OC My E7200, Please!

coder3d

Oct 1, 2008
Hello,

I just built a new system and I am trying to overclock my E7200 processor. I have heard that with the combination of my board, ram, and cpu i should be able to get a decent overclock. I am using an ASUS P5QL Pro Board with G.SKILL 2 x 1GB RAM DDR2 PC2-6400 (800Mhz) (4-4-4-12). The default multiplier/fsb is at 9.5 x 266 on this chip I have which makes it 2.53Ghz. I am wanting to get around a total of 3Ghz OC. What is the best way to do this?

What I tryed so far was just setting the FSB in the BIOS to 333 but then I got no post so I had to reset the cmos.

1. Do I make the FSB 316 since the default multi is 9.5 and that would make it 9.5x316=3002Mhz which would give me what I want?

2. Also I should increase the Vcore from the current 1.19 to 1.24(a .05 increase)?

3. Finally if I should drop my RAM what do I drop? The timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 or change the MHZ speed from 800 to something else?

Doing those three things should give me a post after this overclock right?

There is a selection in BIOS dealing with ratio/divider but I wouldnt know which to use. What should I set the ratio to or should I bother with it?

Thanks for any help!

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Seems like you know what to. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Consult this thread; it will answer all your questions.

edit: question about the RAM... just stick in on 5-5-5-15 and a 1:1 divider and you'll be good. On my mobo, if I leave it on auto and don't touch the divider, it does automatically adjust the timings to fit the divider and fsb speed.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
1. Yes, a 316 FSB will give you 3002 mhz on a 9.5 multiplier.
2. Usually this cpu does 3 ghz on stock volts, but if you increase it to 1.24 V for stability, it will be no problem.
3. Let the ram timings as they are, but change the ratio/divider so that it will give your ram less then 800 mhz. You can loose the ram timings ( 5-5-5-15) and increase the voltage of your memory and let the ratio/divider as it is, but that will overclock your ram and it might give you instability problems. First keep it bellow 800 mhz, and after you'll reach your CPU wanted frequency, then you can concentrate on the ram overclock.

And don't forget to deactivate EIST. You can put it back later, but until you overclock it's better to keep it disabled.

coder3d

Oct 1, 2008
Im just worried about having to open the case and reset the cmos again. What is a safe way to go about this? Like I said earlier I tryed to just change the FSB to 333 from 266 and leave everything else alone and that gave me no post... Something else must need to be changed too. What do you all think that is? Do you think simply dropping the RAM timings and changing the voltage alone will prevent this? Or is a divider ram fsb ratio necessary to be set and if so then to what?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: coder3d
Im just worried about having to open the case and reset the cmos again. What is a safe way to go about this? Like I said earlier I tryed to just change the FSB to 333 from 266 and leave everything else alone and that gave me no post... Something else must need to be changed too. What do you all think that is?

One way to do it is to set the Vcore to "Auto" if your MB has that option. Set the FSB you want, and then boot into windows. Check CPU-Z for what the mobo estimated your Vcore needed to be.

Generally, your Mobo will overvolt, but run Orthos/prime etc just to make sure you are good. Then, you can incrementally lower the vcore manually until you start to fail stress testing.

For gawd's sake, please dont listen to people who say "You can get X.Xghz on stock volts". Each chip is different, and there is no guarantee on stock voltage, other than the stock frequency.

Edit: I also see you are on an ASUS. Make sure Transaction Booster is disabled.

coder3d

Oct 1, 2008
The voltage has been on auto and I did change the FSB alone which caused a no post. Transaction booster has the option for auto and manual and when I enter manual everything is disabled anyway. What exactly is that anyway?

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Vageetasjn
hey the unknown: what's your VID? I'm jealous of your clock at that voltage.

VID is 1.0500v. I forget what it is in BIOS but I can check if you want.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: the unknown
hey the unknown: what's your VID? I'm jealous of your clock at that voltage.

VID is 1.0500v. I forget what it is in BIOS but I can check if you want.

I'd like to know...seeing as though mine is on the way. :D
I'm sure I'll get 3.8GHz out of it but I'm greedy....I want 4GHz+ :evil:

Also, what cooling are you using? If air...which cooler?

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Okie, here's all the numbers that I have :D. VID in BIOS (or whatever "normal CPU Voltage" is) is 1.03250v. In BIOS it's set to 1.32500v, idle it sits at 1.280v (vdrop, yes?), and at full load its 1.264v (vdroop I think). Pack date is 07/02/08, so it's an "older" e7200. I hear the "newer" ones have higher VID and overclock less, so there's hope yet.

It sits under a Tunic Tower 120. Temps vary a lot since I don't have air conditioning here, and I live in LA, but they stay under 65C (even when it was 100F today!).

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Hmm. Interesting. I should be getting mine next weekend so I'll post back for sure with my details. Doesn't sound too good, being more than likely a "newer" one I'm getting. Shouldn't be a problem though.

I also have a Tuniq Tower 120 and I'm in Jamaica. :D
So we'll see. :)

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Cheex
Hmm. Interesting. I should be getting mine next weekend so I'll post back for sure with my details. Doesn't sound too good, being more than likely a "newer" one I'm getting. Shouldn't be a problem though.

I also have a Tuniq Tower 120 and I'm in Jamaica. :D
So we'll see. :)

So you can compair notes with a range of cpu's, here is a few of my specs:

E7200 @ 3.6. viv 1.1125v.
1.2875v in bios. GemenII HS lapped, temps @ full load, 50c.
I know I can go a bit further, but this pc has pretty important stuff on it being used by another member of the family and I don't want to mess with it until all tasks are completed.
Been running at this speed, stable, for at least 4 months now.....:)

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Thanks for the specs. The lower the VID, the higher the OC headroom. :thumbsup:

Vageetasjn

Jan 5, 2003
Yeah mine has a vid of 1.1625 and I'm running it at 3.4GHz at 1.275v in bios. It would probably need 1.375 for 3.6ghz and above, so not great.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
You guys are so lucky. My VID is 1.2V. Giving it 1.32V under OCCT Load to achieve the rig in sig specs.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
:(
Why do I think now that I'm not going to achieve what I want.

You will achieve it! When the cpu fails at 4 ghz, just increase and increase and increase the voltage until it's stable. That is what I've been doing and I'm at 1,46 V. :laugh:

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: error8

You will achieve it! When the cpu fails at 4 ghz, just increase and increase and increase the voltage until it's stable. That is what I've been doing and I'm at 1,46 V. :laugh:

Might want to be careful with that voltage:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=428

Believe me, I know it's way over the safe zone. If it dies it dies and I'll get another one. These E7200 are dirt cheap, even in my country. ;)

You gave me a link to the high VTT risk, which has nothing to do with the actual Vcore I'm using. I have my VTT at somewhere around 1,2 V.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Might want to be careful with that voltage:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=428

Believe me, I know it's way over the safe zone. If it dies it dies and I'll get another one. These E7200 are dirt cheap, even in my country. ;)

Now THAT is the spirit!

coder3d

Oct 1, 2008
I appreciate the side notes but can we get back to my original post please. I just want a decent overclock nothing ridiculous like 3.5Ghz at this point. :)

coder3d

Oct 1, 2008
I think im starting to get a good grasp on this....

1. Should I make the FSB 400 and set the CPU Ratio at 7.5, im guessing this is the multiplier, this would make it 7.5x400=3000Mhz?

2. Also I should increase the Vcore from the current 1.19 to 1.24(a .05 increase)?

3. Finally if I should drop my RAM to 5-5-5-15 and leave the MHZ speed to 800?

Doing the following should give a a successful boot at the very least is that correct? Also this is a 1:1 ratio and that is what I want isnt it?

Im hoping that doing all of the above will get rid of my no post problem.

Let me know what I need to do based on this.

Thanks

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Don't drop your multiplier. Increase your Vcore and see if that gives you a post.

coder3d

Oct 1, 2008
I did exactly what I said to achieve a 3Ghz OC and it posted! It is set on a 1:1 ratio. I also was able to keep my RAM at its natural state of 4-4-4-12 at 800mhz.

Thanks for the help guys.