Weight - 130 lbs
Complete Tough Mudder http://toughmudder.com/ - October - this one is dependent on my team actually forming

6 weeks left until the end of the year update:

Chinups - I got as far as 6 and messed up my upper back/neck. I'm back at it recently, but only up to 4.
Pushups (real ones, not girl ones!) - Still at 20, but finally started working on it.
Run 5k race - Completed in April
Weight - Got down to 124 in August. Bouncing around between 124 and 132 since then.
Climb Kilimanjaro - Completed in September
Complete Tough Mudder http://toughmudder.com/ - Completed in October

4 goals down, 2 to go.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Chinups - I got as far as 6 and messed up my upper back/neck. I'm back at it recently, but only up to 4.
Pushups (real ones, not girl ones!) - Still at 20, but finally started working on it.
Weight - Got down to 124 in August. Bouncing around between 124 and 132 since then.

4 goals down, 2 to go.

This is badass, congrats :)

Wish I could remember where I posted my 2012 goals, but IIRC they pretty much looked like this:

Body weight - lean 165lbs (was ~150)

Squat - 225
Bench - 165
Press - 115
Row - 165
Deadlift - 275
Running - 10k at a reasonable pace

All lifts are 5RM

Now:

Body weight - lean 165 :)
Squat - 230
Bench - 157.5 (hooray 1.25lb plates - they've helped my bench/press a lot)
Press - 115
Deadlift - 285
Row - not doing these anymore - I hate them. I swapped for power cleans and pullups
Running - not much, for some reason I completely ignored this

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
Edit: This should of come first, apologies.... CONGRATULATIONS to all who are working hard, sacrificing, and not only meeting but surpassing your goals!

2011 goals: Can't remember, just wanted to stay regular at the gym, and that didn't happen. I was on again / off again for at least half the year, kept having to deload and work the weight back up. I've been steady the past couple of months, so I'm excited and feel like I'm getting back in that "zone".

Current status:
5'7", 165lbs, 37 yrs old.
- Bench: 5x5 @ 220 (maxed out last year at 5x5 @ 230)
- Standing overhead press: 5x5 @ 130 (maxed out last year at 5x5 at 135)
- Deadlift: varies due to knee. jump between 135 to 225 (maxed out last year at 5 reps @ 325)
- Squat: varies due to knee, jump between 135 and 185 (maxed out last year at 5x5 @ 285)
- Rows: 5x5 @ 185 (maxed out last year at 5x5 @ 205)
- Pullups: overhand wide, 15 reps in a row (maxed out last year at 18 reps)

2012 goals:
- bench: 5x5 @ 235
- standing overhead press: 5x5 @ 140
- deadlift: we'll see how the knee holds up, probably won't go heavier that 275
- squat : we'll see how the knee holds up, probably wont go heavier than 225
- rows: 5x5 @ 215
- pullups: overhand wide, 20 reps in a row

Last edited:

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001

4 goals down, 2 to go.

I didn't think I was going to make the last two goals before the end of the year. After my neck problem got better I got back up to 6 chin-ups quickly enough and then hit 7 about a week ago. Just tried tonight before bed and got 9! The last one took huge effort and I was still 2-3 inches from the bar (close enough IMO!). I'm so pumped! Maybe I can still get to 10. Heart is still pounding! :D

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
Next year,
Weight: 225 +/- 5
Squat: 600x1
Bench: 415x1
Deadlift: whatever I can x1

I also plan on competing in no less than 4 BJJ tournaments and should have my blue belt by the end of the year.

Oh the lofty goals I had... I did compete in 4 tournaments this year and also got my blue belt which was probably the most important thing on the list for me. My lifts however have stalled quite a bit. I did manage to get a 5x500 squat which is 5lbs and 2 more reps than the start of the year. My bench press hasn't' really been tested all year and my deadlifts are coming along nicely, haven't had any more injuries at least.

I actually think that's my biggest accomplishment of the year, my reduction in injury frequency. There have been a few, my shoulder as of late, but over all I feel like this has been a more injury free year than last. My form has also gotten a lot better all around.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
2012 goals:

1. regain my appetite for base mileage on my bike. It really helps keep trim when I get a couple rides a day just commuting to/from work, but some days I'm so mentally shot I just want to go straight home and veg out, instead of taking a longer route. It also helps take my mind off things that depress me... gimme my endorphin fix!

2. drop from ~163lbs back to about 152, or even 150 if I can ride enough (some diet adjustments wouldn't hurt either). The extra weight is contributing to back strain since I'm on my feet all day, for one thing.

3. finish the Midnight Century before sunrise this year. Pretty sure I can do it if I train and keep my stops really brief. Since it's self-support, at night, on a combination of road and deep gravel, this is what the bike looks like at launch (plus a 3-liter Camelbak and stuffed jersey pockets): 2009 bike setup

So these were mine.

#1 was to keep enough mental energy that I *wanted* to ride, and actually do it. This was working OK until I did the high-mileage challenge on Strava, followed by the 24-hour mountain-bike team race, which burned me out and I took about 5 weeks off. Holy backsliding, Batman!

#2 was to get into more optimal body fitness. I got to my plateau and never got further.

#3 was to set a new PR and hopefully a CR in the Midnight Century. That goal turned out all WIN, I took about 1/2 hour off my previous PR/CR and could probably have come in 20+ minutes faster yet, if I hadn't buddied with another rider. By sticking with him and towing him in my slipstream quite a bit, we both beat the sunrise, so I consider it a team win ():)

After the Midnight Century, I relaxed and did some backsliding, and then we had to move the business I work at, which sucked up tons of time and energy, so now I'm back to establishing a base. Cold wet lonely bike rides on a utilitarian winter bike from now 'til March.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
2012 Goals
- lose more belly fat, more defined stomach
- lose residual man-boobs
- increase strength and more defined muscles
- Run in an organized event: 5K, 10K, Half, and the Zombie Run
- Not sure where i wanna be weightlifting goals since i'm just starting
-- Bench = 150+
-- Squat = 200+? that too little?
-- Deadlift =250+? that too little?

hit all but the organized runs.

Sep 29, 2004
2012 goals:
4) 8K (10K stretch goal)

Preface: Had a bad pulled groin and shoulder injury late summer that put me out for 2-3 months. It sucked. No running, no lifting. Eating habits went to hell.

1) Best I know I did was 215 one rep. I tried 225 but spotter helped slightly. He said he probably gave me -5 pounds at most but still, it was assisted. This was mid summer. Could have hit 235 if I didn't have an injury.
2) Got to 197 when injury occured. Now at 207 or so.
3) under 36". Not 24" yet but go close.
4) Ran 5 miles just prior to injury. That was the real goal, not 8K. I;'ll give myself a pass.
5) Nope
6) Yup
7) nope. (might be able to do it, just didn't try)

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Been thinking about goals for the following year and here are a few.

Bench 250lbs currently 175lbs
Run 3 miles currently 1.5 is where a gas out at
50 push-ups with out stopping currently I can get about 20-25
20 pull-ups with out stopping currently around 8-9

Cant really think of anything but I know Ill think of more as the week goes on at the gym.

Current:
bench was 205lbs
2 miles
18ish

I think I could have hit my goals but I got hit with the injury bug twice this year that took me out and am still currently out of the gym and havenet been since the end of Ocotber.