Obama's plan would "bankrupt" coal plants, by his own admission.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Conservatives are so short-minded. We need to move AWAY from coal, that is not the future. That is a dead end.

To create jobs, revitalize our economy, and lead the world again in technological achievement we must lead the way in developing new sources of renewable energy. This stupid "drill, baby, drill" represents the true ignorance and stupidity of Conservatives and their failed ideology. Failed, miserable, ideology.

And please tell us which magical energy source will replace 50% of our countries energy production?
I'll take a failed ideoglogy that works anyday over one based on fantasy land which relies on a miracle. You think we are going to perform the equivalent of turning water into wine in the energy sector?
Mexico's Coal fired power plants, which we will sell them the coal for, of course. Rail infrastructure is already there. They are already building the plants. Transmission lines are cheap. Gotta love that NAFTA.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: daniel49
you liberals

I stopped right here. Biased opinion holds little value.

its refreshing to know you completely ignore mainstream media.

You don't need to ignore it completely in order to decipher it and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Within that post of yours, which I took the time to read after all, there were no fruits to taste. Nothing but biased rhetoric.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Conservatives are so short-minded. We need to move AWAY from coal, that is not the future. That is a dead end.

To create jobs, revitalize our economy, and lead the world again in technological achievement we must lead the way in developing new sources of renewable energy. This stupid "drill, baby, drill" represents the true ignorance and stupidity of Conservatives and their failed ideology. Failed, miserable, ideology.

And please tell us which magical energy source will replace 50% of our countries energy production?
I'll take a failed ideoglogy that works anyday over one based on fantasy land which relies on a miracle. You think we are going to perform the equivalent of turning water into wine in the energy sector?
Mexico's Coal fired power plants, which we will sell them the coal for, of course. Rail infrastructure is already there. They are already building the plants. Transmission lines are cheap. Gotta love that NAFTA.
Sadly this is probably the truth. We will export the power to Mexico along with the jobs, the polution, and pay an inflated price but feel all warm and fuzzy that we are doing something about the environment.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

They're using supercritical fluid extraction in oil fields now? haha...awesome!
The algae farming is the thing that really interests me. Good for fertilizer and feed, and the power plant was substantially expanding their algae farm because it was working out so well. According to their spokesperson, it is turning into a great side-business.

I don't know why they haven't genetically engineered e. coli to produce biodiesel yet. Put in a few genes, it starts pumping out arachidonic acid or some other long-chain fatty acid, and BAM! No muss, no fuss gas. Grow your own! Just make sure you wash your hands so you don't get the shits :-D
I never heard of that, thanks for the info,. :beer: I will have to read up on it.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Oh, I don't think there's any info on it. I just made it up, but it sounds like a great idea. The molecules are already made by the cell, the machinery is there, they would just have to overexpress the proteins that make lipids. I'm sure it's possible, most big pharma companies design drugs, and instead of actually using a chemist to make it, genetically engineer bacteria to do it. I imagine this is most effective for drugs that are peptides, but I think it's been done for small molecules as well. If you get rich off this idea, you owe me some money :p

Edit: I lied. Apparently I'm not as original as I thought!

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Oh, I don't think there's any info on it. I just made it up, but it sounds like a great idea. The molecules are already made by the cell, the machinery is there, they would just have to overexpress the proteins that make lipids. I'm sure it's possible, most big pharma companies design drugs, and instead of actually using a chemist to make it, genetically engineer bacteria to do it. I imagine this is most effective for drugs that are peptides, but I think it's been done for small molecules as well. If you get rich off this idea, you owe me some money :p

Yeah, supposedly this is also what many chemists believe to be the future of polymers as well. Bioengineer plants such that the polymer basically just grows itself. Lots of money in bioengineering as long as the envirowackos (term used to distinguish between true environmentalists) don't prevent such things with their scare tactics.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: mect

Yeah, supposedly this is also what many chemists believe to be the future of polymers as well. Bioengineer plants such that the polymer basically just grows itself. Lots of money in bioengineering as long as the envirowackos (term used to distinguish between true environmentalists) don't prevent such things with their scare tactics.

I don't know, polymers have a lot of growth already. Chemists have developed some damn clever ways to make them. Grubbs metathesis can pretty much make any damn sort of polymer you want, to include drug delivery systems, peptide analogues, etc. I tend to find polymer chemistry kinda boring, although my buddy upstairs would beg to differ.