Off to Air Force Basic Training Soon...

revnja

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Hey everyone, I'm going off to Lackland AFB, TX soon for Air Force basic training (i think it's going to take some getting used to the heat, as I've been in Alaska for quite some years now). Any seasoned Air Force guys wanna give some pointers to a noob? I've talked to one of my parent's friends already who gave me the general idea of what would be going on (and the recruiter as well). He said the first week or so you want to just turn tail and run home, and you wonder what you got yourself into. Heh. I'm not so much worried about that, as I am confident I can get through it.

I did have a few questions about base selection though, if anyone knows. Did you get stationed at the base at the top or your list? I am seriously considering a base overseas. I've got it narrowed town to Yakota AFB (Japan), Ramstein AFB (Germany) or AFB Mildenhall or Lakenheath (England). I'm just concerned about going overseas, and the exchange rates, etc not being so good. Is anyone here stationed in one of those bases or close to it? How is quality of life on the bases. I've been on Elmendorf AFB here in Alaska, Anchorage, and it was exceptionally nice.

Other than that, any other general tips for a noob I would definately appreciate, as it is just kind of nice to halfway know what to expect.

Thanks!
Adam

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
My parents got their top picks every time, until recently. Stay away from Pope AFB AKA Fayettenam :p

Ellsworth AFB was nice, I loved it :)

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
My only advice for a noob going in there would be.. fight everyone.

It's just like jail. If you don't do this no one will respect you.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I haven't served in the military, but Thanks & Good Luck adambooth :beer:

MrYAK

Aug 19, 2004
Its a mind game, just remember yer reporting statments, stay in line, dont cause attention(like me :p) you will learn what you can and cant do quick. whats yer AFSC you going into? or did you not get to pick?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Where you get assigned probably depends to a certain extent on your specialty. I have an uncle at Rammstein and lives very comfortably, but he's been in for a long, long time, so he could very well be an exception. Seemed like a very nice place when I visited him a couple years back, but I didn't see the general quarters or anything like that. I don't know anyone in the AF deployed in Japan, but guys in the MC seem to like it pretty well. Just don't go to Wright-Patterson... The drivers in Dayton will kill you for sure. :p
Originally posted by: rbloedow
My parents got their top picks every time, until recently. Stay away from Pope AFB AKA Fayettenam :p

Ellsworth AFB was nice, I loved it :)
Fayetteville is a fun place to be, as long as you're with the Army guys from Ft. Bragg and not the AF guys. :p

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I was in basic at Lackland over 50 years ago when it had WWII barracks. I'm sure it has changed drastically since then.

Just keep your nose clean and follow orders and you will be fine. This is NOT the marines so it should be quite easy.

Good luck and aim high.

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
Don't wear your "Air Force" T-Shirt to the first day of training. Matter fact, don't wear anything but plain ass clothes, tuck in your shoelaces, tuck in your shirt and prepare to get ripped into.

revnja

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Thanks WingZero94 :) The recruiter has already told me that they bring you down and bring you back up, so I'm aware of the fact that I am gonna incur a lot of wrath. I'm prepared for it though. I'm gonna try my hardest and go in there and try to kick ass! (not literally of course, as one of the previous comments suggested)

AnimeKnight

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2000
" Its a mind game, just remember yer reporting statments, stay in line, dont cause attention(like me ) you will learn what you can and cant do quick. whats yer AFSC you going into? or did you not get to pick?"

"Don't wear your "Air Force" T-Shirt to the first day of training. Matter fact, don't wear anything but plain ass clothes, tuck in your shoelaces, tuck in your shirt and prepare to get ripped into."

Don't volunteer for anything. You will be assign a job during basic. But be prepare to take over some other people's job as well. main thing is maintain your military bearing. don't forget your reporting statements. DON'T STAND OUT. 6 weeks will go by really fast.

I didn't get the base that I picked, but I did get an oversea assignment. I am stationed in Spangdahlem, Germany.

Which base you are going depends on your AFSC and the job availability. If you really want to have an oversea assignment, on your dreamsheet put everything oversea that might increase your chance of going oversea. At least that's what I did.

Most likely you will be staying in the dorm for the first year or two. It really depends on the availability of the dorm at your future base. I am still living in the dorm and I have been here for almost a year now. I am hoping to move off base soon. That's where you can make some money.

Quality of life is pretty good here. Ramstine I heard is better, but it's how you make it to be. If you are assigned oversea. Take advantage of it and TRAVEL. Experience of AF a lot of them depend on how you make it to be.

I have been in Germany for almost a year. Granted sometime work sucks but that's given for any jobs. I have already been to Amsterdam, Berlin, Luxembourg, Munchen for the Oktoberfest, and many other cities. I am planning to go to Paris in May, England in July, and maybe Rome in August if everything goes as I planned.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
BMTS 3708 here July 17th, 1987. That was a while ago I know it has changed a lot. Just pay attention to your TI, keep your mouth shut, and pay attention when they teach you how to fold your underware and tee-shirts in perfect 6inch squares, the edges have to look like you cut them with a knife.

oh and dont screw up on dorm guard duty or you will get washed back to the flight behind you.

I didnt get any bases on my "Dream Sheet" my first yard was Nellis AFB in Vegas. I was the only cop in my entire squadron that got Nellis, everbody else got a SAC base so they were pissed at me because they were headed to a nothern tier base to freeze their asses off humping around an alert bomber. heheheh Nellis ruled as a first base, i know for a fact it was the reason i stayed in for 10 years. if i got sent to a SAC base i would have gotten out after my first 4 years. My other bases were Wueshheim AS Germany, Hahn AB Germany then the air force got even and sent me to Grand Forks ND to a damn SAC base. 5.5 years of horror.

The first thing you will learn to say is your reporting statement and how to store your AF Form 347.

Reporting statement: SIR AIRMAN adambooth REPORTS AS ORDERED!

347: a little piece of paper you keep (3) in your left breast pocket. YOU have already filled out all your info like your name, squadron... if you are caught doing something bad just about anybody can stop you chew your ass and then take a 347 from you. they fill it out on who they are and what you did and it goes straight to your TI...

tmaestro

Feb 24, 2005
lol

Six weeks of learning how to wear your uniform and memorizing rank insignias. :roll: I went through three months of Marine Corps boot camp and I can't honestly believe anyone is really stressing about Air Force 'Basic Training.'

But all inevitable inter-service rivalry aside, damned good that you're serving. Head games are just head games, don't worry about it. ...and anyone can handle the Air Force's physical training.

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
I would take Ramstein in a minute, I loved it while I was there!!! I was in the Army and I worked at the Copone base, just down the street from Ramstein. Man, I really miss Germany and I need to go back!!!!

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
I may be joining the Air Force and was just wondering if they are offering signing bonuses like some of the other services?

revnja

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2004
I didn't get any bonus, but there are definately a lot of perks -- talk to a recruiter for more information on that. I know after four years, they give you a re-enlistment bonus if you stay with the AF, and from what the recruiter and some officers told me, can be very sizeable, but always mileage may very.

I'm not really stressing over it, I know I can handle it -- just looking for tips to make life easier I guess. To get a better feel for what I'm about to do. Thank you all for the wonderful information, I feel a lot more comfortable going into this when I know a bit of what's gonna go down.

Boze

Dec 20, 2004
tmaestro, haha... that is hilarious...

Adambooth, I was stationed at Lackland AFB for about three months for some more "wonderful Navy training". To be perfectly frank and honest with you, Air Force basic training is hardly as bad as Navy, and it doesn't come anywhere close to the Marines or the Army; I think you'll be just fine. I did the following things to make it through boot camp just fine (and with a meritorious advancement):

Polish your boots until they look like black glass. I personally rub in the polish pretty good for about 10 minutes, then I dampen a cloth and dab a little more polish on it. After one hour they literally look like black glass.
Keep your uniforms squared away. I *cannot* stress this enough. Use fingernail clippers to remove any loose threads or crap like that, and iron those fatigues well. Presentation goes a long way in the armed services.
If you screw up (and you will screw up...), admit to it, take your punishment, and drive on. Your RDC (or Drill Sargeant, whatever the AF calls it...) will ream you, but more importantly, respect you.
DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH THE FEMALE RECRUITS!! I cannot possibly stress this enough... I had a ton of friends in boot camp get held back longer at boot camp for gettin' it on, and believe me, there are going to be some beautiful female servicemembers there, because the Air Force does not admit unattractive or overweight females; much like the guy you knew in high school that got all the girls whenever he wanted them, the AF is quite picky... besides, you can always wait until you graduate boot camp to get your freak on (and believe me, after six weeks of no sex, there will be some freak-getting-on).

I think that about sums it up... I don't know anything else to say, really... at the time I was there, those of us in the Navy were serious competition for Air Force guys; for some reason their girls were more into us sailors than the airmen, and while I experienced this phenomenon first-hand, I can't offer any explaination as to why.

Good luck, keep your chin up, and make sure you give your address to all of your friends and relatives, their support and encouragement are going to bring you through any hard times you might encounter.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
First thing out of your mouth when the Drill Sergeant asks you why you did something, is "no excuse Drill Sergeant!".