Obama's promise of ending no-bid contracts...broken.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Exactly, it was a corrupt deal, but not for the reason you put in the title. It has nothing to do with being no-bid.

What are you blabbering about?

Did Obama promise to end no bid contracts? Yes.
Did Obama issue a memo to end no bid contracts? Yes.
Did Obama award a no bid contract? Yes.

My title is factually correct.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Generalize much? :rolleyes:

That is all he does really, make a blanket vile filled post of rage without really discussing anything pertinent. It is his MO, and probably why people rarely respond and discuss things with him. He is like the kid in the back of the room that can't add anything halfway intelligent to the discussion, so he has to lash out to get attention. Just what this forum needs. :rolleyes:

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000

Its not a no-bid contract, its a sole source contract. If you need assistance understanding what that is I even put bullet points with examples.

This is something nobody else makes. Who would bid for it? The corruption comes from there being questionable use for it and questionable ties to the manufacturer not the fact that it wasn't up for bid.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
ahhh, the ol' "I don't trust your source, even if it is a national publication" argument.

No, it's the 'ol "I don't trust editorials as a source of facts" argument. If you do, you're a fool.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That is all he does really, make a blanket vile filled post of rage without really discussing anything pertinent. It is his MO, and probably why people rarely respond and discuss things with him. He is like the kid in the back of the room that can't add anything halfway intelligent to the discussion, so he has to lash out to get attention. Just what this forum needs. :rolleyes:
Sometimes he can make a good point. He's just very, very angry so he usually doesn't bother.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Its not a no-bid contract, its a sole source contract. If you need assistance understanding what that is I even put bullet points with examples.

This is something nobody else makes. Who would bid for it? The corruption comes from there being questionable use for it and questionable ties to the manufacturer not the fact that it wasn't up for bid.
Any non-generic drug purchase from the manufacturer is inherently a no-bid contract, as are all sole source contracts by definition. Can't competitively bid something available from only one source. There is not a significant difference between saying only one company can do this, and only one company makes this, assuming both claims are true.

WRT ST-246, Cidofovir is currently used to treat monkeypox and variola vaccinia, and has at least been proposed as an anti-viral for variola small pox. It has significant side affects and must be used in conjunction with other drugs, but since ST-246 is not yet being used to treat other variola virus infections if memory serves, we can't say it's necessarily effective without side effects either, although it is being touted as a wonder drug.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Your own OP says your pants are on fire...

End Abuse of No-Bid Contracts: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will end abuse of no-bid contracts by requiring that nearly all contract orders over $25,000 be competitively awarded.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Your own OP says your pants are on fire...
Abuse in this case meaning the issuance of no-bid contracts by persons other than Democrats.

EDIT: I know you can't actually hold more than one thought at a time, or even one whole thought at one time, but the quote you distorted actually holds the proof that the OP is in fact not wearing pants in high-order oxidation.

End Abuse of No-Bid Contracts: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will end abuse of no-bid contracts by requiring that nearly all contract orders over $25,000 be competitively awarded.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Abuse in this case meaning the issuance of no-bid contracts by persons other than Democrats.

EDIT: I know you can't actually hold more than one thought at a time, or even one whole thought at one time, but the quote you distorted actually holds the proof that the OP is in fact not wearing pants in high-order oxidation.
oopsie

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
List of those orders that have vs have not been competitively awarded would prove very interesting

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
List of those orders that have vs have not been competitively awarded would prove very interesting
Yes it would. It's really key to understanding how well or how poorly Obama has done at meeting this promise. The single example given in this thread is useless, one anecdotal data point served with a ton of flaming partisan hyperbole.

Mind you I agree this specific example stinks of favoritism, but it's only one example out of who knows how many thousands and thousands of such federal government purchases each year. Context is key.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

There seems to be some dispute about that.

From Huffington and LA Times

The Obama administration could have awarded the contract to Chimerix as the only eligible small-business applicant. Or it could have reopened the competition to companies of any size. Instead, the administration moved to block all companies -- except Siga -- from bidding on a second offering of the contract.
In early December, officials completed a required "justification for other than full and open competition," which said an antiviral against smallpox was needed within five years and Siga was the only company able to meet that timetable.
The rationale was questioned by some in HHS, including contracting officer Brian K. Goodger, who in an internal email called it "a stretch."
On Feb. 18, HHS terminated the original contract and requested a proposal from Siga.
Siga and government officials soon began tangling over the price the company would be paid. Because the contract was no longer to be awarded based on competition and because the only customer was the government, officials sought to assess whether the company's proposed price was "fair and reasonable," as required by federal law.
In so doing, officials looked at how much government money had already gone into developing ST-246. Public records show $115 million in federal support, not including the stockpile contract.​

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I dunno...his mission was to successfully land on a carrier. That was accomplished. In my view, that means the sign was correct. :)

For reals dude? You really think that is what the sign was for? lol, good one.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
uh no i completely disagree. he was smart for promising it because idiots ate it up, politicians and promises lol.... idiots.

humm he promised to immediately close Gitmo.....

its amazing how many morons actually thought that gitmo would be closed. bwhahahahahah

sheep.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So your position is that as long as the Messiah only occasionally awards a $433 million contract to a big time campaign contributor in return for an unproven drug that no one thinks we need to stop a disease no longer found in nature for which we have stockpiled more vaccine doses than we have people, it's not abuse. But of course if he did that a lot, then you'd stop backing him. Gotcha. I believe you too. Really. (Sorry, I can't type that with a straight face.)

Best $600,000 Siga could have spent, you betcha.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
humm he promised to immediately close Gitmo.....

its amazing how many morons actually thought that gitmo would be closed. bwhahahahahah

sheep.
I give him a pass on that. I believe that's one of his campaign promises he actually intended to carry out. But when both parties unite against you and your show trial blows up in your face, it's not worth the political capital it would take to fight that battle, even assuming (which I don't) that he could win.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There seems to be some dispute about that.

From Huffington and LA Times

[/INDENT]
Just to play Devil's advocate, it's not at all clear that the contract could have been awarded to Chimerix, as their drug is also not approved and from what I understand has significant side affects that ST-246 does not.

It's also clear why the price went from $170 to $255 per dose. PIP sued and won a judgement for 50% of the profits from ST-246. That's the beauty of buying politicians - you can just get your no-bid price jacked up to cover unexpected loss of profit.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So your position is that as long as the Messiah only occasionally awards a $433 million contract to a big time campaign contributor in return for an unproven drug that no one thinks we need to stop a disease no longer found in nature for which we have stockpiled more vaccine doses than we have people, it's not abuse. But of course if he did that a lot, then you'd stop backing him. Gotcha. I believe you too. Really. (Sorry, I can't type that with a straight face.)

Best $600,000 Siga could have spent, you betcha.
No, my position specifically is that the OP's pants are indeed on fire. The rest of that is all in your head.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
No, my position specifically is that the OP's pants are indeed on fire. The rest of that is all in your head.

Can you provide definitive proof this was a sole source bid? If so, no promise broken (in this case). And, really, Im not having a tizzy fit over this. I mean, we're all used to him breaking promises at this point. So whats one more?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That would be in your head too if you were capable of thinking beyond "No! Obama GOOD! Republicans BAD!"

For the only way you can defend this action AND his campaign promise is to assume that at the very least it's occasionally all right for him to award these kinds of contracts. My corollary to that is the assumption that you will defend any level of such contracts as long as it's a Democrat making them, while also attacking any such awards by any Republican.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Can you provide definitive proof this was a sole source bid? If so, no promise broken (in this case). And, really, Im not having a tizzy fit over this. I mean, we're all used to him breaking promises at this point. So whats one more?

You created a thread on the issue. We can only assume you consider it relatively important.