***Official*** 2010 Stock Market Thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
TiVo plunges and Dish Network rises - as an appeals court rules Dish partner EchoStar can file for rehearing of an earlier decision that they were still infringing on TiVo's patents.

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
TIVO down big today. Dish Network is being allowed to appeal the previous ruling in favor of TIVO.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Of those 3, I'd go with WFR. I like their business but at the moment I lack funds to make a significant purchase.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
That's what I'm feeling as well, just trying to see where the bottom is. I know we'll have a little turn up this afternoon but trying to figure out if I should wait to buy until monday

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
If you have $5k cash right now what would you put it in? I'm thinking of buying C to lower my average. I'm in at 4.6 right now. Or maybe Ford. I don't really know what I'm doing though so I might just buy an index fund. I like to dump like $1k more in after a really large drop, but that's just me.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
If you have $5k cash right now what would you put it in? I'm thinking of buying C to lower my average. I'm in at 4.6 right now. Or maybe Ford. I don't really know what I'm doing though so I might just buy an index fund. I like to dump like $1k more in after a really large drop, but that's just me.

If I wasn't already significantly in on Ford I would buy that. It's definitely a long term (1-2 year) buy but I feel like you can't go wrong. I'm also about to order both WFR and TQNT.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Probably deserves it's own thread, but since the audience is all here, just out of curiosity what brokers is everyone using?

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I am so glad I got out of the market on 4-19. I avoided the big drop, then last friday, bought SPY at 110, sold it Monday at 116, and bought some more today at 112.90

KDKPSJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2002
Probably deserves it's own thread, but since the audience is all here, just out of curiosity what brokers is everyone using?

Zecco since because of its 25 free trade per month for $ 25k or more portfolio, but I am seriously thinking about moving to Optionshouse. Zecco platform is instable (Guess their server sux) as well as margin interest rate is the highest among the broker AFAIK (7.25%, while Optionshouse is 4% something).

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
If I wasn't already significantly in on Ford I would buy that. It's definitely a long term (1-2 year) buy but I feel like you can't go wrong. I'm also about to order both WFR and TQNT.

Not that anyone cares but I feel like Monday and Tuesday are going to hover and/or come down a little so I didn't buy today. Definitely liking WFR as a 3-6 month buy with a target of $16 though.

Etrade but only because my company's Employee Stock Purchase is done through it. It's good but I would go somewhere cheaper if I wasn't already forced to use it.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
VHC settled with MSFT for $200 Million. I sold my measly 135 shares last week before the run-up :(

SKC

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2001
LVS ran up almost to 25 last week, now down almost 10% last two trading days.. I know most sectors are hammered though

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Not that anyone cares but I feel like Monday and Tuesday are going to hover and/or come down a little so I didn't buy today. Definitely liking WFR as a 3-6 month buy with a target of $16 though.

Overall, you think Ford and WFR are pretty good buys though? One of my buddies swears Citi is a great buy b/c it's a global brand. He has traveled a lot and sees Citi signs everywhere in the world. Another slight down day isn't necessarily a bad thing imo. Especially for those of us that still have cash sitting around.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Overall, you think Ford and WFR are pretty good buys though? One of my buddies swears Citi is a great buy b/c it's a global brand. He has traveled a lot and sees Citi signs everywhere in the world. Another slight down day isn't necessarily a bad thing imo. Especially for those of us that still have cash sitting around.

depend on your time horizon. citi is a good buy, but gov't is holding a lot of shares. every time the gov't makes announcement to sell off some citi shares, it will drop.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
LVS ran up almost to 25 last week, now down almost 10% last two trading days.. I know most sectors are hammered though

During the so called "flash crash" you could have picked up LVS for $18-$21, dumped it last week for $24.80, and can now buy it back for $22.50. Being that the Euro has taken back some ground as shorts are covering a bit, Im hoping for a relief rally this week in the market for OPEX. This is only a hope however and I could be wrong. The Euro thing is not over, but a brief respite might be in order.

Therefore, I bought a few LVS 24's for .21 that expire on Friday. I know its a long shot, but if I cant get a quick double between now and then Ill be happy. ;)