Octomom back on welfare gets $2800 a month

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Her children are the primary recipients of these benefits, not her. Isn't that what society is about?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Her children are the primary recipients of these benefits, not her. Isn't that what society is about?

If the welfare of her children were the primary concern they would have been taken at birth and adopted to good families.

The children are merely a convenient extortion tool so octomom can do what she want.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
If the welfare of her children were the primary concern they would have been taken at birth and adopted to good families.

The children are merely a convenient extortion tool so octomom can do what she want.

I'm sure the costs associated with taking her children and monitoring their care in foster families or wherever they would go would far exceed $2800 a month. We are getting a bargain to bring 8 children into society for that low cost.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Interesting point about holding the Doctor responsible. Obviously not feasible, but with regards to support, a child usually has two parents. In our state, for example, if a mother were to apply for benefits of a child, the father would be expected to contribute before the state funding "kicked in". In the case of IVF, the child ( or children) essentially only have one parent for support.

Obviously (to me anyway) holding the DR or sperm donors responsible is not the right way to go. I wonder, if before receiving this procedure you should be required to name a father (or second parent for same sex couples) so the children / society has 2 parents to hold accountable like traditional birth.

Then again, I suspect this is one of those corner case problems, where legislating and enforcing would be a much larger burden than the actual issue. I would guess most people getting these procedures are couples who actually want the children and have the means to support them once they are born.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
As we can also ask, don't the super brains who push the the frontiers of helping legitimate parents to conceive a child, don't have a committeemen social responsibility to prevent unlimited access to such treatments to the already fertile couples?
In our system, scientists have no political power beyond that of an ordinary citizen so of course we can not expect them to regulate their discoveries for us.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sure the costs associated with taking her children and monitoring their care in foster families or wherever they would go would far exceed $2800 a month. We are getting a bargain to bring 8 children into society for that low cost.

You do realize there are families in America that go to foreign countries to adopt babies right?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Cant fix stupid.

I dont think we should pay any woman to have a baby.

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
in the spirit of the obama's welfare wonder land brought to you by YOUR income confiscation under the guise of "tax".

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

THIS. She got them for the attention and the money. There's no real guarantee the money goes to the kids. A DMCowen thread I agree with. Hell hath frozen over.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Breads and circuses to keep the masses anger directed at someone else than the Wall street swindlers and banksters along with their puppets the president and congress that are robbing this country blind.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-8-2013

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/octomom-nadya-sulemans-ups-downs/story?id=18151795#

Octomom Nadya Suleman's Ups and Downs

Nadya Suleman has not had an easy time since becoming known to the world as Octomom after giving birth to octuplets in January 2009.
After her initial notoriety, the mother of 14 has seen her share of highs and lows.

"She spent most of her savings while she was in Chapman Treatment center, paying for around-the-clock nannies, drivers, security and her treatment program," Rodriguez said in an email. "She does not expect to be on longer than three months."

She weaned herself off welfare five months ago but her bank account was quickly depleted after she entered rehab in October 2012 for what her rep said at the time was "anxiety, exhaustion and stress."

Along with this latest setback, click through to see a list of Suleman's ups and downs in recent years.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Yes yes yes, every welfare Mom is just like Octomom with 14 kids.

When the fact are and remain, many people on welfare are military families who qualify for at least food stamps. As the unlucky few allow their main breadwinner to be sent to a foreign quagmire and instead find their breadwinner returns in a box or totally disabled. So what does a grateful America do for their children for their fathers service to our country, as we punish their children instead.

Or how about all those formerly high wage workers who can no longer find jobs after they get downsized. As the generous rich 1/2 per centers ship their jobs over seas instead. Or what about all those American parents who have even a single child with health problems. Lets take a downs syndrome child like Sarah Palin had, or a child with cancer, and unless daddy has a job making 100K or better, they can no longer make ends meet, while Mommy has to quit her jog, and somewhat neglect her duty to her other children just to take care of her sick child. And at exactly the same time our foodstamp and welfare rolls are exponentially soaring, due to a bad economy the republirats largely created, drebo and his ilk pretends good people and their offspring are never the victims we should help. As they instead busily pretend every welfare mother and father have 14 children just like OCTOMOM.

For the record, my wife and I have never collected a single dime of welfare, but I have nothing but total contempt for drebo and his ilk who seek to punish our nation's children who all are the future of our nation.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yes yes yes, every welfare Mom is just like Octomom with 14 kids.

When the fact are and remain, many people on welfare are military families who qualify for at least food stamps. As the unlucky few allow their main breadwinner to be sent to a foreign quagmire and instead find their breadwinner returns in a box or totally disabled. So what does a grateful America do for their children for their fathers service to our country, as we punish their children instead.

Or how about all those formerly high wage workers who can no longer find jobs after they get downsized. As the generous rich 1/2 per centers ship their jobs over seas instead. Or what about all those American parents who have even a single child with health problems. Lets take a downs syndrome child like Sarah Palin had, or a child with cancer, and unless daddy has a job making 100K or better, they can no longer make ends meet, while Mommy has to quit her jog, and somewhat neglect her duty to her other children just to take care of her sick child. And at exactly the same time our foodstamp and welfare rolls are exponentially soaring, due to a bad economy the republirats largely created, drebo and his ilk pretends good people and their offspring are never the victims we should help. As they instead busily pretend every welfare mother and father have 14 children just like OCTOMOM.

For the record, my wife and I have never collected a single dime of welfare, but I have nothing but total contempt for drebo and his ilk who seek to punish our nation's children who all are the future of our nation.

50% of infants are fed by the government through WIC.

Or take for example:

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/11/155103593/to-beat-odds-poor-single-moms-need-wide-safety-net

Take the case of 29-year-old Jennifer Stepp, who lives in Reading, Pa. Like 14 million other people in the U.S. who live in families headed by single mothers, she's poor. And she faces incredible odds.

Stepp has three children by three different fathers. The father of her eldest child, 10-year-old Isaiah, is serving 30 years in federal prison for armed robbery.

"He's met my son one time, when he was a baby. And he decided that he didn't want him," she says.

Stepp's middle child, 8-year-old Shyanne, usually sees her father every other weekend. But the father of her younger son is also in prison. Stepp says he's been behind bars for selling cocaine since she was pregnant. He has never met 1-year-old Makai.

And unlike Octomom this is a woman we are suppose to be feeling sorry for and is supposed to be representative of 14 million people.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

The fact that we allow women like Octomom to be mothers is punishing our nation's children. But funny how people seem to be unwilling to do anything about that.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The fact that we allow women like Octomom to be mothers is punishing our nation's children. But funny how people seem to be unwilling to do anything about that.

I'm sure your obama considers her a MC ( model citizen) pushing the liberal agenda of mass income confiscation and mass dependency.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
So to sum up the thread, it's better to remove all the siblings from Octomom who recieved welfare to either an institution, group home or foster parents...all of whom recieve compensated for expenses from the govt. Lets not forget all the financial expenses involved with social service agencies which for 8 kids and likely seperation, tally up to more monthly costs than Octomom would recieve on her own. To just foster one of each child, someone can correct me, but i think they get around a grand per month...so $8k per month in exchange for the $2800 in welfare?

So that gets us where exactly?
*edit: i looked it up, up to $40 a day and i thought she had 8 kids but its 14...if $2800 is all she gets from welfare per month that is cheap in comparison.

Last edited: