OC'ing QX6850

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
how many fans do you currently have set up in your case? that case is designed for a ridiculous amount of airflow if properly utilized. do you have a top exhaust fan?

Aug 1, 2007
the TR is the best air cooler and is better than most TEC's even
What does TR stand for ?

Doesn't that come with 4 side case fans? You should only have to remove one or two of them to install the cpu cooler.
LOL, Yeah, it did come with 4 side case fans... I did not think I was gonna use it.. so I threw it away like 1 week ago !!! LOL Argh !!! I guess I should look into buying these side case fans :(

Aug 1, 2007
I did check I do need to buy a 120mm fan... Spoke to sidewinder and they recommended the below fan...
Scythe SFF21F 63 CFM S-FLEX 120mm Quiet FAN by Sony

Also, since the fan is attached to Ultra-120-eXtreme, It appears I won't have to buy the side case fans with CM Stacker 830.... ?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
sorry, I was shortening thermalright ultra 120 extreme to TR.

I don't know if your side fan setup will fit with the TR cooler. If they will then you will get MUCH better cooling with the four side 120mm fans installed. You can get good 120 mm fans for about $10 each so there's no reason to not get all 4 if the side panel fits. I believe that the back of your case also has room for four fans, you might even just get all 8. Realistically, that many fans blowing should create enough wind to ship dorothy back to kansas. Unfortunately, I don't think that they'll help your tec so you probably still need another cooler. I would take the following steps:

1. install Thermalright ultra 120 extreme.
2. check to see if 4x120mm fans fit on front.
3. get 4x120 mm fans for rear.

Aug 1, 2007
1. install Thermalright ultra 120 extreme.
2. check to see if 4x120mm fans fit on front.
3. get 4x120 mm fans for rear.

1. OK
2. I Checked the front, and there is a fan.... looks like it's cooling Hard drives...
3. There is a 1200mm fan in the rear... I don't see how I can add additional fans for rear.

When I install TR and place 120mm fan, I'll check if additional fans can fit on the side panel.

Thanks for the suggestions...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
there are several stacker 830 cases. If you don't have fans on the back side panel, then your ultimate fan setup would be 2 front intake, 4 side intake, 1 top exhaust, and 1 or 2 rear exhaust depending upon your system setup. with that many 120 mm fans you should be able to get really close to ambient with most systems and certainly much better temps on your ultra high-end rig. If you can even use 1 or 2 of the side fans with the ultra 120 installed then you'll see an enormous temperature drop.

Aug 1, 2007
OK, so I got Thermalright ultra 120 extreme and it's worst than Vigor Gaming Monsoon II Lite..... Let me re-phrase this... either Thermalright ultra 120 extreme is worst or I'm doing something wrong :) I'm tending to think the later... that I did something wrong...

Below are some details...
Room Temp: 25C
Idle Temp with Monsoon II Lite: ~57C
Idle Temp with Ultra 120 eXtreme: ~67C

After installing Ultra 120 eXtreme... Idle Temp was 67C. I thought I may have added too much Thermal paste.... so I wiped clean the heatseak and a little excess thermal paste from CPU.

Also, it appears that the 120mm fan (Scythe SFF21F 63 CFM S-FLEX 120mm) that I attached was in reverse... corrected....

Re-installed the heatsink and no change with Idle temp... still 67C

When I had the fan in reverse, I did notice the heatsink was a little warm when I touched it... but after reversing fan... heatsink felt cool when touched...

One thing also to note... when I turned on PC, MOBO gave me a "FAN FAIL" error message. MOBO checks to see if fan was spinning at 600 RPM.... checked with vendor and they told me that if I saw that fan was spinning I can disable it from BIOS... so I disabled it..

So, any suggestions on what I can possibly try out....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
There are many people here who have complained about their TR ultra 120 extreme. You have to make sure that it is making good contact with the cpu heat spreader. You probably need to lap one/both of them. Normally I'd say it's the TR but your temps are so out of whack that I think it's the cpu hs. I've never lapped either one so I don't want to give you bad advice, do a search on thermalright ultra 120 extreme and lapping using the forum search feature to read about it.

Aug 1, 2007
You have to make sure that it is making good contact with the cpu heat spreader. You probably need to lap one/both of them.

Since I screwed in the screws... I'm sure it has good contact... Also, at this time I have PC laying on it's side with open case... (heatsink on top of MOBO)... I would say this has better contact than case standing upright...

In regards to lapping... I was curious about this before buying ultra 120 extreme... and according to tech guys at Thermalright... lapping was not necessary and should not be done...

Maybe I should consider water cooling or just go back to Monsoon Lite II...

Aug 1, 2007
Update: I have totaly lost confidence in the temp displayed from Core Temp.... Using BIOS to get temperature here are the temp's...

Temp's from BIOS,
Ultra 120 eXtreme 64-67C
Re-installed Monsoon Lite II: 42-46C

When I re-installed Monsoon Lite II, as mentioned above... BIOS temps ranged 42-46C, after starting windows PC Probe II (asus utility) displayed same temp 42-46C, when started Core Temp, it displayed ~ 57C (about 15C higher). I really don't think temp from Core Temp is correct... at least in my case....

Since, in my case... Monsoon Lite II turned out to be cooler, I'm gonna return Ultra 120 eXtreme... dunno, maybe I just bad one ?

In any case... On the positive side... I guess I learned how to install CPU coolers :)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
you do whatever you want, it's your pc. You need to lap the ultra 120 extreme, regardless of what the thermalright tech support guy said. they can't tell you to lap it b/c it void your warranty, but it will handle the temps generated by your quad much better if lapped and installed properly than the monsoon.

coretemp and bios both display correct temps. bios displays temp between cores, coretemp displays the temp of each individual core itself. there is usually a 10-12c diff between those 2 sensors, so actually you have good confirmation that they're both working properly.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
IMO you should of went with the Tuniq or the Scythe Ninja Rev. B over the TR Ultra 120 imo. The TR Ultra 120 takes to much effort to get the good results that it can give. Lapping is a hassle and I don't like to pay money to have to modify it to make it work properly.

Aug 1, 2007
it will handle the temps generated by your quad much better if lapped

Ultra 120 extreme may possibly give better temp's when lapped... but I never have seen a reviewer for ultra 120 extreme and say that they lap their ultra 120 extreme when installing...

Lapping is a hassle and I don't like to pay money to have to modify it to make it work properly.
I agree, consumers should not be modifying these CPU coolers to make it work properly... But I'm sure that most ppl that use ultra 120 extreme... don't lapp their CPU coolers...

One thing I did notice that I'd like to mention...
When I initially un-installed Monsoon Lite II, I did notice that vendor had placed alot of thermal paste... I observed alot of thermal paste on the cooler and CPU... When I re-installed Monsoon Lite II, I added thermal paste on cooler... (kinda like a haze) and 1 thin line on the CPU.... And from taking notes... this is the BIOS temp history for Monsoon Lite II...

Before Un-installing:
-----------------------
BIOS temp for Monsoon Lite II: 54C - (Observed BIOS temp for ~ 5mins)

After re-installing:
---------------------
BIOS temp for Monsoon Lite II: 42-46C - (Observed BIOS temp for ~ 20mins)

So, from these results, looks like having too much thermal paste will increase your temp's...

The odd thing is that when starting window's... With Monsoon Lite II, Core Temp displays 57C... and this is before and after (un-installing & re-installing Monsoon Lite II).... This is why I initially trusted Core Temp... Because, First time, BIOS displayed 54C and when starting windows Core Temp displayed 57C.... so I thought, BIOS temp was close enough to Core Temp... But now, after re-installing Monsoon Lite II, BIOS displays 42-46C and starting windows, Core Temp again displays 57C.... This is why it does not make any sense to me... the temp displayed from Core Temp is bogus...

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
I doubt that it is the U120 ext. Mine is not lapped, neither is my quad-ant the mounting is tight, stock OOB
My room temp is approx 25C
My Q6600 is at 3375/1.30vcore and is idleing all 4 cores are in the 32-35 range/Coretemp
Under full P95/4 threads none of them break 55C
I'm using Arctic Ceramique and an Scyth Sflex "F" model, 67CFM/1600rpm/28db

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SerpentRoyal
I would be uncomfortable if I spend that much $ with so so cooling. That said, for what you're doing, I don't see heat as a big issue.

I would be uncomfortable if I spent that much on a PC, and was fretting over settings on a forum instead of using the PC for what I bought it for ..:)

Aug 1, 2007
My Q6600 is at 3375/1.30vcore and is idleing all 4 cores are in the 32-35 range/Coretemp
I really don't trust temp from Coretemp.... Can you restart your PC, get temp from BIOS (Monitor temp ~ 5mins) then go to Windows and check what temp you get from CoreTemp... Can you tell me your results ? The difference in temp should not be much different...

Thanks...

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
The BIOS temp is the Tcase ( center of heat spreader ) temp .. Core temp does not show Tcase

Try PC Wizard ..
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

It will give BIOS temp and core readings .. I have found it to be accurate on core readings compared to CoreTemp.

Some motherboards may not give a real accurate Tcase reading .. You will need to search out other users to get a feeling for how accurate it is ..

If it is accurate, the temp you see in the BIOS after it has stabilized and the reading you see with the operating system loaded and 0% CPU load should be pretty close...

Aug 1, 2007
Try PC Wizard ..
I'm gonna see if I try PC Wizard (at work now)... But my understanding is that the BIOS will give the correct CPU temp...

I would like to see the results of someone... and tell me the difference between their BIOS temp vs CoreTemp..

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: spike99
Try PC Wizard ..
I'm gonna see if I try PC Wizard (at work now)... But my understanding is that the BIOS will give the correct CPU temp...

I would like to see the results of someone... and tell me the difference between their BIOS temp vs CoreTemp..
Re-read my post ...

The difference is:

Core temp does not take the reading from the same sensor/s that the BIOS does.

It is not a valid comparison

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
core temp .95.4 will give you accurate readings. as I stated earlier and now diogenes is stating, coretemp gives temps on each core while bios gives temps between cores. they are always going to be different, the in-core temp is going to be higher. There is no way in hell that you should idling that high. You might get a year or two out of your system like that, but you'll probably have an untimely thermal demise.

On a side note, I bought the tuniq for many of the listed reasons above. I didn't want to risk having to lap it, I didn't want to hassle with buying a fan and installing it, I'd heard of many problems with computer cases and fitting the thermalright in them,etc. Regardless of what one person posted on this thread, there are MANY people who have complained of issues with their thermalright ultra 120 extreme coolers. Do a forum search here, look in google, whatever floats your boat, but most of those concerns involve a loose cpu cooler with the screws fastened up tight and/or needing to lap the cooler to get better cooling. I heard of no such issues with the tuniq and thus ultimately decided upon it. It appears that the monsoon isn't cooling very well for you so you might want to try out the tuniq.

Aug 1, 2007
You might get a year or two out of your system like that, but you'll probably have an untimely thermal demise.

Hmm, I'm gonna recheck my warranty :) But If I get 2 years, I'll be good... :)

It appears that the monsoon isn't cooling very well for you so you might want to try out the tuniq.
Checking the below anandtech review... It shows cooling results for Monsoon II Lite, Ultra-120 eXtreme & Tuniq Tower 120. Monsoon II Lite is just a few degrees higher than Ultra & Tuniq... but not by much... I really don't think getting Tuniq Tower 120... I would get much temp difference...
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3022&p=5

I really don't understand why I got so much of a difference in BIOS temp with Ultra-120 (64-67C) vs Monsoon II Lite (42-46C). These temp's were taken on a open case laying on its side... I am sure that Ultra-120 was not loose...

In any case, now that I have Monsoon II Lite installed and I have lifted the case upright and closed side panel... BIOS temp jumped up to 57C... I do have the 120mm fan that I had bought for Ultra-120... Since I had no place to put it... I placed fan at the bottom... loose... But obviously, this made no difference in BIOS temp. :( CM Stacker 830, does come with an optional fans on the side... but I can see that It would not fit..

Aug 1, 2007
Update: Decided to call Intel.... Although placing a third party CPU cooler and overclocking voids warranty... :) They basically told me that as long as my BIOS temp was below 64.5 that it was fine and not to worry about it...

My BIOS temp is 57C, so maybe I should stop worrying about my temp...