Oblivion questions

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
1)are there community fixes or anything i should do before applying the patch?

2)Can anyone point me to good mods?

3)Are there any tweaks or anything that would help performance?

4)Anything else i should do to make the game better or more fun/tips?

thanks!

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
i just recently started playing oblivion since i built a new rig and have worked with some of the mods available. someone else linked the tesnexus website. that and planet oblivion are probably the best sites to find mods.

mostly... install the official patch. then there's an Unofficial patch that's worth installing that fixes some issues that the official patch didn't catch. I attempted to use a mod called Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul that attempts to make a bunch of changes to the actual gameplay. A lot of these changes sounded good to me... but i had a lot of issues trying to get it to work. ymmv.

Other than that, the only mods i experimented with were the texture replacement ones. the big one is Qarl's Texture Pack... like almost 2gb worth of updated art. but it's worth the download. there's lots of other various texture packs... just browse the most downloaded ones and pick out what you want.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I just recently restarted and am playing through, although I've had the game for a couple of years. I'm running the CallSteed3.0a mod for summoning my horse, MD_Saddle_Bags for saddle bags (these two together make adventuring much more enjoyable for my spellsword, as I can haul more stuff around). I'm also using ShortGrass V3 for better performance, and tag_NaturalWildlife just because the stock wildlife scripts are often stupid. I also have a small mod I made to slightly increase walk speed for myself and mount.

I played with Oscuros the last time around, and I'm still attracted to what it tries to do. The stock levelling can seem quite stupid. All of a sudden at level 22 every bandit my character encounters is equipped with glass, ebony, and daedric armor and weapons, and I'm awash in gold from selling it all. The fights stay very tough, but the downside is you never really conquer your way to the point that you can walk through some place without fear. What used to be a rat in the woods at level 5 is now a Minotaur Lord who stuns for 2 seconds on every slug.

I might give Oscuro's another try if I do a new character.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
If you really want to put forth the effort to completely overhauling the game then I would suggest using FCOM Convergence. FCOM lets you use all the major gameplay mods out there (Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Martigen's Monster Mod, Francesco's, and Oblivion Warcry), which makes the game a thousand times more interesting and just as difficult too. Beware though, you have to put in a good bit of effort in order to make things to smoothly.

Depending on what type of video card you have, I would also check out QTP III and Qarl's Normal LOD Maps.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: coloumb
Originally posted by: shortylickens
1,2,3 and 4 can all be answered easily: www.google.com and http://forums.anandtech.com/search.aspx.
Not trying to be rude, but there are multiple recent threads for all these issues.

EDIT: This is my fave.
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/categories.php

Holy pop-ups from Oblivion hell!! :)

This might be something you're looking for....

Oblivion Must Have Mods List

Wow nice link! Been looking at getting back into this game but just had no clue in must have mods.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Chriscross3234
Beware though, you have to put in a good bit of effort in order to make things to smoothly.

ya... this is why i gave up with OOO. i just recently built this rig so i was eager to jump in and finally gave up on ironing out the problems i was having with OOO. seemed to be a conflict with the UOP causing the ! boxes.

i figure someday i'll want to start a new char and will figure it all out lol

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: coloumb
Originally posted by: shortylickens
1,2,3 and 4 can all be answered easily: www.google.com and http://forums.anandtech.com/search.aspx.
Not trying to be rude, but there are multiple recent threads for all these issues.

EDIT: This is my fave.
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/categories.php

Holy pop-ups from Oblivion hell!! :)

This might be something you're looking for....

Oblivion Must Have Mods List

Very nice. I will have to use that when I get my Video Card back.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I don't mean to thread-jack but is there a mod that addresses what is, in my opinion, unbalanced combat?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
I don't mean to thread-jack but is there a mod that addresses what is, in my opinion, unbalanced combat?
Wise-ass answer:
Yes, its called the Difficulty slider mod, and its already included with the core package.

Helpful answer:
What is, in your opinion, unbalanced about the combat?
If you dont like that enemies auto-level up there are several mods to fix this. If its something else you need to be specific.

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
Yeah awsome game, if you lookin for kicks, bring up the console and type tcl and then hit enter, you can fly!!!!!!!!!!!

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein

I have the same question as the other reply: what's unbalanced about it? Without any levelling mods the combat has stayed quite intense for me right through lvl 23. Does it change later? I recently completed a quest for the mage's guild that involved getting ambushed by three necromancers, and it was a very tough fight that I had to restart several times to win. Seemed about right to me in terms of difficulty.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
If you spend extra time to try to make sure you maximize your levels, it does get easier at higher levels. But I agree with you, I don't have a problem with the combat at all, I think the game is very fun as is.

There are mods to balance combat though. Check the link that coloumb posted, it has a few mods that address that issue.