Obesity problem: Are fast food restaurants responsible or not?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hehe, HJD1, it's just that Amused always tries to use the pretext that I'm too smart for him as a means of avoiding having to defend his points.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Hehe, HJD1, it's just that Amused always tries to use the pretext that I'm too smart for him as a means of avoiding having to defend his points.

And while you're busy stroking your ego, Moonie (too smart?
rolleye.gif
) I'll be busy ignoring you.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hehe, I always love it when I get an announcement I'm being ignored.

We're ignoring you Moonbeam! Oh MOONBEAM, over here MOONBEAM, we're ignoring you! I say, Moonbeam, you are aware, are you not, we're ignoring you?

I'm going to ignore you too Amused. It will be like Amused never existed. I won't ever have to think up another baffling response to an Amused post. Amused who? What is this Amused of which I speak. mark my words, Amused, it's all over for you. You don't exist. From now on Amused is just what happens when something tickles my funny bone. I never heard of Amused. You hear me, Amused?

Sometimes Amused just baffles me. :D

Edit:

"And while you're busy stroking your ego, Moonie (too smart? ) I'll be busy ignoring you. "

Just a quick thanks for pointing out where I was stroking my ego. (too smart) I would have never fIgured that out alone without help. It's you who thinks I'm too smart, not me, so it would have been hard to decode. :D Oh and this edit doesn't mean I'm not ignoring you, cause I am. :D

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I like Grimace. He really should be the McDonald's poster child. I'm sure he eats McDonald's food all the time. There should be posters of Grimace at the entrance to every McDonald's that say, "If you eat here, you'll look like this!"

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
You are clearly weird and of no statistical importance.
Sounds like a dictate an elitist control-freak mentality would make. Of course, it's true nonetheless if weird=rare. I'm certainly one of a kind and my political views are somewhat unique. The Rs and Ds don't bother too much herding my type. Thanks for reminding me who I am.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are clearly weird and of no statistical importance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a dictate an elitist control-freak mentality would make. Of course, it's true nonetheless if weird=rare. I'm certainly one of a kind and my political views are somewhat unique. The Rs and Ds don't bother too much herding my type. Thanks for reminding me who I am.
-------------------
Sounded like a complement just as intended if you ask me. :D And you are welcome, WeirdO! :D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Well... Beamer... I suggested in a post somewhere that you'd be so upset that you'd cause your reflection to hide... and low and behold... I see that you have...
Now we deserve to know... Did you do this because your Jelly Belly was a shakin or were you slightly amused at the notion of the motion... Given that you tag the Pepsi Lite folks with E lite status... me thinks you'll allow your reflection to once again shine through and we'll all be Amused...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is a tough game, here, HJD1. I get called elite because I know something even though what it is I know is that I don't know anything. Most people would be surprised to learn just how much easier it is to recognize elitism when you know nothing as compared to when you do. Naturally those who know something hope to escape with it intact, but the price for knowing you know nothing is everything you know. They say you can dazzle um with brilliance or baffle um with BS, but I've found that if you want to really curl their socks, tell the truth.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
MB. They say you can dazzle um with brilliance or baffle um with BS, but I've found that if you want to really curl their socks, tell the truth.[/quote]

Directly telling someone they are full of poo poo takes guts.. and confidence coupled with a deep understanding of reality. All this spread amongst a variety of topics. Or perhaps simply a view so basic that to get there requires much in the way of humility.... purity and an ego so sated it needs not be filled with anything but the selflessness of its reality.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Blah it's so much more fun or easier for us baboons project our own feces into the face of the nearest onlooker this way we don't have to think/

I think moondoggie and LSD1 are related:p

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Blah it's so much more fun or easier for us baboons project our own feces into the face of the nearest onlooker this way we don't have to think/

I think moondoggie and LSD1 are related:p

Lysergic acid di..... or were you attempting to join the...... how do I say it..... the illuminati?

;)

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Shhhhh its secret..... and intellectual as well...;)

But to join you first must run naked through the forum... that way you are sure to be unnoticed and secure in the society of the galactically inferior... then as you progress downward in superiority and become one with the elements your essence will reak of ideosyncraticness and sage... at this point you will have achieved the Zen of nubilousness... the highest order of the sect... or lowest as is appropriate to the observer.

There is a penalty, however..... as in all things you must give much to gain much... and the much you must give is the gain.... the refrain of the brain.... to untrain... to assimilate and digest but, never... well hardly ever... resort to glossolalia.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
On a side note me and my dog talk glossolalia, or rather I talk had he listens. Nawis nagogo abamba, zabos Gawis jabo. Nowi nowi nambo. Howis.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
On a side note me and my dog talk glossolalia, or rather I talk had he listens. Nawis nagogo abamba, zabos Gawis jabo. Nowi nowi nambo. Howis.

It would not surprise me to learn this if I did...;) Although the utterances indicate to this Jedi inferior... your oneness with oneness... A Cairn listens well disguised as a canine but, truly a noble one he must be.... or she.

Nawis nagogo abamba.... It's time to go beloved friend...
Zabos Gawis Jabo..... The Leash is lost...
Nowi nowi nambo.... Right this minute " insert name"
Howis... Ok... if you really must eat first I'll fix your din din... and scratch your back and a bath if you want it as well as a clip...no clip ok... a walk as soon as I turn my belt into one of those halter thingys...

How'd I do?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You did good. Did you ever see that joke about what a dog hears when you talk to him. Blah blah blah, Tuffy. Blah blah blah Tuffy blah. I just take the guess work out of it for him. :D

A guy goes into a bar with a talking dog. The bartender says a free drink if he can tell me the greatest ball player of all time. Ruff, says the dog. Ruff. The bartender throws um out. The guy looks at his dog and says, "Why the hell did you say Ruth?" Dog, "What did you expect me to say, Damagio?"

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I took Joey (my little silkie guy) into Von's one day because it was hot... too hot to let him stay in the car.. shoulda left him home but, anyhow... while in line waiting to check out, Joey who has a thing for string... spied a young lady wearing a bikini top... I had him in this bag I set up for him.. a canvas thing so his head can stick out but, he can't escape.. well he could but, he don't or hasn't yet... anyhow... as I'm putting the stuff on the counter he grabs the end of the string and shaking his head pulls and pulls almost yanking the girls top off... The girl, thinking this is the funniest thing to happen in awhile... finally gets control of her top and with a serious face and all, looks right at Joey and say's "If you say Damagio... I'll marry you!" I now know what she meant... I was too embarassed to ask at the time... True story..

I don't take him to von's anymore.... I live a block from the beach though...;)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting approach Moonie.

Freedom isn't perfect, therefore abandon the idea completely and make everyone a slave. At least then we'll all be equally un-free, huh?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If you could be more specific, Bober, I could probably answer. I'm just not sure what my interesting approach is. I think an all this or all that isn't usually very useful. Always, some third way.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You attack Amused for his belief in freedom and apparently you don't feel he backs it up.
You have an idealized notion of freedom. I asked about compulsive and neurotic behavior. Who is free? Are children free, or do they submit to parental control and why? When do they grow up? Do all people mature at the same rate? Do the mentally retarded get to live with free choice? How about the criminal? Are you elitist enough to lock him away? Do abused children grow up with the same rational choice-making-powers as children from loving homes? Are there greater and lesser degrees of intelligence, is there something like a better and a worse?
But why should he back it up? Read libertarian essays. The ideas have been written about ad nauseam. Why should he reinvent the theory every time one of these political threads comes up.

No system will be perfect because people aren't perfect. Some of us believe that a system which provides the most people the most freedoms, as imperfect as it may be, is the best option.

People like you seem to feel that nobody is capable of perfection, therefore everyone should be controlled by those who consider themselves closest to perfection, i.e. yourself and politicians. But then you never back up your theories either, so I have no idea what the f*** you're REALLY talking about either.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
nobody's putting a gun to people's head and forcing them to supersize the big mac extra value meal. Hell, I lost a lot of weight while eating MacDonald's sludge. I would get an EVM every day, not supersize it, and have a diet pop. BY doing that and eating healthy the rest of the day, I lost 35 lbs.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The viability of a theory increases as the precept of that theory becomes clear.. or is proven true or accepted as true in practice. It is at this point the theory becomes the precept. When what has been propounded again and again but not found true or accepted as true, by reasonable people, the requirement for constant refortification and debate on the merits of its viability and the underlying premise or premises is not only expected but often demanded.

That no person is perfect or that all perfection is an illusion can hardly be debated to any conclusion. Each sees what each can see and rationalizes with what visions persist from a life time of existance in an enviornment where no two can stand identically.

Hence, and therefore, It is prudent to try and see a bit beyond the accepted view if for no other reason than to widen the enviornment to include just that little bit more.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
HJD1: The viability of a theory increases as the precept of that theory becomes clear.. or is proven true or accepted as true in practice. It is at this point the theory becomes the precept. When what has been propounded again and again but not found true or accepted as true, by reasonable people, the requirement for constant refortification and debate on the merits of its viability and the underlying premise or premises is not only expected but often demanded.

That no person is perfect or that all perfection is an illusion can hardly be debated to any conclusion. Each sees what each can see and rationalizes with what visions persist from a life time of existence in an environment where no two can stand identically.

Hence, and therefore, It is prudent to try and see a bit beyond the accepted view if for no other reason than to widen the environment to include just that little bit more.
------------------------------------
What I see here as an affirmation of the notion that questioning is good. :D So Bober also has questions. That's good:

Bober: But why should he back it up? Read libertarian essays. The ideas have been written about ad nauseam. Why should he reinvent the theory every time one of these political threads comes up.

No system will be perfect because people aren't perfect. Some of us believe that a system which provides the most people the most freedoms, as imperfect as it may be, is the best option.

People like you seem to feel that nobody is capable of perfection, therefore everyone should be controlled by those who consider themselves closest to perfection, i.e. yourself and politicians. But then you never back up your theories either, so I have no idea what the f*** you're REALLY talking about either.
-----------------------------
Well I did read Libertarian essays and came to the conclusion that it was just another power grab, a rationalization of the notion of private property. I had a big thread about it and Amused didn't say much. He dismissed the whole thing out of hand, but couldn't argue it. Just the usual platitudes, like BS baffling, indignation without substance. Moonbeams points are beneath my dignity to respond to. RIIIIIGHT!

You however have made a case for yourself and challenged me to lay out mine. That's cool, that's how it should be, no?

OK first to what you have said. No system is perfect because people aren't. (Note that just a sentence or two farther along you accuse me of "People like you seem to feel that nobody is capable of perfection..." a seeming contradiction or double standard of some sort, no? but anyway) Well so if no system is perfect why have a system? Why think systematically? Why involve yourself in an ideology at all. Why not simply stare at life in amazement and wonder, without opinion of conclusion. Why not just see what is, that man is asleep in the grips of ideologies, this or that view of which he is certain. Why not be uncertain, free, really free, unattached, aware.

"Some of us believe that a system which provides the most people the most freedoms, as imperfect as it may be, is the best option." Some of us believe that a system is a prison for the mind, as I suggest above.

People like you seem to feel that nobody is capable of perfection, (Not true, I feel that man is perfectible. I believe that is what an Avatar is, a perfect man.) therefore everyone should be controlled by those who consider themselves closest to perfection, i.e. yourself and politicians. (Not so, I am far from perfect as any politician. I do suggest, though, that there are levels of development and that one person may be more aware than the next and that teaching sort of is a reflection of that fact) But then you never back up your theories either, so I have no idea what the f*** you're REALLY talking about either. (Well mostly I'm not talking about anything. I believe that to learn is to unlearn and that learning can't take place without unlearning. We are ego maniacs in my opinion, stuffed full of crap we believe without questioning. We fear uncertainty and cling like frightened monkeys to our branches of security, out opinions about the meaning of life. What if everything we know is absolutely upside down to reality. Hehe, it is, no? How is anybody going to cross a river with their thousand pounds of cabbage. I want the truth, but I have to have my cabbage too.

What I do is look at things, all the wonderful dreams we have and say, no not that. Truth is the universe and the way there is through the mirror of the heart. I don't have a system to push. I try to sell the notion that what we need is mirror polish. If you want some kind of answer, some theory of reality from me, all I can do is sing a song

What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love
No, not just for some, but for everyone

Lord we don't need another mountain
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb
There are oceans and rivers enought to cross
Enough to last till the end of time

Lord, we don't need another meadow
There are cornfields and wheatfields enough to grow
There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine
Oh listen lord, if you wanna know

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
mooneration says,
What I see here as an affirmation of the notion that questioning is good. So Bober also has questions. That's good:

How come you can say the same thing in so few words... ?;)

About the more salient issue;
What I hear in you post is akin to the phenomenalism theory... with a twist. (not a last tango) that which is is phenomenon because no other knowledge is knowable. Perfection can be measured but, against what standard???? that is one of those unknowables... no?
To truly know everything is to know nothing but, that it is a phenomenon. Hmmm sounds plausable. I know only that I know I exist... all else may mearly be a figment of my imagination... a phenomenon... I could be perfect if I am the only one... all the rest is not real...
Freud... also unreal... and the rest of his era and before said that only one thing motivates people.... But, my buddy Jung... said four things do... plus Ext vs Int...
Of course Jung is correct... I agree with him and I exist... he may not therefore, I agree with me and must be correct and thereby perfect... as an example...
Yes... me thinks you be a phenomenalogist... too!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK first to what you have said. No system is perfect because people aren't. (Note that just a sentence or two farther along you accuse me of "People like you seem to feel that nobody is capable of perfection..." a seeming contradiction or double standard of some sort, no? but anyway)
There's no contradiction, you just quit reading before you got to the end of that sentence. I believe that imperfection is the reason FOR freedom whereas you seem to me to view imperfection as the reason AGAINST freedom. You appear to me to shun freedom because of it's imperfection. If not every man can have freedom, then no man can have freedom.

I believe perfection is unattainable. To be perfect, one would have to be everything, which is impossible. For example, is a perfect person cruel? One would hope not. But to attain perfection one would have to be perfectly cruel while simultaneously perfectly kind. Perfection itself is a contradiction.
Well so if no system is perfect why have a system? Why think systematically? Why involve yourself in an ideology at all. Why not simply stare at life in amazement and wonder, without opinion of conclusion. Why not just see what is, that man is asleep in the grips of ideologies, this or that view of which he is certain. Why not be uncertain, free, really free, unattached, aware.
I might like to live in this Utopia you describe. It's a fantasy that will never be realized unfortunately. In order for such a non-system to exist, everybody would have to agree not to take advantage of the fact that there were no system in place. That agreement is itself a system. Without this agreement, the first person to step outside of that system-created-to-avoid-a-system and try to carve power or possessions out for himself would require the others to stop him, or have their world ended. These systems are the cause of and solution to all of the worlds problems. The reason Hitler had so much power was because there was a system at his disposal. The only way we stopped him was with a system. It's a horrible catch-22.