OC'ing QX6850

Aug 1, 2007
OK, So I just got this new rig... Below are my setting...
CPU: QX6850 with Factory OC to 3.66GHz
MOBO: Asus Striker Extreme
PSU: Thermaltake 1,000 Watts
Cooling Fan: Vigor Monsoon II Lite
Memory: 2 Gigs DDR2 800 - Mushkin Xtreme
Video: EVGA 8800 Ultra

Because I am a noob... I had vendor OC CPU... Factory overclocked... to 3.66GHz

I have become somewhat familiar with changing BIOS settings... but basically, the only change the vendor made.... They changed multiplier from 9 to 11 and changed the VCore Voltage to ~ 1.3543 (estimate -at work now).

So I started taking temp's with CoreTemp and checked Idle Temp before and after stress testing with Prime95. Idle temp is ~ 65, stress testing ~ 74 running for 10mins when running for over 30mins... temp reached 90 and I stopped running Prime95... I was concerned that the temp was too high...

Although in real scenarios, my CPU runs below 40% but when playing games I have seen temp rise to about 73 degrees (celsius) I believe the temp is high especially when the Thermal Spec for QX6850 is 64.5 Celsius (Intel specs). According to vendor, it should be fine if it stays below 80 degrees.

Since I thought the temp to be too high... I started lowering VCore and I found that below 1.35 the temp was below 60 stress testing but after 10-15 mins it would fail the test.. So I started increasing back the VCore but unfortunately Prime95 was still failing and I had to set it back to the original setting of ~ 1.3543.

I'd like to try increasing FSB and lowering multiplier...

Note: I have seen some other BIOS setting changes in threads but I did not change because I did not find it or it doesn't seem to be available... on my MOBO. I'm going to keep on reading up on OC'ing... but if anyone has any suggestions on lowering temp's or any other BIOS setting changes, pls let me know...

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
If you have a warranty from them I would not worry. Otherwise I Wouldn't want to see the temp above 70C for a quadcore.

You do have a very good chip if it runs 24/7 @ 1.36v though.

Aug 1, 2007
Yoxxy,

Yes, the OC is under warranty... so maybe I shouldn't be too worried...

Running at ~ 1.354 seems to be stable but after stress testing for 30 mins, I saw temp reach 90C.... I got a bit scared that something may break... and turned off the stress testing...

Because I see temp of 70C-72C during normal use... It kinda worries me...

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
These Hot Rod big-box units are pushing the CPU to the edge of failure. They are gambling that you will unload the rig before the warranty expires. You will need a very good water cooled rig with lapped CPU/heat sink to keep temp under 70C. 75-80C under Orthos is fine. I think 73C for game is too hot. Why? 80C Orthos should translate to <65C when gaming.

A well-designed water cooled rig should be able to run Orthos for 1 hour at 80C max.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Yup. I wouldn't worry about CPU or mobo dying if they're under warranty. However, the warranty itself will only cover the hardware damage - that is, possible data loss and system down time isn't something they can make up for you. These days everyone has a 2nd rig (many likely in the form of portable) so just make sure that you have a backup that you can rely on.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Originally posted by: spike99
Yoxxy,

Yes, the OC is under warranty... so maybe I shouldn't be too worried...

Running at ~ 1.354 seems to be stable but after stress testing for 30 mins, I saw temp reach 90C.... I got a bit scared that something may break... and turned off the stress testing...

Because I see temp of 70C-72C during normal use... It kinda worries me...

That CPU will throttle at 100C. The vendor is not doing a very good job with CPU/case cooling. +90C is LETHAL with prolonged use.

Aug 1, 2007
That CPU will throttle at 100C. The vendor is not doing a very good job with CPU/case cooling. +90C is LETHAL with prolonged use.

I do agree that vendor did not do a good job with CPU/case cooling. According to vendor it should be okay under 80C. But realistically, I don't expect to be running cpu's @ 100%.... Currently CPU's run below 40%.

I don't know if I should spend time in lowering temp... by possibly increasing FSB and decreasing multiplier... Not sure if it will make any difference...

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
I would be uncomfortable if I spend that much $ with so so cooling. That said, for what you're doing, I don't see heat as a big issue.

Aug 1, 2007
I would be uncomfortable if I spend that much $ with so so cooling. That said, for what you're doing, I don't see heat as a big issue.

I'm mainly going to be playing games... Although not many games take advantange of 4CPU's I'm expecting Crysis will be more CPU intensive but I doubt it will running over 80%.

When I purchased rig, I had seen good reviews for CPU cooling unit (Vigor Monsoon II Lite). Do you think I should consider in changing CPU cooler ?

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
The QX is overloading the TEC. Plain and simple.

I wouldn't touch anything as to not void your warranty. However if you want to keep the cpu cooler you can A.) lower multi to 10x or 9x or B.) Change the cooler.

Aug 1, 2007
The QX is overloading the TEC. Plain and simple.

What does TEC stand for ?

Yes, when I changed the multi back to 9 and changed the VCore back to AUTO... The temp dropped below 45C when stress testing :)

I may consider in changing CPU cooler.... What CPU cooler do you recommend ? I must admit this may be a last resort... It'll probably be a pain installing it right ?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I have a Vigor Monsoon II and it works well and what not, but your CPU is definitely over loading the TEC and small heatsink. I agree with the guy above you'd probably need a really good water cooling rig to be able to have a PC like that up 24/7.

Aug 1, 2007
Not sure what TEC stands for... but anyone have any suggestions on which water cooling CPU would be best suited for me ?

Thanks.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Thermo Electric Cooler.

I would say you should buy the Thermalright Ultra Extreme or Tuniq Tower 120.

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for the TEC translation :)

I will consider Thermalright Ultra Extreme or Tuniq Tower 120.

By the way, how much better are the above TEC than Vigor Gaming Monsoon II Lite ? Any ideas on how many degrees I can expect my CPU to lower ?

Aug 1, 2007
What temp software do you use ?

I think I have a problem with these temp's. I'm currently using Core Temp 0.95.4. I just installed asus utility (PC Probe II). PC Probe II utility indicates a 15C difference. In other words it indicates that my CPU is running 15C cooler....

Aug 1, 2007
Update: Looks like Core Temp does display the temp correctly... I was comparing Core Temp to an asus utility which indicated a 15C difference... I was not sure which one to trust...

In order for me to assure myself of the temp.... Basically, in MOBO there is an option that you are able to see your CPU temp... going to your MOBO is the best way to find temp (no software involved)...

So to check... went to BIOS and it indicated temp as 54C.... Then started windows... Core Temp indicated 57C and ASUS PC Probe was displaying 42C. No way temp is less than 54C, so I figured that starting PC... the temp will increase slightly... so 57C appears to me the correct temp.

In any case... As suggested, my Vigor Gaming Monsoon II Lite is not sufficient to cool this CPU... I was deciding between Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme & Tuniq Tower 120 and decided to get Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme... seems to be the better one...

Just placed an order for Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, once I get it & install it, I will post to give my before and after temps...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
you need to buy a 120mm fan to go with that. the TR and tuniq are not TEC's, but they are able to dissipate more heat than the TEC that you have on your cpu.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: spike99
What temp software do you use ?

I think I have a problem with these temp's. I'm currently using Core Temp 0.95.4. I just installed asus utility (PC Probe II). PC Probe II utility indicates a 15C difference. In other words it indicates that my CPU is running 15C cooler....
core temp .95.4 shows the actual temp on each core, asus probe shows the temp between cores. it is typically 10-12c cooler than coretemp, though 15 is not an abnormal diff on that cpu.

how is your case cooling? you might have more problems than you bargained for. those quads generate a ton of heat and need good airflow in the case to get rid of all that hot air. I have a salesman who needs some good airflow, too, now that I think about it...

Aug 1, 2007
you need to buy a 120mm fan to go with that. the TR and tuniq are not TEC's, but they are able to dissipate more heat than the TEC that you have on your cpu.

I don't know what size fan I have... but I have a CM Stacker 830. It has a fan at the back and one on the top... They seem quite big though... I'll take the measuring tape when I get home :)

The CM Stacker 830 had optional fans on the side... but I don't think they fit due to CPU cooler.....

Are you saying that I need additional fans ?

Also, are you suggesting that I should have gone with a better CPU cooler other than Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme ?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
the TR is the best air cooler and is better than most TEC's even. The only air cooler that is close is the tuniq. The tuniq is simpler b/c it comes with a fan and doesn't seem to have some of the product quality issues that seem to crop up a lot on the TR. You will get much better temps with either of these than your TEC. The CM stacker 830 has great airflow. Doesn't that come with 4 side case fans? You should only have to remove one or two of them to install the cpu cooler. You need to buy a 120 mm fan to go with your TR, it ships without a fan. You can actually use it to passively cool a Quad in a case with good airflow, but it really kicks A$$ when you put a 120mm fan on it. make sure that the airflow on the fan is towards one of your exhaust fans.