Obama's culpability in oil spill?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Ok so you agree that neither Bush nor Obama should be held responsible for these two disasters? Or shall I still expect to see your trolling ass in every BP oil spill thread calling for Obama's resignation over it?

The government told people to leave and they choose to stay.
Obama has shown ZERO leadership around this disaster.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You know that there were people in hospitals and sick and poor that dont have the means to leave. You know they were told to go to the dome and wait it out.

They had the means to leave. Louisiana and New Orleans screwed up the evacuation magnificently. Remember the bus debacle?

If you want to pin Katrina on Bush, then go for it. Just accept what the other side does to Obama.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I blame Obama for not nationalizing the oil sector and having the government run it.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

What do you expect them to do, WALK out of the way of an impending hurricane? That is hardly a viable option. If you don't have a car or the means to buy a bus/plane ticket (which may not be available due to a hurricane), the best option available is to go to a local shelter or stay right where you are and hope for the best. For the poor/old/ill, there is very little choice at all.

What in terms of leadership would you have Obama do that he isn't already? Leave it up to the free market to fix? lolz...

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Does anyone really believe that the US Government's job is to drill for oil?
Why do you think that the Feds should actually take over since they own NO ASSETS that can be used for oil drilling and production?

People cannot work at that depth, and a submarine is limited as to what it can perform in this capacity.

Torpedo it - for what result? To sink the BOP?
The goddamned BOP is the height of a 5 story building.
The containment cap they tried was the size of a 3 story apartment complex.
It didn't work.

Nuke it? do you really believe that would have a chance of closing a hole where the pressure is pushing up
at somthing like 75,000 PSI?
Yeah, we really need a hundred foot wide hole pushing radioactive oil out of a hole a mile deep in the ocean.

Quick! - Lets dredge up some barrier islands!
Sure, lets destroy the ocean floor just off the coastline to get unlimited volumes of sand.
We don't have huge quantities of sand available to dump on the edge of the coastline to protect the shoreline,
and all that will accomplish is to keep any equipment that can be used to collect the oil from getting in close enough to function.

If the most advanced Petrochemical Engineers in the world cannot come up with a viable solution
do you think that some mindless redneck bigot has a better solution?

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009

You mean leadership in response to the non-disaster that the progressives are making up in order to pass regulations?

Patranus said:
The amount of oil spilled in the Gulf of Mexico is a blip compared to other oil spills.

This is nothing more than the "progressive" getting their panties in a bunch to try and push for "climate change" legislation.

Patranus said:
Even 5,000 barrels per day for 30 days doesn't even come close to the top 10.

But that is assuming a worst case scenario of 30 days.

Patranus said:
I understand. All I am pointing out is that the disaster isn't nearly what the media is making it out to be and that you see the "progressives" position themselves to use this story to halt off shore drilling and pushing for "energy reform"/Cap & Tax.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
This thread is full of hack.

Government regulations are bad since it cripples the free market, but it's Obama's fault because.. something.

Obama can't do much about the spill, but he has shown poor leadership.

Ok.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
You mean leadership in response to the non-disaster that the progressives are making up in order to pass regulations?

Apparently you missed the part where the facts of the situation have changed.
Not only is more oil gushing out of the well than when I made those comments but my comments also relied on the 30 day time table that was outlined. Neither of these assumptions were correct.

If the original number of barrels were leaking per day as originally reported and the leak only lasted 30 days, the amount of oil would have been a blip compared to other disasters.

Is more oil leaking? Yes.
Has it been more than 30 days? Yes

And yes, the Democrats will use this disaster to push for Cap & Tax.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I haven't read the 2nd page of the thread, but I will say this: the 1990 law that capped BP's damages, was, in fact passed by a democratic congress, and signed into law by a RINO President. Obama didn't care to do anything about repealing it until after the fact. This IS mostly Obama's fault. He also received more from BP than any other candidate. Obama is just as culpable as BP and he needs to stop pointing fingers at people other than himself. It pisses me off how he's too damn immature to take responsibility for anything.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Wow... talk about stupid racist bigot morons...

I live in a suburb of Metro New Orleans - this is literaly happening on our back yard.

Every day I hear stupid remarks made by illiterates as to how this should be just turned off,
like the Government has some miracle valve that they just have to use to stop it.

Goofballs call in to the local talk shows and blame everyone except BP and themselves for the spill.

Yes, stupid racist bigot morons is the operative mentality at work around here.

Read (or if you can't read, listen to) our local WWL radio Talk Show Host Garland Robinette's 'Open Letter'
- you just might learn something.

http://www.wwl.com/VIDEO--Garland-Robinette-s-letter-to-President-Oba/7346874

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Apparently you missed the part where the facts of the situation have changed.
Not only is more oil gushing out of the well than when I made those comments but my comments also relied on the 30 day time table that was outlined. Neither of these assumptions were correct.

If the original number of barrels were leaking per day as originally reported and the leak only lasted 30 days, the amount of oil would have been a blip compared to other disasters.

Is more oil leaking? Yes.
Has it been more than 30 days? Yes

And yes, the Democrats will use this disaster to push for Cap & Tax.

What do you want? You keep whining, but not really saying much of substance. You want the government to take responsibility for the running the oil sector or not? If you want to hold the federal government responsible then you need to officially give them that responsibility and nationalize the oil sector.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I haven't read the 2nd page of the thread, but I will say this: the 1990 law that capped BP's damages, was, in fact passed by a democratic congress, and signed into law by a RINO President. Obama didn't care to do anything about repealing it until after the fact. This IS mostly Obama's fault. He also received more from BP than any other candidate. Obama is just as culpable as BP and he needs to stop pointing fingers at people other than himself. It pisses me off how he's too damn immature to take responsibility for anything.

Wrong, lol.

This is not a natural disaster. This is an accident by a private company, that unfortunately the right has openly criticized Obama for making comments that BP should be held responsible. This is from the very beginning. You can't have it both ways. You can't use his comments on BP when this first happened as further proof of him pushing government intervention to far into private companies. Now when the private company has failed to address it with success and you see how bad it is, blame Obama for not doing anything about it sooner. You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth. And its irrelevant when this law was passed, who was in control, or who was president. Back in 1990, 75 million was a lot of money then. And the industry has changed since then, with greater rewards and risks, but it has not been re-evaluated.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
They had the means to leave. Louisiana and New Orleans screwed up the evacuation magnificently. Remember the bus debacle?

If you want to pin Katrina on Bush, then go for it. Just accept what the other side does to Obama.

Oh, yes 'The Buses' - the ones that were shown sitting in a repair yard because they belonged to the school district and were sitting in a storage and overhaul facillity before being worked on and returned to service.

Satellite image, {7567 Almonaster Boulevard, New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana}, 1/4 mile from the MRGO channel
where the storm surge overtopped the banks of the shipping channel, and indundated all of New Orleans East.
{Cut & Paste}
Use 'Street View' when you get there, they still fix the school busses.

And the Hurricane hit 3 days before those who were receiving Federal assistance, 'Welfare Checks' would have been delivered.

Last edited:

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I can't see blaming Obama for the disaster. It's not like he could have foreseen it or reviewed every possible faulty government regulation since he's been in office. His response might now have been amazing but what is he really supposed to do after the fact? And while this is a big deal he does have other things to worry about, being the President and all.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
A 1/2 term senator who has no executive experience.
Obama lack of any real experience is very apparent.